Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

RFC2324 posted:

And a gym membership.

actually running around the park is free and so are sit ups and push ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ra tehuti posted:

actually running around the park is free and so are sit ups and push ups

I keep forgetting there are parts of the world where going outside is an option. My bad!

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

RFC2324 posted:

I keep forgetting there are parts of the world where going outside is an option. My bad!

Do you live in a submarine?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ice Blue Mink posted:

Do you live in a submarine?

Most of my life in Texas. You don't go outside during the day in Texas voluntarily. I recently moved, and it was over 107 outside the last day i was there.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Imma get day drunk and play video games today I think

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Nooner posted:

sir this is the sobriety thread

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

Be safe, noons.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

SpaceClown posted:

Be safe, noons.

gently caress that I hope he dies

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

ra tehuti posted:

working out is more effective towards sobriety than A.A. and all you need is yourself

this is so true.

number one piece of advice for quitting the sauce: work out 3 or 4 times a week. whether it's running or lifting or whatever. it provides the stress relief that booze does and generally reduces the desire to drink.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ra tehuti posted:

at the risk of sounding like I care anything about your stupid life, start working out

you might have one sleepless night, take some nyquil or something

I already do bitch boi meet me at the flag pole after class :burgerpug:

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Ice Blue Mink posted:

You could try working out. Like go do a serious workout before meeting up with your friends. You'll feel happier with your body/health/brain as a result and it should help stave off the need to smoke (if you're already chill and happy).

Working out made it a lot easier for me to significantly reduce alcohol intake and quit smoking.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Nooner posted:

I already do bitch boi meet me at the flag pole after class :burgerpug:

sorry for trying to help :shrug:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
ra is right noons, just take nyquil

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I think my biggest problem with quitting smoking is actually drinking. My wife loves going to the bar once or twice a week to the point that she is horrified if i try to get out of it. She is also the major force behind me quitting smoking (i know i should for my health, and am pretty tired of doing it after 22+ years) but also probably the biggest obstacle. I think of we stopped drinking for a few months i could quit petty easily. I also set a condition on her of quitting chewing her nails so she can be giving up a bad habit with me, but she refuses, and since i gave myself that escape i can fail at quitting with no guilt.

gently caress i make allot of excuses to smoke.

As long as the drinking itself isn't a problem, regarding the smoking you could try a harm reduction approach. I smoked cigarettes for around 24 years, and have some weird genetic predisposition to nicotine addiction. I also have a tendency to lung infections, so smoking was a really terrible idea. Switching to other sources of nicotine saved my lungs, kept me functional, and actually is less expensive than smoking at this point.

If it is mostly the nicotine that you need (more than the behavioral part of smoking) then stuff like snus might let you quit wrecking your lungs while still engaging in the stuff you like to do. Nicotine gum can be useful for this, too, but your options for flavors are a lot more limited. I currently use more Zyn than anything else, but I'm not sure how available it is outside the West Coast. Camel snus should be available if nothing else, and I've found it to be reasonable as a source of nicotine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As long as the drinking itself isn't a problem, regarding the smoking you could try a harm reduction approach. I smoked cigarettes for around 24 years, and have some weird genetic predisposition to nicotine addiction. I also have a tendency to lung infections, so smoking was a really terrible idea. Switching to other sources of nicotine saved my lungs, kept me functional, and actually is less expensive than smoking at this point.

If it is mostly the nicotine that you need (more than the behavioral part of smoking) then stuff like snus might let you quit wrecking your lungs while still engaging in the stuff you like to do. Nicotine gum can be useful for this, too, but your options for flavors are a lot more limited. I currently use more Zyn than anything else, but I'm not sure how available it is outside the West Coast. Camel snus should be available if nothing else, and I've found it to be reasonable as a source of nicotine.

It's behavioral afaik. I've gone a couple months with no cigs in the past, but always end up with a mouth full of butt

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

It's behavioral afaik. I've gone a couple months with no cigs in the past, but always end up with a mouth full of butt

Yeah, that's harder to tackle, oddly enough. For me it is more like a purely medical matter - I maintain a given nicotine level and I'm fine. The behavioral part of it I didn't really care about.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why not vape?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

Why not vape?

I'm usually not a proponent of robococks, but this is a case where it might actually make sense. Just try to find one that uses less antifreeze and other goop. Keep in mind that saying an ingredient is "food grade" is all fine and good, but doesn't mean mean it is safe to use as an inhalant.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SpaceClown posted:

Why not vape?

Tried it. It didn't take. Gonna have to cold turkey it, but... i want to drink lol.

Maybe once i have a good job again i can replace it with weed for a few months.

Starting smoking is one of the few regrets in my life.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Quitting smoking is one of, if not the hardest, thing to quit. Nicotine is a bitch. The patch helped me quit once. Honestly an e-cig really helped me. It took a while to get used to but it worked just like the patch. Unfortunately it's an expensive up front investment to get a decent one, but literally one week of not smoking paid for it. Plus, there are different nicotine levels, so just like the patch I started at the top and worked myself down to nothing. By then I didn't really have the physical fixation and just stopped using it altogether. It took months to get completely off of nicotine but who gives a poo poo if I'm not smoking cigarettes which is literally the worst thing you can do for your overall health over your lifetime. Besides like, playing cowboy with a loaded revolver while drunk as poo poo.

I bought a few packs of cigs this week for some unknown reason and ran out last night so I have my e-cig right by my side again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok well that was easy. I wanted a cigarette really bad yesterday even after just a few packs. I didn't buy any and I think I'm good with my e-cig now. I'm on day one of not drinking again. If I don't have anything tonight then it should help break the cycle just like last time. Gotta get out and do something.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ok well that was easy. I wanted a cigarette really bad yesterday even after just a few packs. I didn't buy any and I think I'm good with my e-cig now. I'm on day one of not drinking again. If I don't have anything tonight then it should help break the cycle just like last time. Gotta get out and do something.

Don't go out to a bar or liquor store though, that'd be a mistake! Good luck, Penny!

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pennywise the Frown posted:

report back tonight with what you did.

I'm waiting for it.

:colbert:

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
listening to this book now -- it challenges the idea that addiction is a "disease."

The author says most addicts eventually get over their addiction and simply move on.

The author himself used to be an addict.

https://www.amazon.com/Biology-Desi...ology+of+desire

syllable police
Feb 23, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
addiction is a mental illness, not a disease

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sweeping generalizations and semantic gamesmanship worthy of religious debate is certainly the best approach to take when addressing a complicated and multifaceted issue like addiction.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Posting is the real problem. You are all sick.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

And here i thought it was all the :catdrugs:

Back to taking a whole bunch!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

And here i thought it was all the :catdrugs:

Back to taking a whole bunch!

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot
Who said the thing about committing to not drinking today but if you want a drink tomorrow you can. That's a good one I'm surprised it's working.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i tried being sober, but there's nothing out there for me. so I bought a gun, obviously.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

unpleasantly turgid posted:

i tried being sober, but there's nothing out there for me. so I bought a gun, obviously.

AND

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I hope dad gay is doing ok with his unduly issued perma :(

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I stopped drinking, cold turkey, to spite alcoholics anonymous

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

We Know Catheters posted:

no you didn't

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

no you didn't

Yes I did. I don't need a higher power.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Yes I did. I don't need a higher power.

ok man, I apologize for doubting you

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

ok man, I apologize for doubting you

Apology accepted. 😉

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

You sure put them in their place. I bet they didn't see it coming, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

King Possum III posted:

You sure put them in their place. I bet they didn't see it coming, either.

Nope. It completely blindsided them.

• Locked thread