Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Xander's Chivalry is actually good in many situations. He's good leading the charge against a group of new enemies and holding chokepoints from advancing threats. The cool thing is that Leo (Spoilers: Leo joins)'s personal actually is sort of a mirror to Xander's in a way: Leo gets a boost when he fights enemies that AREN'T at full HP, making him better to pick off weakened enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

InwardChaos posted:

Raijinto is even more insane compared to the other 1-2 range swords, because it has the additional range without any of the downsides.
In order to incentivize using actual ranged weapons (bows/magic/hidden weapons), "ranged melee" weapons, like Javelins and Hand Axes have the downside of not being able to trigger crits, skills, or double attacks.
Raijinto, on the other hand? It laughs as Ryoma unleashes skill boosted crits from outside of the opponent's attack range, and then repeats it again.

Yeah, off the top of my head the only disadvantage is that him activating Astra from 2 Range has him look loving absurd. And that's not really a downside, just a visual problem.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where are Kaze and Rinkah's growths?

Oh, and something about Kaze's personal: The chance is based on KAZE'S Luck, not whoever he's paired with. It basically gives the person he's paired with Miracle, which sounds a lot better than you think, considering Miracle is learned in a healing class.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well that was dumb and a bit contrived.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CptWedgie posted:

...Come to think of it, I think that dragon's face looks more like an orca's or something. Is Corrin turning into a whale with legs or something?

I always thought he looked like a deer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I always rationalized the Conquest choice with Corrin thinking "I literally just met you people (the Hoshidans), versus them (the Nohrians) who I've lived with my whole life and, barring Father, have always treated me well and have been kind to me."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Azura actually makes for a surprisingly good Attack Stance user, with that good Strength growth (seriously, it's higher than RD Ike's Strength growth) she can offset the "half damage when support attacking" fairly well. Her personal also helps with her support-based playstyle by allowing her to play an off-healer just by existing and being close to dudes.

Sakura is a pretty powerful support unit who helps in defensive situations (unfortunately, Birthright is Awakening 2.0, which means it's a lot of Route and Kill Boss objectives) and when she promotes she has good options: A renamed Sage class that unfortunately has a low-ish Luck cap, hampering her high growth, but giving her great magic offense, and an alternate that has a higher Staff rank, but whose's weapon is Bows. On the plus side, she gets a higher Luck cap and there is a Bow that deals magic damage so she can contribute there, at least on Revelation.

Kaze's role is simple: He's a solid dodge-tank, if he gets lucky he can mage-kill.

Rinkah's a decent tank, which is actually really good because Hoshidan classes have problems with being squishy, so she helps take the heat off. Her personal helps offset her average Strength growth.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why can't IntSys just call them Daggers or Shurikens on the whole?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

because shurikens are different from daggers

Well, Nohrian and Hoshidan weapons are named differently.

Nohr/Hoshido
Swords/Katanas
Lances/Naginatas
Axes/Clubs
Bows/Yumi
Tomes/Scrolls
Staves/Rods
Daggers/Shuriken

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CptWedgie posted:

Well, Rinkah's in denial. Kinda trying too hard to come off as Ms. Hardass; I mean, there's nothing wrong with a sweet tooth, right?

Rinkah: "I-it's not like I have a sweet tooth or anything, b-baka!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh, it gets better.

A future character's personal skill is specifically relegated to My Castle battles. As in, the character might as well not have a personal skill at all.

Yeah, to me, it seems like the child character's PS's are either really good (Selkie's passive AOE damage just by existing, Shigure's healing Rallies, Sophie's passive Defense debuffs) or really unusable (Nina's only works next to a male-male pair, Dwyer, which you mentioned, Velouria's Luck% healing).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hana + Killing Edge = PWNAGE

Seriously, that Skill growth though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Drop Subaki, give the Robe to Hana.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
His personal skill should help him with his low level. Plus, he can actually hit more than once!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Trivia! Raider weapons strip enemies down to their skivvies, but what they wear is dependent on their origin.

So Nohrian males wear boxer briefs. Hoshidan males wear... I'm not sure what to call them. Like a loincloth of sorts.

That's pretty funny and I never noticed that before!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Shouldn't Kaden be on the list? I know you can use him on this map.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

of the major fe4 antagonists the only ones like that are manfroy and julius. and julius is literally satan so he has an excuse.

Hilda is pretty comically evil.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Laslow is pretty handsome.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 7, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I-It's not like I'm Severa or anything, you idiot! B-Baka!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Illusory Yumi seems like a fantastic Mage-killer weapon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
In case it wasn't obvious, Keaton is Kaden's Conquest equivalent.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 11, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

We are literally a whole game away in chapters from Keaton, dude

Alright, got rid of the bit about Keaton's growths.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

♪ Who's a good girl? You're a good girl! Yes you are!

Wow. Kaden is really in touch with his feminine side.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is the writing (in general, that is) as bad in the Japanese version?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I actually had this weird theory as for why Priestess's got Bows to use. Basically, it was that someone on the dev team was replaying Geneaology of the Holy War, looked at Aideen and Lana, and thought "Hey! Wouldn't it be cool if they could actually put their Minor Ulir blood to use by giving them Bows on promotion?". I thought the same thing had happened with Patty and Outlaws as well.

I'm probably wrong.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH THE FLORA SCENE WHY INT SYS WHY UGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

On the subject of Great Knight vs. Paladin, Birthright has a minor problem of a lot of characters on it being made of glass, so I went Great Knight there so that I could have a solid tank. On Conquest, however, I went Paladin for Silas (You get another Cavalier and two Knights who can also go Great Knight, so it matters less) because I went and married him (like Tae, went Cover Canon) and he will always be Femui's knight in shining armor (for all the writing criticisms, I actually find the Silas x F!Corrin support chain really sweet and heartwarming).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

LordHippoman posted:

Stuff like this is why I hope the "Avatar can marry EVERYONE" thing gets dropped from FE15. Or they could just drop the player avatar thing entirely, but after Awakening I really doubt that's happening.

(Although how much people love Robin VS how much they hate Corrin is always cathartic.)

FE15 is Shadows of Valentia. The Switch game we know nothing about is the 16th game.

On that note, I'd just like to ask what everyone thinks about Shadows of Valentia. I'm really excited for it, as I never played the original Gaiden and it DID inspire a lot of changes that are now commonplace (world maps, grinding, etc.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man, you guys thought the marrying siblings thing was bad? It has NOTHING on the confusing, awful, terrible, and flat-out stupid mess that is the Deeprealms, or as I mockingly call them despite not being a Dragon Ball fan, Hyperbolic Time Chambers. I'm only starting writing and I know how bad this is.

On that note, I am in possession of a video outlining how a moderately famous FE youtuber would have re-written Fates that I will post at an appropriate time, when the things it outlines will not be spoilers.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

funfact: fates' setting is never given a name. there is no name for this continent. hoshido has a name, nohr has a name, there are some individual countries and territories with a name, but the overall continent is never given a name, and neither is the world itself. The wiki literally just has to call it 'fire emblem fates continent.'

that kinda summarizes the worldbuilding right there.

Most of the people I talk with either call it Nohrshido or Fatesland.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Glazius posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I am completely satisfied that the Nohrian princess openly journeying with us has a mysterious crystal she isn't showing anyone.

That's my problem with Azura: She's mysterious and aloof completely for the sake of being mysterious and aloof, and the explanation for WHY she's like that is easily the third dumbest thing in the game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

Thracia has the best overall design and an actually pretty good story, I feel. Not by 'FE's dismally low standards,' it's just a decent story that takes advantage of the medium.

I've always had a soft spot for FE4's story. With Shadows of Valentia coming out, I'm holding out hope for a Genealogy remake. But I'm weird like that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Here's how I would have done it:

Have them have crazy high stats everywhere except for their weak spots.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

BlazeEmblem posted:

In that case, they would just dodge everything and hit (and they would hit with "crazy high" skill) like a truck. Twice.

In my opinion, being challenged is better than being bored.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And now, I can say this:

Remember the beach and hot spring DLCs that gave 4 1st gens and 4 second gens CGs in Awakening? The eight that got picked there were chosen based on a Japanese popularity poll, which allowed them to reappear here: Owain, Severa and Inigo have become Odin, Selena and Laslow, Lucina has an Amiibo appearance (alongside Robin, Ike and Marth), for Awakening's children characters.

We just met Gaius's appearance as Asugi, and Chrom got in via the Before Awakening DLC, so I ask this for newcomers:

Which two Awakening 1st gen characters also got CGs in the Beach DLC, and consequently, appear here?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

theshim posted:

And, thanks to Azura being his mother, has all the durability of a wet paper towel.

I'd say more "dry leaf".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

Kaze was a kid when Corrin was taken by Garon, if you want a range.

My headcanon for the Hoshidan royalty's ages:

Ryoma: 18-21
Hinoka: 16-18
Corrin: 14-16
Takumi: 12-15
Sakura: 10-13

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Her adulthood isn't modern standards. It's Middle ages standards.

Yeah, in actual medieval times, royal girls usually got married in between the ages of 11 to 14, and royal men weren't much better at 15-18. So it actually sort of makes sense. Doesn't mean we can't find it weird and stupid.

Also! Hoshidan non-royal cast age headcanon go!

Rinkah: 19-22
Kaze and Saizo: 20-23
Kaden: 19-21
Hayato: 13-15
Orochi: 24-28
Reina: 29-33
Kagero: 23-25
Azama: 26-28
Setsuna: 17-20
Hinata: 16-18
Oboro: 15-18
Hana: 14-16
Subaki: 17-20

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Must... Resist... Urge... to kill... IntSys... writers...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

Because writing a video game is freaking impossible. Pretty much every possible good idea you can have inevitably gets sacrificed for the sake of gameplay, or marketing, or whatever. Fates is just an incredibly egregious example, but even games I think are well-written have more than a few moments of filler, odd pacing, or half-finished ideas.

I don't really envy the writers, and I don't really blame them, either. Blame whatever chucklehead thought the three games gimmick was a good idea and that they also needed to get those three games out in under two years.

This. This so hard. Which is why I love a few certain series (the Trails series, the Persona games, etc.) so much, because they manage to have great stories and stellar writing in the areas they focus on (World building in the former, characters in the latter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Keira

• Locked thread