Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

All I remember of it was the one boss fight where you fought the nipples of a giant naked woman.

Then you didnt make it to the end because nobody forgets Satan’s pendulous havok enabled dong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

What's TPS? Tactical Person Shooter?

I actually like the idea of calling 3d games where you shoot people Person Shooters

Third Person Shooter, as opposed to FPS.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont know why youre telling him that and not the game developer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

This reminds me of Colony Wars, I wonder how those games held up.

Not as well as youd hope but not terrible even with advancements in design since their release.

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Devil May Cry series has very bad platforming. Why does it want me to item hunt with a fixed camera and awkward jumping?

Wait till DMC4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ok go etc posted:

Half Life 3 will never come out

Good because Half-Life 2 was trash and its episodes somehow plummeted further in quality

Edit: oh whoops, need to include an unpopular opinion. Final Fantasy 8 is better than 9.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solvalou posted:

Virtual On is a seriously underrated game.

Sadly the series is now light novel games about highschool wizards.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

also if it doesn't have tank controls it isn't a survival horror game :colbert:

If we redefine “survival horror” to mean “bad games” then sure

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only reason to play Life is Strange is to play long enough to hate Chloe, shoot her, quit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

This is why Dragon Quest is so good because you grind unforgettable enemies

Ive never beaten the warcrimes denier super boss and his lovely midi special attack.

Also dragon quest games are absolute trash, lower than garbage like Code of Dragon:VFD

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Dragon Quest is extremely good. It knows what it wants to be an excels at being that.

Bad? Forgettable? Tedious? Lacking in gameplay hooks? Outdated?

All of the above?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Graphic posted:

i just hope its Wakanda or the Arab cats

if it's more white people and loving dragons again I'm not going to be enthused

Prepare for magic scotland and selling 12 million copies launch day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They'd better drat have loving hilarious accents

They do, but it's because they only hire one voice actor for everyone in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Graphic posted:

and 20 minutes on youtube does the rest.

I felt my favorite game of all-time for years was Xenogears, but when I tried to play it on an emulator 5-6 years ago I wondered how I could like such a boring game so much when I also had Tekken and MGS and other fun poo poo

Maybe you used the making of Lunar trick to jump to the end of the game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Fantasy Adventure > Link's Awakening DS, and it's not all that close.

Im not going to listen to your opinion until you explain how the gently caress you solved the figure 8 in the desert without a strategy guide?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Jim Sterling is a scholar and a gentleman. I will not hear his name disparaged :colbert:

Hes pretty wrong about this along with polygon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

So is the game a microtransaction nightmare or not?

If nightmare means “there exists a feature that permanently doubles your xp gains that costs real money and completely breaks the games intended difficulty curve”, yes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

It's a single player game where you can pay real money for XP boosts. i dont think its unreasonable to assume the default XP gain will be adjusted to manipulate people into buying XP boosts.

Devil May Cry 4 had this. Nobody remembers it because the game wasnt tuned around it, much like Odyssee isnt. Its basically charging people for cheatcodes since the game comes with two different forms of easy mode.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not easily but a friend and I finally figured it out.

I remember being stuck on some stupid part in Awakening even longer.

e: Actually I think it was his older brother, he didn't play games but would help us figure poo poo out if we bugged him.

Possibly why he now works at Google and I post about game boy.

You are the first person ive ever encountered who isnt like “I love final fantasy adventure but its a shame the games bugged and you cant proceed after the desert”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best mario game is 6 Golden Coins

But seriously marios power up system outside the ones where mario gets health is bad and archaic and sunshine and odyssey only control ok because they allow you to not have to earn a powerup to escape from being saddled with marios default moveset.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

I'd have loved if breath of the wild gave you one sword and told you to get on with it

Also if the cooking system hadnt been simultaneously awfu to use and completely broken.

And climbing hadnt been affected by rain

And chests been differentiared depending on contents

And shrines were interesting

And armor sets were better handled

And sidequests werent trash

And horses were better

And there was enemy variety

And if the hundred year timeskip meant anything

And you know what its trash all the way around

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

BOTW despite its many flaws is one of the greatest video game experiences ever made

Im sorry that the only videogames youve ever played are Breath of the Wild and The Fifth Element

Barudak
May 7, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Everyone I've ever discussed BOTW with who didn't like it pretty much ignored the environmental effects so I guess if you don't like being creative with combat then you won't like it :shrug:

These tend to also be the people who think master mode just means you go around without weapons all the time because they break their weapons constantly like a doofus

Oh man I forgot about the absolutely poo poo environmental affects and terrible theme park layout of the world. Thanks for brining up more complaints.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's real subtle. The only way to really know, is that everything around you is destroyed and the characters all talk about how the world ended throughout the entire game.

They say that, but like everyone you encounter has lives for a hundred years anyway and despite the world supposedly ending its going to end even harder during the game if you dont stop gannon. By the like 4th character I encountered who was a hundred years old I decided everyone was loving with link and the appocalypse happened a week ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dreadmojo posted:

Deus ex mankind divided is actually really good apart from the bad acting of your aussie boss guy

The voice actor for Sarif having a complete mental breakdown betwen games is a bummer because his replacement in mankind divided just isnt as good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Graphic posted:

World in Conflict has a film or miniseries quality story and makes all other military/war games look childish.

World War 1 Medic makes World in Conflict look like Hellcats of the Navy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poverty goat posted:

microsoft is buying obsidian lol

theyll make 1 more game, it'll be a clumsy xbone exclusive that won't sell, and they'll shutter the studio after

gently caress this gay earth

Seems doubtful. Microsofts strategy appears to be buy midsize developers to churn out niche games for gamepass rather than get dissapointed about Obsidian getting shuttered preemptively get dissapointed that Obsidian is possibly about to make several games but somehow only the trashiest one gets renewed for a sequel.

Rutibex posted:

does obsidian even own any valuable IP? i thought they licensed everything

Pillars of Eternity, possibly Tyranny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good soup! posted:

as a "game" planescape: torment is a loving clunky mess and should probably just be a text adventure if it's gonna make me read all that poo poo

would love to see that setting explored within a well-designed game tbh, because the story is good but I would never suggest anyone suffer through that poo poo just to read it

I swore there is a mod that just gives you mac stats and instagibs any combat encounter you engage in for just that reason.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Get good scrub and play it on regular difficulty, none of this baby-mode easy.

Also, that game cost $97 dollars in todays money.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its 2018, SimCopter remake needs rampant shirtless man love in the streets than just a few days of the year

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BioMe posted:

Strategy games should round chances of odds greater than 90% to 100% and lower than 10% to 0%.

loving fire emblem i'm so sick of getting instakilled at the finish line by some 6% chance bullshit

Doesnt Fire Emblem already use fake math at those ranges?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

It really does feel like the decade+ of cutscene tunnel single player FPS design was a total waste.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, every developer including Valve took every single wrong lesson they could from Half-Life 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

HL2 is just incredibly good, but that's a popular videogame opinion for another thread.

You came to the wrong part of town, motherfucker

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

yes, that's why they were separate points. I can't think of any major titles before it with regenerating health in any capacity, a non terrible ability to be controlled on consoles, two weapons that quick swapped, or the way its melee attack worked.

Designated grenade button alongside optional vehicle segments and while not copied as much enemy radar.

There are games that did pieces of this prior (Hello Atari Jaguar AvP) but much like nobody gives a poo poo about Kill.Switch or Midi Maze, Halo put all the disparate parts into a single cohesive package to show the strength of the unified experience and thus set the standard.

Halo 2 then basically did the same thing for online matchmaking and started the death of server lobbies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sardonik posted:

No console FPS other than metroid prime has effective shooter controls. It is baffling to me how many people seem to be stuck in the plato's cave of fps console gaming when the alternative feels so, so much better.

Those controls are fine for the kind of game it is, dire for say, Call of Duty.

Unless you mean the Wii re-release in which case the only thing that really sucks is door opening

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Any game that doesn't feature Crash W. Bandicoot is garbage trash for babbys.

I have it on good authority he got put into the hospital by an australian gentleman

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

i don't think Dwarf Fortress could have been made by anyone normal. it requires this kind of shut-in weirdo genius

Its outsider art of the highest order

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spin Dash is bad, Drop Dash is incredible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Click to move is garbage and belongs in the landfill of gaming ideas next to non-maintainable auto lockon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poverty goat posted:

point and click adventure games have never had good gameplay

if they were good, it was for other reasons, like the writing, art, and music, or being stuck at home on a school night with nothing better to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhtR-yoObs

Is Zoombini: The Logical Journey a puzzle game or point and click adventure? What a great, if needlessly cruel and extremely easy to render unwinnable, game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

Anyone who posts the equivalent of "you know that game with the story everyone likes? well actually it's bad" should have to give an example of what they consider to be a good video game story.

Outrun 2