Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

This is literally the worst piece of animation I have ever seen in my life and I have, unfortunately, seen a few episodes of Family Guy. Let's mash together the laziest Trump jokes possible, complete with a *~wacky~* Putin parody. I hope The Simpsons ends soon and whoever wrote that is murdered violently.

The Simpsons looks pretty bad in HD with digital animation too.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The weirdest part to me is Fox could end the series tomorrow and continue the syndication everywhere to rake in the billions for the next 2+ decades without becoming increasingly sadder as it hits newer lows. Just give the franchise its dignity.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

death by computer posted:

It was the time Homer tripped on MDMA with Lena Dunham to a Spacemen 3 song.

e: Here's the clip because a sentence like that really needs context to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVdLSPE7qo

I'm not sure if this fetid pile of garbage or Homer Votes is worse, but they're both really loving bad and I wish The Simpsons was given a fitting, dignified sendoff like 15 years ago because it hasn't been culturally relevant since like 1999 or so.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Libelous Slander posted:

just for "fun" I looked into what episode had natalie portman..

that was in 2007. it's been a bad show for so long

The Natalie Portman episode happened to be on in the background on some channel (FX?) in my house a few weeks back and it was so, so bad. There were basically no jokes and the episode was completely devoid of humor, as if they just wanted it to be horribly uncomfortable like an episode of Big Bang Theory or whatever garbage sitcom.

I can't even imagine how sad the new episodes are in goddamn season 28 if 2007 had episodes that lovely.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

"Armin Tanzarian episode" - whether you like or hate the episode, it just happened to fall right at the beginning of season 9. There's a drastic difference between season 8 and season 9 due to Mike Scully taking over as showrunner and feeling that the show should be edgier and that the rules the show had established for itself should be challenged.

The Principal and The Pauper isn't even that bad by terrible episode standards. Yeah, it's a garbage concept for an episode and insults the viewer's intelligence, but pick out any random episode from, let's say, 2007 to the present, and Armin Tanzarian is a brilliant idea in contrast. At least there is a concept behind that episode vs. some run-of-the-mill zombie afterthought that came years later.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

I was pretty sad when I realized even the Halloween episodes were no longer good. Something about dolphins taking over and Ned running a biblical-themed haunted house that just had... no jokes.

I was still watching new Simpsons episodes every once in a while back in middle/high school around 1999-2000 and I remember the painfully dull dolphins bit was close to my last straw with the show. Treehouse of Horror is supposed to be goofy, bizarre, slightly scary, and most of all, still really funny in a creepy way. But it seems like they already forgot that formula like 16 years ago. :(

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 8, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Space Crabs posted:

That doesn't sound very funny, Simpsons.

I think the saddest part of this, besides the fact that such a lovely episode concept exists, is the staff killed off Homer's mom as a one-off character because they're too deathly afraid of maybe shaking up the status quo a bit. Only one old family member can show up every once in a while! The viewers might be too scared otherwise!!!!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

:mrwhite:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Thin Privilege posted:

The new ones from this are awful. Before it was kind of but not 100% sure that he was gay, it was more of a *wink*wink* thing, if that makes any sense. The new ones were literally "I'm flaming! *burns stares into the camera* and Bart saying "I thought you were..." "not if I use this 10 times a day! *Smithers injects himself with something* "I love boobies!"

They're also missing the scene where Smithers turns on his computer and the startup window is naked burns saying "hello.smithers. You.are.quite.good.at.turning.me.on" "uh...you probably should ignore that"

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSHIYxdRs

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but anyways. Not that I've seen this episode or the vast, vast majority of any newer episodes, but I hear there was a recent episode where Smithers blatantly comes out as gay, Mr. Burns rejects him, and he has a short-lived romance with some stereotypically gay dude. Mr. Burns and Smithers later reunite and forgive each other, because of course they do and The Simpsons is unable to have any character progression whatsoever. It really, really made me never want to watch the show again... and I've never had the urge to watch a new episode for like 15 years.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Speaking of incredibly dumb episodes about Bart and music, I read about a newer episode where Bart finds out he has a secret talent for jazz. Which he uses to torment Lisa endlessly for the entire episode, because of course why not?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Tom Goes to the Mayor is actually pretty funny but I don't think it's understandable if you didn't grow up in the Midwest. I have a good friend who spent his childhood in a tiny rural Nebraska town and he says the show is very true-to-life.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Okay so we've talked about the first signs of getting lovely in general being in season 9, but what's the lowest? Like above with the Lena Dunham? Before that? Like when did it become unwatchable? I'm going with like...season 13

The 12th Treehouse of Horror was the first one that was completely humorless and dull with no funny or creative segments. It had the infamous dolphin bit that had literally no jokes and just wouldn't end. While I'm sure the Halloween specials have only declined further into the garbage chute from there, it was the last time I bothered with new Simpsons episodes and that was already after I was giving up on the series.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Whatev posted:

Randomly watched a bad episode on youtube yesterday so here is a really embarrassing bit from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kknltynNco

It's almost like every clip from a later season linked in this thread is successively more and more impossibly bad and painfully unfunny. I would be embarrassed if my friends and family knew I worked on that. How could an animator, writer, voice actor, or any of the staff involved in that scene live knowing they worked on that trash?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's very weird how they're so reluctant to replace the aging and/or dead voice actors who can't play their characters anymore, but maybe Julie Kavner and the other top-billing VAs have the most insanely expensive contracts to buy out or Fox is just lazy as hell and doesn't care.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc have literally never run into this issue before, but I guess Disney is uniquely equipped to gently caress this up.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

YeahTubaMike posted:

While we're on the subject, the South Park movie was like a million times better than the Simpsons movie, btw.

Well yeah, since The Simpsons movie was made about a decade after the show was still in a decently watchable state. Garbage rear end on a butt thrown into theaters had a stronger viability than absurdly bad late 2000s Simpsons, though it helps that the South Park movie is brilliant and the absolute best thing from the franchise.

Too bad South Park hasn't been watchable in years either ever since they've shifted far into tedious storylines filled with libertarian politics thicker than a Northern California forest. Good thing we still have awesome cartoons out there like Bob's Burgers.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 12, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sunswipe posted:

Sure, but those weren't official Simpsons images. I'm probably stupid for feeling like this, but I can ignore knockoff poo poo, it's when you get official horrible stuff it bothers me. Like IDW's pregnant Scorponok bothers me more than any amount of Deviantart mpreg fanart.

Uhhhh man, how is this real?:greenangel:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

alphabettitouretti posted:

I've always liked the goofy expressions Bart and Lisa pull in Itchy and Scratchy Land when they're trying to persuade Marge to go there.

It's wonky but charming.

I miss old Simpsons when it was animated traditionally and they put actual effort into the often very weird animation, like strange facial expressions, bizarre background details, etc. Now it's the lowest effort digital animation that feels very flat and emotionless.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
As strange as it is, the single best animation sequence they did was all the way back in 1990 with the intended pilot episode, Some Enchanted Evening, that was almost fully thrown in the trash. It's near movie quality in detail and fluidity. Allegedly, the first 70% finished workprint was very poorly received and almost all of that animation was near entirely redone from scratch, which is why it was aired as the 13th and final episode of the first season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3dqwTEfliU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Stingwing posted:

Part of the version they originally received made it onto the DVD, and is pretty great in its terribleness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-wjF5AMmk&t=36s

There was also a commentary of this on the DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K8pMvKBgXw

There's some really cool bits of animation in the original failed pilot, like around 1:47 with Homer having his coffee and bizarrely walking out of the kitchen, but it feels nothing like the fairly standard Simpsons we know today and more like some kind of psychedelic stoner cartoon. Like, the storyboarding is so bizarre and incoherent and I can see why it was burned to the ground for totally different animation.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Goddamn that's painfully bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

charity rereg posted:

the first episode i remember all of my friends coming in and being super "meh" about was the Tomacco episode in Season 11.

Looking at it there's only IMO like 3-4 good episodes in 11. The baseball one & behind the laughter probably being the only ones i consider essential.

Only the first 9 seasons are mostly good though there's already a bunch of mediocre episodes with lazy jokes by that point. Season 10 is the first season that has some extremely lame episodes with a very obvious downturn which continues strongly into the next season. But I feel like season 11 is where The Simpsons really started to lose people, yeah, even if the golden era was over long before that.