Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

intel keeps cramming more cores in to their xeons and thats all I care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Raere posted:

it would be cool to have 8 cores for a home server at reasonable price

get one of the expensive compute sticks, slap a usb ethernet dongle on it, and mount vhds to your nas over smb

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hifi posted:

it runs cooler than the q6600. people seem to think that the tdp is what it runs at all the time

well yeah obviously you set the power profile to MAXXXIMUM PERFORMANCE and disable all the thermal management settings

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

it will be hardware encoders on the gpu, same as 264.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

OH NO NOT YOUR ANIMES

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

both frames are now both AMD and Intel, at the same time, yet neither. Quantum computing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

On the flip-side, only a handful of tools in our work CAD software are multithreaded and they're all the esoteric new ones that have been added in the last few years. Your basic everyday tools are still single-thread because they're the oldest and I imagine the codebase behind it all makes Excel look like a paragon of excellence.

It sure is great watching it peg my 8-core workstation at 12.5% processor use while doing anything. :sigh:

Lol you can turn on threading through some obscure option flag but it will gently caress up layer composition I hate autodesk so much

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Breakfast All Day posted:

finally xfi for my pci

why are they overclocking the pcie bus what game has that as a bottleneck?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Fabricated posted:

we use a lot of autodesk poo poo at the university I work at but i have yet to hear of any workplace that actually uses it

like they're always Creo with Windchill, or NX with TeamCenter, and/or solidworks, and Mastercam

or CATIA or w/e

there a specific industry that actually uses autodesk products other than Maya??

uhh... construction I guess? because that's what we use. everything gets drafted and delivered in cad though we're now also requiring BIM models in revit (another autodesk shitpile, slightly less bad)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hifi posted:

bclk * multiplier = cpu frequency

so increase the multiplier like a sane person

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

High end xeons have the same problem where the 12+ core packages are basically two 6 or 8 core packages glued together with a high speed crossbar. Software needs to be numa aware and hardware needs to present each set of cores as their own node to know not to jump the crossbar if possible or put latency insensitive things across it. It's probably ok for desktop workloads at the moment though a 4 and 4 core design is pathetic by todays standards and is going to cause a lot of headaches for programmers to optimize for.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as far as i know all intel x86 chips are 1 die in 1 package. even the monster 22 core E5s are on a single gigantic chip.

the main difference between e5 and e7 is how many qpi links you've got, which determines the possible topologies to link sockets together

Nope, they call it cluster-on-die. Intel broke out the glue gun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's a bit more complicated than that. The caches might be unified but there are four memory controllers and each core is only able to directly address two at a time. The crossbar provides the interconnect from the two halves of the processor with the two sets of memory controllers. Hitting the crossbar incurs a latency and potential bandwidth bottleneck so CoD defines the numa domains so the memory manager can attempt to avoid that when possible for everything except extremely large VMs or large/parallel workloads. I don't believe it splits L3.

• Locked thread