Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Affi posted:

No I agree my big question was “did he make her fall in love with him to start with?”
The writing seemed really, REALLY bad when Syd was up against Melanie halfway though the season and she starts going off on how she's going after "My Maaaaan"...

Only for David to drop the same phrasing when he's confronted by her. It's too weird to be a coincidence, I hope.

I missed S1's trippiness, which was more in service of David's fractured self.
The more traditional plot (must track down and defeat evil before bad thing) didn't quite lend itself for the crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Corte posted:

I appreciate your perspective and that's definitely a better way to look at it but I'm pretty sure they specifically state at some point that David can't be saved.
Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread but Hulu *just* put S3 up on, like, Monday morning so I went and got a chance to finish the series out.

From a very certain perspective, no, the David that we know can't be saved. That's kind of what this whole season was about -- he's doing that obsessive perseveration thing that accompanies traumatic breakups and comes to the conclusion that he can Fix This if he just goes back and gives things a nudge.

It's like "if I had picked up the groceries that day, she wouldn't have been stressed, we wouldn't have fought, I wouldn't have blacked out drunk and..."

But that's a cop-out. He's still the David that used his power in a really creepy way to force/persuade Syd. That still happens, that's still a part of who he is. I had some really complicated feelings at the beginning of S3 because I didn't want the show to shy away from the ramifications of that action, or of his running away with Lenny as a result. And overall, I think they did quite well with it. Every season's been concerned with how David deals with his baggage. The first season was the ambiguity between his power and his disease, along with Farouk's influence. Second was harnessing his abilities, growing into his own, but being held back because he was just covering his faults with power leading to major fuckups and not having the capability to accept that he hosed up. The third really became a question of how you fix something and make it go away -- and you can't, you just have to become a different person. I like that there were big questions about the weirdo cult he had created at the onset, how he was using this facade to force himself to be calm and collected and at peace when he was still, fundamentally, trying desperately to find a way to fix everything.

Farouk's unexpected growth at the end was a pretty good touch. He doesn't slay the monster or banish it, but transforms it.

I still think the tonal shifts between seasons was something rough, and the series doesn't quite capture that essence of "Is this in my head, or is this a result of my power" that S1 brought, but it's definitely a great watch. Mostly, I think, because it doesn't feel like it was tampered with too much to meet a studio or network expectation.