Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I first heard about that guy when Michigan had their satellite camp in Australia and I honestly thought it was some kind of prank, like the Australians found some giant 40 year old guy to pretend to be a recruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Doronin posted:

The IMG boys went on a campus tour bus trip last week to five schools. Talked to a few of them yesterday to hear how the visits really went..

Georgia - Hands down the best visit of the five. Kirby Smart made a great impression on everyone, and the entire team felt like the staff cared about them. Isaac Nauta also came out to visit with everyone and the kids were excited about that.

Clemson - Pretty similar to Georgia, actually. Everyone came away pretty happy and had the red carpet rolled out. Also got to spend some time with Shaq Smith (honestly, one of my all-time favorite people I've worked with).

Wake Forest - Not much to report. They arrived, they saw some stuff. "It was nice."

Tennessee - Everyone liked the facilities, but weren't able to point out much that stood out. One of them told me that the facilities were all that really separated it from Wake.

South Carolina - This went very badly. The USC staff, after inviting the team to stop by, acted as if it was an inconvenience that they were there. With 70 kids on the tour, they only took 6 of them on an actual tour (I know Xavier Thomas and Faalele were two of them, not sure on the others), and told everyone else they could "play around" in the indoor facility. So they literally just sat there playing on their phones for several hours and never met the coaches. Several of the higher ranked underclassmen were insulted because Muschamp and co. didn't even know their names. And on top of that, they held up the team bus after holding Xavier aside for an additional 15 minutes alone.

So in the end, Georgia and Clemson actually helped themselves. They appreciated Tennessee's hospitality. And South Carolina probably helped themselves a bit with Xavier, but really made a bad impression on the rest of the bunch.

Thanks for the info, these are basically exactly what I would have guessed based on the reputation of the teams, it's nice to know that sometimes those stereotypes are dead on

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
https://twitter.com/Thechrishinton/status/893993710169591810

~the georgia d-lineman pipeline~

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

I've heard he's been not very good as a player so far, which makes perfect sense given his complete inexperience, but I was hoping he'd just be a savant and immediately be choke slamming defensive linemen left and right

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

TheGreyGhost posted:

Not doubting the talent side of that at all. To clarify, O'Korn looked like an awesome transfer until he ended up trying to run a completely alien system to him going from air raid to Harbaugh's stuff. Patterson's been running Freeze's high school offense for 2 years so far. He's probably going to end up better, but I'm not going to be shocked if he fails to beat out a Peters or McCaffrey on that roster that's been around for a little longer, given that it's a massive massive learning curve.

O'Korn was benched in Houston before transferring. He was far from a slam dunk. People just thought he'd be good because "strong arm + Harbaugh coaching"

I don't think never developing the ability to move from a first read or see any pressure without running backward in the pocket was going to work in the air raid either.

Not to say Patterson couldn't be a bust too, but he is a lot more proven than O'Korn at this point

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Haven't really heard anything between him and Michigan in months. Was Georgia even still recruiting him seriously?

Not that I doubt the pull of Minnesota, but it seemed like most of the bigger programs that were intrigued by his physical abilities had cooled on him

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Doronin posted:

He was definitely still getting recruited heavily by everyone, UGA included. And his last visit before this weekend was to Alabama, and they're not bringing anyone in that isn't a take. Michigan, however, I couldn't speak to. They've been unusually quiet at IMG lately. But another aspect of his recruitment is that before August 2016, he had no exposure whatsoever to college football. Literally didn't know the difference between an Alabama or a Clemson and say, Hawaii or Troy. It was all the same to him, so he was the only recruit in America approaching the process without any preconceived notions about anyone. So he just took everything at face value, for what it was, and went with what he felt was the best fit.

I think he probably chose the Gophers because it came with the least pressure. Since the spring, he took on this '8th wonder of the world' kind of thing with people coming up to him, tugging at him and asking for photos, and he hated it. Especially after The Opening. Now he has a place he can develop and not have as much attention on him and play with his best friends.

Makes sense. I could see the opportunity to make something of yourself away from the hype and pressure seeming pretty good

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

vyst posted:

Not so fast friend

Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich has finally moved to Football

I agree the Big 10 West is worse, only on the idea that while the SEC East was more horrible this year, they have more talent and should improve significantly

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Crotch Bat posted:

Too many kids can't let go of that QB fantasy, especially when GT is the call.

Great timing on this as GT also looks likely to land 3* Michael Barrett as a QB, Michigan and others wanted him as a safety or RB

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Wow, who knew Dan Mullen was literally autistic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
3* QB Kevin Doyle decomitted from Michigan. They had wanted him to go to prep school for a year, so I'm guessing he got an offer to come in immediately that he preferred

• Locked thread