Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Corrin's dragon form looks like some kind of lame tryhard legendary pokemon from a romhack.

Also Fates may have a bad plot but the gameplay is aces. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Honestly Archers are so good in this game there's no harm in deploying more than one. Bows are brutal. Plus Setsuna's the best, anyway. Victory, victory~

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tae posted:

I don't think anyone's using scrolls at this rate for the rest of the game, outside of kids

magic is so bad

Orochi ended up being one of my most useful units on my Birthright run just because of the sheer overwhelming bullshit power of a certain scroll, plus the hordes of slow, high DEF/low RES enemies Birthright's lategame throws at you. In Conquest there's only one mage that isn't borderline unusable though, and most of the hybrid units that can use tomes almost never have a reason to.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Has there ever been a postmortem by Nintendo or any of the writers as to why the writing for Fates is so sloppy? "A young Lord is torn between their family on both sides of a terrible war" is great idea for a story, but they could hardly have messed it up any worse than what we got.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tae posted:

Any other thoughts on this?

Do the DLC classes include the paid ones that came out a while after the game did? I'd like to see those shown off, I didn't buy them.

Endorph posted:

here's your postmortem: the game had 20 separate writers. 20 people. for comparison, path of radiance had 4. imagine 20 people all trying to give their own ideas for how a story should progress. now imagine those 20 people trying to work within the context of a video game, that has to have battles to go with every plot beat. now imagine those 20 people trying to tell three separate but intertwining stories. now imagine those 20 people having to write 80+ characters. now imagine those 20 people trying to keep any of that consistent between them.

I'm pretty ignorant how these things usually go, but surely plenty of games with at least acceptable stories have had similarly huge writing teams. Besides, there must have been some degree of compartmentalization, with some writers working on the core plot for one of the campaigns, others working on supports, etc. Obviously some things would be lost with that many people working together, but I really feel like the reason why Fates's story is such a mess has to be more complex than "too many cooks".

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

does it really have to be complex?

And yeah, games can often have as many writers, and there's some compartmentalization to be sure, but the issue is how this game was written. shin kobayashi submitted a script, then they rewrote that, then they rewrote that, then they came up with revelations and rewrote that. that much we know for certain, since kobayashi's talked about what was in his original script and what wasn't (hinoka didn't exist, for instance). And revelations is, without spoiling anything, very obviously an extremely late addition.

That makes a lot more sense, then - the original story coming from an outside source and then being iterated upon a bunch of times internally with the idea of having a third DLC campaign that the original writer never planned for explains a lot

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

BrightWing posted:

Steroid Redemption for Hyato. Class him over to Oni Savage. :black101:

Seconding this because I just realized it means Hayato's tiny wizard nerdlet head on giant swole oni savage body.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Huh, I don't think I ever realized you could activate Dragon Fang and not turn into a stupid-looking dragon hybrid.

Only the player character classes have the animations for that, every other class just treats it like Luna or Sol and gives it a slightly flasher than normal attack animation.

Also I gotta say, your update schedule is insane, Tae.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Carlioo posted:

Midori means green right? Feels like her name doesn't make sense with red hair color.

...Actually, does any of the women in Fates have green hair?

Corrin :v:

Most of the kid characters in this game are boring but MIGHTY MIDORI!!! is definitely one of the few exceptions. Give her a parent who can cross-class into a magic class so she can achieve her true destiny of being a literal weed wizard.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I guess it's only to be expected, siding with the murderous invading gaijin and not beautiful and noble and proper not-Japan.

They're actually kinda trying to give some kind of negative trait to the Hoshidans in the dialogue there - They kind of just automatically assume that because the assassination of Mikoto was carried out by Nohrians, all Nohrians are evil. Ryoma comes across as incredibly close-minded and more interested in sticking it to the Nohrians than in what's actually best for Corrin.

That being said, if you think this is bad, it's all downhill from here.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

just feed owain every +magic stat booster in the game. There's 3 magic users total in the first gen of conquest and Elise and the other dark mage already have absurdly high magic, so who else even needs them?

This is what I did on my Conquest Lunatic run and it made Odin one of the backbone units on my team. ELDRITCH SMACKDOWN

Similarly you can do the same with Goddess Icons and Arthur to almost completely mitigate his luck/pskill, especially since Goddess Icons give +4 LCK instead of +2 like in the other games.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh gently caress yes it's my boy Benny :neckbeard:

I paired him up with Beruka in my first Conquest playthrough and they carried so hard. I think Benny had something like ~55 defense when paired up by the end of the game.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The music on this map coming up is one of my favorite tracks in the game.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Here's the sweet as hell track that plays on this map. I know it's looked down upon to say your own link is a pro click, buuuut...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

edit: actually, editing out this post as it's basically just discussing the entire map's mechanics before the LP gets to it

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 15, 2017

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So on the Lunatic version of this map, there are some miserable motherfuckers with Pass, Life and Death, and Beaststones+, meaning they have 30+ SPD, can move through your tanky units to hit the squishy ones, and deal an extra 10 damage per attack to them. It's pretty loving frustrating, especially since every kitsune has beast killer and drat near every Nohr unit is on horseback.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

What.

What.

:psyduck:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I'm pretty sure he also has a Hexing Rod on lunatic. :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

"Shadow Yato" is a goofy-rear end name and I'm really surprised the translators couldn't think of something a little less ridiculous-sounding like "Umbral Yato" or "Shrouded Yato" or something like that.

After having played through FEE:SoV I really hope the next FE games keep some of the features it has, like full voice acting and Mila's Turnwheel. I like that there's fewer supports, but I feel are just because it's FE3 and the next switch game will probably have a glut of supports again. Gat drat, though, it makes the supports in the game so much better when they're fully voice acted and there's only a few carefully written ones and basically none of them end in "Also, let's gently caress" as opposed to all of them.

Mila's Turnwheel on the other hand is just a magnificent feature that needs to be in every game in the turn-based strategy genre going forward.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think Takumi became a spooky ghost in Conquest roughly about the same time he becomes one in Birthright. I think he was "dead" way before chapter 23. Not that it changes much.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

conquest's map variety is for poo poo and it has some pretty terrible maps thrown in there too, like wind village or fox village. it's basically just a bunch of tiny cramped boxes with gimmicks of varying stupidity. some of the maps are still good (soleil's, the first and third takumi maps) but this game desperately needed some kind of cog of destiny equivalent, or two.

More than that, I kind of dislike how much they rely on random, contextless gimmicks to provide difficulty and variety when games like FE7 and FE5 manage a lot of vareity (and difficulty in FE5's case) with mostly just the basic mechanics. Battle Before Dawn wouldn't be improved if there were random pots that gave you -2 def when you broke them but if you used a dragon vein when the moon is full they'd give you +2 def instead.

Not to say this game's map design is terrible, or anything, I just think they had some good maps and then some maps that were trying way too hard to be good. If you could swap out conquest's worst maps with Birthright's best ones, it'd be a lot better, not just because you're replacing bad maps with decent ones but because it'd give the game more variety and some breather maps.

I really like this assessment. I love Conquest but god drat if the game doesn't feel absolutely oppressive if you're playing it on hard or lunatic. Every mission after about Ch16 or so has a gimmick that requires you to play in a very specific way, and you just get fatigued trying to work out how to get through some of the serious poo poo late game lunatic throws at you. It would have been nice to have had just one or two maps like Cog of Destiny or Victory or Death where the gimmick is less "Here's a squad of snipers with cpu-only range 1-2 bows who seal strength and have counter magic" and more "Here's a wave of lovely cavalry units for you to level up a couple of flex units on" in the endgame. It feels like there's just no chance whatsoever to level up your benched units if you think you want to try them, even FE7 had arenas for that.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Arthur returned to his true calling, justice. :allears:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I never got around to playing Revelations, so I thought you guys were exaggerating. Jesus, how did they drop the ball this bad :psyduck:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

actually none of fe1, 3, 4, 5, or 6 have boat maps. 2 introduced them and then they were shelved until fe7, but then they were in every game afterwards except 10.

The original FE3 didn't have boat maps? That's the one that SoV is a remake of, right?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a remake of FE2

Ohh I thought uh, Shadow Dragon? New Mystery of the Emblem? was a remake of FE2, but I guess it's FE3 then?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

Because it is time to start pairing of units from different nations.

I voted for Selena in the hopes that Tae pairs her with Subaki and makes her her own grandma

Spoiling because I can't remember if we got that kid in Birthright.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rangpur posted:

:golfclap:

On the other hand he does have a major sweet tooth...

I'm sure Gaius has solved plenty of problems with ice cream cones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Xander named his kid after his sword :downs:

• Locked thread