Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Easy, grow the gently caress up and deal with your problems instead of hiding in a bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I passionately hate AA for a few reasons but I'm aware it can help some people. It's not only the god thing, which is literally the Christian god but they just tack on at the end that "whatever you think god is". But no really it's the Christian god. Just look at the AA prayer books. Also the completely berating idea that I'm worthless and only some supernatural thing (whatever I want it to be) can help.

Good for you that it worked so well. Seriously.

Last time I was in the VA hospital (over one year now of not being hospitalized, new record!) I had an option of doing a 6 week inpatient program for alcohol since that's obviously a huge issue as well (a lot more freedom than the, well, the locked down ward) and it took me days to decide to finally go after finding out the whole program is based on AA. The guy just literally told me to ignore everything and fake it. Wow, well that's helpful. Then when I was about to transfer to the other ward, at the last minute, I had my gear set to to, the guy said I couldn't because I didn't go to enough meetings on the locked down ward. I walked out on the alcohol meetings after the whole "I'm powerless and only a god can help me." gently caress you, no one can help me but me. Well, also I didn't do the general mental health meetings because those grown adult assholes just wanted to talk about themselves and how the VA wasn't helping their little stupid problems that had nothing to do with any of the meetings and they'd derail the whole meeting. Seriously, there was a meeting on medications and everyone just wanted to complain about the food or some other dumb thing, so I just stopped going to them. Seeing a bunch of older "tough" vets bitching about completely unrelated and inconsequential bullshit was infuriating and something I couldn't handle in a locked down environment.

I really should consider it again though. They have an intensive outpatient program but I'm not driving to Milwaukee 3 times a week or whatever. Plus I have a house to take care of and 6 weeks is quite a long time to have someone else watch it.

For on my own, I really like the SMART Recovery program but I guess it doesn't work at all when you don't do any of the homework.

I hate everything.

Been there. Keep your chin up and take your meds. Keep trying to interact with the world, it really does get better with time. Or not. Whatever. I just hit 4 years of sobriety and your post literally sounded like the first year of it. Like, VA flight deck and all.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't go that far, it's probably just that I've had more time. I think the biggest step was just realizing that everything I felt after the army and Iraq was not actually unique, special or even unexpected. I eventually took solace in understanding that plenty had gone down this road and made it. A lot of old friends did and more than a few ended it how they saw fit. Ultimately it's just life and people probably understand more about what you're going through than you want to believe right now. Whatever happens, you're not alone in what you've done and what you're going through.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I did the inpatient thing a few times as well. Getting sober was the single most important thing I did. It was hell and for what it's worth I'm in your neck of the woods. Did white city myself. The VA ultimately wasn't what got through to me. Jail, losing my family and a pair of very lucky suicide attempts finally did. That and a lot of psychotropics. As I'm sure you've dealt with, going on field trips to grocery stores was about when I started realizing I really wasn't in touch with reality anymore.

Edit:come to think of it, all the mushrooms and lsd weren't helping either!

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 21, 2017

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't know. After hiding all of this stuff for for 10 years everything kind of blew up and I wasn't as ashamed and then I think I started oversharing everything. I try not to in person anymore but it's difficult for some reason.

I really didn't want to hijack this thread. I'm sure other people have problems as well but again, I think I just overshared. Glad to see people not doing the usual GBS "you're gay" thing though. It's not often that happens. :haw:

UR GAY. See? That wasn't so bad. Seriously, the biggest thing I think might help you is to internalize that a lot of people go through what you're going through. Noone is going to fault you for admitting your problems and seeking support and help. Wallowing in your own self pity is a whole different issue that will get you mocked. I don't think you are having a pity party.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

dad gay. so what posted:

better men than you have tried and failed by relying on their self-will. you cant fix a hosed up brain with a hosed up brain, dipshit

Your post rate is sitting at 4.20 posts a day. I don't think you're allowed to post about sobriety.

edit: How can that not be intentional? Is this how you limit your shitposting? Frankly I find this fascinating, please explain.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 7, 2017

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did you ever consider perhaps just replacing "god" with "yourself"? You really seem to be getting hung up on semantics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\/\/\/\
All hail vendagoat

This is true. I guess it's the principle of the thing. Yeah, I can say these magic words and change them to whatever I want, but then what's the point at all.

edit: On second thought, you've got it all figured out. Proceed.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 7, 2017

• Locked thread