Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Is Jughead ever going to eat a hamburger on this show or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Spergatory posted:

He's homeless. He can't afford burgers. Why do you think he started eating that kid's sundae last week? He was hungry.

I suppose now they HAVE done the set up that would justify Jughead's Dad being able to accuse him of "literally eating us out of house and home."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Spergatory posted:

Mr. Cooper joins the psycho list. It's a worryingly long list.

Looking forward to the scene in the season finale when he's being hauled in for murder and the deputy is giving him the "And all for...what? For a little bit of syrup? There's more to life than a little syrup, you know" speech.

Kidding, of course, because there's no way Mr. Cooper did it. In shows like this, nobody with probable cause/a blood feud who would break into the sheriff's house to steal evidence in episode 5 if they had actually committed the crime.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 24, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol the CoverGirl label coming sharply into focus.

Not their first blatant Cover Girl product placement spot, either. I recall one other shot where camera behaved exactly the same: follow the character's hand as they put the product away, end with a rack focus on the label. Really draws attention to itself, but I guess that's the point.

DivisionPost posted:

If that's the tack they're taking, though, I doubt Archie stays tertiary for the whole season. If that's how it is, so be it, but he's our main guy, and our main guy is stuck in a bubble with a severe confidence problem. Something is going to force him into the game.

My pet theory is "Archie was the intended victim because somebody wanted to hurt Fred Andrews, Jason was murdered by mistake." My basis is 1) Most of the adults in this town have shown themselves to be amoral monsters and B) Mrs. Blossom directly called out how Archie and Jason look alike.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Reminder that Tony Topaz cyberbullied Veronica re: her ethnicity.

I love Ace McDonald's progression from "Burn" to "Workshoppepd burn" to "Who am I kidding"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Edmund Lava posted:

Picked up the Riverdale One Shot comic today, and whiles there's nothing earth shattering in it, there were a few neat details. Spoiler just in case:

One of the Serpents mentions to Jughead that his dad "doesn't give a poo poo about you. Denny was the one he cared about" no idea how that could refer too.

Maybe his sister?

Also I keep forgetting that Betty was away on a summer internship - during the whole Polly flashback I was wondering "Shouldn't her sister hear this whole kicking-and-screaming routine?" I guess Toni Morrison isn't doing readings at Pop's.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes but they do inexplicably have a nightclub.

Much like Pawnee had to have the Snakehole Lounge, Riverdale needs a place that caters to...some ill-defined sliver of the population.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Oh, boy, it's swell to say
Riverdale, USA

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Narrator posted:

Cole Sprouse has apparently 'hacked' KJ Apa's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/kj_apa/status/847622501966295040

Speaking of: Archie, you dumbass. Rolling into a Serpents bar ("WHYTE WYRM") in your goddamn letterman jacket.

Lightning Lord posted:

So I heard Archie hosed young hot Ms Grundy in this show, how much of a thing is that? Because that seems like a really good reason to watch to me.

Not much of a thing, because much to the producers' surprise people weren't down with a child predator storyline right out of the gate. But in episode 3 Betty and Veronica set a honeypot trap in a hot tub for the captain of the football team, and Betty puts on a black bob wig and sultry lingerie.

It's a good show.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 31, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DivisionPost posted:

Nah, Grundy's exit was baked in. She left town, when, episode 4? That would've been in post, if not entirely in the can, by the time the first episode aired.

I recall reading that the producers explained the decision to write her out was made after focus grouping the pilot but before going to series, but I can't find a source.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 31, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

GreenNight posted:

I hope the Cooper mom has a savings account cause that school paper job can't pay that well, or at all.

I hope that working for the school paper requires her to re-enroll as a student.

"Who killed Jason Blossom" takes a backseat to the major storyline for the rest of the season: Alice Cooper's rise as the new mean girl who terrorizes Riverdale High.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In the Archie universe the high school cheerleading squad is a thinly veiled pole dancing club.

Chuck comes back and explicitly references "Dark Betty," that dance off...second commercial break and this is already shaping up to be the episode of the season.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jamesman posted:

Once he's out of romantic prospects, he's gonna lose his poo poo and bring a gun to school.

Foreshadowed by a scene where Archie, wearing a scout uniform, stares at himself in a mirror as Dilton moves into frame over his shoulder.

Is the tone intensely psychosexual? You bet.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

cant cook creole bream posted:

And Betty looked absolutely gorgeous with that dress and hair.

Betty looked friggin' phenomenal, in a series where everybody's default look is "impossibly beautiful"

It was nice how the show leaned into the "Veronica and Jughead are not, in fact, friends" stuff this episode; looking forward to when the two of them reference that emotional distance when they are working together/dry humping to catch Moose's killer circa season 6.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Veronica went from lounging around in a nightie to a full outfit to go find Jughead at Pop's in the middle of the night; T-shirts and jeans aren't even in this girl's wardrobe, huh?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah, pretty distant, but still. I don't know that "Coopers ARE Blossoms" was on anybody's board.

And now we've got a heroin overdose - things are ratcheting up but fast here in the home stretch!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I liked that they were unambiguous in wrapping up the biggest parts of the whodunnit this hour...but kinda hate that it means next week is pretty obviously going to be a full hour of setup and hooks for Season 2. The wait is going to be interminable, especially if it's another 13 episodes instead of a full season (Even though the shorter run probably works in the show's favor.)

Edmund Lava posted:

So that preview "Something wicked this way comes". They better not be loving with us.

I hope they are. I'm perfectly happy with the show tackling over-the-top teen soap material with a suitably arch, self-aware sensibility, WITHOUT having to lean on genre hoodoo. Leave that to literally everything else on the CW.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
What kind of awards can we give this show for opening with "It was the ultimate Cliffhanger" on that shot? I almost spilled my wine.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Barry Convex posted:

I missed the first 15 minutes or so. Were there any shirtless sce - I mean, important plot points?

Clifford Blossom was moving heroin from Montreal by using maple syrup as a front
Betty wrote an expose about FP's innocence and how the powers that be are eager to pin hard drug dealing on the Serpents
Mommy Blossom had a big melodramatic moment with Cheryl in the barn where she said "Maybe Daddy had the right idea" and Cheryl's been giving away her possessions/throwing up "SUICIDAL" warning signs ever since

Nobody was shirtless

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
So did Jughead and Betty bone down or what

I assume he wore the jacket and nothing else if so

DivisionPost posted:

Oh you bastards.

I really thought they were going to end on the exterior shot with the shot and muzzle flash, but instead they opted for the even worse cliffhanger: Reveal who was shot, but without a definitive outcome.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Codependent Poster posted:

So this small town which apparently has only one place to eat and one giant high school has different school districts?

I grew up in a county with a population under 100k, but we still managed to have had 3 school districts and 4 high schools, all zoned in a way where it meant like a third of my classmates had a 30+ minute commute to school.

Of course, this was the South, and that was some straight Jim Crow holdover poo poo. Let's just assume classism runs just as deep in Riverdale.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Showrunner Interview

quote:

So when we started talking about this happening to Fred, I said, “This will be as impactful on Archie as when young Bruce Wayne sees his parents gunned down, or when Spiderman’s Uncle Ben is shot and killed.” Those are galvanizing moments for those guys, and it will be for Archie. It’s going to set him on his real journey, ultimately towards heroism, but I think first to a much darker place than we’ve played Archie. Long gone will be the days of, “Music or football? Betty or Veronica?” It’s an Archie who’s seen his worst fears come true.

So there's your genre twist: It's not a supernatural one, it's a superHERO one.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mameluke posted:

Good I hope he joins the Serpents with Jughead as part of his quest to understand the nature of criminals

"They are a superstitious and cowardly lot, I shall disguise myself as the thing which terrifies them the most"
[Puts on Batman mask, then a bright blue Riverdale letterman jacket with "ARCHIE ANDREWS" and his home address stitched across the back]

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cheryl was telegraphing her intentions pretty hard, and right when she was going to open up to The Gang they took off without a second thought to save Jughead from (being the most popular kid at) Southside High. That moment felt like it was lifted from something like Wet Hot American Summer or Strangers With Candy, asking the vulnerable peer to open up and IMMEDIATELY ignoring her.

I enjoyed how The Gang stood on the riverbank telling themselves "We can't all go out on the ice, it'll break!" Long enough to stand idly by and watch Cheryl go through. And then they all immediately went out on the ice without a problem.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Reggie Mantle has been recast with male model Charles Melton taking over for Ross Butler. The implication is that Reggie will actually be a character going forward.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hey guys, remember when Cheryl wore the dress and it was the greatest scene in television history.

The greatest scene in television history was when Dark Betty appeared. Runner up, the maple tapping ceremony and Cheryl's insane Red Riding Hood Miniskirt getup.

Speaking of, all those other "shareholders" at the maple ceremony...they're totally part of the international heroin smuggling ring, right?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

General Ironicus posted:

He also said suspending half the football team would have dire consequences. Not all VO is necessarily gospel.

Clearly he was referring to something that would occur in SEASON TWO
...unless he was referring to Cheryl & Chuck's Surprise House Party/Truth or Dare. Dire.

Speaking of Season Two, it's moving to the (suddenly competitive) 8 PM Wednesday spot.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Phylodox posted:

I don't know if it'll work with anything else, but I know that when I stream from the CTV app to my Chromecast, it skips the ads.

On the Fire TV Stick sometimes it will play two blocks of ads back-to-back and then skip them later in the show. The app really is a mess but I guess it works well enough.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I wonder if this means FP will be exonerated in short order, of if people are going to be visiting the local lock-up on a weekly basis.

Dear Riverdale: Please pull whatever narrative trickery is necessary to put Jughead behind bars and sharing a cell with FP, where they have to learn how to be father and son again, if only for a single episode.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DivisionPost posted:

You know, if they do pivot into supernatural horror, I'll be here for it, but I kinda really like the neo-noir thing it has going on right now.

Like, My Dark Places for sensitive teens (and teens at heart) is something I want to see way more of.

Leave the genre trappings to the rest of the CW, keep Riverdale a pure over-the-top teen soap.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

What is this from? I need to see it.

Lili Reinhart and Camila Mendes got their own dedicated Giphy galleries of reaction gifs for...some reason. They are incredible.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Q: Cheryl, why'd you burn the poo poo out of your mom?!

A:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sugarman? The X-Men villain? Is this gonna be a crossover event?

New (short) trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9gi444g9k

ARCHIE'S GOT A BAT! AND A GUN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm glad to hear Sabrina is set to be its own thing rather than cropping up in Riverdale. Please don't bring magic into my grounded, realistic over-the-top soap opera about high school kids getting caught up in the world of real estate swindles, small town gang wars and the maple syrup export business being used as a front for heroin trafficking

• Locked thread