Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Maybe ol' Yellow Eyes is like the Blue Dude on 30 Rock and David's just really really hungry :shrug:

He needs Dr. Spaceman to give him some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's been used elsewhere to good effect, too. It's just a disturbing image.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Woah, if she swapped with her mom mid-coitus with her mom's boyfriend, wouldn't she immediately swap bodies into her mom's boyfriend?

My question is, what happens to the clothes? If he was, ahem, 'inside her' when she teleported back, and real Syd still had clothes on...

I can certainly understand why there would be lots of yelling.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

I'm enjoying it, though I do feel like the show gets too stylish and deliberately abstract for its own good sometimes. There's a fine line between a cool/unique aesthetic and a masturbatory one, and at times it feels like the latter. It's the Tarantino Effect.

I really feel as if this show is doing something amazing right now, and part of that is by taking what would traditionally be imagined in a very samey / simplistic way - a comic book story - and showing that if you take it seriously, you can do anything with it.

That's the point, right? The comic books provide *good stories*, and good stories are based on well-drawn characters trying to adapt to a situation - ridiculous as the situation may seem to us. Once you focus on the characters and the story, genre becomes malleable - you can play around and try new ways to present story beats that in other shows have become too attached to their traditional tropes. We've all seen 'Someone more powerful takes over for who you thought was in power before' - but when have you seen it done like this?

That was exceptional. The silent movie chase mixed with the musical shield scene was brilliant. And while it's true brilliant can sometimes be showey, this earned it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is how I felt about Hannibal, but award show voters didn't care about that either.

But Hannibal was morose and dark and left people feeling uncomfortable. This is much more playful, with an almost Worhol-like love affair with pop culture.

My friend doesn't like it. I think he thinks the plot is silly, because superheros. I think that the reason I love the show is that art is being made here. Who cares about the genre?

He loves Star Wars. And doesn't find that silly. I don't think he's an art fan.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

That really should have been better.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think there was a missed opportunity here. The episode started with a really compelling hook, but didn't follow through. What if the entire episode was seen through the D3 guy's perspective? Flip the narrative on its head for the final episode of the season. It would have been hard to maintain, but this is the show that could do it. Unfortunately, they gave that up after the first few minutes and kept it on the perspective of the mutants - which is something we've all seen before.

I don't watch this show to see stuff I've seen before, stuff that's been done to death. That's not what this show is good at. That's not even what the show tries to be good at.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Will I enjoy the season/show when it is over? I have no idea.

Did I enjoy that? gently caress yeah I did.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

So David isn't supposed to be sympatheic right?

I'm certainly not reading him as sympathetic. Then again, practically no one in the show is. This may be based on characters from a comic book, but it's not about heroes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Yeah this show has a point and that David was always going to turn terrible with having infinite power, a wonderful reversal of adolescent power fantasies. Loving the hell out of this.

So loving stylish too, i rewinded so many scenes from this ep like Games Without Frontiers.

What gets me is the casualness that is shown when David (and Farouk) use their powers. Like it's effortless. It's one of those things that the choreographed dance scenes have helped establish with the way they present the world. David could easily kill everyone, instantly, with a thought. And the only thing stopping him is that, at least right now, he doesn't want to.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, my take is Switch's dad?, an experienced time traveler himself, was trying to teach her how to time travel responsibly so you don't cause reality to unravel. unfortunately David's influence over her makes her fail to heed his advice.

Or, alternately, the guy controlling this whole thing from the getgo.

I mean, anything's possible in this show. I kind of like how the weird timeline shenanigans sort of justify the weird poo poo like robots with mustaches and airships that can cross some sort of 'atmospheric barrier' into space. Like, that's just how poo poo worked out in this timeline, everything is a mixture of the 1960s and the far future, get over it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

But isn't David's motivation "don't I deserve love? Don't I deserve happiness?", but he doesn't care about what that does to other people. Only him being loved and him being happy matters.

"Nothing that hurts me is real! No one who hates me is real!

Acts of God? I am God."

"Go. Or I kill every one of you."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Toxic internet I-have-to-show-how-right-I-am can be just as bad as toxic masculinity so could we, after a page of this, maybe just move on? We're all suitably impressed by how woke and/or correct you both are.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't really fancy spending another page arguing over this, but: gently caress off.

Rocksicles posted:

Fair enough, i'll let it go. Good stuff though.

Thank you to you both.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

DaveKap posted:

(Nobody seemed to mention it but did ya'll notice she's merging with that tree she's dead on? Remind anyone of what Ptonomy went through?)

It reminded me of the tree guy who was in the first episode of the series, at Clockworks.

And I just realized that the mental hospital from the start of the show was called 'Clockworks.'

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

He's also been driven insane by a demon who possessed him when he was a child, by abilities that he had to read minds and influence reality that he didn't understand, and by organizations that constantly tried to capture and imprison or outright kill him. I mean I get what everyone is saying about the parallels to how people ought to behave, but let's be honest, we're not talking about some average chud here.

He's never been safe, he's never felt safe, and he wants to feel safe. It's an understandable desire, and his stunted emotional growth and alienation from society only made him more likely to fall down a destructive path. It's a tragedy, both what he did to others, and himself. No one is saying Hamlet is a hero to be emulated, but hopefully you feel some sort of empathy for his character.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 26, 2019

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I'm still amazed I didn't see the connection to 'Clockworks' and all the time travel until just yesterday.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Falling in love with a manic pixie dream girl doesn't actually solve your deep seeded issues, cute as it may be.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

If only the message would be heard by more showrunners. Like the people who run Westworld.

"See? This is what you can do when your episodes tell complete stories. You can go this crazy and absurd and out there, and still end up at a place that makes sense."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Corte posted:

Good point and thanks for the suggestions. It's hard to pin down given I loved almost everything about Legion. I suppose what I appreciated the most was how thought provoking it could be and how much it connected with me on an emotional level. Another thing that definitely sticks out is how great and fitting the music selections were. Thanks to whoever linked the interview to the music supervisor, that was a good read.

Rick and Morty. Noah Hawley's own Fargo TV series. And yeah, Mr. Robot. Westworld has great music, but thought-provoking it is not. (Though it pretends to be.) Just get the soundtrack, it's better than putting yourself through Westworld.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The reason I watched Legion is not because the narrative made sense.

I'm usually all about story structure and character development, but Legion was so creative and different that the lack of anything straightforward didn't bother me much. In fact, I was only really bothered when things were straightforward.

From a pure critical analysis perspective I'm kind of failing here because I don't think I'm doing a very good job of elucidating just what it was that I found so good about the show. But it was different, it had a unique voice, and it was playful and experimental and while niche, I think it will prove to be a touchstone for future works. I don't know what it will be or when it will happen, but there's going to be some big TV or movie scene or element that will be embraced by popular culture, and we'll be able to say "You know what show did that first? Legion."