Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dyna Soar posted:

Did you have to reload a lot? Its not a terribly hard game, but without at least some level of tactical magic using it can get frustratring fast

e: yeah i probably reloaded a fair bit, but i don't recall it ever being as a result of not using spell piercing. Playing on normal though.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Daikatana got more poo poo than it would've because of that ad but also it was just a poo poo game.

i cannot leave without my buddy: super fly

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A Fancy Hat posted:

Doom 2016 is a game that starts off and is incredibly badass and cool, but very quickly becomes super repetitive.

By the midpoint of the game everything boils down to walking a few feet, finding some demons, walking a few more feet, bursting open one of those gore sacs and fighting a lot of demons, walking a few more feet into a small puzzle or platforming section.

I know it's the campaign mode in something that's primarily supposed to be about multiplayer, but the multiplayer wasn't all that great anyway.

It's 'unpopular' not 'wrong and insane'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Butter Hole posted:

Prey is garbage, only steam game I've ever refunded. Combat feels bad, gunplay is bad, the idea of "exploration" and "world building" is really just "read boring emails about characters that are uninteresting on computers". The mimics were a cool concept but not fun to fight against. You mostly walk around picking up useless junk until your inventory is full.

I thought the intro was cool, but really didn't see what the hooplah was about. Granted I only played it for 2 hours but I had seen enough.

lol ok

also 'doom has too much story' is an opinion I've seen exactly once, a few posts up from here

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheScott2K posted:

:shrug: Ludonarrative dissonance is a thing and it strongly undermines is the unambiguous point of everything Spec Ops The Line is doing.

Blazing Ownager posted:

An opinion both unpopular and very wrong.

To this day I've never seen a game where your main character so subtly falls apart over it. I think my favorite thing in the game is how you begin looking all clean & crisp and when you target people you scream stuff like "Hostile, 6 O'Clock!" or "Tango down," but by the end you look like a bloody wreck and the targeting messages have changed to "KILL THAT FUCKER OVER THERE!" style dialogue.

It's very well done, and the shooting is as fun as an 8/10 game, it's fine, good even. It's not DooM... but what is?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panzeh posted:

it was a little late for that, and honestly many of them played better than spec ops, including kane and lynch and army of two.

Kane and Lynch 2 was good with its hosed up low-fi aesthetic, the first was p dull iirc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Dunno if unpopular but Call of Duty Modern Warfare is a legit good game, just finished the remaster, never played it before.

The newer ones are weak af compared to this one

Yeah, the original Cod mw is a legit classic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheScott2K posted:

Saints Row 4 is in fact the best one and the fact that you don't really ever need to drive a car to get anywhere is a point in its favor.

I spent a lot of time driving in sr4 because it was fun :shobon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

lol

I'm sure he's speaking out his mind and not just choosing his words so as not to burn any bridges.

He's already burnt and exploded his bridges then salted the smoking remnants with Cobalt 60 so no-one can cross them for 10,000 years.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Did anyone else’s arcade have the plane shooty game that basically strapped you into a gyroscope and swung you around as you played the game and there was always a gross smelling stain on the carpet next to it no matter how much they cleaned

Yes it blew my mind

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sid Vicious posted:

I like video games

Lol get a load of this guy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arkham Knight is really good (though I read a review that said the reveal of the titular guy is ho hum so I looked it up and lolyep it's exactly who I thought it was)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exploded mummy posted:

eh, its probably the worst of the series

a lot of the really good arkham stuff was minimal, just so they could justify shoehorning a tank into the game

like the tank was a cool idea but it just keeps going on and then theres forced stealth segments WHILE DRIVING A loving TANK

also the entire release was a gigantic shitshow because of that reveal

they legitimately did not do any sort of competent qa on the pc version pre-release because they wanted to minimize the amount of people who knew the shocking true identity of the arkham knight (which had been guessed approximately 15 seconds into the original announce trailers by hoards of sweaty comic book ners)

I'm a few hours in, the tank stuff is good but I can see their deathless design boner for it getting a little old.

It's gorgeous now they've fixed the frame rate, but if that's why they didn't do enough qa then lol, it's super obvious/retarded and I don't even read comics

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DogonCrook posted:

Would it be possible to offload ai calculations to the gpu to run thousands of basic ai?

In general i thought gains would be made in gaming by running basic things to the gpu instead just like bitcoiners do. I know it can only do basic math and would be a coding nightmare but isnt that where the real gains would be?

Also what ever happened to dedicated physics cards? Thats basically where i thought they were going with that and it seemed like a good idea. I guess the only game i can remember that used it was ghost recon.

I think it got rolled into proprietary gfx api like Physx and tressfx?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

signalnoise posted:

Leveling up is an annoying mechanic to begin with. If there's going to be some kind of power unlock kind of thing as you play a game more, I strongly prefer giving players more options for character specialization rather than outright improvements. I've heard the rebuttal of "what if someone prefers the starting loadout to anything potentially more interesting, and the game never changes for them?" Well who the gently caress cares, am I supposed to be irritated that someone liked a game from the start?

Focus on making your gameplay fun at its core instead of telling the player it'll be fun later. Dumbest poo poo in the world is when someone tries to sell you on a game and is like "stick with it, it gets really good after like 15 hours."

I'm digging the hell out of arkham knight right now and it's a great example of how to do it well: you're the goddam fuckin Batman at the start and you're a much more involved version of the goddam fuckin Batman at the end

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheScott2K posted:

A whole bunch of janky stuff in that game that gets forgiven for reasons of old was bad at the time too. Deus Ex was an 8/10 game at best.

It's the worst great game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The vox pop was blatantly about racism as original sin, though it wasn't done well. And the ending owned, getting drowned by multiple Elizabeths to a cappella gospel was excellently fetishistic

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

!Klams posted:

I see a lot of vitriol for Human Revolution, and at the time peeps ragged on the bossfights a lot, but what really got me was how stupid the map layout was. It made out like you were in a city, implying open world / free roaming, but actually secretly it was a doom / wolfenstein style maze of a map. It felt so insanely stupid to be, that in this game where you can supposedly make any decision, you had less geographical freedom than Bioshock, who's whole shtick is it's rail roading you.

Yeah i got lost like a motherfucker in hr, it's not even that big

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is great ty though i hate you for each and every single choice obv

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

Half Life 2 is not the best game! It's not even a good game.

It is actually vg

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stamps cost good money, $$$ friend

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bholder posted:

That alone makes it so much better than Spec Ops

I felt p good about myself after slaughtering my relief unit with an automatic shotgun then rasping 'gentlemen, welcome to dubai' into a helmet mic

My upo is that people are giant babies about spec ops meta elements and it's a real good and fun game to play

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think it's a grandfather's axe scenario though, they've been constantly maintained and upgraded (could be wrong, I read that on here somewhere)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orkin Mang posted:

where in the world is carmen san diego? its neither here, nor there for me.

She's in the toilet...the poopzone

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

food court bailiff posted:

pyf jumped down my throat once for saying this and several posters kept claiming that the ending choice for DX1 boiled down to three buttons as well and it was the most ridiculous reductivist take, i couldn't believe it

It did, though.

The actual ending of me3 was adequate at best, but I liked the bit where you're limping towards the final scene, all broken and battered

It's hard to overstate what giant babies people where about it, there were literal thousand page threads of whining lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheScott2K posted:

Syndicate 2012 was good enough for sequels

It's underrated for sure, I think it's one of the better cyberpunk games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow 3 pages of bitching about ME and no one brought up the creepy abusive romance option where you seduce the psychologically damaged biotic after killing her captors? I've done a lot of hosed up poo poo in video games but the Jack romance is easily, without question, the cringiest thing ive ever seen in a western video game, and im including the literal sniper rifle demon abortion sequence from Devil May Cry's reboot

The romances with crew members are also creepy af

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

lol basically every Bioware romance is creepy

I actually think the witcher 1 sex cards are better, they're straight up 'yeah you hosed'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a hole-y ghost posted:

I did not play Mass Effect at all, actually. Is it good, aside from this thread's description?

They're ok.

The first one is solid b-grade sci fi with some good moments but fairly terrible gameplay and mechanics, the second is the best and upgrades it into a competent cover shooter with some great missions and character moments including a superb final mission, the third improves the mechanics, and has an even spread of fantastic and terrible bits. They're definitely worth playing.

My unpopular opinion is that me2 planet scanning was fun, as long as you didn't feel compelled to grind it out. Also scanning Uranus lol.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I played the demo after they fixed the egregious crap and it seemed fine, just meat and potatoes sci fi. Worth getting cheap.

I think making the default female face extremely derpy was one of their biggest and most easily fixable flaws.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jeza posted:

Only on these forums have I run into the apparent consensus that it's bad. Like, it's not blow you away fantastic or anything, but for me it was solid and pretty fun too. It could be a classic case of many goons needing to git gud. Still blows out of the water the real-time combat of like 90%+ RPGs modern or old.

Yeah, it's ok imo.

My opinion is that Enderal is the best Skyrim by miles. I'm like 50 hours in and it nails the difficulty curve, makes money meaningful, and has a really solid well-presented plot with largely excellent voice acting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bioware romances, where you either give people their favorite presents until they gently caress you, or sexually harass people under your command? I think that's creepier. The cards are just being honest about video games pokemonesque gently caress mechanics lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't know this is popular, unpopular, or what. I think mostly it's duh, but here goes:

I am playing WoW again after breaking for quite a number of years, although I was around when they first introduced dungeon finder.

It is loving astonishing how asocial WoW is now. You don't really need to talk to another player at any time or engage in any activity that promotes player interactivity (even AH stuff). Running a dungeon takes like 15 minutes. They've vastly improved how visually interesting and varied the zones are, but also the game is now 100% about following the DMNPC characters.

I miss when queuing for an instance was a commitment of some kind, and moving through an instance took any planning or discipline. (I don't miss, like, the mage being the waterboy or people trying to keep hunters out of groups). But the game is so watered down now.

Yeah I miss the extremely specific satisfaction of pulling together a good dungeon group with text chat and /who.

Also play calling in arathi basin, horde owned that place on our server.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fridge corn posted:

The first gta game was good

incorrect

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

black flag is the only good rear end creed game. and only if you ignored the storyline

Syndicate is ok, though inferior to the cyberpunk fps

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Games are art like telephones are conversations

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What are the scripted cinematic sequences in half life refresh my memory it's been a while lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh wait there's that 30 second one, when you trigger the event right at the beginning, my bad

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oh dope posted:

Underrail is super cool up until the Deep Caverns, the point where the devs decided that the game should suck rear end.

wise devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

Black Mesa is a bad HL remake

I modded the guards to be less hitscan terminator and tweaked the jumping and it was decent. Have they done Xen yet?