Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
From the OSHA Thread:

FCKGW posted:

It's getting a tad worse

And here's the emergency overflow, basically just the side of that mountain there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA52L0eabNo

Dam update: the hillside is getting wrecked.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
As a human being, I feel for the people suffering from this failure of bureaucracy and investment in infrastructure

As a civil engineer, I enjoy watching poo poo getting wrecked on a grand scale.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

EugeneJ posted:

Their plan is to drop bags full of rocks into the hole with helicopters

:psyduck:

American_Civil_Infrastructure_Maintenance.txt

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

he's not wrong about the evacuations tho

Oh Jeez - the catchment for Oroville Dam is not small.
It might manage to mitigate the current overflow without the auxiliary spillway failing, but there's still a hell of a lot of water on it's way in over the next week.

Serak fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 13, 2017

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Spaced God posted:

What the gently caress kind of units of measurement are acre feet? Is that volume? Why is Imperial so hard :psyduck:

I need these numbers in football fields and olympic swimming pools, stat!

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

like a cigarette should posted:

Antifa just showed up and are throwing bricks and molotovs at the dam to protest trump

this doesn't even make sense but I'm laughing anyway

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Space Crabs posted:

I think that's a matter of semantics at that point.

If the emergency spillway fails then the lake will just drain out that entire hillside and the dam itself will effectively be useless as the water will have a different outlet. It kinda doesn't matter if technically the portion labelled "Dam" hasn't breached at that point.

If the spillway breaches, you only lose the top 30ft ( think that's the number they mentioned) of water, which - don't get me wrong - is still a wall of water coming downstream, but the dam will still hold the majority.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

exploded mummy posted:

It's the difference between 30 feet and 900.

True, but the top 30 ft would be over a MUCH bigger surface area than even the 30 below it, so volume-wise it's not easy to judge

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Space Crabs posted:

thank god we have so many experts on the geological composition of the landscape in and around this particular dam who are also psychics that can predict exactly what will happen

Thank god that the interaction of water, soil and concrete is an arcane mystery about which we cannot even speculate & only The Lord himself knows the truth!

Or maybe we're all just listening to the experts talk.

Serak fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2017

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

kind of lazy and irresponsible for media to report this as a dam failure when it is spillway

too bad media gets its news from Twitter now

It's really not - if the spillway fails, there's still gonna be enough water heading downstream to kill a whole lot of people if they don't evacuate.
If they start claiming that 'only' the spillway might fail but the dam will be OK , there are certain to be people who ignore the warning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Wikkheiser posted:

GSV What Is The Most Cost Effective Solutio

:golfclap:

• Locked thread