Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Orb and 8-Ball should team together with the entire story predicated on the ending where 8-Ball turns on him and strikes him right in in the head with the cue and delivers a really terrible pool pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hup posted:

Does he drop magic 8-ball lines constantly?

Pool puns seem to be his thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HitTheTargets posted:

Oh God, he has themed minions. Why do I like this fucker?

Because he's amazing?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 28: Micromax

Nothing like using your powers to give yourself a full head of hair and then immediately putting a helmet on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 29: Thunderstrike

The greatest of all superheroes maybe? Eric Masterson is obviously the best Thor ever that wasn't a frog or alien horse looking dude. I'm sure there's no argument on that. The only thing that would have made Thunderstrike better was if he had the little mask like he did when was Thor. The same one Jane has now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 30: Bird-Man

I have no idea who this is. I've read these handbooks before years ago and I don't even remember this entry at all. I never knew this character even existed until right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And there came a day unlike any other, when Earth's lamest animal heroes were revealed to the world! On that day the Ani-Men were killed!

Day 31: The Ani-Men (Ape-Man, Cat-Man, Frog-Man)

Brought to you by... wait... Wally Wood? Are you serious? Oh Wally, what have you done?

Also the Frog is French. Because of course he is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 32: Doughboy

Created by Arnim Zola, which is unsurprising.

"His body resembles dough both in appearance and in consistency."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doughboy was also in an episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

https://streamable.com/t23g8

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 33: Adam Warlock, Kismet, Magus, & Goddess

Today we'll just lump these all together as they're all related. I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with Adam Warlock. Well Kismet is his female counterpart, also known as Her or Ayesha. She's also in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy sequel. Magus and Goddess are parts of Adam Warlock. They were the villains in Infinity War and Infinity Crusade. When Adam Warlock took the Infinity Gauntlet from Nebula in order to rule as a more pragmatic God he shed the good and evil parts of his psyche. Unfortunately those halves manifested their own personas. Magus represents the evil parts and Goddess the good. Magus also was a major part of the early Adam Warlock stories from Jim Starlin along with the Universal Church of Truth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Selachian posted:

If you want to complicate Warlock's family tree even more, don't forget Greg Pak's 2004 miniseries (which, IIRC, was canceled after two issues; four were published).

I think the idea of Adam having to act as a mentor to a younger, angrier version of himself is the most interesting thing anyone has done with Warlock in about a quarter century, so of course it was promptly forgotten the moment the last issue of the Pak series went off to the pulping machine.

No, do forget that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghostlight posted:

I read that Doughboy introduction arc last night and I just want to say that after that image everyone gets inside Doughboy who transforms into a supersonic UFO to take them all to Zola's bio-engineered living castle where Captain America has to battle an automaton driven by Hitler's brain to prevent Zola from taking his Face Off.

Comic books are really loving dumb.

Isn't it great?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 34: Zero

If you remember Zero at all chances are it's from reading way too many X-Books in the '90s. He was basically the chauffeur for Stryfe and the Mutant Liberation Front and that's pretty much it. Oh yeah, he's also an android but I'm pretty sure when this was written that hadn't been revealed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I feel like a teleporter, even the type that needs to first create a portal then step through it, should get an asterisk at least for speed.

The Marvel wiki agrees.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Ambient-Energy_Dampening_Actualization_Module_Unit_Zero_(Earth-4935)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 35: Glob

Here's a Hulk enemy I'm not very familiar with. The only Glob I know of is Herman and this guy is no Glob Herman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 36: Hate-Monger

A clone of Adolph Hitler? Yeesh.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 37: Doctor Nightshade

Tilda Johnson is a character that goes way back to Steve Englehart's run on Captain America in the '70s and has recently resurfaced in David Walker's Nighthawk and Occupy Avengers. She's a tech and cybernetics expert. Recently she joined Hawkeye and Red Wolf to try and carve out a new path for herself as a hero.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Tilda is a great example of how there are no bad characters

This thread proves otherwise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dude if you think 8-Ball is a bad character you have no soul

No, he's amazing. I'm talking like Razor Fist or Manslaughter or Trump or that little horse looking guy I can't remember the name of without looking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was not around yesterday to grab one to put up so here's a triple shot today.

Day 38: Master Order and Lord Chaos and The In-Betweener

Master Order and Lord Chaos, like a lot of Marvel Cosmic characters, are abstract manifestations of concepts and ideas, in this case the balance of order and chaos in the Marvel Universe. The In-Betweener is their servant and as the name states he's their mediator of sorts. These guys are semi regulars when it comes to the big cosmic stuff. Recently Order and Chaos usurped The Living Tribunal and then merged with the In-Betweener and decided to take his place. They claimed with the universe freshly remade it threw all the rules out the window and they decided to take over and institute the rules the way they wanted. In addition to taking out The Living Tribunal they also disposed of most of the Celestials.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 39: Surtur

I think most of us know Surtur from the Thor books, but my question is simple. How in the world does that fire underwear work? I mean even for comic book physics that's a stretch.

Nailed it with those distinguishing features though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haven't been around much the last few days so I've missed some entries. But we're back with someone who is amazing.

Day 40: Punisher 2099

Jake F'n Gallows. Punisher 2099 is another of the great hits of the 2099 line. If you aren't acquainted with Jake you have been missing out. Punisher 2099 is a rad dude. Al Ewing just recently brought him back in the Contest of Champions series that left our lives too soon. Read this then go track down some Punisher 2099 stories. You'll be better for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I honestly think Punisher 2099 was just too good to last for its time. I have a feeling some people took it on faith that the story was 100% serious. I think a Punisher 2099 book in the same vein would sell better than a regular Punisher book right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Considering other comics of the era, it would've been very difficult to identify it as tongue-in-cheek.

This is true.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dear Marvel Handbook Thread:

8-Ball is in the new issue of Star-Lord that just came out today. And he is surprisingly awesome.

I just thought you should know.

I haven't read today's yet, but he was in the issue a couple weeks ago too. Just barely though. Of course it's someone like Zdarsky that not only knows about him but brings him back.

8-Ball has pretty much turned into the find of the thread. And the fact that he's back like a week or two after being posted is a weird cosmic coincidence. Obviously some kind of divine intervention.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 41: Ravage 2099

Ravage was one of the 2099 books I never read. I really only know of him from seeing him elsewhere. I don't know if there's any appeal to the character at all like Doom, Punisher, or Spider-Man. Anyone ever read his stuff?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think we need some more orb-headed characters in this thread.

Day 42: Occult

I have no clue who this is. And yes, there is a reason for the "R" on the costume. But it's not a good one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 43: Xemnu

There's so many characters in here that I have no clue about. And here's another. He's a Hulk enemy who is formerly known as Hulk himself. Seems that he also used to be red.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 44: Lucifer

Gonna be honest with you. This was not what I was expecting the character with this name to look like. Completely threw me for a loop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 45: Foxfire

Foxfire is both a Squadron Supreme villain turned ally and what my 60 year old uncle calls his web browser when he calls me to fix his computer. Not really much effort went into her design. I do find the differently sized boots an odd design choice though.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 4, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 46: Machete

This dude's got knives everywhere. I'm not even sure how you reach a couple of those on the back. Also insert Danny Trejo joke here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 47: The Power Broker

The man who could be the inspiration for a lot of really bad artist's careers. The Power Broker is a dude that that seems like a '90s wet dream but he's way older than that. Not to be confused with new version who's a bit more professional looking for a CEO. It says he's presumed single, but honestly who could resist this mountain of a man?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

From the BSS Movie thread:

Lobok posted:

You should probably do Starhawk as a Handbook entry then!

OK!

Day 48: Starhawk

Starhawk is an original member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. The version from far in the future. He is the son of Quasar and Ayesha/Kismet/Her that you may remember from the Adam Warlock entry. Or at least a future version of those characters. He also weighs 450 lbs according to this sheet.

Oh and more recently sometimes he's a woman. Not to be confused with his sister Aleta who is also sometimes known as Starhawk.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

goatface posted:

So his adopted sister is his wife, and also fused with him into a single being?

I hear that's the plot of Flash Season 5.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 49: Squadron Supreme

I think most are familiar with the concept of Squadron Supreme and how they are analogues to the Justice League. The 12 issue series from Gruenwald is still one of my favorite Marvel books from that era.

Skylark is based on a combination of Black Canary and Hawkgirl
I couldn't find an individual entry for her.

Shape is based on Plastic Man

Dr. Spectrum is based on Green Lantern

Hyperion is based on Superman

Power Princess is based on Wonder Woman

Whizzer is based on Flash

Haywire is based on Vibe

Moonglow is based on Gypsy

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 10, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Nightbatmanhawk is conspicuously absent from that lineup. Did they want to avoid confusion with the 616 Nighthawk? (aka the only OG Squadron Sinister member that ever went sort of anywhere)

He's no longer on this iteration of the team. He resigned and is opposed to them in the series. Both Nighthawks are in the Handbook though and we'll get to them eventually. I only included the ones on the team here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Note that Skylark was originally Lady Lark, a more direct Black Canary clone, who was involved with the Squadron's Hawkman clone; when he died, she took his wings as an homage to him and became Skylark.

Yeah when she was Lady Lark she was also with Golden Archer. I'm sure you all can guess who he was based on.

There's lots of other members like Tom Thumb, Nuke, Amphibian, etc. This is basically the team as it was at the time of the Handbook printing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

Does anyone mind if I jack this thread but for DC's Who's Who?

Sure, I was hoping someone would do a DC ripoff thread since I don't have those books. I think they're a bit more history intensive like the early Marvel Handbooks though.

Day 50: M.O.D.O.K.

The greatest character ever? Possibly so.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well since we did the Squadron and there's been talk of him. I think we'll just go ahead and knock this one out.

Day 51: Nighthawk

Here's both Nighthawks as written up in the Marvel Handbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NorgLyle posted:

I'm sad that the Supreme Power versions never got to be in a Handbook.

I'm pretty sure they got this in 2005 and then nothing else until the Fact Files series.

• Locked thread