Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm sure the answer is yes, but did they explain what that thing was that stole David at the end of last season, and if so who sent it and why? This show is really good but sometimes I completely lose track of what does and does not get answered.

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

Gobbeldygook posted:

I still have faith that they are going to explicitly explain the cow. The season is building towards a huge denunciation and possibly a revelation that reality has been fundamentally not as it seems. My pet theory remains that David unconsciously put the cow there, created the delusion birds, and more of this season's weirdness.

I wonder if Farouk was right that he was a "gift" since he inevitably goes insane anyway according to the comic backstory. He was keeping him sane for 30 years then he starts to lose it with the personalities right after he leaves, indicated by him talking to himself at Divison 3.

night slime
May 14, 2014

JossiRossi posted:

I think we can assume the comics mean just about nothing to the show. They really are separate entities.

I didn't mean anything specific and I don't know anything about them. But he is seen talking to himself multiple times, so...

night slime
May 14, 2014
The finale is cool

night slime
May 14, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He's the only person on Earth who might be able to stand up to David. They spent almost the entire season establishing that. :shobon:

I don't get why the shadow king is so scary if he got brutally owned by Professor X in like 2 seconds and fell into his dinner. Maybe they should go get Professor X instead.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The show seems to have gotten itself into trouble trying to frame ethical dilemmas using fake ill-defined superpowers. He spent like 2 hours doing some fake mental drill thing to a guy and he's Eichmann? I just don't find it that interesting or convincing.

Also last season there's a scene where Syd saw all those dead soldiers in the ground at division 3 and nodded her head approvingly. Now she's supposed to be concerned about it. It's like they're writing a different show now.

night slime
May 14, 2014
What was the Persian word Farouk kept calling David? Sounded like "juneim" if that helps. From the context I'm guessing it was just like when a southerner calls you "son" or "boy" so not that important but still curious.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Barreft posted:

Did anyone go back and watch the full ending? I haven't but I just felt like Farouk wasn't really there, just a projection. But if they mentioned him being there guess there goes that.

He physically reacts to the explosion but doesn't get blown back, just sort of braces himself.

The weird thing about Farouk making the comment about David being "undone by revenge" is that he spent 30 years hoping to get back at his enemy (Professor X) by loving with his kid's head. Kind of hard to take the stated motivations in the show seriously.

night slime fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 15, 2018

night slime
May 14, 2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the more i think about it the more it seems that david also put the delusion birds in other peoples' head as well considering he was working with farouk against fukuyama for the first part of the season, so david killed ptonomy also
I thought Fukyama would heal like Wolverine if someone tried to kill him. They said he's the boy who heals and then showed the surgery.

After seeing the finale, it seems like David and Syd see their dead bodies in the desert tent to signify their relationship dying in the desert. David even says "nothing good" when Syd asks what happened to "them/us" in the desert. My guess for the rewind entering the tent is that both timelines are being shown, i.e. the first and second trips to the desert.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Emerson Cod posted:

Am I the only person who heard Vermilion at the end of the credits song saying that none of this is real? We never got any resolution to Amy dreaming that she was Vermilion, I think that a big chunk of this season or possibly all of it is part of some sort of simulation. Plus we had that flashback at the beginning saying that this was Chapter 10 again, 3 years later. I'm not saying that none of the events count, but there is a lot of evidence that what we've seen isn't what's actually happened.

The only voice I'm hearing in the credits is male.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Those are the song lyrics to Cornflake Girl by Lenny Busker

night slime
May 14, 2014
Farouk wanted his son to have a mutant gf since hes into eugenics

night slime
May 14, 2014
Reddit is bizarre https://www.reddit.com/r/LegionFX/comments/8r6mac/visual_clues_to_shadowkings_control_over_everyone/

night slime
May 14, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The most important connection in this season that no one is making:

Farouk says he tried to make David love him when he was in his head

+

Farouk sends a mouse to deliver a message to Syd

=

In the Dead-End-Job David timeline, Farouk sent David a mouse to keep his lil buddy entertained at his desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WitVPugX3q0

I thought he sniffed glue to do that.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Rewatching the first season and when David is asked by his shrink what the stars said, it shows a memory flash of two people, one who seemingly looks bald. Hmm

https://imgur.com/a/b42l3zw

night slime
May 14, 2014
Season 3 is just David going on Reddit to figure out why he didn't do anything wrong

night slime
May 14, 2014
You would be pretty weird to spend all your time with a baby and not grow attached. Hes basically the creepy uncle

night slime
May 14, 2014
In the finale battle Farouk is wearing a red tie, and David is wearing a red shirt with a green jacket. He can take off the jacket...

night slime
May 14, 2014

McDragon posted:

And it's not all dinosaurs and sharks and planes. David bringing out a Cthulhu and then Farouk busting out a Syd might not be the most flashy bit but it's definitely effective.

I thought it was cool that he got aggressive and brought out the creepy monster and finally started winning, then got sidetracked by the clever distraction a second later. "It's a muscle, the big grey meat. You gotta work it out, get it stronger." It's such a cool way to portray mind battles.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

Even if you did, good luck finding them.

Grey Ant Composite, sepia 2014 $3-400. But you can't find them. I looked.

I contacted them through the website about the show and the glasses and they said they're working on bringing that color back!! Maybe they just said it to shut me up but whatever.

night slime
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/1125437575840145408

Cool season 3 poster. The account's hinting at a trailer soon.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Second time travel scene of David leading Switch through the hallway kinda reminded me of the first season with the escape from Division 3. Kind of messed up that David takes like 30 seconds to kill the Division 3 guy capturing Switch.

https://twitter.com/legionfx/status/1143354499957850113

I won one. :colbert:

night slime
May 14, 2014
I'm guessing the blue robot-like things at the end of the episode are the monsters.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I don't think Fukyama can die but he did seem to not enjoy what he was doing from what I can remember of his dialogue from last season. They seem to find David on the monitor as soon as Ptonomy takes over so maybe he was made the successor, if his brain can do something Fukyama's can't. David's last memory of Division 3 would be about the creepy basket head guys trying to kill him so it makes sense he would make the pamphlet stuff about that.

night slime
May 14, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about the little sphere thing. Didn'y Cary say "wait I built this"; which makes me think it was built by the Cary that's at David's cult, sent back in time by switch to, change David somehow? Or maybe bring past David to meet with current David.

I really hate they threw in that "its not Shi'iar" still, because I know it was an easter egg for X-men fans, but it suggests a massive, huge thing that will never be followed up on.

Isn't Professor X involved with the Shi'iar or something? They could still bring it up.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Navid Negahban (Farouk) was in Aladdin so maybe he'll be getting bigger roles soon. He also seems like a down to earth guy on Instagram.

I kinda wish the DVDs has Hawley commentary cause there seems to be a lot of stuff he could explain away about the series.

night slime
May 14, 2014

ShakeZula posted:

The big house is all a mental construct/inside Gabrielle's mind, right? That was the distinct impression I got, but baby David actually being there for Farouk to possess complicates that. In the real world did she have a baby in the mental hospital and then go catatonic again after the events of this episode, leading Xavier to give David up?

I'm very confused.

Xavier usually has a big house or mansion or whatever in his depictions. The strange door she saw out front was the time travel door. My guess is Farouk started loving with the bedroom walls and the baby's face to make her catatonic, since it's red when she screams, the same red recurrent throughout the series and also the red Xavier sees. David stepped in and finished his work for him by accident. Then she's probably dead/catatonic and I'm guessing he gives David up from depression or something.

Pretty sure that was Switch's dad on the TV. Maybe he has time travel powers too. If you listen to what he's saying he sounds like he's giving some sort of warning about something coming.

Codependent Poster posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it all happened.

I missed why she was in the institution in the first place.

Concentration camp

night slime fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 9, 2019

night slime
May 14, 2014

hatelull posted:

It's been a minute, but don't we get a glimpse of an older "Charles" in the first season complete with wheelchair as seen from young David's perspective? At that point he's already been hijacked by Farouk and dealing with World's Angriest Boy trauma. Is that the point where Charles turns him over to foster parents?

No, I think you just see the wheelchair in that scene with David talking to himself while stuck in a box.

I thought the rippling for Professor X's telepathy was interesting because he's obviously more powerful than both Farouk and David in that respect, and that visual effect being from just his mind seems cool in that context.

The episode seems to imply David caused himself to be put up for adoption, and also showed the way time travel works for the show. Those seem like story progression/reveals.

night slime fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 9, 2019

night slime
May 14, 2014
When I was a kid I thought Xavier was weird as poo poo cause there was this Ultimate X-Men panel that implied he was keeping Mystique tranformed as a pet cat. I read a bit ago that it ended up being just the cat's name.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I think the idea of toying with character origins is cool but I do remember always being more interested in New X-Men at the time. I remember thinking the Ultimate Millar comics were supposed to be satire because Captain America was such an rear end in a top hat, then I read about Mark Millar as an adult and apparently it was sincere.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I liked the hospital episode a lot. I rewatched the first episode to look for parallels and noticed some interesting ones. There were obvious ones like cherry pie, sketching, etc, but there was this scene I didn't even remember where David is wheeled around in a catatonic state after taking his medicine. The audio begins distorting and his eyes are slits, then Syd comes into view and he jumps out of his chair, mirroring how Gabrielle suddenly is at the window after being "healed" by Charles.

Some other subtle ones are the scene with Charles and Gabrielle looking out the window, similar to the one where Syd and David do the kissing illusion thing. They both use their powers to get out of the hospital, with David's "escape" being accidental and tragic from killing someone, while Xavier's is intentional and relatively benign. David is in the mental hospital because he attempted suicide, while Xavier is in it because he made a person commit suicide, and I think "kill yourself" is thought by both characters in dialogue. Gabrielle is in the hospital and has "no one" because of the concentration camps, while Syd is loosely in a similar predicament because of her isolating mutant power.

By the end of each episode, someone else's powers have assisted David "kill" someone by accident. Lenny is killed by the Syd body switch and only continues to exist as a consciousness, and Gabrielle is catatonic now from Switch traveling in time. Both Charles and David are arguably better off before they decide to go off to meet other mutants, maybe David less clearly so.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Chalks posted:

Such a good monster concept, in a show where the main characters are basically gods it takes real skill to have something actually scary happening

I thought about that too and how it was like ten times more exciting than the X-Men movies where every threat is conceived to have Professor X be useless in assisting it because he's dead/powerless/comatose/under a delusion.

night slime
May 14, 2014

ex post facho posted:

so did switch drop farouk into no-time? it seems like he was able to escape from that fairly easily lsst episode, so im not sure what thats gonna do

In the scene he teleported some watch thing onto Farouk's hand, I guess to keep him there. David's getting pretty good at owning his dad

night slime
May 14, 2014

ashpanash posted:

Or, alternately, the guy controlling this whole thing from the getgo

Noticed on the intro of the first episode the words "bedtime is here" display on the TV monitor showing an Indian-head test pattern. In the time travel episode a guy appears on the TV that looks similar to Switch's dad but younger and he says "bedtime is here" in between a bunch of ominious foreboding stuff about doors and something (Farouk?) being underneath a pillow.

night slime
May 14, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

for what its worth i cant think of any examples of toxic masculinity displayed by david......hes very sensitive and emotional. not a lot of alpha posturing from this broken boy. i dont think hes worried at all about his perceived manliness

I don't know that it's toxic masculinity per se, but when he goes into the spiels about "fixing" everything it's somewhat reminiscent of a domestic abuser saying they'll change after an assault and essentially forgoing responsibility. Maybe that is what people are homing in on.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Testicle Masochist posted:

When did Freud start being taken seriously again? He's been discredited for years.

Great response

night slime
May 14, 2014
https://imgur.com/a/PzBXhFP Rewatching random episodes cause some of S2 is kind of a drag and noticed this.

night slime
May 14, 2014

rapeface posted:

Those "exceptional conditions" don't exist in a vacuum, you cannot look at them outside of a deliberate construction. And there's nothing that suggests that David believes his actions aren't affecting a real world. Even If he did think that, what's the purpose behind such a construction?

Suppose you take the view that David believes the current world he acts within isn't real because he can time travel. We, the audience, are told it is real (within the fiction) and that it does matter. We are informed this by the narrative structure, and we are told outright by Syd.

He tells both Syd and Switch that it doesn't matter he killed people since he gets a do-over. Kinda more than "nothing to suggest" I think.

night slime
May 14, 2014

DaveKap posted:

Actually, since some of ya'll are rewatching older episodes, maybe you can help me out. What was the point of transforming David's sister? What was the point of the Minotuar's existence in the cave? I'm still hopeful we get an answer about that pokeball in the final episodes.

I don't know what the point of David's sister was. Also it's kinda weird since if that weapon can reproduce someone from their DNA (he takes a piece of the Lenny corpse from the grave to do it) that why doesn't Farouk just sacrifice some random stranger and clone himself so he can stop David.

I take the cave to be some sort of place that they trapped evil mutants in, like the crazy Legion version of the Raft since it's some desolate place that makes everyone (the monks) go insane from being near it and has other weird properties. The monk makes a reference to agreeing to take the body of Farouk and it being a mistake. The Minotaur had some sort of power-dampening thing that Melanie Farouk removes. I'm guessing the Minotaur did some bad poo poo and Professor X or someone alley-ooped him into the cave next to Farouk. Melanie Farouk also addresses him in Farsi, so it's possible the two even knew each other in their previous lives.

DaveKap posted:

In a way, it's brilliant. The show has exploited the viewer in the same way David may have exploited Syd. That's some solid immersion! In another way, that's how you lose enough viewers to have to cut your show down to a 3-season stint. (Was it always supposed to be 3 seasons? I actually don't know.)

I don't think FX really cares about ratings that much. They have stuff like The Americans that never gets many people watching it and it goes on for multiple seasons because they know it's good. I think I read an interview with Hawley where he said it was more a nice creative sandbox place than working at the parent network with Bones. I guess that's how you get Chris Rock for something like Fargo where the audience hovers around 1 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So the subplot was basicallyOliver and Melanie are stuck in the astral plane, they protect and nurture a Syd who was knocked down to studs by the Legion. He fights a malevolent entity on the plane but doesn't kill him and Syd puts herself back together on the good fight narrative?

I don't get why Melanie was happy about the fantasy ending at the end.

Melanie is happy because the lesson is over and they can go back to their normal (lol) life in the ice cube, now that they're done helping Syd.

Jemaine did not write the rap, surprisingly. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/legion-rap-battle-jemaine-clement-season-3-episode-6-1202161713/

quote:

Enter the rap battle: Hawley wrote the lyrics for each character himself, which started as a placeholder so anyone reading the script would understand what’s happening, but he soon built them into savvy, shifting lyrics that both actors ended up keeping.

“I assumed [Jemaine] might say, ‘Oh, I don’t want to do that,'” Hawley said. “But he did it, happily, and had no real complaints. I said if you want to re-write this at all, feel free. He changed very little, we filmed it, and it’s one of my favorite things ever.”

“Having written many televised songs, there was a different approach to [this one],” Clement said. “I don’t really take myself seriously as a musician — definitely not as a rapper — so Jason and I were both a little nervous about it. But when we came to film it, it felt a lot better than it did reading it. It was really fun. We had a day of doing that scene, and I didn’t get bored with it at all. I enjoyed it every time.”