Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm morbidly curious what team winds up with geno smith next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Brady has reached the point where anything he does is going to get an ex post facto rationalization as being "good leadership" because of his past success. If he farted he'd get credit for "breaking the tension" and "keeping everyone loose" or some nonsense.

If his "intangibles" matter at all, it's probably only insofar as his past success gives everyone a little more confidence if things look lovely. What that's worth compared to "Going apeshit in the 4th quarter & OT after starting lovely", I dunno. :iiam:

The stuff after the Super Bowl about Brady made it seem like what he does that's great for the team is being a follower, not a leader. He's not about trying to be the leader of the team, he's about trying to do exactly what Belichick tells him to do.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Intruder posted:

She's right

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fishing with the fam posted:

That was my guess, but I was curious if there was an actual analysis of this I had not seen. Its an interesting concept. I would imagine it would involve finding the correlation between percentage of the first down yardage picked up on 1st/2nd/3rd down and what the corresponding percentage of successfully picking up the first down on that possession is. That is, it was probably found that picking up 45% of the yardage to a first down on 1st down is the tipping point of being more likely than not to pick up the first.

I assumed it was that if you pick up 45% or more of the yardage you are more likely to make it than a given 1st and 10 - i.e., did you improve or reduce your odds of making the 1st down compared to the play before?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

So, uhm, the Jets literally used burner phones to circumvent the "no tampering" rule with Revis - but somehow Goodell has no issue with that?
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...=mmehta+twitter

Dock them at least 2 first round picks, because using burner phones and having a "no paper trail" guideline clearly means they broke rules with malice aforethought and should be punished accordingly.

on the other hand though, revis was punishment enough and they're still forced to be the jets

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Christ, while I appreciate his love for South Park, please don't break your neck (or any other bone) while skiing.

If you can't handle a fall like that you shouldn't be skiing at all. That's not a bad fall, he's going to fall forward and slide for a bit on the downslope. Its just going to be sort of unpleasant.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

He's made $112m, he really can be like "gently caress you, I'm out".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

isnt that what orton did, just walked out the door and straight to a bar and never left?

Yeah, he said he was going to get his wallet and would be right back. And then never came back.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

hey what's tiki barber been up to

Oh. Yeah that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense, when you throw the ball away you don't get a completion, when you throw a risky throw sometimes you get a completion, sometimes you get an interception. If you avoid the risky throws by throwing the ball away then yes, your completion percentage will definitely be lower.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Someone remind me what happened with the * here. What did the Giants do to lose 11 draft spots again?

Used a walkie-talkie during a game to talk to Eli outside of the allowed radio.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hunt11 posted:

Even that adds to his appeal. The fact that Belichik and Gronk exist in the same organization with no apparent tension is hilarious.

i would pay good money to watch a belichick and gronk buddy comedy and/or reality tv show

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wtf literally, as ESPN and NFL Network can't even agree on how many years the contract is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

What the gently caress is going on here

He wants to play for a coach he likes, or collect $24m this year and be a free agent next year, and Washington has botched it so badly he has all the leverage to do that. He will easily command a monster contract if he hits free agency because he'll be the first pretty good free agent QB with actual history that hits the market (without injury risk).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It got posted/discussed in this thread when that tweet was posted, if he was actually leaving we'd have heard about it by now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CowboyKid posted:

Where's Peterson end up?

Packers?

Patriots?

I could see Peterson wanting to play for a contender, but not at the pittance the Patriots will offer him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

A long term deal would probably pay Cousins like $20+ million per, so I can see why you just say gently caress it and franchise him again.

Except the franchise tag again next year would pay him $28.8m, and they can't afford that, so Washington has no negotiating leverage with him left in order to get a discount over his FA deal next year. Hell, since he wants to go to SF, they have to pay more.

They didn't have any leverage once he was willing to take the tag, but now it's official.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Anyone who honestly believes Randy Moss did everything right and wasn't a bum, and it's just some old white man talking point, never saw him with the Raiders. He's a loser.

If I were the best in the world at what I do and stuck in an organization that aspired to mediocrity in a few years I'd get pissed and stop trying too. It's got to be infuriating seeing your talents utterly wasted and know you're never getting those years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Patriots should sign him for the vet minimum and win another ring with him.

• Locked thread