Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

https://www.avclub.com/the-simpsons-vacation-episodes-ranked-1826806649

I haven’t seen most of the episodes at the bottom of the rankings. It’s fun to read about them though. Apparently, since I stopped watching, they’ve done an episode where they go back to France and Bart meets the dodgy wine guys and there was an episode where they went to Denmark to get healthcare for grandpa. Wow, what a shame I didn’t catch those ones.

:lol: I forgot that the Denmark episode was the second time they'd taken Abe somewhere to get socialized medicine. They used the same plot literally just a season before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: I forgot that the Denmark episode was the second time they'd taken Abe somewhere to get socialized medicine. They used the same plot literally just a season before.

The third time, actually, if you count the episode where they go to Canada to get Abe cheaper prescription drugs.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Sagebrush posted:

anyway in that episode the italian cops are flipping through a book of criminals' mugshots to find bob's and as they go through they have a picture of peter griffin and it says he's wanted for "plagiarismo", and they flip to the next page and it's stan from american dad for "plagiarismo di plagiarismo"

Seth goes on an amazing rant about this and the general bitchiness both sides were doing at that time on one of the dvd commentaries it may be the episode where they have quagmire rape marge and then kill all the simpsons (i think fox put a kibosh on the tit for tat after that)

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

there was an ok joke about it in an otherwise absolutely horrible episode where sideshow bob has been living in italy for years and has had a child who is older than maggie (??) and the simpsons all go to italy and the inevitable exact same sideshow bob plot happens for the 20th time.

anyway in that episode the italian cops are flipping through a book of criminals' mugshots to find bob's and as they go through they have a picture of peter griffin and it says he's wanted for "plagiarismo", and they flip to the next page and it's stan from american dad for "plagiarismo di plagiarismo"

The funniest thing about this is that American Dad has had more good seasons than the Simpsons.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Communist Walrus posted:

The funniest thing about this is that American Dad has had more good seasons than the Simpsons.
AD isnt even in the same league, other than it being 'an animated comedy about a family '. Stan is a remarkably different character, the family is in an entirely different socioeconomic bracket. Gah, how infuriating.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Croc posted:

Seth goes on an amazing rant about this and the general bitchiness both sides were doing at that time on one of the dvd commentaries it may be the episode where they have quagmire rape marge and then kill all the simpsons (i think fox put a kibosh on the tit for tat after that)

I'm surprised anyone has any strong opinions about any of this, I always just figured it was good-natured poo poo-giving between two similar shows on the air on the same network.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i found the clip in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H-cB-l3O-4

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Good point, Seth, calling Peter Griffin a plagiarist is about on par with Quagmire raping and murdering people in cold blood.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That joke sucked but Seth is probably right about James L Brooks. That guy has ridiculous sway still.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What I never got about Seth was that any time I see him come up in articles, it was always that he's still working on that Flintstones reboot. Although I think I saw another one a few years back saying he gave up because he can't make it work if he has to modernize them and the jokes or something.

But who even wants that reboot? Even as a kid in the late 80's, every time Flintstones came on it just made me wish they'd show the Jetsons instead. That show was so god drat boring to sit through.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think he gave up on that now that he has The Orville. It would have been terrible. The only good Flintstones related thing is that amazing new comic series.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Hrist posted:

What I never got about Seth was that any time I see him come up in articles, it was always that he's still working on that Flintstones reboot. Although I think I saw another one a few years back saying he gave up because he can't make it work if he has to modernize them and the jokes or something.

Uh... what would be the point of a Flintstones reboot if you didn't modernize the jokes? The whole gag is "it's now but also caveman times."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Uh... what would be the point of a Flintstones reboot if you didn't modernize the jokes? The whole gag is "it's now but also caveman times."

Seth MacFarlane is an idiot douchebag.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

There's an animation mistake where the lasagna is on top of the green desk mat as Wiggum crawls over it, then beside the desk mat when the viewing angle changes.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

DanAdamKOF posted:

There's an animation mistake where the lasagna is on top of the green desk mat as Wiggum crawls over it, then beside the desk mat when the viewing angle changes.

we fuond the actual lowest point of the simpsons itt :wow: we did it friends

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

crazy cloud posted:

we fuond the actual lowest point of the simpsons itt :wow: we did it friends

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Other lowest points of the Simpsons will be addressed later.

If at all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

YeahTubaMike posted:

family guy would have done that funnier and shorter. damning with faint praise, i assure you.

lets not be ridiculous. i definitely like modern family guy more than modern simpsons but they had a chicken fight that lasted over 5 minutes once

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hrist posted:

But who even wants that reboot? Even as a kid in the late 80's, every time Flintstones came on it just made me wish they'd show the Jetsons instead. That show was so god drat boring to sit through.

the piano one was good :)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

lets not be ridiculous. i definitely like modern family guy more than modern simpsons but they had a chicken fight that lasted over 5 minutes once

But those were the best when I was ten!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

i mean there's no tension because we know how they'll pan out but they're at least they're kinda visually interesting I guess.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DanAdamKOF posted:

Agreed.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I liked how the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover was about how both shows could exist together even though they had the same type of humour because it would allow their respective teams working on the shows to have a living and income.

Then I realized the voice actors get roughly 300K per episode and lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dan Castellaneta makes more in a year than some countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cisBEGCFSjQ

I gotta admit to getting mind blown here because ive never seen Dan before today despite having watched S1-10 literally 50 times and Id have never put together Homer, Barney, Krusty, Grandpa, but then also how many characters

CONTAINS THE ORIGIN OF "annoyed grunt!"

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 3, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't seen Family Guy in years. It's more mean spirited than The Simpsons ever was, but it was willing to be more experimental than Modern Simpsons. The most experimental Modern Simpsons seems to want to go is viral couch gags by notable animators. And even those cut time away from the episode.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've taken to watching entire runs of TV shows of late. Like, 2, 3 episodes a night after work as I eat tea and do some chores before my 2nd job. I did South Park and then American Dad and when you watch them all one after another it becomes really obvious when they start slipping. Even if at the time they didn't seem that bad, what with waiting weeks between shows and then a year between seasons.

Point being I'll probably do the Simpsons next.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

American Dad still reigns supreme in the "dipshit dad" genre

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Drunken Baker posted:

I've taken to watching entire runs of TV shows of late. Like, 2, 3 episodes a night after work as I eat tea and do some chores before my 2nd job. I did South Park and then American Dad and when you watch them all one after another it becomes really obvious when they start slipping. Even if at the time they didn't seem that bad, what with waiting weeks between shows and then a year between seasons.

Point being I'll probably do the Simpsons next.

Good luck. I’ve tried twice, but it becomes soul-crushingly monotonous by around season 15. The golden age flies by, but then the number of laughs dwindles until you realize you haven’t laughed at all in like 40 episodes, and they’re revisiting plots they’ve already done like 3 or 4 times, and everyone sounds tired and the writing is so lazy.

Then you realize that you’re not even half way through the entire run yet and this poo poo is going to go on for another 300+ episodes.

Then you go watch something else.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

I always just wanted a realistic, down to earth show that was completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots :shrug:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
I remember this point where Fox would advertise part of an episode that ended up being totally unrelated overall to the plot. Like one time they advertised an episode where Homer had to deal with a wild animal in the back yard and I assumed it was a new one, but it was actually a repeat and I didn't remember the episode because the part with the wild animal was just the first five minutes before the actual plotline.

I wish I could remember the animal and episode, I think it was a wolverine or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cheapsteaks posted:

I remember this point where Fox would advertise part of an episode that ended up being totally unrelated overall to the plot. Like one time they advertised an episode where Homer had to deal with a wild animal in the back yard and I assumed it was a new one, but it was actually a repeat and I didn't remember the episode because the part with the wild animal was just the first five minutes before the actual plotline.

I wish I could remember the animal and episode, I think it was a wolverine or something.

They did this a lot around the time Futurama's 4th season was getting the shaft from Fox. They'd advertise a "bonus" episode of the Simpsons instead of Futurama (which was scheduled in TV Guide), and it was literally episodes of the Simpsons that aired 2 weeks earlier.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Cheapsteaks posted:

I think it is a wolverine hiding in the doghouse. And that leads Homer trying to call animal control and realizing they changed the area code for half of Springfield. Then they build a big wall dividing the town and The Who show up.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Wasn't it a badger in the dog house and it ended up being an episode where Homer becomes an artist because some critic is amazed at how rage based designs? It all blurrs together with family Guy episodes now

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

houstonguy posted:

Good luck. I’ve tried twice, but it becomes soul-crushingly monotonous by around season 15. The golden age flies by, but then the number of laughs dwindles until you realize you haven’t laughed at all in like 40 episodes, and they’re revisiting plots they’ve already done like 3 or 4 times, and everyone sounds tired and the writing is so lazy.

Then you realize that you’re not even half way through the entire run yet and this poo poo is going to go on for another 300+ episodes.

Then you go watch something else.
I rewatched all of the beginning seasons over the last year. Stop at season 9. If you're adventurous, watch a handful of season 10 episodes, but almost all of that season is utter poo poo. The hippie one where Homer discovers his middle name and goes full-on jerkass to everyone around him made me really regret continuing that far.
Almost all of the plots are lazy recycles of earlier story beats as well. Like, Homer has a dumb idea to sell grease just like when he had an idea to sell sugar and Lisa has to deal with a new classmate voiced by a celebrity (both of these rehashed plots are in the same ep btw).

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Houle posted:

Wasn't it a badger in the dog house and it ended up being an episode where Homer becomes an artist because some critic is amazed at how rage based designs? It all blurrs together with family Guy episodes now

I remember an episode of FG where Chris became an artist, but that might have been a Simpsons thing to, who loving knows anymore

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
one that is super blatant is when homer was trying to eat chips and santas little helper's puppies kept jumping and grabbing the chips before he could, and a family guy episode that came after it when Peter was doing literally the exact same thing except a bird in his beard was eating them

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Or when Death is taken out, and Homer/Peter has to do his job.

Oh wait, that's done already by Terry Pratchett.

Oh snap, he wasn't the first!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Houle posted:

no that was when he was trying to build a barbecue pit. jasper johns shows up as a compulsive kleptomaniac

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cheapsteaks posted:

They did those little miniepisodes that lead to the real A and B plots a lot. It was usually a fairly short but complete story. I've forgotten sometimes that episodes I remember are actually just a five minute thing at the beginning of another episode all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

they also had an entire conway twitty song, now that i think about it