Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: ^^^ Swear to god, along with what I said below, that was one one of the reasons I stopped then. I was just too loving depressed to drink. Although now I'm too depressed to stop. Meds might finally be kicking in though so I'll try stopping in a day or so again.

The last time I quit (before I got Naltrexone), my biggest motivator was coming out of the shower and seeing myself in a mirror and getting even more depressed seeing a fat piece of poo poo. During the month when I didn't drink my face immediately thinned out and I lost a few pounds.

I suggest looking at your sad disgusting amorphous body in a mirror. It can't hurt!

Well, you can just drink right through the sadness and not give a poo poo. It can hurt, but it works!

For me the effect runs the opposite direction - in my heaviest years of drinking I shed weight to the point of being unhealthily underweight. Took a while after quitting to get up to a normal weight again afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

skeletonotherkin posted:

In all honesty I've been cutting back on my drinking due to the fact that my shrink is recommending AA meetings. I'm actually wondering if i should stop seeing him since he seems bent on recommending this loving cult as a solution to my problems.

He might not know any better - no telling how much experience he has in dealing with recovery issues. AA has been so successful in terms of capturing the public imagination as the go-to for recovery that it might have been largely unconscious on his part. I'd do some searches in your area and see if there are any other alternatives available locally.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nomadologique posted:

been sober for about three months now, it is frickin great and i am really happy about it

my only advice is this: every time you take a drink, really pay attention to what is happening to you. when you are drunk, really pay attention to how you feel. the next day, be completely honest with yourself about your feelings and reactions to last night's drinking.

if being sober is something you genuinely want, and you pay attention to what happens to you when you drink, and you are honest with yourself about its effects on you, you will realize that you feel a lot better when you don't drink.

if being sober isn't something that you want, don't worry about it so much, just find a relationship to alcohol that works for you.

One thing that helped me was to post on a forum that didn't allow edits or deletion of posts once they were up. I'd post things I thought were brilliant and/or hilarious, then read them the next day and often be utterly dismayed and occasionally not even able to decipher what the hell I was typing about. The embarrassment of seeing this window onto my own behavior was a pretty strong motivator to help me clean up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cheap vodka became the primary staple of my diet for a couple years.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ok, I had a medical procedure yesterday and ended up drinking anyway.

This poo poo sucks.

Maybe I need to find a god to make me stop because I'm a worthless piece of poo poo and powerless. :ohdear:

You could do a Google search for SMART recovery in your area as a non-spiritual alternative, or you could look for Refuge Recovery if you don't mind a more Buddhist bent.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

zh1 posted:

does anyone have a platitude for that

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Day 1 down and am on day 2. I feel like poo poo and everything sucks.

Hang in there. If you have to, force yourself to eat. Soup was handy for me. Letting yourself get dehydrated and malnourished is not going to help anything.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oh that depression ain't moving on. Had it since I was around 13 or so and it's only gotten more severe over the years. I have a few other not-so-fun diagnoses as well. I've heard that alcohol is the single worst thing you can do when you are bipolar so uh...... yeah. Thank you though for your concern. I really need to do this.

Alcohol really is bad if you are anywhere on the bipolar spectrum, and is really not good with depression, either. You're likely to see an improvement after being off the alcohol for a period of time, which I know is not all that reassuring in the short term. It really does get better, though. My own psychiatric history is a bit odd, but I can say that everything was made worse by my drinking. It sounds like you are doing a great job following up with your doctor and working to take care of yourself, and I just want to encourage you to try to keep some hope in mind, even if it is mostly intellectual.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Day 5. I think the physical withdrawals are over now. On to the mental withdrawals for the indefinite future. I used to be smart or something so I'm kind of looking forward to regaining some cognitive ability. But with that comes even more pessimism and terrible anger about existence, etc.

Oh well, one day at a time. My goal is 6 months. I will certainly fail.

Thanks again GBS.

Congrats on making it to day 5. Honestly I wouldn't be trying to think about the distant future (for me 6 months feels like forever), and just stick with the one day at a time for a while.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I bought a big rear end model rocket and a Ka-50 Russian helicopter (from the DCS game :) ). Going to force myself into a hobby to see if something clicks again.

Sorry again for bumping this.

Come on, someone else has to be a raging alcoholic loser who wants to quit too. This is like my personal log now.

Good idea to try out things to do - see what serves you best.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'd actually go one step further and not count the days period should your goal be lifelong sobriety. Decentralize the importance of alcohol.

I personally agree with this, but I figure it is the kind of thing each person needs to figure out what works for them. I can say with certainty that I had quit drinking by Thanksgiving 9 years ago, but can't be more exact than that - I wasn't keeping track. That said, I wouldn't expect anyone to follow exactly the same methodology that I did.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The conversation above is all too common in recovery situations - somebody finds something that works for them and it becomes the way, the truth, and the light, and all other paths are false. People get defensive because any disagreement with their method of recovery is perceived as an attack on it, and by extension an attack on themselves.

I'm not really going to weigh in one way or another on marijuana use, and just want to congratulate you on getting a full week out from drinking.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A misstep doesn't mean you haven't made progress. Don't lose sight of the good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hope so. I'm not happy.

Try to give yourself some space to accept it. While it is reasonable to be disappointed, beating yourself up excessively is not productive, either. Of course neither would be taking it in a celebratory fashion. It's something that happened. Give yourself a little time. Hell, if you are dealing with emotional ramifications then writing them down might be a good idea. Journaling is very often a helpful exercise, and you might find it useful here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The urge was going on and off last night. One thing that actually helped was playing DCS World (a combat flight sim) with some goons last night. But right when we stopped the urge rushed back and I got beer immediately. Staying occupied is certainly helpful but sometimes it's difficult when you're really depressed and can't even do things that you enjoy. This is quite the conundrum and something I need to figure out.

Games are good - maybe try to find something single-player that lends itself to time-sinking? I have an embarrassing amount of hours in Fallout 4, for instance, although I know that isn't for everyone.

Are you in a place you can go outside? It might sound facile, but sometimes just being outside and walking around, day or night, and looking at the sky were helpful for me. When I was really depressed my gaze rarely went above the horizon, and if I could make myself look up and be aware of my surroundings it helped. Your mileage might vary, of course.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have some familiarity with bipolar, and was diagnosed with it myself for years (like I said earlier, my psychiatric history is weird). I certainly can sympathize with that sense of being your own worst enemy. Are your prescriber and therapist in good contact, or the same person? I don't know if it is of any help, but I just wanted to say that I remember feeling like I was in the midst of a raging whirlwind, and that things did eventually settle out.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Apropos of nothing, I took lithium capsules for years, and one time I missed a dose or two and thought "Hey, maybe if I snort some it will get my blood levels back up faster" and cracked a capsule open. I then proceeded to do a line of lithium carbonate, and immediately regretted it. A lot. Holy hell did that poo poo burn.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nonviolent J posted:

The oval office club

Sounds like a mass-market chastity belt.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is that in the Goon Doctor or TCC?

It's in TCC. I've looked in on it in the past, but can't remember if I ever posted anything. It is fairly AA-centric if memory serves.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There is a heritable component to addiction - exactly how much of it is nature versus nurture is not entirely known. Genetics play some role, though. If you look at family history it is often a pretty clear generational line - I can easily trace alcohol back up my family tree on my dad's side.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm a loving master of the latter.

Hell, I was a goddamn artist when it came to that. Working on mindfulness and reworking my internal dialogue helped improve matters. I realized that one of my tells for going really off the rails was when I started talking to myself in the second person. "You this" and "you that." Was a bit of an epiphany at the time. I still talk to myself a lot, though. Probably too much. The cats seem to appreciate it, at least.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

500 good dogs posted:

no one is saying alcoholism isn't real. there's just no bullshit allergy component to it...

nor is there a god to help you, everything you ascribe to god or a higher power is your own doing (good or bad)

"God is dead." - Voltaire

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

500 good dogs posted:

Wow that might be the first time sometime made that foolish of a mistake

If there is any possible way that a mistake can be made, SpaceClown will find it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jim Barris posted:

I don't think that's necessarily genetics though. I remember at a very young age walking in on my uncles or my mother doing drugs or even shooting up and I''m sure that played a large role in why I found it very easy to start using drugs in that particular manner. There is a family history of drug use present in my family, obviously, but that could well be from the normalization that occurs from observing drug use from a very young age being passed down through generations just as easily as a genetic influence. You could apply this same line of thinking easily to drinking. If your father was an alcoholic the habitual consumption to excess of alcohol was something you certainly witnessed from a very young age.

Make me get all pedantic and poo poo up in here...

"Twin, adoption, and family studies conclusively demonstrated that genetic factors account for 50 to 60 percent of the variance in risk for developing alcoholism."

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh40/64-75.pdf

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah benzos probably make me more impulsive because IDGAF

They actually have the opposite effect on me when I've taken them, as they calm the anxiety and such that has tended to impact my impulse control.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bummer. I have the same problem. :smith:

I can say that in my experience that has a good potential to improve. I couldn't count the number of nights in my life that I have gone to bed and sincerely hoped I wouldn't wake up in the morning.

Now I just hate mornings, but am happy that I didn't die in my sleep. :downs:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It would be quite the change where I wouldn't accept death as like a, "eh, sure, I'm ready, whatever". Maybe 6 months from now I might feel different but the odds are low considering my past.

Another day though of no booze and no weed either. 2 days of zero mind altering substances. Well, besides the WICKED HIGH OF LIFE!!! :c00l:

Just speaking for myself, I find it is entirely possible to live a decent life while still having an odd relationship with my own mortality. You know that cold thrill of adrenaline you get when you have a near miss at freeway speeds? When you're almost hit by a car as a pedestrian? Yeah, I don't get that. I first realized I had lost that reaction around 2005 or so, and now mostly note it with academic interest. I had surgery recently and I was mostly concerned about whether I would be conscious while intubated - the idea I could just plain die under general anesthetic merited a "meh, whatever" response from me. It's not that I still feel some urge to rush toward the sweet embrace of death, and more that I've come to better terms with myself. Getting a healthier relationship with yourself doesn't necessarily mean you have to be Stepford-levels of happy all the time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TheSpamalope posted:

Lol yeah become numb that'sa good answer. Just another ghost

I'm actually surprisingly well-adjusted, oddly enough.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hope you sleep well. I think it's a perfectly good idea to give yourself credit for the success you've had and not obsess over a slip. Dichotomous all-or-nothing thinking is a cognitive error, in any case. You're doing well, Pennywise.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I guess I can't argue that. We both had the same life growing up due to the closeness of our moms.

I'm not worried at all about drinking too much alcohol and drowning in my own vomit or something. I am however worried that I'll get the courage to shoot myself though. I'm on and off the fence about living. In fact now that my brain is starting to come back to reality, I've been thinking about it more which is a bit unsettling. I have a good support system with the VA though. I can always go on a vacation there for a while.

BTW, we need stricter gun laws.

Don't hesitate to seek help if you feel like it is getting too intense. It's understandable that you would see some things worsen for a while - it takes a bit for your neurotransmitter levels to stabilize after you remove a stimulus which has been artificially altering their levels for a while. That's true of any pretty much any addiction, with or without bipolar as a complicating factor. I know it can be of little comfort in the moment, but the more time you put between yourself and the substance (or whatever addiction) the more things level out.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Spirituality isn't so much about signing up for dogmatic Christian God but acknowledging the lack of control you actually can exercise in your life. Drunks in particular will sit and rage about the control they perceive they have when you really have even less than you'd think.

Acknowledging this is something that leads to a sense of peace. Everything works out how it needs to because it couldn't any other way.

You can see this thorough line through any religion or whatever

12-step approaches are fine for some people, and not fine for others. Being proselytic about it isn't really helping anyone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I guess I don't subscribe to a specific religion or anything so I have a difficult time understanding the precise issue and I've always been a pretty staunch atheist.

It's cool and fine if people don't like AA or 12 step programs, but focusing on dogma is missing the point to me. Smart recovery tells you you have power and aren't helpless, and fundamentally so does AA (you decided to not drink today didn't you? You decided to start work on the Change you need) aside from the what is supposed to be humbling confession where you "admit your life ain't going how you always wanted it to go" in step 1. Considering the lengths I went to maintain my denial, it was necessary for me to claim the title of alcoholic. I would encourage exploring or seeking out agnostic or atheist recovery groups if that's your inclination and it's something that'll help. Really, if it helps, that's what matters.

Doing it alone, I know it didn't work for me. The most frightening thing was always thinking I had a "time limit" that I was waiting to pass, and once things fell into place I'd automatically start drinking. Oh boy was it a treat when that time came and went and I was hitting it harder than before, feeling even more out of control than at any point before then.

Connecting with you with supportive people who've been through the same wringer as you is really the focus anyway. Otherwise you have people saying "75 drinks a week!! That's nothing. Call me when you've learned how to really drink"

Of course some people are going to lean into dogma but it's more of a pity IMO cause it's so boring. You'll also run into people who don't think you're "clean" unless you're not on any anti depressants either. Which is destructive as hell.

To me, any spirituality is firmly planted inside yourself. "the reality deep down within you" and harnessing it doesn't rob you of anything. That well springs forth from within. Like nomad was saying earlier in the thread, what would your heart have you do?

Ultimately I just want people to be happy with their lives and their choices. For themselves.

I don't think anybody has been arguing against the value of support groups in general, just that prescribing one particular flavor (e.g., AA) over another is not paying due diligence to the needs of the person being addressed. AA and related 12-step programs are not for me, for instance, but that doesn't mean I think nobody should use them. I'm fond of Refuge Recovery, but I'm not under the delusion that it would be a good fit for everyone. Not only are people different, but each person's addiction is different. For instance, you describe having denial be a significant part of your process, whereas for me denial was essentially absent - this leads to very different expressions of what may be otherwise similar addictions. Trying to advocate too much for a single path to recovery inevitably means a significant number of people are going to fall off it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sorry you've been having a difficult time. I can't remember if it was brought up earlier in the thread or not, but have you tried journaling? Keeping a diary of sorts can be really helpful, and might also be useful in figuring out some of the behavioral patterns you are engaging in. Being able to read back my thoughts from days or weeks previous was immensely valuable to me at a couple points in my life. I'd recommend keeping it somewhere where you know it is private, and can write without editing yourself.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I think my biggest problem with quitting smoking is actually drinking. My wife loves going to the bar once or twice a week to the point that she is horrified if i try to get out of it. She is also the major force behind me quitting smoking (i know i should for my health, and am pretty tired of doing it after 22+ years) but also probably the biggest obstacle. I think of we stopped drinking for a few months i could quit petty easily. I also set a condition on her of quitting chewing her nails so she can be giving up a bad habit with me, but she refuses, and since i gave myself that escape i can fail at quitting with no guilt.

gently caress i make allot of excuses to smoke.

As long as the drinking itself isn't a problem, regarding the smoking you could try a harm reduction approach. I smoked cigarettes for around 24 years, and have some weird genetic predisposition to nicotine addiction. I also have a tendency to lung infections, so smoking was a really terrible idea. Switching to other sources of nicotine saved my lungs, kept me functional, and actually is less expensive than smoking at this point.

If it is mostly the nicotine that you need (more than the behavioral part of smoking) then stuff like snus might let you quit wrecking your lungs while still engaging in the stuff you like to do. Nicotine gum can be useful for this, too, but your options for flavors are a lot more limited. I currently use more Zyn than anything else, but I'm not sure how available it is outside the West Coast. Camel snus should be available if nothing else, and I've found it to be reasonable as a source of nicotine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

It's behavioral afaik. I've gone a couple months with no cigs in the past, but always end up with a mouth full of butt

Yeah, that's harder to tackle, oddly enough. For me it is more like a purely medical matter - I maintain a given nicotine level and I'm fine. The behavioral part of it I didn't really care about.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

Why not vape?

I'm usually not a proponent of robococks, but this is a case where it might actually make sense. Just try to find one that uses less antifreeze and other goop. Keep in mind that saying an ingredient is "food grade" is all fine and good, but doesn't mean mean it is safe to use as an inhalant.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sweeping generalizations and semantic gamesmanship worthy of religious debate is certainly the best approach to take when addressing a complicated and multifaceted issue like addiction.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jim Barris posted:

Yeah, you're lucky then. Opiates really grabbed me, I cannot control my use of them in the slightest. It's not even like I'm cured or something I actually have to be really careful and mindful of it all the time. What I've come to understand is that there is a certain type of person that once they start they have to do it till they're destroyed enough to stop or they die. Alcohol or heroin it's much the same though heroin will put you in a grave a lot quicker for various reasons. Still, it could of easily been alcohol that did it to me. Which is why I do not drink.

Having been addicted to both at different times, I would say that in my experience the nature of the two addictions was different. Both were going to leave me dead or in jail one way or the other, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I am still here, still alive. I didn't drink about 25 days straight before having a lapse. Last week I drank a few times and I just drank last night. I'm learning that this isn't fun in the least bit anymore. Those 25 days were extremely productive. I got poo poo done around the house, my yard, I started BJJ again. I have an app called eMoods to monitor a few different metrics for bipolar disorder and printing the graph is pretty eye opening. Depression, anxiety, irritability, etc. all trending downwards.

So I did have a few lapses, but I didn't completely relapse. I just take note of what I was feeling at the time I did drink, and now I can try to avoid that the next time. I'm trying to be a bit more proactive and mindful this time and it seems to be working little by little.

Thanks for your concern homie. :glomp:

Congrats, Pennywise - this sounds like good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, alcohol really helps with the whole "my brain is loving itself up and there's not much I can do about it" thing.

I tried to quit an SSRI over the past two weeks and when I started drinking again I realized that maybe it was a bad idea.

We're opposites on that - if I took an SSRI it would almost certainly make me want to drink. I tried Paxil again a few years ago and it only took about a week for it to put me into a dysphoric hypomania.

• Locked thread