Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LLCoolJD posted:

The dude is the greatest Brood War player of all time, and he has maintained a pretty high standard even into his mid-20s. In comparison, I saw the great Bisu build a scout a few months ago.

wait, what's the average age for these players? Maybe I don't want to hear and be depressed that guys my age have been dominating a scene since they were teenagers :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think that was one of the most unsatisfying match ups I have seen in the recent ASL tournaments. It just felt like a foregone conclusion maybe a third of the way through game 2

Too bad

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the 3/4 match was more entertaining than the final, I thought. Those were some good matches whereas this final was kind of boring in comparison.

Did we have a lot of PvP this tournament? I'm having trouble recalling over the past couple months and if it was during seeding then I imagine a lot of those matches were over in under 10 minutes

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

This might seem like a weird thing to look for but are any of these tournaments ever re-uploaded without any commentary? As much as I enjoy hearing English and Korean commentators freak the gently caress out over Brood War, I kind of want to watch some of the tighter matches without that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that would require Flash not consistently being 1 step ahead and being unrelenting in pressing Mini. Honestly, game 2 seemed to be the one where Mini actually stood a chance to win a match and he just couldn't out micro Flash

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Zillions magazine posted:

I'm trying to avoid spoilers about this series but re game 1: i'm so glad valkyries are being used, i was hoping that the remaster (which notably fixed the valkyrie bug) would allow pros to actively take advantage of them in tvz

I recall that someone did that when they made the switch to the remaster but the biggest thing was seeing burrow used. loving BURROW?! And it won him the series, like goddamn this is the good poo poo :allears:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh man that Larva v. Sharp series that was some good poo poo, all 5 of the games. I was wondering if someone was gonna try some battlecruisers this year.

Out of curiosity, are ghosts at all viable in competitive BW?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah what the gently caress was that series? Having never watched any competitive Starcraft until...this decade is this what the game looked like back in ye olden days of the early 00s?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

goddamn that was a great final :flashfap:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

out of curiosity does this mean burrow is viable now?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

gotta say that was kind of a disappointing turn out for Zerg when compared to ASL, then again this isn't the quarters yet so there is still hope

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

this year it feels like his partners have way more knowledge on BW strats but he still seems to dominate the commentary, which is a huge detriment for the watchers because he gets a lot of calls wrong. He could certainly do well to not do that and instead let his partners do some more talking to explain strategies and such

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Elyv posted:

Ro8 d1

I'm only part way through game 1 but holy poo poo nukes I've literally never seen nukes in pro starcraft

say what you will about some of the players in KSL but I've now gotten my chance to see every unit combination. Except Scouts, but Scouts suck always

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sort of reminds me of Larva's recent manner hatch

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

2019 is starting off with a bang with those matches, a good opening set

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

there have been a lot of "gently caress it, let's see if this will work" strategies so far

I'm actually enjoying it, probably because at least players have the decency to gg when they know their strategy didn't work, unlike that one guy in KSL that would drag matches out until he was completely beaten

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I just realised that there are not a lot of Terran going forward, but maybe I just don't know how to read the matches, am I seeing that right that Group C has a TvT in it?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

what the heck happened in the loser's match today?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

dang, reavers just punked on the zerg today

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so is this the best we are going to see of Larva? or is he just showing what he needs to work on for the next tournament?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

man Protoss seems to just be clowning on Zerg as of late what gives?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh man that game with the screwy barracks and factory placement right at the start. That was a great match

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hot drat that was a great series but I am going to be honest and say that I hope we don't get a PvP final, because those just don't seem to be very interesting to watch in comparison

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wasn't Last in the finals last year, too? he's doing pretty well for himself

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Where do you go to find the schedule for these tournaments?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

man the matches have been pretty onesided so far

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

what's gonna happen in the meta now? I remember Protoss being stupidly dominant against Zerg because Corsairs are so easy to produce and Zerg doesn't seem to have a decent counter to it that doesn't leave them exposed elsewhere.

Like, I think it's cool to see how dominant one race can be but at the same time doesn't anyone else find it kind of boring that we have a final four that is all Protoss?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Elyv posted:

Protoss being dominant against Zerg is a new thing, the traditional triangle is T > Z > P >= T

well I guess that's what I mean, looking through previous KSL and ASL (at least since they re-surged about 3 years ago) I remember matches being a lot more even keeled so what happened here, did people just decide to :effort: out of the tournament or something?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

finally caught up with the final match, yeah it was interesting to watch but my heart wasn't in it as much as it was for the Carbot exhibition match. Can we get that as a skin or something for offline play? I want to go through the campaign with those now :allears:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well that's what I get for skipping right to the games when I'm watching these VODs

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That and that seems like a waste of time and resources, no? Surely there are better things to do than just rebuild an Asimilator.

Also I like Cadenzi, mainly because it's nice to have the english casting team not be a huge sausage fest. She's got plenty of time to get better and realise she can talk with more volume but for now just having a female voice on the team is nice

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Now that the Cartooned mod is out, I kind of want to see, like, the qualifier matches or something played with that mod

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah the building cover for the initial Zerg rushes seemed like an innovation. Incidentally, I didn't realise until this ASL that Spawn Broodling could be cast on Terran mech units, I always thought they could only be cast on bio units. Thanks for teaching me something new ASL :)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

These guys aren't leaving permanently, right? I presume military service is just 1 to 2 years depending on your branch. But I suppose players like Flash may be on their way out of the tournament scene due to health.

I don't mind that, as cool as the past 8 seasons of ASL have been, I'm somewhat more interested in players we see in KSL, I like seeing new people show up

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

When I was young and BW a couple years old I asked a cousin about how you would choose a race, their advantages, etc. and he told me that Protoss is good for beginners, Zerg is more advanced, and Terran is the hardest race to master.

Flash just makes everything look so easy

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

woof, this is going to be a rough time for Zerg enthusiasts going forward

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

while they may not have been eliminated, the games have not been fun to watch

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

looks like it could be Zeratul, or just a generic Dark Templar

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Has there been any news on if ASL is going to stop because of COVID-19?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Goddamn those were some good matches today

Brain was on FIRE and Choma did really well too