Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
On the bright side, this gives Kyle Shanahan an easy way to bond with some of his new players.

...the ones who haven't retired, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

weird Asian candy posted:

Of course not. But it also doesn't make him immune to scrutiny. His play calls literally just cost his team a superbowl.

I didn't realize he also coached ST and defense.

Huh.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

the decision by Weems to take it out isn't on anyone but him.

The defense got gassed because the offense stalled out in the 4th and playing that much man had depleted their energy.

They ran it out instead of taking a TB three times for pretty big yardage deficits. You'd think the coach would tell him to take a knee at some point in there.

Not going to argue that the defense got gassed, because they obviously did. Maybe the coach shouldn't have stuck to a nearly exclusive man scheme, and made some adjustments?

It was definitely some offensive coaching/play that cost them the game. It was also definitely some ST coaching/play and defensive coaching/play that coast them the game. People focusing so much on Shanahan's mistakes is silly; the whole team hosed up the second half.

(for which I am very sorry, I was pulling for you guys)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

I'm sorry, I'm still super pissed off and overreacting to everything. It was a cluster gently caress of a game all around, you are correct. Shanahan is the easy target due to the end, but you are right if the defense were able to get off the field more it would have made a huge difference. If the offense were efficient on 3rd down, if they would have called more running plays, it would have moved the chains and allowed the defense to catch their breathe.

It was just a comedy of events man.

Close loses in the Super Bowl absolutely are the worst. Thinking about it never gets easier, don't believe the condescending assholes that say otherwise (I've still never rewatched the entire Ravens SB).

I hope your team weathers it better than mine did :(

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

evilweasel posted:

i think i'm over those two giants losses now, actually

Really living up to that username :argh:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

For sure. I don't trust a 40yd field goal in the Super Bowl, especially when historically amazing kickers like Ghost are missing XPs. I don't think it was as straightforward as running three times and going for it, they needed an extra 10-15 yards to put Matt Bryant in a comfortable range, and even THEN you've got to worry about Shea McLellan hopping the center because you know at that point, the Patriots would be in all-out block mode on that play.

The Falcons for sure hosed that game up, but I think there are very few quarterbacks, if any, that could take the opportunities the Falcons handed over and capitalize on them. I don't think Big Ben could have done it.

And even after the sack (2nd down play, after a 1 yard loss on a run. 23 yard line. 5 step drop out of shotgun from 28 to the 33 yard line, Ryan scrambles backwards for another 5 yards to almost the 40) they would have been fine if not for a holding penalty by Matthews on the third down.

Just about everyone hosed that drive up, except for Julio.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Abugadu posted:

And was someone seriously advocating not trotting out Matt Bryant for a FG under 50 yards? You have to be loving insane, that guy is probably the most clutch kicker for mid-long distance I have ever seen.

I think the argument was more that adding just 3 points isn't enough to guarantee a win, or even a tie, with almost four minutes left in the game.

evilweasel posted:

three runs with maybe one pass thrown in there to mix it up with ryan firmly instructed under no circumstance can he take a sack

This is the correct viewpoint to have (and probably was the plan).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Kyle Shanahan has accepted responsibility for the loss, and was demoted for his failure.

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/828758777595850752

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Abugadu posted:

Not a 100% guarantee, but you're making the other team have to get a TD, a 2-pt, an onside, a FG, and an overtime win, which is a tall order, compared to only TD/2pt/OT, given the % chance of recovering onsides that are expected.

Packers had the exact same situation against the Seahawks, and even though they loving blew it, I still don't think McCarthy was unjustified in doing what he did.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone expected the league MVP to eat a 12 yard sack, followed by their franchise left tackle blowing a block so badly he was forced to blatantly hold. Just crazy poo poo.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Silly Burrito posted:

Trigger warning that crap.

GODDAMNIT VERNON DAVIS.

It's funny because most 49er fans have the exact same reaction to him now.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/829373599245008897

Oh, Freeman :3:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Jewmanji posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/roger...SocialMarketing

If you want to know what authentic emotion from Belichick looks like, watch the second clip in this article where he screams "I LOVE YOU GUYS" while he hugs Brady.

I prefer to think of him as a primordial, football winning, inhuman monster, thank you very much.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

cravius posted:

*looks around group of friends* *doesn't see "the dumb one"*
Uh oh

Strange, most goons are:

*looks around group of friends* *they're all "the dumb ones" :smuggo:*

*realizes none of them think of him as a friend*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU