Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AAA games tend to be competently done experiences with nothing all that great or interesting going for them. Rarely bad. Rarely if ever great. Almost never creative/different.
Indie games have a wider range. Great games, terrible games, things that are hardly games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think supporting Projekt Red (Witcher folks) is not a thing people should do. Of course that's kind of a losing battle because while gamers may pretend to care about overworked employees they don't care enough to not buy the game they want. gently caress the Epic store exclusives..... OH WAIT THEY HAVE THAT GAME I WANT poo poo I HAVE TO HAVE IT.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't really care that much about ethical business practices in video games, of all things. Like, I don't really feel the need to turn every hobby or consumption habit into some kind of political minefield, in the end its just video games. Its not like they're poisoning a water supply.

Yeah yeah I know it's a bummer to think about. Maybe if we ignore it and give them money they'll change their behavior? I don't expect people to do research, I sure as gently caress don't but when a company ends up being lovely enough that I hear about it? Yeah I'll probably not buy what they're selling. I probably wasn't going to buy it anyway.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

its not complicated, i understand the entire situation, i just don't really care that much, I care about the cgi boobs that are gonna be in cyberpunk. i wonder if you hold every single purchase you make up to the same scrutiny of your sacred video games

Where on earth did you get the idea that I think video games are sacred? What the gently caress? Why yes I do take into account if I know a company is poo poo when I purchase things. I'm not going to research poo poo but if I know about it? Yeah I'll take it into account. That being said Amazon is too drat convenient.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

Lmao "CD Projekt Red have terrible business practices, and treat employees badly, but man that next day Prime shipping"

Yep that was the intent. Amazon is poo poo and taking over/already has taken over the world but the alternative might be leaving the house. Can you imagine that?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 10, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

My unpopular opinion is that you should buy video games you think are good and not buy video games you think are bad. It's a much better system than futile attempts to save the world through Woke Purchasing Techniques (sponsored by Amazon Prime).

I like when people use "being woke" as an insult, it really makes it easy to ID who is a lovely person. Like they've figured out using "SJW" is too obvious and so have moved on. No one here is trying to save the world, we just don't pretend our purchases are completely divorced from how companies behave to make ourselves feel better about being selfish.

As far as the Witcher game goes I like my games less talky more stabby. In fact I'm so sick of games that drag their games out with anything but game play. Travel, lovely UIs, "setup" time etc. Just let me play your loving game and stop trying to pad your time played metric.

I also don't appreciate the two emailed ads I got for Cyberpunk from Steam and GOG.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Honestly I agree that this is a good thing to do. But when people make their stands in the dumbest places possible I'm gonna mock them. Dumping products like Dungeons & Dragons because one designer was bad on twitter, or CD Projekt Red because the Polish computer touchers are working too many hours is ok. But if you dump them for those slights while still believing your Amazon Prime is just too cool and good to get rid of then you're a loving tool and deserve mockery (not directed at you, but someone in this thread recently).

Like it's one thing to go for Activism in Purchasing. But getting up in arms over random entertainment products while completely abiding the gross damage being cause by mega corps like Amazon is peak slactivism and it's lame as hell.

Things aren't generally all or nothing and people who perpetuate that are doing harm.

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I didn't even check, I just assumed it had been someone else because who would stick their flag on that hill.

Duck and Cover you're lame as hell lol.

I think you should try reading the the discussion before jumping in to call people lame, or up in arms. Like how is that productive at all? I'm guilty of it too from time to time, but at least I feel foolish when my skimming misinterpreted something. Oh poo poo guess being a hypocrite makes what's being said wrong! I should just pretend to be perfect.

Ruffian Price posted:

:ssh: the conversations are the gameplay

That's fair. Like a game can do that and not be for me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 10, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

No but you should probably not support the worst loving company on the planet and then complain about computer programmers having to work too many hours lmao

I can and I did. Bad thing x does not make bad thing y not bad.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

And it is why people are calling you a loving idiot hth

Oh I don't have to feel bad about my bad actions cause the guy telling me also does bad things. I mean surely we can't both be doing things that are bad. Give me a break. I'm not perfect, I don't expect people to be. I'm going to bow out here, it's gotten too off topic and I have somewhere to be. (I know it's rare but I do sometimes leave the house).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

Try to be home when your iPhone arrives from Amazon

I prefer my organic ethically sourced phone. It's cool though I got it from Aliexpress probably nothing wrong with that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 11, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

You prefer to keep giving Bezos money and none of what you say about Polish programmers plights has any weight behind it retard

Don't call people retards. I like how people will do anything in their power to attack the person merely saying "hey company x is poo poo maybe think about that before supporting (by purchasing their products)". Man what a buzz kill! Well he buys things on Amazon from time to time guess I can continue not feeling bad for supporting bad companies!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 11, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

Shut up retard

Don't call people retards.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

cuck and cover i don't even think you play video games you just post about not buying them

I've always been the type to play some games a lot. In these modern days I find very few games that really grab me like UT/Nox/Myth 2 did in the past. Let's see though as far as my terrible choice in modern games go I have the following on my laptops desktop. Played to various degrees.

Path of Exile (I don't generally play this on the laptop but I can make trades)
The Binding of Isaac Rebirth (unnecessarily juvenile setting but I did enjoy the game play)
Into the Breach (good)
Dead Cells (good)
Kingdom Rush Frontier (I like the idea of tower defense but the ones available seem to always suck)
Slay the Spire (good)
Cuphead (good)
Sunless Skies (gently caress you game all you had to do was be pretty/good story Escape Velocity but noooo instead you're so loving slow)
Circle Empires (not good, but whatever)
Baba is You (good but I'm not smart enough)
Forts
Neoverse (I don't think I've even opened this)
Minion Masters.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 11, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

god drat you are a loving dweeb

By golly that's not a nice thing to say. Let me get the soap for that dirty mouth! I think you're really going to drive yourself nuts if you feel obligated to criticize me when I phrase things strangely as I do so with a decent amount of regularity. Also this is the unpopular video game opinions thread and not the "popular opinions towards Duck and Cover" thread maybe keep the attempted insults down to a minimum?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Hit him in the butt with your steampunk top hat to teach him a lesson.

Would such a top hat make me better at video games? I kind of like the steampunk aesthetic in video games but that doesn't yet extend to my personal "fashion".

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

last three games i bought
- cadence of hyrule
- katana zero
- god's trigger

I am amazed that Cadence of Hyrule exists.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's not as though I even really care that much to play it. Like I'd get it if I had a Switch but I'm not buying a Switch for it. It's just, how does it exist? Like did the creator blackmail a Nintendo executive?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i had a college roommate who, he was a chill guy but he was part of a fairly serious raiding guild on an RP server during the onyxia era and i tell you the drama within his own guild was more gripping than an episode of maury with four belligerent potential dads who insist the kid can't possibly be theirs. and sometimes more shocking than finding out that none of them in fact is the father

I like Eve Online drama. I do not like Eve Online.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I enjoyed Bioshock 3 but it did make me wonder how much game is required for a thing to be considered a game. Although I did enjoy what little of the shooting their actually was.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I play games for the gameplay.

I'm sorry the industry is not interested in your business please take it elsewhere. Like TV they would never manipulate you with cheap tricks into watching something lovely. Oh they would? gently caress! I for one can't wait for Dota Underlords (Valve's Auto Chess) to add skins, and loot boxes, and daily quests, and big rear end progress bars, multiple layers of experience. Can't have fun without my digital hats.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

poo poo I forgot I bought that game.

I've seen people play Detroit : Become Human and I'm not sure it qualifies as a game. I'm not saying it's bad I'm just saying at what point is something not a game. Interactive digital story! Yeah that label is totally going to catch on. You can put Cultist Simulator and maybe Sunless Skies/Sea in the same category. I have spoken so it shall be!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

no these are all just video games, you play them like video games and you buy them at the video game store. the gameplay is selecting dialogue choices.

You can also buy Funco Pops at video game store that doesn't make them video games. It doesn't really matter except when someone dumb like me goes in expecting you know a video game and it's all story shoved into a video game. Wait nevermind that does matter since it involves me. gently caress you Sunless games you could have been like a better Escape Velocity but nooooo.

That's not gameplay so much as just a modern choose your own adventure book. It's okay you can come to me with all your is this gameplay questions I'll get you and anyone else sorted out.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

nobody tell him about d&d

No one is saying books cannot contain games and if you wanted an example you probably should have gone with a book that literally contains a game and not just the instructions for a game. Something like a book of Sudoku's or maybe Crosswords. Better yet one of those ones with the special markers that I use to get, it had hangman and other things.

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Ink-Tic-Tac-Toe-Hangman-Activity/dp/B0117XD4KG

I don't think these are the same as the ones I remember but looks like the same idea.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

well gawrsh i've been caught in your trap of faultless logic

You pretty much defined video games as "things people call video games". So I could call anything a video game as long as it's on the computer? You know there's already a term for those wares: software.

You win though keep calling anything a game and we'll keep getting "games" that don't give a poo poo about being fun as long as they get to tell their story. Which would be fine if it's what I expected. Generally though I expect games to at least in theory be focused on being games first, story/atmosphere whatever as part of that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Oh god shut up

It must be nice to have dreams.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Remember when you said this only a month ago

god drat you are a loving dweeb

Okay thanks you totally got me... Witcher is a game with a lot of story but the difference is it totally has enough game play to qualify as a game. Story telling by itself is totally not a game. I was talking about Witcher right? I think I was you took a screenshot for fear of me editing my post (lol) which makes it too much effort for me to go check. I guess I wasn't clear before though so I can see how you thought I was being inconsistent.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 12, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ARPGS are kind of just relaxing when they decide to make things less relaxing they become less enjoyable. See reflect, x damage immunity for what not to do. Like the logical way to make an ARPG hard would make the controls responsive, don't allow/minimize the ability to grind to outlevel/outgear things, make things hard to dodge. Wait did I just make like a Bullet Hell or something like Binding of Isaac which are both not ARPGs.

Warframe sucks because it's f2p poison. For fucks sake it has real time locked content. Oh you want that weapon? Wait 24 hours or I suppose you could spend currency to speed it up.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If i feel like a game is a chore, then i stop playing and never buy any of the games in that series ever again

No no no it's not a chore I just choose to do things I don't enjoy to get at the delicious fun that's going to happen later right? Right? The fun is right there within my grasp. Well I've gotten this far just a little bit further I'll reach that fun! It's not so bad. Maybe it'll be better next expansion.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The only thing that pisses me off is when people lash out over it. Metro Exodus is the best game of 2019 imo and took a ton of online flak and bad user reviews because of the Epic store deal. Something the dev wasn't even aware of until shortly before the game came out. Just such a bullshit reason to dogpile on a game that was already an underdog to begin with.

Ahh yes the small mom and pop Metro! Oh only 3 I thought it was more. Still not exactly small. I think companies should sell their products and people should buy the ones that are good. I'm certainly one of those people who are very reluctant to buy anything that isn't on Steam even though Steam is garbage. Sorry companies I don't want fifty launchers/accounts.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 2, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

So you think it's cool to try and ruin a game/developers reputation, because you don't want to download some poo poo for whatever reason? That's petty as hell.

I don't think that's what you were saying, but otherwise it's not even really relevant to my post so I dunno.

I think them doing something lovely and gamers responding makes sense. Hey guys we're going to go exclusive we know it doesn't benefit you in any way but please don't give negative reviews because of it! Personally I'm just less likely to buy/try your game if you do that poo poo.

Caesar Saladin posted:

flippping out over all the account launchers i need, i can't keep track of all three of them

I also don't want to sign up for Hulu, Amazon prime, Netflix, Hidive, HBO Prime etc.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

a7m2 posted:

all main final fantasy games are boring and the story of every single final fantasy game, including offshoots, is bad

Chocobo Racing is a thing that exists. Now I don't remember if it was all that good but it has chocobo in the title so it can't be bad.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PC plays games. Consoles play games. Cell phones play something that is marketed as games. WAR OVER PEACE REIGNS!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Why do games think the first thing I want is story and not game play? Yes yes yes cutscenes more cutscenes can I play the game yet? Okay tutorials great. How about now? Alright game play time or maybe more cutscenes we'll see. Steamworld Quest is totally guilty of this. As well as having terrible talking sounds. I remember Custom Robo having bad talking sounds as well. Like fine whatever voice acting is expensive but at least make the noises you choose to have instead not terrible.

I think Bastion did it well as I recall, having story as I play. Cutscenes etc. are fine after I've played a bit.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 11, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Whomever said Steamworld Quest is better than Slay the Spire awhile go is wrong. It's like they took Slay the Spire and jammed as many terrible rpg mechanics in as possible. Such as wandering around for "secrets" (maybe if this game had a big open world), chat when there should be none/less, terrible "puzzles" (as in they aren't difficult enough to be really puzzles), cliche dull plot (but steam robots!)."Skippable" cutscenes (skip, play shortish animation, skip again etc). It's also got a worse interface. The card game itself as well as the graphics are solid though.

Oh and it is also guilty of being too many steps to quit. Why do games do that? Bring up menu, quit to main menu, yes I want to quit, dumb animation plays before menu, okay quit game, yes I want to quit.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 13, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I struggle with who/whom but that isn't right is it?

It's certainly possible I am remembering wrong it's not as though I looked it up (if I had it would have been quoted) but my complaints are still valid.

food court bailiff posted:

please do not engage with poster terminal idiot Duck and Cover, i beg you

Don't like my posts? Say why, have a discussion or just ignore them. Being an rear end in a top hat doesn't really accomplish anything besides make yourself feel better. Like it isn't going to stop me from pointing out things I perceive as flaws in video games. If I was wrong, then I was wrong, I don't really care enough to attempt to find the post I'm remembering.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 15, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh poo poo I misinterpreted what someone said! Whelp golly guess you should be hostile towards me. You got me. I probably butcher English (I'm a native speaker so no excuse there) in the majority of posts and suggests no one use me as an example of proper writing. Since it's clear you don't have any particular complaint towards my posts and just the dull people don't like you so I don't like you feeling towards me I'm done talking to you. I'm gonna continue to talk about video games because I like to do that and dislike when things get sidetracked.

Just bought Dicey Dungeons I hope it's good.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 15, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I wish games would focus more on showing game play in their marketing pictures/videos. Like I remember when I could look at those pictures on the box and get an idea of what the game is. Now a days it's cutscenes/UI removed shots but I guess it works because every game seems to do that. Apparently giving the consumer less information leads to more sales.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 21, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lol remember playable demos

I do. They haven't really left they've just changed in name. Open Beta, Beta, Early Access, released game that you refund.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I agree for the most part, but stuff like 4X strategy or RPGs can naturally take some time before you've got more than "move your explorer and move your farmer" or "attack/item/run," but both of those examples can be solved by making the demo a short chunk of gameplay from a few hours in.

Depends on the game really, but "the first couple hours are pretty slow" is a much smaller issue than "given 30 minutes of gameplay from any point in the game, we still can't hold your interest," IMO.

Only the last one is anything like a demo though, and like I said it's a crappy thing to have to try to rely on just to try out a game. Early Access is almost always full-price, and open beta is explicitly "help us break our game" and is almost always marketed to people who are already in for buying the game.

These terms have such undefined nebulous changing meaning that they suck to discuss. I don't disagree. AAA games aren't going to have demos because they suck. Indie games are so cheap I'm not sure a demo is completely necessary. I would still like to at least see what the game is before buying it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What terms? Early access and open beta? Has "open beta" ever meant anything but "free bug/stress testers?"

I'm not even sure what you mean by "AAA games don't have demos because they suck." The developers suck and therefore won't make demos? The games suck and are therefore not worth making a demo of?

Open beta has meant everything from "stress test" to "demo" to "preorder bonus" typically varying degrees of each. I certainly remember games that probably could have used some stress testing (Anarchy Online launch was uhh something). Beta now is Early Access. Except Beta/Early Access isn't even really like the buggy Betas of old. Except when they are.

AAA games don't have demos because they would gain nothing through having demos. I'm unconvinced there are enough people on the fence for Assassin Creed 20th cooler hoodie edition that would be become buyers if there was a demo and I imagine the numbers support my belief. (because if they didn't the big money making companies would totally put the demos out)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Just go to youtube and watch someone play. It's like some online paradigm where if you do price comparisons to get the best deal it's all available but you have to manually search and research everything and corporations aren't going to do it for you, in fact they will swing the other way hoping to exploit peoples' laziness.

Hard to demo when they can't complete games keeping them in eternal Early Access even after the official release, modern games are so broken that making a smaller working version is hopeless.

Jokes on them I am lazy and if they can't be bothered to post actual game play I can't be bothered to go hunt for someone playing it.