Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm playing on casual because the battle saves help me capture scenes and those double missions. I'm not going to make my life miserable for Fates.

It really felt like Fates was balanced more around casual when I played it.

Was it just me, or did anyone else get that impression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Beruka is a flying brick wall and she is amazing. She got that Dual Club and wrecked face for the rest of the game for me. She is a tad slow, but you usually only need one hit with her.

Our resident sassy swordswoman is ok, but she's competing with a number of other sword users and doesn't stand out too much.

She's one of the better ones still. Decent join time, and she's one of the only units to be reasonably fast and reasonably tanky.

I might even go so far as to say she's the only one of the Awakening carryovers to still qualify as a good unit. Not as good as in Awakening, where she was pretty impressive even by second gen standards, but quite useful.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ugh, this map kicked my rear end so hard, but I finally beat it on hard/classic.

Yes I am bad at fire emblem, why do you ask?

If you beat it on hard/classic, you aren't bad at Fire Emblem.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wait seriously?

Can you post the character breakdowns in the main FE thread if you have them?

Well, I can say that Nintendo Dream's polls had obscenely female-leaning demographics (Somewhere in the neighborhood of 90/10), and Tharja still did alright, which would be pretty difficult with only dudes voting for her.

That said, their Fates poll put Severa and Effie down at 49 and 50, while putting Subaki and Kana in the top twenty, so their readership is basically garbage people with garbage taste who should be ignored at all times.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Why the hell is Corrine so whiny at the end? From what I could see, the Rainbow Sage died of old age, so there was literally nothing she could've done. Or was there a sound effect that I missed because the scene is text-only here?

He offed himself.

Tragic, really. Old goat died minutes ahead of his time.

Also, man. Female Corrin's design is so much better than guy Corrin's. This isn't Robin where you got six designs, and they all can more or less work. This is three crap designs (with less variation) and one decent one with weird leg cutouts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

He just punches them in the throat really hard instead of cutting them.

Rubber shuriken.

Honest.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Great Lord Selena to avoid comparisons to her mother, keep her weapon rank, and keep Ylissean heirlooms in Ylissean hands, gently caress's sake Chrom
Wyvern Lord Camilla so it's easier to snap the game over your knee

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

I always find it ironic when the Awakening characters start going on about fate, considering the attitude their origin game took on the subject.

Although I agree with you, I'm kinda more irritated at how they fawn on the royals same as the other retainers.

Owain at minimum, and quite possibly Severa (from Robin or Virion) and Inigo (from Chrom or either of the aforementioned) have the same noble bloodline credentials as any of the Nohr royals, and they all were pals with Lucina, who was the uncontested ruler of all human civilization. Hell, any one of them could be a demigod. But they still fawn over the royals like everybody in the game goes for Corrin, with similar levels of justification.

Then again, the game is on way more of a born better kick than Awakening's "You are yourself, before you are any man's son. Remember that." themes, so it's of a piece with the rest of the garbage, I suppose. Still dumb.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Never got aroud to playing Conquest, so all I can say is... :cripes:

And I'm certain that we still haven't hit peak stupid yet.

Eh, I'd say this was arguably peak stupid. There's a lot more stupid, and competitive stupid, but it doesn't get much past "Superman! Have you seen Clark Kent? He was wearing contacts and a cape for some reason."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

Yeah that offscreen execution of Scarlet ain't even gonna be the dumbest death we see involving her.

Everytime the avatar says or does something stupid in Conquest, take a shot.

Even dying of alcohol poisoning won't make this game's story look good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

And here we go. This is the moment where any hope I had for Conquest's story went up in smoke. This is the moment that immediately plunged Conquest, in my eyes, to be the worst plot in the entire series, and easily one of the worst plots I have ever seen in a game period. This is the moment that made the story so excruciating for me, it actively deterred me from playing. (That and how stressful the maps got) Azura, horribly, despicably condemning thousands upon thousands of her own adopted countrymen, likely her siblings too, to death just to prove it to the Nohr siblings (Read: Xander) and Corrine immediately agreeing to it. Corrine and Azura are bordering on being Tales Villains here (Which came to me initially from how I interpreted the goal of the plan to be to cure Garon, pulling a Mithos Yggdrasil, but no, it's to kill him, which is... Better?)

I brought up how I thought Conquest could have been improved if Yoko Taro wrote it before. One factor is that Corrine scarily reminds me of Nowe from Drakengard 2 (The non-Yoko Taro one, for those that do not know) in their sheer callous disregard for the consequences of their actions, while being blindly loyal to the point of bottomless stupidity. A Yoko Taro Conquest would have made Corrine and Azura realise how bad an idea their plan was, as it all descends into a road of unintended murder and insanity.

Well, they might not.

But the narrative would be pretty sure about how horrible this plan is, and how awful of people they are.

Meanwhile, Conquest seems convinced Corrin's poo poo don't smell.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omobono posted:

Me feel stupider from watching stupidest scribbles in little boxes under pretty pictures.

JFC Azura "let's earnestly help at Dachau it'll give us a chance to take down Hitler" THAT's what you're saying.
Are we sure Corrin and Azura are not actually siblings? Because they feel equally stupid. Goddamn inbred dragon royals.

They're not siblings.

But yes, I assume there's a lot of common branches in their family tree.

Like I said, Robin is a multi-millenium eugenics project that would make Ankh Morpork's Dragon King of Arms start drooling.

Corrin is one of the embarrassing side effects of that kind of project someone puts in a sack and drowns in the river.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I "love" how this is the one choice conquest offers.

Just "Hey, wanna kill a guy for his boots? You can do that. Can't influence the plot in any other way, that was all marketing bullshit, but Corrin will randomly kill this one guy who's more than willing to join for... reasons. Despite never killing anyone on other missions."

This game... it is not well written.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argent Cinereus posted:

But boots, though. Seriously, how many people in your army in Conquest have a full set of clothing? Can you really say one of them wouldn't kill someone for some shoes?

Severa has a full set, and is at least half Ylissean besides, a country known (at least in the modern era) for not being full of absolute shits.

I'm sure that she'd only kill someone for really nice shoes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I admit that Silas showing up for this paralogue is weird. It'd make sense if it was Keaton, Niles, Benny (Arthur's A+ supports) or even Elise, but that's not what we get. I would not be surprised if this is some remnant of an earlier draft where either Silas had a support with Arthur, or Silas had a level of plot immunity (i.e., if he gets "killed", Silas is demoted to a NPC plot exposition role instead of dying for real) much like the royal siblings do.

On the other hand, I have to laugh at Anthony Del Rio going for the exact same voice as he did for Pit in Kid Icarus Uprising/Smash Brothers in voicing Percy. It's a perfect fit for Percy's more upbeat personality, to the point it almost feels like a happy accident the voice director(s) stumbled into.

Silas is plot immune, like all the fathers in the game.

Honestly, it's faster to list out first generations who aren't.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Yes. However, like others who have discussed the many issues with this game's plot, the fact that you were able to come up with stuff like this so quickly shows just how little care there was on the actual game staff. If your audience can come up with better ideas than the people you pay to do the same amount of work, then perhaps the problem lies with the people you hired. No one actually put in the passion or the emotional investment in writing the game's plot, which is frustrating because both the animation and music departments clearly DID put in the effort, so again, the problem lies at the feet of the writers and their editors. Their writing goes all over the place, to the hilariously stupid (see previous cutscene), to the painfully mediocre, and to the "No really, this is not funny. Why the gently caress do you think this is funny?" (this one is mostly in the supports). When something good actually does pop up, it is such a fleeting moment of relief that it makes everything else stand out even more. What's worse is that editors looked at this incoherent mess of a plot and gave their stamp of approval without objection, and that is what amazes me the most. So yeah, you coming up with your own ways to improve or take advantage of the setting is not a bad thing, especially when talking about a game where the actual staff went for the bare minimum and called it a day.

The supports are oddly easier to explain. They're outsourced.

The main game, though, that's the interesting failure, since it comes between Awakening and Echoes, and you know what?

Those are competent! Awakening's main story has characters with arcs, scenes with emotional weight, and a lot of good dialog. Sure it's got issues, but it's fun enough. You like Chrom's band of lovable goobers, and give a poo poo when things go bad.

Echoes gives time to show its villains have motivations, gives the cast likable banter, and fleshes out (to a greater or lesser extent) pretty much all the characters despite being based on an old famicom game.

Neither game's Nier: Automata or anything, but two of the last three basically work, and Fates just... doesn't. A lot of the same names in the credits, but the gulf's notable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

For step 4, you don't want slimes in this game?

Look, some poo poo went down in Arcanretia, and we all respond to it in different ways.

(I keep saying it because it keeps being true. Fates would be infinitely better if Kamui and Aqua were replaced with Kazuma and Aqua. All the routes would be a mixture of heavy drinking, failure and rainbow colored vomit.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Uh, no. One of the marks of a good translator is taking liberties with the script where appropriate to make things better for the intended audience.

Like IIRC in Awakening, Henry was a completely different character between the English and Japanese versions. There was no basis for his "happy-go-lucky-about-death" shtick in the Japanese version whatsoever.

Not quite. Japanese Henry was more "Laughing to cover the pain" than the US version, but his basic schtick was the same.

Oddly enough, if my research is correct, Awakening's localized script both was both more faithful and better than Fates's.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Little princess... The sad truth is that justice is an illusion. A child's fairy tale. There is no light path that always leads to good, nor dark path that leads to evil. To believe that—to see the world in black and white—is missing half the picture.

Counterargument.

Seriously, everyone else has pointed out how full of poo poo that speech is, but man. MAN that is some lovely everything right there.

It's a speech you give to a villain specifically so the heroes can roll their eyes and maybe make a "wanker" gesture. Giving it to a supposedly sympathetic character... yeah.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

I really hope for Fire Emblem Switch, they slash and burn any inkling of a plan to pull the multiple versions poo poo again and condense the writing staff down to a WAY smaller number than fuckin' 20. I'd ask for them to cut down the heavy marriage and children emphasis, but I know that isn't happening.

Jesus christ that General flood at the end does not look fun in the slightest. There's no strategy, just prayer and hoping your tanks hold on as long as possible. On normal mode, way less Generals are present and spawned, so there's fun in slowly breaking them down. For me, an Enfeeble staff softened up Hans, before he was reduced to a burn skeleton thanks to a Thunder tome. (Can't remember who landed the last blow...) Iago, Elise and her Silence staff created an opening.

Considering how kids went over in Fates, I figure that feature's on break. And if they keep full voice acting like in Echoes, likely there'll be less supports.

I'd think an avatar is likely, but hey. Robin's cool. Probably won't be a disaster again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heaven Spacey posted:

"Shadow Yato" is a goofy-rear end name and I'm really surprised the translators couldn't think of something a little less ridiculous-sounding like "Umbral Yato" or "Shrouded Yato" or something like that.

Let's say you were given this game's script.

Could you honestly be assed to come up with something better?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Roy is pretty garbage too but he's just red Marth so

Roy is garbage, but he's garbage in the opposite way to Corrin.

Where Corrin is central to the plot, but a complete loving idiot who does everything wrong while all his friends and family tell him he's great, Roy makes no mistakes, and has no investment in the central narrative beyond "As a human, I think the villain's plans to wipe out humanity are bad." The rest of the cast who gets dialog (mainly Merlinus) exists to doubt him, so he looks smarter when he makes the correct call anyway.

Also, Corrin's useful as a unit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cythereal posted:

And why is the king dude suddenly a slime monster? I don't remember this from Birthright.

Magic chair.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the best way to view the terrible plots is to assume each route is its own, independant story.
Else you get king garon, who is a slime monster, but also a man, but also a dragon

Garon was a man.

I mean, he was a slime-demon man.

Or maybe he was just a dragon.

But he was still Garon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A thing I find funny about Xander's war speech, other than the fact it makes him a hypocritical piece of poo poo, is how it's the opposite of Chrom's speeches last game.

Chrom tried to make peace, but ultimately had to deal with the fact sometimes the only way he could cope with problems was stabbin' dudes in the gut. Xander spends the game doing murders since his dad asked, and then makes a speech on how war is always bad.

Then again, the whole game is thematically opposed to Awakening despite constantly trying to mimic it. Why should it be a surprise now?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theshim posted:

Yeah, go back and read Chrom's speeches to Gangrel and Walhart, and compare with anything here. It's ugly.

Everyone's getting a horrible image of Fates, and while they're completely correct when it comes to the story, it's worth defending the gameplay as shittons of fun, even as it has its own kinks and weird decisions. Conquest really could use a breather chapter or two, and Birthright could use some variety and twists, but the games are just fun to play.

Eh.

I mean, Conquest was well worth playing, but looking back, with another Fire Emblem around to be newest (even if it is a Gaiden remake), I think it's got some problems from the gameplay standpoint even ignoring the writing.

One thing that's been brought up already, which kinda ties into my feeling that Conquest wasn't built to be balanced around classic, is how many maps, especially lategame, entirely revolve around a one-off gimmick. Even if the kitsune map was good, it doesn't help the player build up any skills to deal with ninja hell or the cave of infinite faceless. Echoes has jank maps too, (to put it mildly) but they build on each other. Sure, infinite teleporting witches suck, but once you figure out how to deal with them, you'll have that knowledge for later.

Fates also feels much less holistic than a lot of other Fire Emblems, if I don't look like too much of an rear end in a top hat for using the term. Things like the paralogues and my castle don't mesh at all with the main game, forging invalidates silver weapons, pairup is less busted, but it makes a lot of units primarily useful as stat backpacks where Awakening's broken system encouraged actually using both units...

The maps are clever enough to be worth a look, assuming you're willing to deal with a certain level of difficulty, but I think there's problems with it even aside from the incredibly lovely writing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

kill both monarchies, install communism now

Yeah!

Why half-rear end the genocides? Let's have everybody die of starvation.

They all deserve it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i'm maintaining my 'azura is the secret villain' stance

As Azura has the same name as Aqua from Konosuba in Japan, I'm leaning towards "She is just that loving stupid", myself.

We just tragically wound up with Corrin instead of Kazuma, so the plot is a continuing spiral of idiocy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

It actually wasn't. The original drafts Kobayashi sent in didn't have anything at all about valla or mycastle or water demons. That's part of why Azura has like two separate backstories, one that kinda makes sense and one that doesn't have anything to do with anything.

It doesn't help that they outsourced Revelation to the same people who did supports. AKA people who had nothing to do with either of the previous main plots.

Fates: The writing is bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Something tells me that as much as that would have been a great plan, Slime Garon would have had some kind of bullshit curse immunity because gently caress you, that's why.

He's not even immune to a Hexing Rod.

Corrin and Azura are just dumb.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Why not play on non-perma death mode? I mean, I know why people don't do that, I just think that's a poor decision when you're dealing with a tedious bullshit gimmick like this map.

In previous games, you could make a pretty good argument they were balanced around it. The challenge was primarily getting everyone out alive, not just clearing the level.

Revelation, however, is not balanced at all. So.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

I don't mind that we're still repeating the same situations. After all, most of them had roots going before Corrine made her choices, and if we didn't deal with them now people who reached the end of the game would be talking about how "Wait a minute, X is still out there and could have carved out a new Big Bad position while we weren't looking."

The game doesn't care about them the map after they finish. Why should the player?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

A second game that worked differently and had a different setting happened with several NES/Famicom series. The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy are two others I can think of off the top of my head. The idea of video game sequels that worked the same as the previous game hadn't set in by that time.

Castlevania Simon's Quest.

The US Mario 2.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

And Camilla never interacts with Azura in a meaningful way ever again. Seriously, they have no support.

They have a conversation in DLC. That was never localized.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

inthesto posted:

Conquest's gameplay is the best in the entire series, and it's so easy to skip the plot that I had forgotten how dumb it was until this thread.

Also, it gave us the first female fighter, and she rules.

I used to think that about Conquest, but a year and a half on, I'm less sure.

Half the maps revolve around one-off gimmicks that come out of nowhere and leave no trace. Like I said earlier, figuring out how to deal with the winds does nothing to help you deal with the cave of infinite faceless. Each gimmick is an object in space. Some are interesting, some really aren't, but they're almost all isolated.

The game's maps are also really not designed for classic. Often, they're staggered so that you face an easy opening, then have several points of failure where you can easily lose a unit to an unlucky crit or stacking debuffs, meaning you have to repeat the same dull bullshit before you get a chance to figure out what you did wrong and/or avoid getting unlucky. (Which is much more difficult with the modified RNG)

And then there's unit balance, where shuriken and the royals are godlike, while most of your mages are crap.

Conquest's interesting, but no game with the kitsune map can claim to have the best gameplay in the series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Serifina posted:

Worth noting that the localization for Awakening was done by 8-4, not Treehouse.

8-4 and a contractor whose name I really wish I could remember, because he also worked with them on the Nier games. Guy primarily handled supports while 8-4 did the rest of the dialog, but they were in pretty close contact.

At least, if I remember the podcast right.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

I'm not a big fan of Kamui getting changed to Corrin because Ainu culture is cool and there is a read on Valla that you can make with that comparison in mind that is almost impossible to track without Kamui's name pushing you in that direction.

It's also much worse as a gender neutral name than Robin and Morgan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

A question that I also ask. You have a perfect rearrangement of Gaius' name...and you don't use it. What?

He spends too much time running from real fights.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

Obviously the city walls will be discovered centuries later by Black Hole, and have their materials broken down and replicated to build their pipe systems.

Also, weird how Ryoma has nothing to say if Takumi attacks him.

Weirder how Inigo has nothing to say if Severa attacks him.

You had one job...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Plot critical. The Yato(s) couldn't be upgraded by just any old dude.

But it CAN upgrade itself with the power of friendship if the Rainbow Sage is dead. So, why do we need him again?

• Locked thread