Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think Azura's Sky Knight outfit is semi-unique (one future character has the same color palette), so you gain that as well. Admittedly, Sky Knight isn't going to do wonders for her already low base HP and Defense growths, but hey, at least Azura can contribute on the offensive side of things more. Or just be a pegasus taxi service when the need comes up.

But yeah, the more interesting capturable bosses/generics are on Conquest. Daniela is just...meh. If you need a Strategist on Birthright, just reclass Felicia and run with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Shop inventories rotate if you do enough battles in between right?
No, the person staffing the various buildings rotates after each battle, like the resource generators. Unless you have a specific accessory related to that building, then whoever is wearing that accessory is who will be manning the shops.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

drat, so the only things you can buy an infinite number of are the ones that have an infinity symbol for quantity? That kinda sucks for all the more varied stuff.
There is a DLC map where you can potentially get more of the unique weapons, but more often than not you'll wind up with the regular Iron or Steel weapons that you can buy from your own shops.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The -faire were a little different in Awakening, however. There, it was a flat +5 to a unit's Strength or Magic stat with the corresponding weapon equipped. Fates changes it to a +5 damage boost for equipping the corresponding weapon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Functionally identical, with the exception of using a magic weapon no longer powering up staves.
That is true. Thankfully, with the exception of Azama, the healers in Fates generally have very good magic growths and don't necessarily need an extra +5 boost to their Magic stat.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So, um, can't Kaze teleport like he does whenever he enters/exits battle?

I literally don't know what went into this scene other than enough crack to kill a fully grown orca whale.
Fates is full of weird ideas that needed at least a second editing pass before sounding coherent, and this is one of them. I get the angle the writers wanted to go with for the scene (Kaze is resentful over his hesitation that allowed Corrin to be kidnapped, and thus seeks to redeem himself by giving his life to save Corrin), but the execution faceplants harder than a meteor hitting the planet at top speed. The dumbest part about the whole Kaze thing is that this is the only time it happens. Conquest and Revelation do not have a similar scene where this occurs, either to Kaze or even a different character. If they were consistent about this sequence by placing it on all three routes, it'd still be dumb but now consistent with how the game wants to handle Kaze's character. Instead, we have a ho-hum cutscene if you get Kaze to A support and a painfully laughable "this only works if everyone's a total idiot" cutscene if you don't.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

Has there ever been a postmortem by Nintendo or any of the writers as to why the writing for Fates is so sloppy? "A young Lord is torn between their family on both sides of a terrible war" is great idea for a story, but they could hardly have messed it up any worse than what we got.
To date, I do not believe there has been any commentary on the writing side of things regarding Fates from any of the staff. Or if there is, I have not read anything on the matter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also a thing that seems to be happening a lot is that people are skimping on the editing. You can have a huge team of writers but you need a good team of editors who make sure everything written fits together cohesively.
I will never understand how people place the blame for bad writing in any medium solely at the feet of the writer and never once consider the editor as needing to bear some of the blame. Fates is a perfect example of what happens when a messy script arrives in the hands of editors who fail at their job. Hell, in some places the bad editing comes dangerously close to appearing as being done on purpose, like the editors just wanted a quick paycheck and only put in the minimal amount of effort in their work.

BrightWing posted:

Steroid Redemption for Hyato. Class him over to Oni Savage. :black101:
I secondthird this option. If only to see an Oni Chieftain work beyond just a random generic enemy to face in combat.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I do not understand why Great Masters get lances on promotion instead of bows like Priestesses, because despite everyone being able to be any normal class, IntSys still threw in a weird gender-specific split with weapons and it's only with this class. Countermagic is a nifty skill to have, though. It can make mages or anyone with a magic-based weapon like the Flame Shuriken rethink their strategy because the skill works regardless of range, unlike Counter which only works at close range.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Priestesses are loving insanely good if you can get your hands on the bow equivalent of the Flame Shuriken (which uses Mag instead of Str), but I don't think it's available in Birthright.
Technically, it is available to Birthright via the rare weapons DLC map or via the Battle Points rewards. Outside of those two areas, then no, the Shining Bow is not available through chests/enemy drops.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Booky posted:

This whole fever subplot seems really out of nowhere so far, but that's Fates' writing for you? :psyduck:
If it tied back into Takumi's possession from several chapters ago, then the sudden fever would actually work as a follow-up on that plot point. Alas, it's not and just a random speed bump that keeps Takumi out of this stage.

And Conquest is going to do the same thing for one of its chapters, except with slightly different circumstances.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kind of surprised you're not waiting until Conquest to do this DLC map, unless you're going to be putting the bonus conversations in a separate update.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

There's a big enough difference when you're a different gender. I'm showing this twice.
Ah, that makes sense.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I also am liking the Dark Flier Hayato idea. If he wants to be seen as a man, let him be a pega-pony man.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Argent Cinereus posted:

The fact that there's so much snow around and you have a water dragon thing nearby doesn't help. Especially since it was specifically being on fire that was the problem.
Yeah, no matter how you look at the scene (either through the "magical fire" angle or the "Ice is weak to Fire in Pokemon! :v:" joke angle), this needed at least another pass through the editing department because it requires, once again, everyone to be an idiot to work. And if that's the best way a writer and/or editor can make a scene work, then it is a bad scene and needs to be scrapped. If the intent was to have a tragic death, than don't have it be so painfully stupid; have say, Iago poof in and try to kill Corrin, but Flora shields him and gets mortally wounded in the process. Yes, the scene is still bad, but it's now mildly bad and flows slightly more smoothly and is not mind-numbingly dumb bad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Warding Blow seems okay, but on Falcon Knights it's just superfluous. They have high Resistance already and if a magic user survives the first attack, a Falcon Knight is probably going to land a follow-up thanks to their equally good Speed. It's almost like IntSys ran out of classes to put the skill on and dumped it on Falcon Knight to make up for Lancefaire moving over to Spear Masters. I will echo the praise for Dread Fighter. It is a very good special class, as shuriken access mean you can just toss a single Iron or Steel Shuriken to a Dread Fighter for their ranged/anti-tome option and let the rest of the loadout be more diverse among the sword and axe options.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As much as I like some of the 2nd gen characters in this game, I will among the first to say that the Deeprealms was a painfully shoe-horned dumb idea. At least Awakening had the excuse of the kids coming from a bad future to save the past, thus allowing them to look as they were without much issue. Here? It's basically: Couple hooks up-->does the thing-->????-->baby is born and placed in its Deeprealm-->TIME SKIP-->child is now grown up. And yes, the "????" covers the entire pregnancy part; the game never explains how that goes, nor how a Deeprealm is even created/found/whatever. The kids and their tiny pocket dimensions just simply happen, and the player is expected to accept this without explanation.

Which leads to one big problem with Fates as a whole, it absolutely never commits to world-building outside of very broad strokes. Hoshido and Nohr get barely any development outside of "Hoshido is good with no problems at all (there is no Mokushu, shut up), nope nothing evil here" and "Nohr is ruled by an evil tyrant, his kids know this and want to save their kingdom but live in fear for their lives". Something like small parallel worlds where time flows much faster would be an interesting avenue to explore. Why do these places exist? Are there parallel versions of Hoshido and Nohr out there? These are all things an editor would have stopped and asked the writer to explain further and perhaps create a more complex world. But, as we've seen, that's not what happened. Fates' editing staff looked at the barely bare-bones explanation for Deeprealms and gave their stamp of approval without second thought. And it is so obvious that Fates has this element simply because the kids in Awakening were very popular, but that's where the development teams differ. Awakening built off of Ylisse and its neighbors being Altea and its neighbors 2000ish years after New Mystery ended as well as gave some depth to Lucina and her friends being post-apocalyptic survivors (more or less) trying to save their parents. Fates just throws the kids at you and leaves them very one note outside of "defining character trait" and maybe one or two things else.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, the Bandit Twins. Or, to be more accurate to this game's portrayal, the Extraordinarily Dumb Bandit Twins. And yes, this is technically their lone appearance in the main game. Their other appearances are in three other DLC maps, and one of those maps has them as background NPCs that deliver exposition on the DLC map and not units you fight.

On the flip side, these two morons have the highest base HP growths (115%!!) in the game if you bother capturing them. And they are apparently voiced by Travis Willingham (Lloyd) and D.C. Douglas (Llewelyn) of all people.

CptWedgie posted:

I think Mechanists actually mount some sort of launcher in their puppet's mouth (spring-loaded, most likely, given the setting). I have no idea how they change the payload mid-battle.
I would not be surprised if the head section pops open and the Mechanist replaces the weapons that way. Probably also involves the Not Feudal Japan version of a stripper clip, given how reload speed would be a priority on a battlefield.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Leo's not even a sorcerer

his class can only use Anima magic

his personal tome summons a goddamn tree

what is with all this "darkness" poo poo

Seriously, he's the guy who spared the random prisoners at the request of his little brother, now he's going all necromancer on us? When the hell did this happen?
We betrayed Nohr and now everyone there has to be insane and/or idiotic in order to justify Corrin fighting them because the plot says so. Except Charlotte and Benny, who were just working for their paychecks so they get to live.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, the Adventurer class is nothing like its cousin from Awakening, the Trickster class. Aside from swapping its primary weapon from swords to bows, Adventurer is more specced towards magic than strength...when there is only one magic-based bow in the entire game. So yeah, it's a class that wants to be a staff user rather than an offensive unit while having one of the best weapon types in the game. I don't even. :psyduck:

kvx687 posted:

Alright, this game still has a terrible story, but it's entirely redeemed just for making Henry/Lissa canon. :v:
Sadly, we never get this interaction in Fates (fanart not made by me):

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

Fates in its infinite wisdom gave us just enough husband/wife combos to where if Male Corrin marries one of them there won't be enough to get all the kids unless he marries a Corrinsexual. Apparently they didn't learn this lesson from Awakening I guess.
They also didn't learn the "certain kids with established aunts/uncles should automatically get supports with them" lesson either. Saizo's kid does not have a support with his uncle Kaze, for instance. It's even more annoying because Fates has more of this scenario than Awakening did, so there's no excuse outside of not caring.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, we've recruited Dist the Runny to our ranks. Let's hope he turns out well.

As for Shigure, congrats on having a bad mother and a father who is a hardass, I guess? At least you won't have to deal with the Saizo line like your younger brother will have to.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Yes. The Sevenfold Sanctuary. How do you feel, Ryoma? Are we ready for this? Perhaps I should go ahead to scout—

Nonsense! We're sticking with you, no matter what awaits in there.
Missing a line here, I believe.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

If you get the child units past a certain chapter, the Offspring Seals also give automatic D weapon rank in their promotions' secondary weapons, which is a godsend.
Yep, post-chapter 20 on any of the three routes. Which is great because not only can the kids immediately be able pick up Iron/any other D-rank weapons like you said, but they also promote level 6 and immediately pick up any level 5 promoted skill like Astra or Luna, cutting down on skill grinding immensely.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What happened with Kaden is that he took the stairs up to the next room, and he lost 1 movement because he was one square away from the stair tile before climbing up.

Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds. And yes, that movement loss penalty is never mentioned anywhere.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

Let me get this straight.

Some of the Awakening kids got lost by not taking a left in dimensional Albuquerque or something and ended up in Fates. Stupid writing decision if you ask me, but I won't complain (too much) about more Owain.

Please tell me they're not going to go full stupid circle and have some of the Awakening 1st gens actually be from Fates, are they? Not that the alternative (the hacks couldn't even bother to create new characters so they cloned some) is much better, but still.
No, that won't happen. The reason for Owain, Severa and Inigo being in this game is explained in a two-part DLC, but since Tae doesn't have them on this file we won't be seeing them.

As for the actual update, note that Saizo said the "first born sons" traditionally take up the mantle of the name Saizo. One of the hiccups of marrying him to Azura is that this responsibility should technically fall to Shigure, since he carries Lucina's trait of always being the eldest child in any of Azura's marriages. Whoops.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

But this actually isn't true? Shigure is the younger brother for Saizo, Ryoma, and Xander's kids and the older brother to everyone else. For all the things the game gets wrong with regards to the kids, I'm pretty sure it does get this one right.
I don't see that mentioned in their sibling supports or anywhere else. But, leave it to Fates to not completely explain poo poo and expect the player to roll with it.

Although, blizzardvizard does raise an excellent point that thanks to the vaguely explained Deeprealms' concept of time, it is entirely possible for Shigure and Asugi to be twins, meaning the title of eldest child could have been settled via some other means like a coin flip.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mighty Midori is probably one of the better executed children characters, in that she has a personality that's not one single gimmick (see: Asugi and Kana). I've mainly run her as a Mechanist with excellent results, even though her personal skill basically screams "Hey, you know how we made Merchant into a silly gimmick class? Here's a character we specifically made to take advantage of that gimmick!". Of course, like all of the kids her mother does lend to how effective Midori can be (except Shigure, who's the opposite case), so keep that in mind.

Candace is an interesting boss character, as she has a voiced defeat quote and has a critical hit/skill activation cut-in (along with a unique character model), leading to some speculation that she was planned to be a playable character. There are a few of those bosses in the game, but the majority are on the Conquest path.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Carlioo posted:

Midori means green right? Feels like her name doesn't make sense with red hair color.

...Actually, does any of the women in Fates have green hair?
An interesting quirk is that Midori's eyebrows never change color to match her mother's hair color, so they'll always be her default green hair color. Or it's due to lack of editing oversight, you make the call.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You'd think the gang would be commenting on all these enemy troops cloaked in a purpleish flame that renders them invisible, especially seeing the mix of Hoshidan and Nohrian classes running about. And that these exact kinds of enemies were involved in the death of Queen Mikoto.

But nope, the plot wants you to ignore this and move on to killing Garon. Or to be specific, it's screaming: "Hey, you want answers? Go play the Revelation route."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The other quirky thing about Mitama is that it's more than likely she inherited her star-shaped pupils from her father, meaning Azama has those same pupils as well. She's also the only character in the game with a distinct portrait change that's not one of the usual "eyes/mouth/brow" changes, wherein she snaps her brush in half as part of her angry portrait.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It's like the writers put down all the descriptions of Nohr and then thought everything sounded rational and clear. When in fact the execution is so hilarious it loops around and becomes stupid. I mean, Hoshido has border forts and potentially (only assuming here because it never really gets mentioned) a ninja spy network; why did none of those troops ever report on how the sky over their neighbors is almost constantly pitch black or report on how little resources there are in Nohr? This is prime world-building material that should have been brought up by now, not in a single conversation in the back end of Birthright. Just chalk this up to yet another thing the editors (and especially the writers in this case) should have paid attention to but chose not to for whatever dumb reason.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Space Bat posted:

Do we learn that the people of Nohr also commit genocide against the laguz and so we also should super double hate them or some poo poo?
Nope, we were the ones committing the genocide on the Wolfskins! No really, we straight-up annihilated Keaton and his pack back when we faced him on Mount Garou. As far as Birthright is concerned, all Wolfskin are gone for good thanks to Corrin's actions.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Somehow, two annoying characters become significantly more amusing when they're focusing their annoying traits on each other. Also, for AradoBalanga: "more than likely" only counts when what you're talking about isn't stated outright; I didn't say so before because I don't know if the spoiler policy extends to the supports and decided to err on the side of caution.
No problem, I completely forgot Azama says it in his C support with Mitama. :downs:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So yes, the secret is out of the bag. Shura was the guy who kidnapped Azura from Nohr way back when. Because doing the exact same criminal act as the kingdom you've decried as being corrupt and evil is totally how you prove to the world that you are the good guys, right?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Okay, I have to call this out: Kiragi shot at a Wyvern Rider with his bow. How is the Wyvern Rider still alive after taking super effective damage?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Honestly, Kiragi with Hana as a mom is pretty good. She'll give him a boost to his strength and speed, and doesn't hurt his skill, and these are pretty much the only stats that really matter for an archer.
Plus, Kiragi can promote into Kinshi Knight and pick up the Air Superiority skill, granting him a +30 Hit/Avoid versus flying enemies. So all he needs to watch out for are the few enemy Kinshi Knights and their bows on the map, and he'll be alright.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Kiragi, unlike many of the kids, seems to have a positive relationship with his dad and hasn't developed any serious mental health issues from being locked away in the deeprealms. He seems like a cool guy.
This is why Kiragi leans to being one of the better kids in the game. His supports are relatively fun (except with his father, but mostly due to Takumi being Takumi) and he's having a blast sniping stuff. I have to give credit to his voice actor for managing to bring that bubbly personality across and not making it too annoying. Someone with Kiragi's personality is very easy to overdo and screw up, so it's nice to see that at least the voice direction and ADR staff for Fates were not asleep at the wheel here for a change.

Also, fun fact: there's a bug involving Shigure and the mess hall when he gets good or great food where Kiragi's goofy giggle voice clip plays instead of a Shigure voice clip. Admittedly, a quality assurance sweep would probably have caught that bug, but I would be amazed if such a sweep was even run on this game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I say make Kiragi into a Kinshi Knight. That's usually how I've run him and he's been wonderful there. Plus, he's got a decent lance rank thanks to the Offspring Seal, so you don't have to worry about bows being spread too thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Yukimura - Another standard prepromote, with high base stats and nonexistent growths. Problem is, by this point the guys you started with are probably better than him. His personal seems marginally usable, at least, and he's got Shuriken so he can debuff enemies for your real fighters, but that's probably the most you'll be doing with him. As a character... wait, he's a character?
He's semi-important to Azura's backstory because guess who came up with the plan kidnap her? Yukimura. Which is only mentioned like...once I think.

• Locked thread