Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i bought amd stock when it was $3 and sold it at $5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

meanwhile intel has this bullshit going on with the C2000 series atom: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/07/intel_atom_failures_go_back_18_months/

*glances at 20-month old DS415+* gently caress

Lol at all the cisco enterprise dickheads having a cry about it. this bad boy is Latvian powered

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i got a 8320 plus motherboard for $50 a while back and i only had to update the bios so the onboard nic would work in linux. it 's better than the q6600 it replaced. the weak link now is the laptop hard drive that holds the os. i should figure out how to move the non essential for boot crap to the big zfs fs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol at yahoo finance not showing the name of the symbol anywhere on the page

he's scrolled down

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it runs cooler than the q6600. people seem to think that the tdp is what it runs at all the time

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cant they just double the bits

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

At $370 the cheapest 8C/16T is still the most attractive out of them all. It's the 4C variants that are disappointingly priced since you can get the Intel equivalent for only $100 more for the past 6 years.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think you can do videos with gpus. thats what twitch streamers use

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i want a cool new feature or else intel will have to be happy with me buying a new $200ish i5 every 10 years it looks like.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

why are they overclocking the pcie bus what game has that as a bottleneck?

bclk * multiplier = cpu frequency

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The performance per $ really loving drops off a cliff past a certain point. Who buys those $1500+ CPUs?

people with jobs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

a $350 intel will last like 10 years. a $1500 one will last like...10 years

i thought this was an interesting amd chart

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

infernal machines posted:

if you really want to know who's buying $1500 core branded cpus, it's middle aged men with no real hobbies who sometimes play video games on easy and like to think they have the latest and greatest of everything

overwatch enthusiasts

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

those charts are terrible

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i assume "it's cooler" means "we compared a 65w part with a 130w part" and "its faster" means "we overclocked it"

i wonder how much gizmodo got paid to post amd's article

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

so increase the multiplier like a sane person

it was big on locked intel ones because that was the only way you could overclock them, although i think they took it back and i read again that they gave it back so who knows. but yeah it's stupid on the amds when their entire range of chips is unlocked

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i want to see the world burn, but it turns out all i can really control is the bus clock

that's how hitler got started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think anything with crystal well is 2 dies on the pcb

• Locked thread