Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Artillery please

Also happy to serve as a division/brigade/staff officer on the side, I just like the big guns.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 6, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I could easily see control of the town expanding our deployment zone out to the CC. I don't think we need to station a permanent garrison, but it should make a good base of movement while we advance on the stream.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Those banners are great, gonna whip something up for myself when I get a chance.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tevery Best posted:

Or you might just tell me what you want me to put on it to save yourself the effort (and also to make sure they are Precisely Standardised).

I like image editing, and some puttering around with Photoshop is something I'm keen on for a variety of RL reasons. Thanks though! If you let me know what font you used, I will do my best to ensure Precise Standardization, the cornerstone of German Efficiency.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

My immediate efforts. Tevery you're still more than welcome to make one if you want, as long as it represents my fervent belief in artillery as the Queen of Battle. As mentioned I'll try to get to some of the requested number crunching so that I can be of use before the big guns show up.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tevery Best posted:

Okay, but for obvious reasons staffers are at the very end of the priority totem pole.

I used a variety of fonts, but I recommend keeping to a 800x268 size as a standard. This way everyone has the same banner size, which is pleasing to the eye.

Agreed, which is why I made sure to copy your dimensions! I'll play around with mine some more tomorrow.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Flesnolk posted:

If he was ever a seer at all.

The ethical thing to do would probably be to surrender the battle, but since the Kaiser would have us all shot, we should maybe keep going.

I assume he meant this post

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Waiting for adjudication is an entirely different experience as a player.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I can't tell if my thoughts about not charging were correct, or if our atrocious display of MG gunnery meant wed have been in trouble any which way. In short, welp.

Edit: For slightly more content, this is close to our worst case scenario - mass casualties, repulsed from the first objective, and now the British have the advantage of cover and nothing but time to delay. Thoughts?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 15, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Agreed, we need more men and we need them now. If we do break stethoscope, my best case scenario is that we've seen everything the Allies have to offer at the moment - one full brigade of cavalry, two AC detachments, and the engineers we now see fortifying the ford. As such a forced March might get us back on track for daybreak.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I say we absolutely should go for it, seems our best chance to advance before both teams get their infantry reinforcements and this becomes a real slugfest.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Will these trenches be considered "in the road" enough to get the CC bonus?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
After all that worrying about the stream as a defensive barrier we cross almost unopposed and are now in a position to cross in force. Clear the wire, move up the men, bring on the artillery (at last)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'd love for 3rd if possible to get into a position where they could see into the Vallee and the Central Road, especially if the bulk of them can remain hidden in the forest to do so. Would give us ample warning of oncoming reinforcements in the center and south of the map, which would then information whether we choose to hit the center or keep pushing West.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Question for Trin

A very close reading of the map suggests that the Bois de Blob extends just barely into the zone granting observation of the Vallee (and vice versa, but the forest would negate.) Valid interpretation, or overly hopeful reading? Would be an ideal place for entrenchment as an OP.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The big guns! :getin:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

cokerpilot posted:

I kind of feel bad for those engineers we just gunned down there.

They didn't have their visas, the territory of the Empire is inviolate.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

"oystertoadfish" posted:

I believe we've been told that indirect arty has a chance of destroying erections

Disagree.

But I agree, I'm not keen to try to clear wire with my guns. On my way home now, will draft up some barrage plans.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

steinrokkan posted:

So, first, there are no engineers attached to the incoming division? None at all?

Second, I assume that since we are on the move everywhere, there's no need for engineering projects right now.

Tear up the wire on the southern bridge?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Alternate suggestion for engineers:

Trin has confirmed that forces in the marked position will be able to spot into the Valley while maintaining the advantages of forest cover. A trenchline there would give us a commanding view of approaching forces from that direction, to be sure, while maintaining our own cover.

Also would be great to have 3rd Brigade move up.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
For reference, this is what 12 50px squares looks like on the map.

(I'm using the full size map, please correct me if wrong Trin)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 21, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Saros posted:

Pretty please drop a couple of those on the northern road intersection with the forest.

Somewhat out of range by my reckoning

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Fathis Munk posted:

Maybe these nerds could enter the peeking spot in Bois de Blob to have a look into the valley.

Encouraging this - as is they're on full display for anyone in the valley. Maybe the engineers can clear the wire from their way, if there isn't anything more pressing.

I'd much rather have one dead brigade and warning of allied movements in the south than to give up the Bois de Blob entirely, as some people seem to be suggesting? Unsure.

For my own part, my only currently planned fire zone is as posted above. I'm not keen to spend more than a mission or two on it given our total lack of intelligence and limited supplies, but I suppose that's what supporting fire is for.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 22, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Preliminary Artillery Orders

Only change to standing orders: Support Brigade spotting the most enemies

Setup position roughly here, pink dot was too far back. The important thing is to be ready to fire at 1130 (Turn 56), so stop in place and unlimber after moving on Turn 54 (1030)

Turn 55 - 1130

Bombardment

Turn 56 - 1200

If we're not attacking the northern road, I'd prefer to concentrate fire on where we will. Open to possibly splitting the bombardment further to the left along the southern tree line.

Edit: Trin clarified the timing, as the turn ends before our charge I'm more open to some misdirection in terms of targets. I'll be out for a good chunk of the day but will have forums access.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 23, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Posting for the thread, but I'm currently operating under the assumption the British would have set up their defensive emplacements in the north to be in a position to cover the fords, so relatively far foward. As discussed in Roll20, I'll work up a checkerboard that covers a bit further into the forest, 4 inches isn't all that much more than what is currently covered if my measurements are right.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

oystertoadfish posted:

from my selfish perspective i would really love for the artillery fire to really gently caress up any MGs/AH set up at the SE corner of the FdE, so as to cover the ford i'm going to have to cross

As is that corner is getting pasted, will ensure it remains so in any alterations.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Flesnolk posted:

I'd still like you to put at least a little fire on that road leading to ford A, at the FdE edge. Saros and I wanted artillery fire there because he thought the British might put any of their ACs that survived the fighting at Steth in places like that. Or just in case of pickets in general.

If you so order, I'll include it in my revised plans when I get home.

Nthing my concerns that we will have no intelligence on the ground we intend to cross and attack until the event itself, which if the enemy takes the morning to quickmarch reinforcements could be a fatal mistake.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 22, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Flesnolk posted:

I understand your concerns, but I'm unsure what to do to address them without rewriting the plan.

My thought was that 3rd Brigade could move slightly, as they're currently doing nothing until 1130 anyway. Otherwise guess we're hoping for the best!

At the very least that brigade of infantry going south should really be taking up positions in the forest instead of vulnerably sitting on the valleys ede.

I can take a different/additional command if absolutely required but RL is not very conducive to doing so at the moment.

Edit: Perhaps a retask of the scout plane?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 23, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Saros posted:

Stein I would appreciate an engineer to do wirecutting following behind​ 2bde over the central bridge so we can bring up our late arriving infantry much faster.

Seconding, as that's the likely route my artillery will take when we eventually move up.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh hey, exactly the direction that I was warning about. Neato.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yeah, 67/68 Inf should absolutely not be marching off to the Vallee at this point. Other than that, I think we're probably not going to get a better chance to attack the FDE, so tally ho.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
On mobile, but iirc I can only hit the northern border of BdB from my current artillery position.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

mossyfisk posted:

Just to be clear, farms provide no cover and exist solely as a barbed wire source.

trin posted:

A company is in Cover when it is stationary in a Farm

Did that get changed?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Added Space posted:

Would someone pretty please put up artillery orders? Thank you. I'd put up emergency orders but I have to go to a wedding.

Artillery Orders

Add an extra turn onto the second bombardment mission, then limber and move to the Tailis Douche trenches. Unlimber once in place.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 25, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Trin am I unlimbered? Plenty of targets now, at the least, especially if they haven't moved their arty park.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

quote:

(Note: their supplementary order was technically invalid because there was no arrow, no map, and no attempt to depict their finishing position, but I let them move anyway.)

I'm sorry, I could have sworn you had mentioned at some point that you only needed a map/images if I wanted a specific position for their end position - as is, I just wanted them in the trenches, so mission accomplished. I might be confusing this with any of the other map based wargames I was in/spectating lately. Will be sure to include clear images going forward.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

steinrokkan posted:

At what point was it decided to take away loving artillery cover from the main force??????? Making the same mistakes again and again!

The point where people repeatedly told me to move after 3 rounds due to avoid being spotted/repercussions thereof? If I had known then the amount of resistance we'd be immediately facing, I wouldn't have done it. A failure of intelligence.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

steinrokkan posted:

I wasn't able to pay that much attention, but the last coherent plan I remember reading said we would have five brigades or so attacking in the north with fully dedicated artillery, instead of this loving crippled nonsense that can't even be called a proper attack in good conscience (just like in the last game we attacked with but a fraction of what was possible and also got defeated in detail by better positioned enemy capable of outmaneuvering our troops slowly trickling in). I'm not blaming the commander of the autonomous artillery, it's obvious that you weren't the one making shots, not being one to decide on troop movements.

Jesus Christ, why not just send one brigade to each ford and let them march up and down in parade uniforms to give the British a proper reason to laugh at us.

We probably should have reconsidered the plan after the British crashed the party in the south, but alot of people (myself included) hopped aboard the "Attack the North ASAP" plan, without figuring out how the situation had changed. Not knowing about the trenches in the middle was a killer though.

As is, I think we need a serious reconsideration of the current battlefield situation and plan from High Command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

tatankatonk posted:

So Flesnolk wants to order a general surrender. I think that this 1) goes against the sentiment of the majority of the rest of the players 2) kind of throws away a lot of the work Trin put into this scenario, even if he allows the Corps Command to unilaterally end the game considering 1.

Given all that, I'm happy to offer myself as a replacement for Corps Command. I played in Grey Hunter's last LP of this, but I also know that Corps Command is less about micromanaging and more about keeping morale up and coming up with a general plan. I think I'd be pretty good at both! :) And I think some fresh blood would do us some good.

No objections to this on my end, I'd certainly like to keep going.

• Locked thread