Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress TOM BRADY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Seriously though, how do you gently caress up a 4 possession game?

Prevent defense

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Falcons fell into the exact same trap the Packers do with the lead on offense. Ok, but occasionally good running game, but the passing game is much, much better. What do you do? You rely on your QB instead of, you know, handing the ball off. BUT IOSPACE, WOULDN'T THE OTHER TEAM EXPECT THE RUN SO YOU PASS IT INSTEAD?

Run. the. loving. ball. If you grind out 3-4 yards, maybe 5, a carry, you're going to get first downs.

e: oh, and it runs more time off the clock giving your D a bit more time to take a break.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

illcendiary posted:

I really am continually dumbfounded at how coaches forget the value of even an unsuccessful run late in the game. The fact that a single play can burn 45 seconds of game time is frankly a broken part of football and yet the Falcons were running plays with 15-20 seconds left on the play clock. Unreal

That's the one thing Rodgers does better than Ryan did yesterday. Rodgers will let the play clock get almost to 0 and then snap it late in the game. Doesn't change the fact that McCarthy won't call a loving run for the life of him when trying to burn down the clock.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and the 49ers are still going to hire Shanahan because their owner is bigger loving idiot than the Falcon's second half playcalling.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

axeil posted:

So bigger question, which comeback is more absurd, this or the one the Seahawks pulled off against the Packers in the NFCCG?

I think the Packers gently caress-ups were way worse overall but you gotta give some major credit to going from "in game winning FG range" to "4th and 33". I mean, god drat that was bad.

Dunno, they didn't have an onside kick sail through someone's hands

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shirts and skins posted:

That one was really really bad. There were a couple of spots where the Pack could have sealed it if they hadn't been so conservative.

See, here's the thing I have to give Bellichek loving credit for. When he gets the lead, he knows how to loving protect it. He knows exactly when to run, when to pass, and when to boot it. Every other coach in the league it seems either goes too conservative (Green Bay) or goes for the ultimate 360 noscope killshot via TD (Atlanta). He's a great coach, but like the Yankees in the 90s, gently caress Off Patriots.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, spotted at the game last night, for a change of pace:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

King Hong Kong posted:

If I were a Falcons fan, I'm not sure I would want to watch the NFL again after that game.

Unless you happen to root for one of a handful of regularly great teams, you have such limited opportunities to see your team win a championship and a Super Bowl loss is often devastating for a team.

Losing that way has to be particularly horrible. A Warriors' style loss is embarrassing to be sure but it isn't as if they didn't come away with a championship the year before.

Instead, you can be a Browns fan and never have high hopes for anything ever, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

King Hong Kong posted:

I like how people still don't know what team I support after posting in TFF for years. My team went the route of devastating Super Bowl loss that caused the team to implode four years ago.

Your avatar doesn't help matters, to be fair.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

I still can't believe that Julio Jones catch

He did have some good ones.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Part of me wonders if Blank's republican donations were matching an employee's.

He does seem like a nice guy from what I've seen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also lol mark Davis not donating to politics

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mastershakeman posted:

yeah i think this is the biggest thing. the last two superbowls the pats won had absolutely insane blunders by the opposing team at the end of games and its infuriating.

It's a pitfall every other coach with a top flight qb falls into.

Though I think part of it has to do with "if we don't get a td, they win" which leads to the stupid.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Amy Pole Her posted:

Remember the one drive that was entirely automatic first downs on 3rd down conversions the patriots otherwise would've never gotten ?

Wasn't That the fg?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evilweasel posted:

I mean I can't really look at a 28-3 score in the third quarter and think "this game is sealed but only if they get some more points". The game was sealed. I mean, somehow they still blew it but the numbers were as close to 100% win probability as it gets.

Though I won't go as far to say it was the craziest win % swing this year.

That also belongs to the Falcons when Berry took that 2pt back.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

I meant more people declaring the 49ers morons for hiring him.

There are plenty of other reasons why the 49ers are morons

Well, their owner is really the source of all their problems

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So is Matt Ryan the second coming of Marino?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

weird Asian candy posted:

Yeah. I can't fault him for putting it in Matt's hands. There is a logical line of thinking for it. It just sucks man, I can't stop replaying it in my head.

And that's the trap I mentioned. You have an mvp qb, but a ground game that can close out the game. What do you do?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

Marino was a top 2 or 3 QB in the league for basically his entire career, so no, Ryan isn't on that level

Ryan is easily the best QB in the league right now without a ring. And he's better than Flacco.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Besides that guy (and you) and pearl clutching old women who have nothing better to do besides call the FCC about the slightest thing that they disagree with on TV, who cares? :nallears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

most reliable one, anyway.

For now. It used to be SF or Dallas

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chris James 2 posted:

Martellus Bennett
Devin McCourty
Chris Long
Dont'a Hightower
James White
Legarrete Blount
Alan Branch

Also, makes me happy White is skipping, given he was moral SB MVP there.

gently caress Tom Brady.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, two of ESPN's writers are going to release a book detailing why Roger "Somehow a worse commissioner than Gary Bettman" Goddell is still in charge of everything.

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

That's pretty cool though; never not go to minor leaguish events with dads imho

The minor league hockey in New England is loving bananas too, as those teams regularly lose all their good players to the majors so you get to see good play too

Minor league teams also have the best gimmick nights

• Locked thread