Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

One time about ten years ago I watched a random episode and it was a Treehouse of Horror-style anthology episode about love and featured a segment where Homer and Marge are literally talking dogs from Disney's Lady and the Tramp. It was staggeringly boring and unwatchable. There was a musical number that gave me pangs of sympathy pain for every single voice actor involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

here's a little sample plate for ya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bo2jXnyP64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIPXhU2-uk

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I believe the same thing I believed a decade ago: Behind the Laughter should have been the final episode, and the movie should have been the finale.

I thought the movie really sucked, but the consensus is that it's okay-ish? I thought it was very humdrum, run-of-the-mill poo poo.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I was browsing Youtube for Simpsons stuff and I discovered that for some inscrutable reason they did a hit against the EPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uWTDbfZHQo

yeah take that EPA

God drat.

Even if you ignore the undeserved slam on the EPA, this is just wholly unpleasant to sit through. My ears.. Good find. We need more terrible moments in this thread

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZHuEzgVrVY

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

1. "Family Guy-esque cutaways" even though Family Guy didn't exist yet

This wrinkles my brain a little bit because cutaways didn't get so much flak until Family Guy overused them, so how could The Simpsons' writers create "Family Guy-esque cutaways" aka "overused cutaways" when A. Family Guy didn't exist B. they didn't overuse them and C. generally speaking, they weren't really overdone at the time in TV shows ?

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 16, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

I thought all those edgy/random Simpsons parodies couldn't get any worse, but what the gently caress is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NT2ZiPIukw

Is this canon?

IDK what it is, that's my fave Weird Simpsons thing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Episode was good, for new Simpsons.

You can't compare a burger from a nice restaurant and a burger from Wendy's. As far as Wendy's burgers go, Sunday's was a tasty one.

I'm going to watch last night's Simpsons episode later today and if you're wrong and I end up wasting my time... That's a paddlin.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I hope you've seen a few recent season episodes, so you've got your expectations properly lowered.

I have actually, and one of them I thought was bad but not complete dogshit, but I can't remember which one. I tried it again the next week and it was horrific, so that's why I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

why do they have two living rooms.

I think it's just representing the inconsistencies with the house shown in different episodes

edit: after some google research, i guess they have two living rooms?? weird

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 23, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

Why would the TV be moved, though? If you look at the house diagram, the TV screen is directly in front of the window while in the episode it is at a 90-degree angle. Why would Homer move the TV? If it's to avoid the distraction of the outdoors, why not just close the curtains? Do you notice how many times "11" shows up in this shot?

Kubrick's only Simpsons episode is way underrated.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

The bigger question is how could they afford the house mortgage on a house with all that space when homers cheque in the bear patrol episode is like, less than $400

Fried Watermelon posted:

They lived in the house for like 30 years, maybe they rearrange the room sometimes

simple answers to all of these: its a cartoon

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

The fireplace one is the family room. My parents house has one. It's basically a living room but there's not usually a TV in it, it's for like conversations and reading and stuff. Usually has a fireplace or a wood stove or something (my parents has a wood stove)

I'm not surprised that a house has two living areas. I'm surprised The Simpsons (the cartoon family) have one because I never remember seeing it on the show.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hrist posted:

classic 'sodes!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

The first movie was a good point to end the series

Probably, since it sucked

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm agape all the Futurama opinions. I've always felt like the 4 original seasons are pretty much perfect, I can't really think of a bad one.

The movies were bad. The reboot seasons came back and I was IMMEDIATELY struck by how mean spirited it was compared to the OG seasons, and I personally felt gross about the "Zap & Leela get trapped on a planet and gently caress" plot line because it makes zero sense, is pointlessly cruel to Fry, singlehandedly undoes all of their character development of like 4 years in 10 minutes, and is never brought up again.

I also think Workaholics is pretty funny (though I don't really understand how it got 6-7 seasons other than "It's so loving cheap to produce", and that Broad City is the most overrated show of my generation. Like both of these shows are about millennial potheads sucking at adulthood, but one of them has jokes and good acting (Anders Holm is a riot in every scene to me) and one of them has Hannibal Buress sometimes? I watched like 4 episodes of Broad City and just didn't get why everyone was like "this revolutionary women's comedy will pave a new path for people who want to watch girls smoke weed in dirty underwear". Women are funny, I want to laugh at them and their silly 'Dan Armistice watches us clean in our underwear' plot line... it just never got funny.

I would easily, easily place Futurama S1-4 up there with Simpsons S2-S8 as "practically perfect television". I don't think I made it through the whole reboot, but I'll look up the episodes mentioned here.

I agree, early Futurama was Incredibly Good. I think time has painted them in with the later, less good seasons.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Blind Pineapple posted:

Comedy Central split up the last 2 26-epidsode seasons into 4 13-episode seasons. Also, for some reason the first run had 5 seasons, but was released later as 4 seasons on DVD.

:psyduck:

I never bothered to check on Wikipedia but I was never sure if the original run had 4 or 5 seasons, and I guess I know why that was so unclear now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Houle posted:

I think the problem, at least the problem I have with Simpsons and trying to incorporate tech and popculture things is that they think (and probably rightfully so) people are too stupid to get the reference unless they make it practically rhyme...then pass off that cheap reference as the joke.

Yeah I notice this too. I've been watching New Simpsons out of morbid curiosity lately and I also notice that they will just beat the poo poo out of a joke. Over and over again, I keep thinking "okay, stop. cut the joke here and it's fine..!" But they'll keep on truckin' and spoil the joke by over explaining it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It took me almost three days of pausing and starting but I finally got through Sunday's episode. Pure torture. Probably some of the poorest written/half assed celeb cameos I've ever seen. Neil DeGrassTysen or whatever and a bunch of professors were gathered all gathered together via a dumb plot in order to act poorly.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

have they done an episode where Homer becomes a famous lets player yet

The writers are probably still a couple of years away from figuring this one out

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pretty sure those aren't real just because it feels like some thought went into them

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

the New York episode get bad reps

No it doesn't

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

There are a bunch of posts in this very thread where people claim it was when the simpsons started to go downhill

Oh, word?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Wikipedia:
"Nichopoulos began treating Presley in 1967 for saddle pain, and took it on as a full-time job in 1970 until Presley's death in 1977. His son Dean Nichopoulos served sometimes as an assistant for Presley, taking care of his wardrobe. Nichopoulos was present the day Elvis died, and attempted to save his life. Nichopoulos was also present at the autopsy and served as a pallbearer at the funeral.

In 1979, the doctor was shot in the chest while watching a football game; he was not seriously injured. No suspect was ever arrested. Nichopoulos, in a 1993 interview with Dutch radio host Jorrit van der Kooi, claimed it must have been an angry Elvis fan.

In 1985, he started a solo practice called We Care, Inc.

After he was stripped of his credentials in 1995, Nichopoulos worked for a short time as Jerry Lee Lewis' road manager. He later took a job evaluating medical insurance claims by FedEx employees.[2] No longer a doctor and in need of money, Nichopoulos sold many of the items he received from Elvis at auctions, and at one point had a travelling exhibit, showing off his doctor's bag with some of the medications he prescribed for Elvis.

In 1980, Nichopoulos was indicted on 14 counts of overprescribing drugs to Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and twelve other patients. The district attorney ruled out murder charges because of the conflicting medical opinions about the cause of Presley's death. In 1977 alone, Nichopoulos had prescribed over 10,000 doses[3] of amphetamines, barbiturates, narcotics, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, laxatives, and hormones for Presley. Nichopoulos claimed he had tried in vain to reduce Elvis' dependency, even going so far as to manufacture one thousand placebos for Elvis,[3] but to no avail. The jury concluded that he had tried to act in the best interests of his patients. He was acquitted on all counts.

Also in 1980, the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners found him guilty of overprescription, but decided that he was not unethical. They imposed three months' suspension of his licence and three years' probation.

In 1993, Nichopoulos had his license permanently revoked by the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners, and was branded a "Doctor Feelgood" in the press, after it was revealed that he had been overprescribing to numerous patients for years.[4][5][6][7] Nichopoulos claimed it was for patients that suffered from inoperable chronic pain, but he was unsuccessful in his defense. During his many appeals, Nichopoulos admitted to the board that he had overprescribed. "I cared too much", he told them. During his court cases many friends supported him, raising money and holding benefits to pay for court costs.[3]"

Yeesh...

lol now that's a fuckin' doctor.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lmfao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Whatev posted:

Godaaaaaamn that's some bad poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5gSQxcqgk

I'm ready.. I'm ready to leave now

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if they have some sort of AI reading news tweets and writing the episodes and jokes that way instead of getting comedy writers

Honestly I feel like a computer could probably write a more competent joke than New Simpsons writers

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

berth ell pup posted:

I contend the Deep Space Homer (s5) is the first truly bad simpsons episode. The premise is contrived, and they guest voices (aldrin?) were poorly done. Some people just can't be voice actors. I bet it took 100 takes to get a suitable "Careful! They're rippled!" and the one they used is still pretty bad.
Nope. That episode is amazing. You're wrong, sorry.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Terrible

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think Simpsons s9 through s11 are an interesting study in a descent into terribleness

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

Does anyone legit still watch the Simpsons?

Like do you sit there on your couch or whatever you sit on to watch tv and go 'oh man! This episode might the return to form! It might take this poo poo show to heights higher than even the golden age! I hope Bart does something funny'?

Because if so I think you should check yourself into a nearby clinic

I watch once or twice per year. Just to see where the bottom is.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I don't think Seinfeld ever declined and it ran, what 8-9 years?

I think a decade or so is the sweet spot, maybe a little less. After that you've probably used up all the good ideas you have.

Seinfeld sucked when Larry David left after season 7

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

the kim basinger episode has some funny bits to it. homer giving alec his script is great.

i like when they ask if Ron Howard can drive and he dramatically replies "Not well..." always got a giggle out of me as a kid.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm watching some random season 12 episodes because I hate myself and they're bad. bad bad bad... A lot of them suffer from the tertiary characters just hanging out with The Simpsons for good drat reason at all. The whole town is hanging out at a free YMCA weekend-thing, Homer breaks his leg, and then the whole town is having fun outside of his window. It's really weird.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 20, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just watched Season 12, Episode 17: Simpsons Safari

Yeesh. loving yeesh. This is the one where they go to Africa. Holy hell it's rancid.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I won't belittle someone for liking something, but I urge you all to just take a peek at Simspons Safari. Watch it yourself. Drink it all in. Just do it. Then get back to me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this was a good early simpsons moment I stumbled across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGwfkAYwr0

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah don't try it. I watched some of this most recent season and it's still very dire. Do not engage.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Reboot aside, you still have the problem of the deteriorating, no-poo poo-giving voice cast

The Simpsons is so shameless and essentially a horrific lurching corpse at this point that I'd guess they'd have no issue with finding soundalikes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

berth ell pup posted:

Futurama is not a good show, and it never was.

Horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol these are all pretty good