Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't know what I was expecting, but a dance-off wasn't it. That said, :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I didn't pick up on that, and I kind of disagree. The first scene of the episode seems to implicate that the shadow king is being manipulated/imprisoned by someone else (the guy with sunglasses in the Paris office who may or may not be the bald guy with the symbol on his forehead in the nightclub), whose agenda or identity we have no idea about. We're dealing with unreliable narrators and characters that are adrift in a sea of uncertainty. Why would the viewer feel any less uncertain? Maybe helping the shadow king back into his body is the less bad of two horrible options, depending on who/what the third party actor is attempting.

I've seen no indication that time travel is a factor in the series. David's either missed a year and/or was mind-wiped, that's all that's happened. I see no reason for a stable time-loop to be part of the plot, so far.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shitenshi posted:

Most good shows you can dive right in and still enjoy the hell out of them. I even got the gist of this one after jumping right in, there's this bad guy called the Shadow King and they're out to get him, give or take a bunch of weird visuals to pad out the screentime. Funny how Noah Hawley says most superhero stories are just simply getting a bad guy, and this show is exactly that once you strip it of the window dressing. This has got nothing to do with me complaining about not "getting it," I think this show is pretentious and uses a bunch of flashy visuals to disguise its needlessly slow and poorly paced storytelling.

then go watch something else that's more to your tastes. not everything has to be enjoyable to everyone. Go be happy with whatever suits your tastes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Really bummed that Melany's become a druggie/depressed & self-medicating, but at least she's got better taste than David in bongs.

If I were Cary I'd be extremely weary of experimenting on David ever again. You don't know if all of your equipment is gonna explode or if you're gonna get an irresistible urge to dance your socks off

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I can't get the dance-off tune out of my head, it's really catchy. Anyone know the name?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm glad Kerry is finally getting some lines that aren't generic "let's fight" ones, also David stop playing with fire and keep Farouk outside your drat mind you smart idiot.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

note that david had no response to Farouk changing into a hurricane - the tank just fired into the smoke uselessly and Farouk was in control of the entire encounter.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't want to be attracted to Tim Curry :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr4knvNNgtU&t=40s

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I adored the Amahl Farouk portrayal, but it kinda bugs me how this, erudite, chatty, seemingly sophisticated and murderous "gentleman" is supposed to be the same entity as the the monster from the previous season. They're so different.

Athough they're both kinda playful in a bloodthirsty kinda way.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... gonna get eaten by a grue...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't get the link between the main events and the noncebo effect at the start? Noncebo - creating physical symptoms due to social cues and are transmitted via social cues... the teeth clattering is the only "fit" but doesn't quite make sense from a narrative pov given that it's revealed that the monk induced the teeth clattering effect

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 18, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ekeog posted:

i could be wrong but - isn't it a reference to the ongoing broadcast of all the symptoms over the PA in division 3?

i thought they didn't know what was causing the plague of chattering except that it was probably something the shadow king was doing to hurt them, and that all these symptoms could be signs of his influence. instead, maybe he's not responsible at all and they're generating 'noncebo' disorders out of nothing on accident.

e: i see people on other sites talking about noncebo being the monk's fault too. i feel like the more interesting outcome is real pathologies emerging out of nothing (like the actual real-life cheerleader example), rather than a magical virus carrier psychic monk doing it all.

I think maybe the monk's doing it on purpose. The reason why is that Ptolemy was locked into a cycle that was pleasant for him, and in the flashback, once things god very bad, the fellow monks were also clapping teeth. I could see it as an attempt to get people out of his way (and out of harms way) until he could find what he needed to destroy the shadow king, and then restore the victims afterwards.

Mallory though? err, maybe she wanted to be left alone in an empty void, with no thoughts to remind her of her depression/lost-found-lost-again love?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well, no. If I'm right and clattering teeth are induced by the monk, the noncebo has to refer to something else that I am missing. If I'm wrong (which is completely possible) then the clattering teeth are the/a noncebo and are probably inadvertently spread by patient zero, the monk.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Guys, the term is "nocebo", not "noncebo".

And for an equally fascinating effect, it appears that the placebo effect still works even when the patient is aware he/she is being administered a placebo.

similarly, viewers expressed discomfort even after being informed of the nocebo effect.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

all I can think is that Syd wasn't wearing orange in that white space scene. Which may be bad, may be good, i donno with this show.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Love to watch this, a perfectly normal television episode on the network series which is definitely conventional and predictable

I thought they had too? I... don't know why now that you mention it.

I thought they always had. In fact, I'm pretty sure they did.

Right?

flatluigi posted:

I thought they'd already announced a renewal, but looking around I guess it was all in my head

I'd love another season, but at least if they are getting an extra episode to put a button on the series it's more than some other shows I've loved have gotten (RIP Pushing Daisies, you had seasons of plot ahead of you and had to sum up everything in five minutes tacked onto what you'd already filmed as just a season finale)

Have you seen or felt any brownish black goo anywhere recently?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jeezus that's cruel. I'm impressed, farouk.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I donno, "I will not be bound by your morality or demands, and gently caress you for even thinking we are equals"?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

here's my dumb theory: the monk said they tried everything to destroy Farouk's body, but it was to strong. Future-Syd otoh hand said that David bashed Farouk's skull in. This does not compute. Now, it's possible that they manage to build the weapon, and it makes the body vulnerable for a good brainbashing, or ... future-syd is the delusion, and this is all a big ploy to finally get David sufficiently motivated to uncover the drat body.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

dead comedy forums posted:

oooooooor that Farouk used Amy for a trap to get David's body through the device

without Syd knowing that it's not-David, things go fubar and she tries to use that device to make things right by telling his past self no help the Shadow King, thus causing the feedback loop

Ofurfucksake. You re right that's possible. Eff it I'm done trying to guess. P.s. time loops are the worst

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

quote:

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

gently caress this poo poo. What's a good free vpn service these days for bypassing region restrictions and the like. I'm tired of this bs. Especially since this show is available 1 day later on regional tv.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Was that the same one as the one he saw Syd in?

that was the start of the homeless timeline, I think, maybe?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wasn't that the same death that Shadow King gave to Walter/The Eye during the bolero sequence (also the effect or a similar one was used in this season of Agents of Shield)?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that was pretty neat.... what the gently caress is going on?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hotdamn. I wanted to rewatch the dance-off in episode one, and just before a jon hamm segment, Melanie does her vape drugs and the drat minotaur casually strolls across the screen. I'd completely forgotten.

edit: and he's also at the children playing just before the dance-off scene:

loving show man

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 24, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oasx posted:

I like that Kerry has found something she likes that doesn't involve punching people.

which is? I might have missed that scene. Is it cleaving people with katanas?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

So Oliver thinks Melanie's on their side, but it's not 100% clear that anyone's falling for it or that she'll be effective. Didn't she claim David was coming alone? David setting up the board might have been aware of her status and intentionally hid facets of the plan from her.

david setting up the board and repeatedly eating/shredding/burning the Shadow King flag was surprisingly entertaining.

e: waitasec, there was no john hamm scene. :tinfoil:

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 30, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

drat you David, you've ruined a perfectly good car :argh:

It occurred to me that Farouk messing with Cary/Kerry might be a blessing in disguise. By reverting who goes into the other's body, it'll give Cary a few more years as well as allowing Kerry to "catch up" with him a little. Lastly, Kerry kind of needs to learn all of the normal human stuff, like eating. And figures of speech.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

and all of the bodily good stuff, food, drink, sex, sex, alcohol, tickling, hugs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what's the storage room full of clappering teeth then? A kidney?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

unless I missed it, we still also need to figure out the memory fragments David had at the beginning of the season. We know/can surmise what happened at the nightclub, but what's the relevance of the tree-covered rooftop downtown?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gotta say, not enjoying that we seem to be going straight into closed time-loop territory. I really hope David's going to be okay :ohdear:

edit:

https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/1002623712888147968

david's not going to be fine, is he :ohdear: :ohdear:

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 6, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that one is apparently lifted straight from the comics. This shocks me not at all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Seeing Lenny and Cary casually having a chat after the combat encounter might have been the best part of the episode for me. Well okay, Lenny casually wielding a sniper rifle like it's no big thang (stored in Mary Poppins' beauty case no less) is probably the bestest part of the episode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, she could do with having a more prominent role in the show, she's currently stuck somewhere between primary cast and background character, simply because the writers haven't used her more. I hope this is changing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I can watch Amber Midthunder beat up people forever.

Wait, her name is Midthunder? That's a goddamn cool name.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm still waiting for my next dance-off by the way :mad:

(there's another danceoff right? Right? :ohdear:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm enjoying the current setup for next season. I admit I like villain protagonists, and Farouk deff. fits the bill, and david isn't a villain but certainly an antagonist. His mental instability is more problematic than Farouk's desire to be the totalitarian divine ruler of his own fiefdom, if only because of scale.

That said, I do think the portrayal for David's deterioration should have started earlier in the season and setup more, it felt like we needed another episode to make the transition less jarring.

Enjoyed it, stylish as hell with some pacing and setup problems but overall solidly entertaining. Like last season though, probably a lot more enjoyable binging than "live".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

going to try and write down my thoughts, for my own benefits.

First of all, the show could and should have abandoned the sympathetic-towards-david pov a little earlier, which is at least part of the problem that the reception is showing - people have watched this entire thing on the assumption that David is the protagonist and the person to root for, and have ignored/forgotten/disregarded the earlier warning signs that david's deteriorating. In a way that's similar to Breaking Bad - people wanted Whyte to "win", because the narrative is centered around Walter and we are conditioned to think that the central character is who to root for. Also the whole narrative is about White/David overcoming obstacles which further reinforces this assumption - you earn your happy ending/victory.

Two: involuntary admission is a thing that exists and happens. If you have demonstrated that you have a serious likelihood to cause harm to yourself or others, you can be forced into a mental health facility to help you and protect yourself and others. David crosses all the boxes that make this the proper response - he has caused harm to others due to his mental condition, he has shown himself to be delusional, and there are serious indications that he will cause greater harm in the future. End of story, the attempt at the end of the episode to shut david down and have him committed was the right call.

Having the people who David trusts also be there was also a good call because David's so unpredictable, to keep him from blowing a gasket and help persuade him to cooperate. What was AN INCREDIBLY IDIOTIC idea was to have the one person who David has displayed incredibly violent tendencies towards also be there. But it makes for a good scene and we were never going to end up with David cooperating, so might as well use this complete cock-up as the justification for plot development. And goddamn those are good sunglasses.

The way I read the season arc is that outcome was a greek tragedy, in that the one person who can stop David is also the rear end in a top hat who pushed David into this abyss in the first place, and whose personality has re-enforced most of david's problems. Don't loving talk about how nous sommes les dieux, how normal rules don't apply to mutants, and then be surprised when David starts to believe and act on that poo poo. David going off the deep end is in no small part due to Farouk egging him on. Here's what's I think is interesting though, is that I don't think Farouk is capable of not behaving the way he did. He's such an arrogant rear end in a top hat that he has to gloat, he has to be the alpha male in their interactions, further unhinging david. For someone so skilled at manipulation, he's unbelievably blind to the damage he caused in david and the consequences thereof. Which is why Farouk is still a villain. Just not the main threat. (as an aside, Farouk's entire MO is to use and discard people, for the first time (?) he is forced to deal with someone who he has to heal, something he's never cared about before).

TLDR, farouk bad, david not bad but incredibly dangerous and needs to allow mental health help, good narrative arc idea but delivery was weak. Gonna binge the next season instead for easier viewing.

double nine fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a bunch of nerds not understanding (ability to give) consent? :monocle: