Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

move the team to LA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SHOAH NUFF posted:

the 2 most overrated NFL players of the past 15 years are Urlacher and Cutler, sorry Bears fans

i agree on urlacher but even i, the guy who thinks cutler is not much different than matt ryan, have never considered him overrated

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

urlacher was barely better than briggs

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

No. Your suggestion that Jay Cutler is as good as Matt Ryan is more intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

career

ryan: 7.4 y/a, 4.7 td%, 2.3 int%, 265 y/g
cam: 7.4 y/a, 4.6 td%, 2.7 int%, 234 y/g
kaep 7.3 y/a, 4.3 td%, 1.8 int%, 177 y/g
palmer 7.3 y/a, 4.7 td%, 3.0 int%, 253 y/g
cutler: 7.2 y/a, 4.6 td%, 3.3 int%, 233 y/g
luck: 7.2 y/a, 5.0 td%, 2.6 int%, 272 y/g
eli: 7.1 y/a, 4.7 td%, 3.2 int%, 239 y/g
stafford: 7.1 y/a, 4.4 td%, 2.5 int%, 278 y/g
flacco: 6.9 y/a, 3.8 td%, 2.5 int%, 236 y/g
smith: 6.8 y/a, 3.8 td%, 2.2 int%, 197 y/g
carr: 6.5 y/a, 4.7 td%, 1.8 int%, 238 y/g

here's ay/a which i dont buy as much as y/a
Wilson 8.2
Brady 7.8
Ben 7.7
rivers 7.6
Brees 7.5
Ryan 7.4
kaep 7.3
cam 7.2
luck 7.0
Palmer 6.9
Stafford 6.8
cutler 6.7
tannehill 6.7
Eli 6.6
carr 6.6
flacco 6.5
Smith 6.5

Cutler isn't as good, but he's also had way worse supporting talent and way more offensive coordinator upheaval. hell, until lately ryan was captain checkdown despite having roddy and then julio for his whole career.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 8, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That is a huge difference in INT %.

Cutler throws 1 more int per 100 passes, which, unless you're tom brady , is like 2.5 -3 games worth. big deal. i also think ints aren't the end of the world especially if the alternative is a failed 3rd down & punting.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grittybeard posted:

He had a solid four or so years of truly great play. The problem is everyone treated him like he was still the same guy after he started to lose his speed, which is what made him special. Like people were still pretending he was one of the best MLBs in the NFL at the end when he was just blah.

he also couldn't wrap up and got juked by brady and trucked by bettis, neither of which happened to briggs (whose sole fault was crashing that lambo)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lote posted:

Romo for reference is 7.9 y/a and 7.8 ay/a

yeah the first list i left off a ton of people that were clearly better, including him

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bad Moon posted:

As somebody who has a lifeguard cert as a part of his job I am so triggered by this

the bears drafted someone because he did that pool jump. it made him millions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DNS posted:

Every time you post this you look like the football version of the TimeCube guy.

and yet no one else has any decent stat to compare with. someone tried using the garbage dvoa/dyar stats i guess but man

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anya, where Kirk cousins is 7th and schaub 15th? Dalton 17th? Ryan is 10th.

I get wanting to include sacks but come on

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dutchy posted:

are you just totally retarded or what

yes

I bet people would argue that the strip sack on Ryan in the Superbowl would be all Cutler's fault if it happened to him, instead of blaming the rb

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 10, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sean10mm posted:

I mean, if you are just going to judge things on what *feels right* in the end, then why use numbers at all?

There is a version of ANYA without sacks on PFR but I forget which one it is.

That's just ay/a. Which takes ints into account. A much better measurement would be where ints are thrown from and to. If you can pass all day between the 20s but throw ints in the red zone that should be treated worse than throwing ints from your 40 to the opposing 20 , especially on third down.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sean10mm posted:

Like DVOA which you hate?

argh, my petard

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sean10mm posted:

Don't worry, I've solved QB grading for you with my innovative Quarterback Report Card (QBRC) that returns easy-to-interpret grades! :v:

code:
Rk	Name	        AY/A	QBRC	Grade
1	Matt Ryan	10.1	107	A++
2	Tom Brady	9.3	99	A+ 
3	Dak Prescott	8.6	91	A-
4	Aaron Rodgers	8.1	86	B
5	Kirk Cousins	8.0	85	B
6	Marcus Mariota	7.9	84	B
7	Drew Brees	7.8	83	B
8	Andrew Luck	7.8	83	B
9	Russell Wilson	7.6	81	B-
10	Andy Dalton	7.5	79	C+
11	Derek Carr	7.5	79	C+
12	Roethlisberger	7.5	79	C+
13	Stafford	7.3	77	C+
14	Sam Bradford	7.3	77	C+
15	Ryan Tannehill	7.3	77	C+
16	Kaepernick	7.2	76	C
17	Philip Rivers	7.1	75	C
18	Tyrod Taylor	7.1	75	C
19	Alex Smith	7.0	74	C
20	Carson Palmer	6.9	73	C
21	Jameis Winston	6.8	72	C-
22	Trevor Siemian	6.8	72	C-
23	Eli Manning	6.4	68	D+
24	Cam Newton	6.4	68	D+
25	Joe Flacco	6.0	64	D+
26	Case Keenum	5.9	63	D+
27	Blake Bortles	5.8	61	D-
28	Carson Wentz	5.7	60	D-
29	Fitzpatrick	5.4	57	F
30	Brock Osweiler	5.0	53	F
31	Jared Goff	4.3	46	F
	Mean 	        7.1	75	C
        Median	        7.2	76	C

It's just adjusted yards per attempt indexed so the league average = 75

that's really cool, how'd you index it like that? I'd like to see active players over their careers. There's no question ryan had an amazing year (his y/a was 9.3, almost 2 full points over his career)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
bears are going to pick up cruz and claim he's an upgrade over jeffrey

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Intruder posted:

When are the Bears going to cut Cuttie already so I can get my hopes up only to watch him sign with like the Jets or Bills

they're probably hoping to get a bradford style trade, where some starter goes down just before the season and they can get a much higher price

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
its gonna be cool when revis gets cut then sues the city of pittsburgh for 15m for charging him with 'terroristic threats'

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
One thing I was just discussing w/ coworkers - what if the Texans shipped Osweiler + picks to the Bears for Cutler? The bears have plenty of cap space, especially if they let Jeffrey go. Make Houston better, let Chicago rebuild, etc

It's so great it'll never happen

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GaussianCopula posted:

The Texans would still have to take a 9m cap hit while trading for Osweiler is a very bad PR move for Chicago, basically giving up on the season before it has started.

And Chicago already gave up on the season by refusing to make any changes in the coaching staff that had the 2nd worst record in a century of play, as well as presumably getting rid of their starters at the two most important positions on offense with no plan besides trotting out matt '200 turnovers in a game' barkley

edit: post above shows kind of what i'm thinking. without jeffrey or cutler bears are going to have like 80m in cap space so osweiler wouldn't hurt them

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TheChirurgeon posted:

this but unironically

In actual News (or a reasonable facsimile thereof), Football Outsiders released its analysis on failed completions for 2016, looking at who's the best at throwing worthless completions. Read it here:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/failed-completions-2016

The short version is that Joe Flacco is this year's King of Bad Completions, with a whopping 33% of his passes failing to gain 60% of the needed yards on 1st down, 45% on 2nd down, and 100% on 3rd/4th down. He's had two seasons in his career with 100+ failed completions (2016, 2013), and this year set the NFL record for seasons since 1989 with 144 failed passes, apparently. Right around Flacco were Keenum (63 failures, 32.1%) and Goff (44 failures, 39.3%). Bradford's 2016 also came close, with 29.4% of his completions being failures (116 total).

Dennis Pitta was the receiver of the most failed receptions (31), and was #5 in the failure rate (36% of his receptions were failures). Comparatively, the league's best receivers in terms of failed reception rate in 2016 were Nelson (2.9%), Jeffery (3.8%), Dez Bryant (4.0%), Josh Brown (5.1%), and Mike Evans (5.2%).

Being on the list isn't necessarily bad per se, since Brees has led the league in failed completions a few times, but Flacco ain't Brees.

In semi-relevant news, Newton was among the top of the list, with only 18.1% of his passes being failures. Ryan ranked 7th with 20.6%, while Cousins ranked 14th with 22.9%.

There's also some good stuff in there on defenses. It's worth a read.

e: God dammit Kalli

that's probably my favorite stat, i wish they had it for historical reference because i'd love to see where cutler is vsother qbs

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
NFC north facts

since Brett favre joined the packers in 92, playoff appearances: lions-8. packers-19. vikes 13. bears-5.

the bears loving suck

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

evilweasel posted:

He's made $112m, he really can be like "gently caress you, I'm out".

isnt that what orton did, just walked out the door and straight to a bar and never left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

StarcraftM posted:

I'm the biggest Gronk Homer ever but he doesn't have the games / years to get in yet.

He's unquestionably the greatest TE to ever suit up on the field when he's healthy but he's missed a LOT of games and he might not have much more football in him if his back goes out again. He's only played ~5 seasons worth of games IIRC.

sure he does, terrell davis and gale sayers had weaker careers than him. and gronk, when healthy, was the best all time and it was pretty obvious to everyone watching , whereas running backs at least had some arguments of who was better at the peak

TD played in 78 games, starting 77. gronk 88/75. gale sayers was only in 68

• Locked thread