Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Congrats Pats fans, that was one hell of a game. Tom is the greatest.

I'm absolutely heart broken and I just can't even right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't care if Jesus Christ was the quarterback, I put that loss on the Falcons. Yes, Brady and the team came back spectacularly, but Atlanta choked and made a series of bad decisions that allowed New England to come back and win.

Yuuuuuup. So many things had to go wrong (or right depending on where you are sitting) for New England to come back that it's hard to not put the loss squarely on Atlanta's shoulders.

- Not running the ball when milking the clock and in FG range to go up two scores
- Speaking of running, where the hell was Devonta Freeman the second half? He was carving that defense and no where to be found in the 2nd half...2 carries?
- Matt Ryan cannot take a sack there
- Why are we running the play with :20 on the play clock when we are trying to take time OFF the clock?
- If we would have run the ball, Ryan doesn't get sacked...Jake doesn't hold...
- If any one of the 4 should have been interceptions in the 4th quarter and OT occur, game over.
- If Weems doesn't take the ball out from the 1 and waste 5 seconds...
- If the subsequent plays aren't all IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD...

So many if's. I know the Pats dropped some balls and missed some throws...but it's hard to put this loss anywhere else but right on Atlanta.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

evilweasel posted:

oh yeah that final drive was Andy Reid-esque. so many checkdown throws that were far worse than just throwing the ball away to stop the clock. like, great, you got five yards and used a third of your remaining time with no timeouts, good work with that completion to your own thirty.

Absolutely brutal that final sequence of events from Weems to the checkdowns nowhere near the sidelines.

I knew when Ryan was taking snaps with :20 left that it was over. They were full on panic mode. Reminiscent of the Mike Smith days.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I mean, it was pretty clear Atlanta's defense was gassed in the second half, since their offense couldn't stay on the field. All of those overthrown Brady balls started getting caught since Atlanta's coverage wasn't able to keep up. Lacking Desmond Trufant hurt a lot too, I'm sure.

Yeah, Poole looked every bit the rookie last night. Neal as well. Jones and Campbell are the real deal and I suspect Neal will come back with a vengeance but not having Trufant really did hurt. Also having Clayborn there to apply even more pressure really stung.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

It's not just that the Falcons should have win. It's that it wasn't possible for the Patriots to win. It simply was not possible.

Until it was impossible for the Falcons to win :(

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/status/828627287348219906

Ya think?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

evilweasel posted:

and no part of that catch was luck either

edelman got a lucky bounce off someone's leg while doing his insaneo-catch, jones just managed to grab a ball when he was not open, get his toes down through sheer magic, and still hold onto the ball

it was absolutely insane, they showed the "what does this look like from the QB's perspective" and he was covered as all hell

And then the series of unfortunate events unfolded that ended any chance Atlanta had to hold on. RUN THE BALL AND KICK THE FG KYLE!!!

Seriously, I think he has PTSD. He is quoted as saying he doesn't even remember what happened but he knew they had to get back into FG range...they were on the 23...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The second guessing of the play calling on that drive is over the top. The Falcons had just ran the ball and lost a yard. So it's not like they didn't even try to run. How can people seriously complain about putting the ball in the hands of the league MVP and asking him to put the game away?

I get your point, but at that point you also have to protect your lead. If even they had kneeled down 3 times and lost 3 yards, they still would have been at the 26 and while there is no guarantee he makes it, Matt Bryant has been money his entire career. It was the whole thing. Snapping the ball with :20 left on the clock, the incompletions that stop the clock and don't force the Patriots to use their time outs, the sack, the hold. I mean, it's a pretty easy argument to make that they run the ball three times, even if they go nowhere, kill the clock, kick the FG, celebrate your championship.

I feel like it's Football/Clock Management 101.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

big money big clit posted:

It was very aggressive, but coaches so often get poo poo on for being too conservative and letting the other team back in the game that I feel like sometimes it's a no win situation. You go full on Mike McCarthy and you get called out for surrendering a big lead while trying to bleed the clock. You go for the first down and the TD to really sink the knife in and you get called out for not playing it safe. It's an art more than a science and most coaches seem to get it wrong pretty often.

Matt Ryan not taking every second off of the clock in every snap of the second half was weird though.

I just cannot for the life of me defend the call. And hindsight being 20/20 I get it, but even at the time I was shouting at the TV to run the ball. Freeman getting two touches the entire second half? Another thing I will never understand.

Like I said, I get the point. Matt had a perfect passer rating deep into the SB for crying out loud, but I just feel like it's common sense to run the ball, milk the clock, kick the fg and walk away. The Patriots wouldn't come back from 11. I guess I shouldn't say wouldn't given the amount of crap that had to go their way in the first place, but up 11 with next to no time is a lot better than up 8 with next to no time. That 3 point buffer was the game.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Matt Ryan apparently was yelling at his QB Coach to call running plays.

With Kyle leaving, I wish he would have just gone all Manning and called his own plays. It would have ended better.

Also, is no one really talking about the radio going out in his helmet? I just cannot even believe how many things went wrong at the end of that game.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I'll give you my suicide pass. Feel free to use it on yourself.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

One bad game doesn't suddenly make Kyle Shanahan a bad OC

Of course not. But it also doesn't make him immune to scrutiny. His play calls literally just cost his team a superbowl.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I meant more people declaring the 49ers morons for hiring him.

There are plenty of other reasons why the 49ers are morons

Oh. Yeah, no. He is a great OC, I do wish him well in SF I just wish he would have sealed the deal here :(

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

big money big clit posted:

I mean, I agree that it obviously wasn't a good choice, but I get what the coach is thinking in that situation. Holding the ball and controlling the clock is worth more than 3 points because it's a guaranteed win, rather than a probable one. If they get a couple of first downs they can probably run time out without even giving the Pats a chance to respond. It's the sort of thing that gets you lauded if it works (see Jack del Rio going for two at the end of the game to avoid overtime) and pilloried if it doesn't. Whereas playing for the field goal is the safe choice (assuming you done get yourself penalized out of range anyway) but if you manage to lose then people are going to point to that as the turning point, when the coach didn't have the guts to trust his MVP quarterback and #1 offense to get him a first down.

Yeah. I can't fault him for putting it in Matt's hands. There is a logical line of thinking for it. It just sucks man, I can't stop replaying it in my head.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Coldforge posted:

I didn't realize he also coached ST and defense.

Huh.

Oh gently caress off with this. The defense played great for 3 quarters and the decision by Weems to take it out isn't on anyone but him.

The defense got gassed because the offense stalled out in the 4th and playing that much man had depleted their energy.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Coldforge posted:

They ran it out instead of taking a TB three times for pretty big yardage deficits. You'd think the coach would tell him to take a knee at some point in there.

Not going to argue that the defense got gassed, because they obviously did. Maybe the coach shouldn't have stuck to a nearly exclusive man scheme, and made some adjustments?

It was definitely some offensive coaching/play that cost them the game. It was also definitely some ST coaching/play and defensive coaching/play that coast them the game. People focusing so much on Shanahan's mistakes is silly; the whole team hosed up the second half.

(for which I am very sorry, I was pulling for you guys)

I'm sorry, I'm still super pissed off and overreacting to everything. It was a cluster gently caress of a game all around, you are correct. Shanahan is the easy target due to the end, but you are right if the defense were able to get off the field more it would have made a huge difference. If the offense were efficient on 3rd down, if they would have called more running plays, it would have moved the chains and allowed the defense to catch their breathe.

It was just a comedy of events man.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

extendedsolo posted:

I think last night they felt like it was in their best interest go to for the TD and really ice the game. I agree though, why they didn't care more about the clock I'll never know. The only thing I can think of is that it would've deviated from their philosophy during that game of "PUT UP AS MANY POINTS AS POSSIBLE!"

I just feel bad for the Falcons, since this was most likely their best chance to win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. Aren't many of the defensive players up for FA after this season?

No. The Falcons are actually in pretty good shape in terms of contracts and have a ton of youth from recent draft classes. I know I've said it before, but it is worth noting that 7 out of 11 starters on defense were first or second year players which is pretty incredible. I've been pounding the "they aren't as bad as stats show" drum for some time, so at least it was good to see them perform last night. Grady Jarrett looked like an absolute man out there and it appears him and Hageman side by side may be a good pairing for the future.

Their secondary is very young with Tru, Alf, Collins, Poole, Goodwin, Neal and even Allen.

They should be a player in the NFC for a while, but you just never know.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I really can't blame the defense. They were very solid for most of the game until they were just too gassed to continue, and the offense just kept putting the defense back on the field so they couldn't rest. Early on that was because of quick scores, which you can't really complain about, but I wouldn't pin this on the D.

I wouldn't either. I was extremely pleased with the effort the D put up. The offense was great for the most part too, they just didn't get it done when they needed to the most.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

shyduck posted:

I can't shake the feeling that if the Falcons do something as simple as 3 kneeldowns after the Julio catch, they win the Super Bowl. Am I oversimplifying things here? They really hosed this one up badly

Nope. That would have done the trick. And I have no doubt that New England goes down and scores again but then they would be forced to recover an onside with not a lot of time and chasing 3 points. Odds are that would have been enough to win it. Of course, there were a million things going on in that cluster gently caress of a 4th quarter but if you really want to simplify it you absolutely can make a strong case that 3 kneel downs, or 3 running plays followed by a FG would have been enough to seal their fate.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

extendedsolo posted:

so we are all in agreement that not only did the Patriots have a miraculous comeback, but the Falcons also completely hosed it up? It's both not one or the other right?

I would say it was a joint effort. The greatness of the comeback is almost as huge as the greatness of the collapse, but I am admittedly biased and lean more towards Atlanta screwed themselves and not New England took it from them.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MrLogan posted:

They also could have left NE with a lot less time on the clock on the final 4th quarter drive by not snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock when up by 8 points.

It wasn't even 15, it was 20! Completely mind boggling!

That triggered me filled with a room with people that didn't quite know how to act or what to say because I was bordering breakdown screamed "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING" as loud as I could at the TV. Awesome.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

extendedsolo posted:

it was rigged by Trump. If the Falcons kept trying to win the drones surrounding the stadium would start picking off random Falcons players.

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump :argh:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

For sure. I don't trust a 40yd field goal in the Super Bowl, especially when historically amazing kickers like Ghost are missing XPs. I don't think it was as straightforward as running three times and going for it, they needed an extra 10-15 yards to put Matt Bryant in a comfortable range, and even THEN you've got to worry about Shea McLellan hopping the center because you know at that point, the Patriots would be in all-out block mode on that play.

The botched XP has no bearing on Bryant though. And Bryant, throughout his career, has been outstanding. The odds of him hitting a 40 yard FG are very, very good and I really don't think they needed an extra 10-15 yards at all. Bryant can hit from 60, 40 is a chip shot.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

...you don't think the pressure of playing in a Super Bowl has no effect on kickers? lol, not everybody is an Adam Vinatieri waiting to put it through the uprights as time expires. Ghost can hit them from 60 too, and he missed an XP last night. It's not as easy as saying "well he can hit them from that distance all the time" lmao. Ghost is 5 spots above Matt Bryant in the "best NFL kickers" category and blew an XP. Kicking field goals has changed drastically over the past two years, they're not gimmies anymore. No head coach is sitting on the sidelines going "yeah, a FG from this spot is a lock for sure"

Pressure, sure I just love how you automatically assume Bryant misses because he isn't GHOST. GHOST IS THE GREATEST KICKER EVER!

I like Bryant's chances in that spot, pressure or not.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

evilweasel posted:

So do I, just not enough to pass up the chance to try to run the ball three times and get a first down to improve them.

Agreed. I wouldn't have kneeled down three times then kicked, I would have run three times, hoped for a first and would have settled for a FG all day.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Did you get permanent brain damage between last night and today or something? Way to totally ignore and misrepresent what I just said.

Did Bryant have a good shot at the kick? Sure. Was it a smart idea to risk it and potentially give the Patriots the ball with only half the field to drive? gently caress no.

I have no idea what you said because all I read was GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST. Bryant had a better FG% than GHOST this year.

Running the ball to kill the clock, force NE to use timeouts and then trot out a great (whether you can admit it through your BAHSTIN goggles or not) kicker is not exactly a risk...I'm not the one with brain damage. Even running it twice and then going for a higher percentage pass would have sufficed. Basically, the exact opposite of what they did. What they did WAS the risk and it blew up in their face.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Yup, I'm the idiot...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Gatts posted:

I am very happy that Alex Mack went from the Browns to Superbowl Center on the Atlanta Falcons. I'd liked to have seen him get a ring.

Yeah. That final sack was his assignment too. He was hurting bad...makes you wonder how different things would have been had he not been playing on a broken leg. :(

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

- 2/2/04

Also suck my dick

What does your birthday have anything to do with this?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Sark would have run the ball :colbert:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

Bama refusing to run the ball late is one of the reasons they lost the national championship. I'm uh, not real sure about this hire.

I don't follow college ball, so I really don't know poo poo about Sark I just wanted to take a moment to take a stab at Shanahan again, ok?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

I was rooting for the Falcons myself but I'm guessing your friend was insufferable when they were up 28-3

He must be a new Falcons fan. I had my poo poo zipped up and on lock waiting for the clock to hit double 0 before I was going to unleash many years of pent up poo poo talking.

I ended up just taking a really big dump instead. Much like the Falcons.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Russad posted:

Too bad no one told Atlanta that.

It still sickens me. Like, legit makes my stomach hurt sickens me the complete ineptitude at the end of that game. Shanahan was nothing short of brilliant all season long and he chooses the final 15 minutes of his Falcon career to turn into an idiot and cost the franchise a shot at it's first ever superbowl. Unforgivable.

Thinking back on it, it's still just crazy to me how many things had to go wrong for Atlanta and right for New England for that to even happen. It's insane. Then you think about the tipped balls how either one of them results in an interception the game is over. That tipped ball to Bennett...if Collins isn't completely sucking wind at that point, probably would have been pick 6 number 2. If Freeman picks up a block the game is over. If the offense runs the ball and kicks the FG it's over. I'm just still in total disbelief.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

evilweasel posted:

matt ryan couldn't manage to win a game after being spotted 25 points and 2.5 quarters gone

Let's not get on Matt Ryan for this one. Dude had a perfect passer rating deep into the freaking Superbowl. Out of all the blame to be spread around, you cannot point the finger at him.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

If you put pretty much anyone on the planet in at 4:40, they would win the game. Just ignore the voice in your helmet, take the ball and kneel down - not that hard.

They had passing personnel in the game...it's not like they are going to line up Taylor Gabriel at TE2 for a jumbo package.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah sure just ignore your coaches

More great ideas from GC. What's funny is that if Freeman picks up that basic as poo poo blitz, there was a wide open Sanu breaking free for the end zone.

That is what is so maddening and heart wrenching. It was there. Many, many times it was there and they just kept digging. They almost held on in spite of themselves...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm not even a Falcons fan and I still keep thinking about it......

If not for a house full of people feeling completely and utterly sad for me, I may have broke down into some combination of screaming and sobbing...scrobbing. I would have been scrobbing.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Visual proof Brady bought SB 51...you cannot deny the money changing hands here.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

He has a pretty nasty habit of punching white people and I mean trumps the whitest mother fucker on earth

He's more of an oversized Oompa Loompa really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ehud posted:

swickles is a Steelers fan so it looks like I've moved up to #2 :q:

I have it on good authority that first is the worst and second is the best

• Locked thread