Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The thing about Jim Sterling is that if you are going to have a lot of opinions about a very sedentary hoby you shouldn't be the size of 2 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

What new features did halo introduce? I guess vehicles were more fleshed out and a bigger part of the game?

Carrying 2 weapons

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You dont need to look like david beckham but you do need to look like you understand what "exercise" and "healthy food" are.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

internet celebrity posted:

Mario Maker 2 is going to be the best game on the Switch

Sensible outlooks thread for this hot take

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Red Dead 2 would have been amazing if they'd made it fun to play

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The binding of isaac is the greatest motherfuckung videogame ever made, I'm kinda dumbstruck when people dislike it. The challenge, the mechanics, the breadth and depth, the discovery, its about as good a videogame as I've ever played.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i don't like how you kinda slip and slide around the place

You've lost me, there are certain things that would cause this effect but its normally obvious like a yellow puddle on the floor, i didn't personally feel the normal controls felt slippery.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its not slow cmon dude, red dead 2 is a slow game. That's just a ridiculous statement to make. Yes its very random but that's a huge part of the appeal, its never a negative when that RNG gives the game so much breadth and depth.

Yeah the "edgelord style" is a bit grotesque but again im not judging the game on that as much as its mechanics.

I have not played nuclear throne or monolith perhaps ill check them out.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing a single player poker game sounds awful

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

skooma512 posted:

RDR's is good.

I hated how there wasn't a high stakes game in 2 :(

Yeah having poker in a RDR2 style game would be a fun engaging novelty for around 10 seconds

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

poverty goat posted:

Gamers often assume that a more perfect simulation would always be a better game and this is incredibly stupid

Reddead2.txt

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They did that in Gears of War and it was bad

The reloading mechanic in GoW was good, the damage boost felt just enough to make it worthwhile and the gun jamming if you messed it up was a neat downside, just a great mechanic.

The Gears games were great overall, chainsaw-rifles are iconic for a reason, the sniper rifle felt weighty, popping the heads off Locust was a joy. Yeah it had some dumb vehicle sections and the plot was barebones and over the top in a eye rolling kind of way but they are nice 5 hour long experiences which felt good to play.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Earwicker posted:

again if you are talking 40 hours in a row of course thats insane whether you are talking about games or digging holes but goon poopsock stereotypes notwithstanding i dont think thats how most people actually play video games

I took 4 years to finish Skyrim and that's probably the main reason i never want to see it again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I preffered Baldurs Gate 1 over 2, starting the journey from the characters origin was just a more interesting premise to me.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think jade empire was the first videogame that made me realise some videogames were bad and not worth playing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I am generally a gameplay above all else guy but the writing and presentation in Witcher 3 are top class.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I mean, aren't half of steam purchases people buying something because its on a crazy deal and then never playing it?

Half?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

tuo posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn is boring (mainly due to open world)

I didn't find the open world boring but the plot was.

Then you read on here about people saying "the horizon story was awesome and kept me playing" and you realise that other people are playing videogames for very different reasons.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Opinion which is also fact: emulation is always poo poo and people who go on about emulation are doodieheads.

Yeah I'm with you, yeah the thought of having every snes and gameboy game on a portable device is cool but im never ever going to play a gameboy game for more than 2 minutes unless its Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

If there is one game I don't get it's Darkest Dungeon. I bought it the day it came out because it sounded really cool and there wasn't a single thing I liked about. The gameplay just felt totally boring and I don't like the art either.

God I am so with you, I really thought that game was for me but nope, it just felt so slow

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

3D graphics peaked with Deus Ex and Thief 2 and have been in decline ever since

In a simlar vein and from what I've read on the internet a broadly insane one - I much preffered Thief 1 to Thief 2

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

abigserve posted:

it's pretty funny how modern games like Shadow Of War completely loving ignore all of those game design lessons and replace them with "here's a pause screen with a paragraph long explanation of whatever this mechanic is, and the buttons to use it. HAVE FUN!! (ps we know you will never remember any of this poo poo so we'll just give you button prompts and reminders for the first...rest of the game)

This is my biggest gripe with the new god of war honestly, there were just far too many "dash with circle while tapping R3" or "rotate the analogue stick while heavy attacking" and none of it felt as satisfying or useful as bashing square.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best castlevania game is called spelunky

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember having a bad time with Axiom Verge but i can't remember why

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hmm i dont remember that being a frustration as much as the shooting and movement just feeling a bit off

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best LPs are those longplays on YouTube where no-one talks and the games are completed briskly but not perfectly

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only game i have ever played on a harder than normal difficulty is bayonetta

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would take an hd rerelease honestly

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
BioShock 1 has maybe my favourite video game world and i give it a replay every 4 years or so, its not a great shooter or anything but the audio logs and tone and the city of Rapture are right up there.

BioShock 2 is guff by comparison, it takes the sub par gameplay and tacks on a dull uninspiring plot which felt rushed to bank on 1s success. I remember nothing about that plot other than a mad scientist being trapped in a robot? Even exploring more of Rapture wasn't enough for me.

Infinite is good, the plots obviously as convoluted as heck (but fun) and the city in the sky was just silly but overall I enjoyed it.

I should really play Prey.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What's the best opposite example of that - a totally unaware game?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Warframe would be a fantastic game to play if i was in a situation where i had lots of free time and no money.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Chomp8645 posted:

The are number of games that fit this bill.

Yeah, Warframe, Dota and Wow.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My Phuo: both Destiny games were good, they could have been so much better but i got my 20 hours out each them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I own a grand gaming pc, a very capable laptop, a ps4, a switch and games are probably my side bitch next to warhammer. All or nothing lads.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Minecraft is a fun game to just chill after a hard day's work, even my girlfriend played it for a decent while and she's not fussed about games one bit.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Left 4 Dead was piss, you were meant to be a shooting guns in that game but the dev team must have forgot and left the code in for nerf guns or some poo poo. I have never played a game where the shotguns and rifles had so little impact. Doom, the 94 original, had meatier sounding guns and kill animations. It was so bad. Why make a game about shooting zombies and then make the shooting so sub par????

I remember the sequel being marginally better but then i also remember it feeling like a map pack so :shrug:

Shite games though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Total War games take an interesting premise and then hang an awful and boring game on it.

The best bit of the whole series are the FMV assassinations in shogun 1

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The biggets difference between Shenmue and Yakuza is Yakuza is self-aware and hilarious.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Breath of the Wild was just empty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Consoles and pcs are both great. Can't play dota on the ps4, can't play god of war on pc.