Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Barudak posted:

I love Max Payne 3's load bearing cutscenes that have hard coded points where you are allowed to skip even if the game long ago finished loading

The game runs fine at 60 fps but the cutscenes are at 30 and graphically they look the same. I didn't even realize they were cutscenes, I just thought oh man this section I guess is super resource heavy because the framerate just took a massive hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Someone told me Deep Rock Galactic has a surprisingly wholesome community, so I jumped into a public server.

hahaha it's exactly the same community as counter-strike

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed was really fun, but only cops played as Sonic and pals in that.

I haven't play a Mario Kart since Double Dash so I'm probably wrong, but this was the best kart racer I'd ever played and I still consistently play it. At around 6 AM Pacific time you can usually still manage to go online and find a filled out race to jump into! Good luck at any other time of day though :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I am pretty good at video games, but am very, very bad at Dark Souls. I've tried it, I just can't get better at it. I don't want to play an "easy" version of Dark Souls; I want to experience what other people do. I feel like there's a barrier I can't cross, so I'll have to just enjoy it vicariously or something.

Khanstant posted:

Battletoads is way more bullshit than Dark Souls anywau

There's no single enemy that is tough to beat in Battletoads; all the difficulty is just environmental timing stuff. I can (almost) beat Battletoads. I can't get anywhere in Dark Souls :(

credburn fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 9, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DrPossum posted:

The only possible acceptable zelda movie will be like the cartoon with liberal uses of "excuuuse me princess" featuring no one named Chris

If Link was born in California he would absolutely be a Chris

maybe a Kevin

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
OoT had lovely combat but it was because it was on the N64 and 3D was new and we didn't understand how to make it good, yet.

Every subsequent Zelda has had lovely combat (perhaps not Breath of the Wild; I haven't played it) because we're real nostalgic for that N64 jank.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
e: so nevermind!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I recently played A Plague Tale: Amnesia, which does one of those things where it ends, then you see the credits for a little bit and then you see the real ending. It's not like a stinger; it's a proper epilogue. But what amuses me, is that I see that by looking at the global achievement percentages 44% of players beat the game, but only 42.9% got the final achievement, which means that a lot of players just turned the game off as soon as the first credits roll happened, which makes for a hilariously disappointing ending to the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Nice Van My Man posted:

The problem with FF16 is that it's on the PS5 and I'm not buying that garbage. Where's my PC release? I need another FF to play so that I can complain it isn't recapturing my childhood.

Have you played Lightning Returns?

It's dumb!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Oh Christ we're in Dark Souls / Elden Ring talk, I'll see you folks in fourteen pages

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Halo stalled the progress of video games for like six fuckin years

It was so fuckin successful that it made it so anything new and exciting for PC had to also be playable on the stupid XBox. Which meant it had to appeal to XBox kids and also had to suck graphics-wise. We didn't get good PC games again until at least the 360 generation or whatever was dying. gently caress you XBox

Also we could have gotten the proper RTS Halo instead

Could have more Myths

They took Bungie from us

credburn fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 23, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Playing a first-person shooter with a gamepad feels as natural as playing Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
lol @ physical media consumers in 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

I used to do both but consoles just feel pointless in 2023. I don't even know what the Xbox 4 is called.

The XBox 3 is called the XBox 1 :v:

My ex girlfriend made a good argument about the benefit of consoles over PCs: "They just work. I turn it on and I can play."

Getting some things to work over the Steam link, AND it being able to sync with all the controls was sometimes a hassle.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Modern games try to capture the "nostalgia" of PC gaming in the 1990s but they don't require me reduce the playing window to the size of a stamp so as to have a playable fame rate.

hell yeah

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 25, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Physical media needs to be of a certain size, if it exists. These tiny Switch carts, they're so easy to lose!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I thought meta progression makes it a roguelite, no?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Ravus Ursus posted:

Diablo started with 2.
Final fantasy started with 7.
Persona started with 3.
Metal gear starter with Solid.
Fallout started with New Vegas.
Pokemon started with digimon.

Fire me.

I seriously want to smash poo poo when someone says "the original Fallout" and they're talking about Fallout 3

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The next Star Wars movie will be teased in a free-to-play Chess mobile game where hats are monetized

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Nice Van My Man posted:

No, you gotta grab the Zweihander. DS1 is the Zweihander game. It pancakes every enemy and you can grab it out of the graveyard at the start.

That sword confused me so much. Like, what do I DO with it? It's so much more powerful than my starter weapon. Or the next one I got. Or the next one. Or the next one.

I quit playing a long time ago, but I always wanted to ask someone about it: is the sword supposed to be a joke? Are you meant to get it that early and use it? Do you get better with it later on? What's the deal with the Zweihander? I pretty much just used that weapon until I absolutely had enough of the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
That sounds logical. The biggest deterrent for most people to play through Dark Souls is the difficulty. It was for me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Yeah 2D GTA combat was really the pinnacle of execution

tank rear end controls

Devils Affricate posted:

All I remember about GTA5's combat was that when you pressed the aim button it made your guy automatically aim directly at the enemy's head, so all you had to do was press aim and then shoot, in rapid succession. I think aiming was L1 and shooting was R1. So like 5 enemies show up, combat consists of pressing L1, then R1, 5 times. As a hardcore PC gamer this was very offensive to me.

I played GTAV on console and the aim thing was there, it made aiming with a controller easy I guess, but I wondered if it was still that was on PC. Surely you could disable it? I don't know if you could on console, I didn't check because I hate aiming with a controller

tank rear end controls

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Whether you use mouse + keyboard or the noob sticks depends really on whether or not you're a widdle baby poo poo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Khanstant posted:

What about series where the seventh sequel is better than the first, like Final Fantasy.

Like Dragon Quest 7 :v:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I spent like five hours shooting that loving dragon with arrows in Dark Souls but its health never seemed to go below halfway. Just more elaborate Dark Souls trolling from the insipid community.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I played a little bit of Bloodborne but like, do you not level up in that game or what? I didn't get very far but gently caress that. I need my numbers go up

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

been playing Arx Fatalis and i'm realizing it's been a while since we've had any good new eurojank. Kingdom Come is the last one I can think of.

I just started Elex II. There's a part in the beginning where it trains you to be stealthy, which I was, and avoided all the enemies, but I think maybe you're supposed to fail it? As soon as I walked a little onward a cutscene started where I was running from enemies. Oh Piranha Bytes, you make the same janky game again and again and I love each iteration of it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Elex II in all its incredible jank feels so much more authored than Bethesda's output. Yeah it kind of looks like garbage, but it feels like every section of the game was at least worked on by a human, and not just algorithms and procgen bots

edit: not to say every part of even any part of Bethesda's games are entirely made by procgen, but it sure feels that way. Aside from really specific sets, Bethesda games feel generated.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
UVO: I don't want to see what other people paid money to cosmetically enhance their characters with. I want to see what they're wearing, not what "illusion" lets them dress up in silly outfits. If I'm in an online world, I want to see every piece of their armor as it is, I want to see their weapons as it is. Don't like none of this cosmetic nonsense. Ruins the immersion.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Nethack is probably my all time favorite game, too.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I spent a few years with my ex building together a Rock Band 3 setup with the sole purpose of recreating the joy I had in the 2000s. It culminated when her friend Chad gave me his Rock Band instruments and then I spent a ton of dough on Rock Back 3 DLC and was finally ready to revisit my youth from the 2000s but then my ex left me for Chad and took the Rock Band setup and now I have nothing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't think there has ever been a more unexciting and uninspiring name for a videogame than "Alan Wake", note i'm not attacking the game at all, I love horror games and I've probably seen less than 20 seconds of footage but "Alan Wake" - c'mon it'd take some doing to make a more boring title than that

But his name is A. Wake

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

first mistake is thinking Kojima has any talent

Sir if this weren't the unpopular opinions thread I'd ask you to step outside and speak your utter nonsense to the cats.

And see if the cats tolerate such horsehockey.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I recently learned the protagonist from Perfect Dark is named Joanna Dark and that made me chuckle

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've observed that unlike a lot of other massively popular franchises, Dark Souls fans tend to be pretty open to criticism about their game. They'll often admit openly that these are flawed games, that they're not for everybody, that it's okay to not like a Dark Souls game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

loving skellingtons

My cousin always said this, growing up. Skellingtons. Recently I overheard a friend say it, just referring to skeletons, not specifically Jack Skellington. I said, I have a cousin who says that. She says, everyone says that. I said, no, skellington. She said yeah, skellington. Everyone says that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Imagine if, in real life, you happened upon a cassette tape on the street, and on it was a single diary entry. And later you came upon another, then another... I'd loving lose my goddamn mind

I'd start putting together one of those crazyperson maps they hang up on motel walls with yarn

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Why does American McGee get his weird name put on games?

edit: his wikipedia is pretty interesting:

quote:

When McGee was sixteen, he came home from school and found his house empty and abandoned; the only things left were his bed, his books, his clothes and his Commodore 64 computer.

:getin:

credburn fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 11, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cosmik Debris posted:

Rts's get too micromanagey.

A real commander doesn't order troops to go here and stand there. There's squads with their own intelligence and so forth.

When an RTS comes along and implements that well it'd probably be a lot of fun.

Let me tell you about Autobattlers. I think they're everything you've been waiting for and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
https://www.beyondallreason.info/

Beyond All Reason is a free, brilliant take on Total Annihilation.