Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Junk posted:

Wasn't that like, season 1 or 2?

You're thinking of Dancin' Homer, which is a good episode. The episode that poster was describing appears to me Homer & Ned's Hail Mary Pass, which I have not seen/do not remember seeing.

If I described an episode as "the one where Bart falls in love with a girl who is even more of a little shithead than him", you'd be right to think I was referring to Bart's Girlfriend (the episode with Jessica Lovejoy), but Stealing First Base had basically the same vibe with a new character. This show needs to be put out to pasture.

Backweb posted:

I think it hit me particularly when I saw sideshow Bob after the episode where he reformed and helped the kids defeat his brother Cecil. The family went to Italy and Bob had family and a kid and they were focused on a vendetta or something. By that time I had stopped caring.

This was the episode that made me decide to stop watching for good. In a moment of weakness, I watched Stealing First Base on Hulu, but that was my only relapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hammerite posted:

you haven't seen the episode and yet you can recognise a description of it and refer to it matter-of-factly by title? do you spend your time reading and memorising synopses of Simpsons episodes so you can appear knowledgeable about them in gbs?

I Googled "homer simpson choreographer" and then read the Wikipedia synopsis. I could be wrong. :shrug:

YeahTubaMike posted:

You're thinking of Dancin' Homer, which is a good episode. The episode that poster was describing appears to [be] Homer & Ned's Hail Mary Pass, which I have not seen/do not remember seeing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I remember when the movie came out I was still just barely clinging to my Simpsons obsession, and sitting through it was one of the most awkward moments I've ever had in a theater. The audience was laughing, but you could just feel that everyone was forcing laughter because they felt like they should be laughing. I've watched it only one time since then, it doesn't hold up, it's exactly as bad as any other random zombie Simpsons episode where they're just trying SO hard to cram jokes into every single line and moment but most of them are falling flat.

The most memorable thing about the Simpsons movie was that the guy selling bootleg DVDs of it on the Philly subway was really attractive. I watched it once, was wholly unimpressed, and then lost it in a move some years later.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

BattleMaster posted:

I was browsing Youtube for Simpsons stuff and I discovered that for some inscrutable reason they did a hit against the EPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uWTDbfZHQo

yeah take that EPA

i laughed pretty hard at the cutaway to the angry screamapillar wearing a neck brace in court :shobon:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Razorwired posted:

Drawn Together was a bad show with some high points. I mean, it's not Secret Girlfriend bad.

Drawn Together is the third-worst cartoon I've ever seen, after Tom Goes To The Mayor and Allen Gregory.

death by computer posted:

The exact point where I started questioning if bringing Futurama back was necessarily a good thing was the Susan Boyle Boil episode.

It still bugs the poo poo out of me that the boil episode ends with Leela apologizing to Fry after he humiliates her, and her ignoring that he reeks of goat vomit to hug him. Fry and Leela should have been a terrible couple born of Leela's abysmal self-esteem at best, not anything the audience was meant to root for.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

They had an entire universe to play in, and it still fell back on contemporary New York sitcom jokes way too often

I'm from New York, so this could be part of why I didn't mind those jokes :shobon:

Honestly I find the show very rewatchable. My Three Suns, Fry & the Slurm Factory, the one with the boneitis guy, and the episode where Leela dates the aggressively normal doctor stand out in particular.

Iron Crowned posted:

No, Tom Goes to the Mayor was very bad

This is a fact.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Scudworth posted:

One episode has someone telling the story of his first lovely apartment which he was sharing with a guy who was constantly trying to get him in bed (but he was completely oblivious to these attempts and all the obvious flirting until years later) and who also thought the place was haunted, and John DiMaggio imagines this as a sitcom called "gay guy and the ghost" and starts doing all the voices involved. I remember this commentary more than whatever episode it was for.

I weirdly remember that it was for Bend Her.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm agape all the Futurama opinions. I've always felt like the 4 original seasons are pretty much perfect, I can't really think of a bad one.

While I like The Honking, I thought it was tonally weird and kind of a low point of the pre-resurrection series. I also thought Jurassic Bark fell flat, so I probably shouldn't be allowed to have opinions.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Tom Goes to the Mayor is actually pretty funny but I don't think it's understandable if you didn't grow up in the Midwest. I have a good friend who spent his childhood in a tiny rural Nebraska town and he says the show is very true-to-life.

The closest I've come to the Midwest is spending a week snowed in my mom's friend's apartment in Chicago, so I guess it's possible that I don't get it.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Classic futurama is pretty great.

Drawn together was horrible and I didn't know there was another opinion on the matter.

There isn't.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Honking, Bend Her, Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV, and Lobstertainment all come to mind immediately.

I'll give you The Honking and Bend Her (which, to me anyway, comes across more insensitive than flat-out unfunny -- edit: it's also been a long while since I last saw it), but Lobstertainment was and is loving hilarious. The clips of the movie were hilarious, Calculon overacting was hilarious, and the role of Harold Zoid was well-performed. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Wikipedia posted:

In the DVD commentary, the producers mention that [That's Lobstertainment] is considered by fans to be the worst episode of the series.

Okay maybe I really shouldn't be allowed to have opinions. :psyduck:

I really liked Bender Should Not Be Allowed On TV too -- it had some great bits, like Bender not advocating "the cool crime of robbery" and the general idea of a child robot falling under a bad influence -- but felt as though it was a less defensible episode than Lobstertainment.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I loving love that episode and i don't care who knows it. It's weird.

The weird thing is that I remember all of those bits quite fondly, but I didn't remember them as from the jockey episode. That said, I enjoyed the jockey episode when I saw it, though I'm pretty sure I haven't rewatched it since it aired.

Son of Rodney posted:

One thing this thread has taught me is that I'm propably the only person who enjoyed the Futurama movies. All of them. Repeatedly.

I've had that one holiday song about going to war stuck in my head since I watched the movie that it's in. :geno:

There was at least one movie where Leela and Amy do weird fetish-y stuff, and it weirded me out. Like, they turn into giantesses and/or centaurs for some reason, and maybe the internet has broken me, but that whole thing just struck me as too self-indulgent.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Robo Reagan posted:

the episode with fry's dog

An unmemorable episode with a stupid cloying ending.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Osric posted:

Homer gets a job as a food critic and local restaurant owners try to assassinate him

i remember this as an extremely funny episode

now that i've glanced at the season 11 wikipedia article though, i can see that it was kind of all over the place quality-wise

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

i was a kid when i first saw lisa goes to washington and didn't pick up on the sarcasm in the third act and thought it was just a regular happy ending on tv :shobon:

same :shobon:::hf::shobon:

also, i still don't get the "hey let me tell you about lisa, yes / she's that little eight-year old mcgregoress" line

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

muckraker-ess! oh my god, this has plagued me for my whole life

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
the movie was really bad, and the scene with bart's dick was really weird and unnecessary

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i didn't see it in theaters, i bought it from the bootleg guy on the broad street subway on my way home from work

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i watched an episode of the simpsons last night out of sheer curiosity, and i witnessed the following:

-three 3-beat non-sequitur "jokes" in a row, in the space of about a minute and a half
-a bad joke, followed immediately by an explanation of the joke

what the gently caress are these writers thinking anymore

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

they advertised the fuuuuuuuuuck out of this scene, which was never that funny to begin with, and then by the time i saw the movie the bit was both unfunny AND overplayed. so much cringe.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

mobby_6kl posted:

Dunno if it's been posted in the 50 pages, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHV0qxKbj6U

WTF it's not death metal!!

not even close to death metal, not even remotely mistakable for death metal :mad:

also I watched that Pokemon Go thing and it was horrible to the point that I felt bad for the voice actors

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The grossout stuff is whatever, but he was great at conveying absolute madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bme0JpXQUg

the voice work in this entire sequence is top notch, john k (as ren) is underrated as a voice actor (though of course billy west did a fantastic job after he went crazy)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Wicker Man posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard another voice actor ever match that level of intense rage. Although I think at one point he started getting all manic and laughing a lot, but I guess that was when Billy took over? I do know that was how John K originally sold the show, by apparently acting almost exactly like Ren to whoever he was pitching it to.

i don't really remember the episodes or shifts in character chronologically, but west took over voicing ren in season 3 if that makes any difference re: what you said

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

I just watched Season 12, Episode 17: Simpsons Safari

Yeesh. loving yeesh. This is the one where they go to Africa. Holy hell it's rancid.

this is one of those episodes that i remember being funny, but i haven't seen since it aired (see also: saddlesore galactica)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Piss de Bundy posted:

does anybody else just start laughing when they think of random simpsons lines or episodes?

hello, this is moleman in the morning. good moleman to you :smith:

also, dan castellaneta's delivery of "AH! DEEEEAAAATH" cracks me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDBP0DqQuss

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

:perfect:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

General Dog posted:

I kind of liked the Irish Krusty bit at the end

i was going to say that the irish bit was the only part that i could see being funny in the hands of competent writers

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i don't know if matt groening hated it as much as he resented being forced to do it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

fuuuuuuuck i forgot that this was a thing

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i watched the season 29 opener out of sheer curiosity, and it was just completely incomprehensible and bad

like, i want to describe it to you, but i can't because it was so insane (some sort of medieval...thing? happened)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

The episode last night was alright. Lisa tries to draw a comic for therapy but can't draw, so Marge does the illustrations for her. Other people see it, and it becomes a hit. Then there's a sharp left turn 2/3rds of the way through the episode where some Broadway weirdo turns it into a play.

Stupid cameos: Allison Bechdel and Marjane Satrapi.

this probably isn't total poo poo because the plot is so character-driven. it makes sense that lisa the overambitious wunderkind would be in therapy, and while it might not make perfect sense that marge would draw for her, it would make sense that people would love marge's art considering she's a good enough artist for burns to have hired her to make his self-portrait

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

How does that even work? Him screwing up the spelling is like the whole joke of that scene. If he didn't gently caress it up what would the line even have been?

1) I don't believe that he really hosed up the line, even though that's Simpsons canon. If anything, I'd believe that he always intended to gently caress it up like that but never told anybody before recording.

2) There just wouldn't have been a joke, it would have just been him singing, which would have been amusing on its own.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I've been doing some research, and it might actually be this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHZbnl9grI

why would a grown professional try to murder a child

why would skinner's body be so strong that it could rip a bridge in half, but then he'd feel the need to dodge the "little bangkok" archway

what the gently caress

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

that was a joke. it may not be a particularly funny one but it's obviously a joke. goddamn. we really do toss the sperg word around sometimes but some of you might actually be autists.

oh, well okay.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

Lisa gets "intellectually drunk" at a STEM conference and acts actually drunk.

this was the weirdest, least funny thing i've ever seen in a simpsons episode

quote:

Willy gives Lisa advice based on Scottish history.

i thought he was at least going to mention north kilttown

quote:

I didn't laugh once. 0/10 stars.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
the only things I remember about the simpsons movie are spider-pig (bad) and bart's dick (double bad)

edit: also the fact that the guy selling bootleg DVDs of it on the subway was hot (good)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

SEX BURRITO posted:

Lisa the Beauty Queen and the Malibu Stacey episodes are among my favourites. Probably because Lisa is just an ordinary, if very smart, kid. Not some weirdo liberal supergenius in the body of an 8 year old.

and when they do age lisa up in classic episodes, it's only a little. like for example when they make her addicted to the corey hotline, that seems like something that maybe a 12- or 13-year old would be into, rather than a young child. also that was still funny so it was okay.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

There's an episode in like, Season 18+ where a group of college gymnasts assume she's also in college because she's so smart and must just be another gymnast that's why she looks so young. And she starts hanging out with them and gets addicted to their second-hand smoke.

gently caress, i remember that episode -- i wondered how the hell gymnasts would stay athletic with such diminished lung capacity

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i think the first episode of the simpsons that made me realize that new simpsons wasn't the must-see event that it was in the past was the episode with joe strummer

the only thing i remember about the episode with joe strummer was that joe strummer was in it :geno:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Code Jockey posted:

planet of the apes musical, without question

i'm also a fan of the streetcar named marge episode

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Code Jockey posted:

this is family guy.

wiggum is peter, and this is a family guy sketch.

ugh

family guy would have done that funnier and shorter. damning with faint praise, i assure you.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The last time I watched New Family Guy, it was an episode that involved time travel and the token Jewish character. I think it had a lot of nazi references and not a single actual joke.

the last time I watched family guy, the episode was making fun of millennials getting offended on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

lets not be ridiculous. i definitely like modern family guy more than modern simpsons but they had a chicken fight that lasted over 5 minutes once

they also had an entire conway twitty song, now that i think about it