Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

New vegas is better than the preceeding and suceeding fallout games

fallout 3 and 4 aren't even real fallout games. fallout takes place on the west coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dsf posted:

ultima 8 was cool and underrated

i put an absurd amount of hours into it loving around with the hackmover cheat (lets you move literally anything around including npcs, floor and wall pieces) when i was a kid doing poo poo like building my own town in the middle of nowhere.

I even loved the finicky rear end sorcery system where you had to study the formulas and perfectly set up all the reagents and candles around a pentagram. It took me hours to finally get them all in the right pixel-perfect place but drat if it wasnt satisfying to finally get it right.

i'm going to agree here, Ultima 8 rules. there is just so much random poo poo everywhere. i normally love stealing in RPGs, but Ultima 8 gave me a run for my money!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

I posited to my roommate that jrpgs are a trash-tier sub genre and that the best example was worse than the worst fighting game.

This left me in the unenviable position of arguing that Digimon Rumble Arena was a better game than Chrono Trigger.

just play soul calibur and you can both be happy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Barris posted:

Every single game Blizzard ever made sucks.

very true. Blizzard North on the other hand.......

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

GTA San Andreas is the best GTA game ever, yes, better than even 5 and Vice City.

GTA: London is the pinnacle of the series

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve Batmans posted:

I saw someone say David Sirlin is good and this is veritably false. No one who dislikes Third Strike has good opinions on anything.

David Sirlin sucks. Yomi sucks. And this (made by David Sirlin using Yomi as base) sucks especially:

David Sirlin basically just steals content off of boardgamegeek message boards and publishes them as original ideas

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve Batmans posted:

Especially this. I can't recall how many hackneyed changes I saw in SF II HDR that were basically stolen from suggestions made at various boards Sirlin posted on. However, it turned out to be good as a proof of concept in showing that people who play fighting games professionally have no business designing them. There's more to these games than just their mechanics. If you can't make a game that has an appreciable but workable power difference between characters because you want to cater to newbies all day who can't do shoryu's then you are approaching fighting game design from the completely wrong direction. All the best games have difficult concepts at all levels and sometimes downright broken poo poo at their highest levels. This doesn't even apply just to fighting games.

i think David Sirlin illustrates your point best

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

parallelodad posted:

Final Fantasy was coded entirely by an Iranian and basically rips off spellcasting mechanics wholesale from Dungeons and Dragons

the whole game is basically a D&D game. they had to change the sprite for the Beholder boss because it was too much of a trademark violation.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I'm old and lovely and I never played it.

Goldeneye was the greatest shooter of the 90s

Doom is better than Goldeneye

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

i don't believe you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2J4Loe57g

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ded posted:

dark souls is total and complete garbage

im gald someone came out and finally said it. what a lovely game! memorizing a bunch of gotcha monster placements is not challenging, its just tedious

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

new phone who dis posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order is not only a good shooter but probably has some of the best video game writing ever done up to this point.

video games should not have writing. go read a book

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

Not really. The early big two, Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil, were really more adventure games with combat in them.

tank controls are awesome and RE without them is not a real RE game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poco posted:

heroes of might and magic V was completely upstaged in every way by King's Bounty the legend. i tried to replay HoMM V again and god what a slow boring lovely slog.

why would you waste your time on this trash, just play HoMM 3. its the best one and has never been surpassed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pawl posted:

2D zelda games are the only good ones

this includes Zelda 2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceClown posted:

Fallout 4 is good and cool.

hey now, lets not go crazy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceClown posted:

I've modified it in a lot of meaningful yet arbitrary ways and it's become one of the best games I've ever played.

A short list of what I've done:

1.) Got a regrowth mod that adds actual vegetation everywhere. Just makes the map more interesting and feels better.

2.) Got a spawn mod that massively increases the amount of patrols and vertibirds that spawn

3.) Got a leveled list mod that redistributes power armor across the factions. BoS deploys T-45 with knights, T-51 with paladins and T-60 with star paladins (when they are deployed with power armor, of course). Gunner colonels are often found in suits of X-01.

4.) Got a raider overhaul mod that adds a ton of content to raiders. Also a lot more raider power armor is deployed.

5.) Multiple weapon and armor mods, specifically centered around adding as much content as possible to the game. I still don't know half the poo poo in these weapon and armor packs and I'm 10 hours into a savegame.

6.) Power Armor mod that makes the wearer invulnerable so long as it's armored. It's imperfect and there are a lot of tweaks I want to do with it, but I just haven't had the time to really mess with it in the creation kit. As it stands though, it makes power armored enemies an extremely serious threat, as they can soak up thousands of rounds of small arms fire before you even put a dent in their armor. In Fallout canon, a single soldier in power armor was capable of liberating an entire town single handedly and this really manifests with this mod. When heavy support rolls onto the scene, it's time for a real change in tactics.

7.) Hardcore damage mod. Everything is lethal, even moreso than on Survival. This is a two way street, no more bullet sponge soft targets. Again, imperfect. Ideally I would like to make Deathclaws, Mirelurk Queens and Sentry bots just as unkillable as power armored soldiers, but again I just haven't had the time to mess with it in the creation kit.

8.) Damage threshold mod, readds the very much loved mechanic of damage thresholds to some armors so that you need more than a pipe rifle to kill a gunner sergeant clad in ballistic armor.

9.) Vertibird enhancement mod that makes them extremely resilient (almost impossible to bring down with small arms) and also gives them a lot of firepower. The sound of vertibirds in the air is an indicator to run for cover before it spots you and lights you up.

That's about the extent of it. Almost everything else is minor cosmetic stuff (like weather mods that make weather that much better) or requirements for other mods.

It's fun to kill an hour or so every so often to play in the sandbox of post apocalyptic hell. I completely ignore quests and just enjoy the gunplay, which is actually really nice once you get rid of the loving terrible bullet sponges. Yes I realize I made power armored units are even bigger bullet sponges than anything in the base game, but it's nice. They feel like bosses and if you don't have power armor with you when you run into some heavy metal ground pounders it's a pretty frantic fight of hit and run tactics to try and destroy some bit of their armor so you can actually hurt them. Or the BoS/Gunners come in and ruin the party with CAS vertibirds laying down a poo poo ton of fire support which blows right through power armor.

is ther a mod that makes the story not suck

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

i don't get the hype for stardew valley, it seems like a by-the-numbers ripoff of harvest moon

it has better controls than Harvest Moon

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

The 3D Fallout games are uniformly bland and boring. As far as sandboxes go, there is like nothing to do and everything is just garbage recycled assets.

The games themselves are just a handful of poorly designed and clunky mechanics held together with string.

It's embarrassing that a game that contains mutants and power armor and lasers and toxic bear-wolves conveys all of this to you so poorly and that so much of it hinges on a storyline that literally, actually, no one gives a gently caress about.

I played FO 3, and the only good quest is when you get stuck in the AI's Leave it to Beaver/Pleasantville world, and skimming any YouTube video tells me that NV is just the same lovely game but maybe good writing and FO4 is just actually as bad. Why these games are getting prestige while Prey is getting picked over is staggering to me lol

new vegas is good you dummy, and not just for the story. you are right about all the rest of it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

open-world games get boring too fast and I have trouble remembering one that I've actually finished

your not supposed to finish open world games. just play it until you are bored

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

morally adept posted:

Those robot scorpions sure were fun, not annoying bullet sponges in the least.

the DLC throws weapons with *+100% damaged vs robots* at you like candy. dont blame the DLC because you decided to just use your good old wasteland sniper rife or whatever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrMidnight posted:

Which games make you do this

fallout 1 & 2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Sim Farm is the best farming simulator game there is or ever was, and all the modern ones are missing the entire point of what made it fun. I don't want to have to worry about loan payments or going bankrupt because I keep rolling my brand new 60000 dollar tractor into a pond accidentally, I just want to grow some carrots or whatever.

Maxis and Sierra (pre-2000 at least) made some of the best games and it's a shame there's nothing like them anymore.

actually the best farming simulator is Stardew Valley

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Is that the one on the super nintend o because i liked that one best.

snes had both simcity and simcity 2000. the original one on SNES had some extra stuff like summoning bowser, but the 2000 was just a port. i prefer the original personally

Blazing Ownager posted:

This but with Civilization

Civ IV: Beyond the Sword is still the best Civ game bar none. I REALLY wanted to like VI more, but every game I played seemed like a dice roll to see who got the super city states and AI that will literally never stop fighting you for psychotic reasons and captured cities that will literally hate you until you slaughter their entire home civilization.. hex grids just aren't worth the poo poo of 5 & 6.

the best civilization is Alpha Centauri

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dsf posted:

Master of orion 1 > Master of orion 2. Actually MOO1 > pretty much any other 4x game before or since. Civ 4 probably comes the closest but even it feels bloated compared to MOO1. And thats not just nostalgia either, I only started playing MOO1 like 2 years ago.

Master of Orion 3 is the superior version

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Dennis System posted:

True. But they're also quite hard.

the games, or the weeaboos?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lil Peeler posted:

This is the first thing to make me interested in BotW. I always loved the open style of the first two but the RPG elements gameplay of Zelda 2 pissed me off.

Unpopular opinion is that LttP is still the high point of the series with some of the most imagination outside of Majoras Mask.

Capcoms gameboy zeldas were really good

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, here's another unpopular opinion: UT2003 and 2004 and UT3 sucked my nuts, UT99 is awesome.

The whole HARDCORE SKILLZ crowd ruined later UTs. The first UT was full of spam-mania weapons. It was a little bit slower so regular players could pull off the crazy poo poo. Every single weapon felt viable. It was a loving blast.

Then UT2003 came out and it was all twitch crazed bullshit that rewarded SUPERFASTKEYHITS AND PRECISION over any kind of tactics. Gone were the days you could gently caress some l337 pro up in a hallway by making it rain bouncing flak or trap them into a solid room of goo. No, now all that had to be nerfed in favor of the SKILLZ WEAPONS.

gently caress UT2003 and up. The franchise fell off a cliff and they blamed everything from piracy to arena shooters not being viable but really it's that hard to define quality I'm talking about right here that made that poo poo fall off a cliff, though this opinion gets hardcore rage from the FPS crowd online.

i still have the original Unreal Tournament installed, i put it on every new computer. i love to boot up a match and kill some bots. no other shooter seemed as fun after, so i just keep playing Unreal Tournament. its fine, with mutators there is an endless variety.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

I like Jim Sterling when he's scripted. He is a good critic, a good writer and right most of the time.

I really enjoy his theme music. and it's nice to see a tremendous fat guy on YouTube actually dress well for once

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meridian posted:

Wait, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA8xrgLqQZ8&t=866s

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mystery fluid posted:

There has never been a good RTS or fighting game

what about samurai showdown 5 smart guy? thats a good fighting game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mystery fluid posted:

haven't played it but it probably isnt, sorry

i dont think you can make claims about all fighting games until you have played every single one :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mystery fluid posted:

ok fine, I hate fighting games because my friends always beat me at every single one we've ever played

that's why they are bad

you should try Soul Calibur. you can win that game by pushing random buttons faster than your opponent. skill is actually a distraction

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spidder posted:

Online competitive games are more like work instead of games, and also specifically designed to make players mad at each other so they never realize how poo poo the game they are playing is.

im sorry you tried online street fighter, no one should have to go through that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

what's the percentage of stardew valley mods that are the equivalent of a "dongs/drugs/racism" NES ROM hack?

100%

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"racing games" with powerups and explosives are just fighting games, meaning they are good

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i tried playing The Misadventures of Tron Bonne today for the first time. let me just say, that game has not aged well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HAT FETISH posted:

Video games don't have enough cruise ship levels. Video games peaked with Tony Hawk 3

Tony Hawk Underground 1 was the best skateboarding game ever made. all skateboarding games afterwards were a downgrade

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hamtaro posted:

Bioshock original was a System Shock spiritual successor (RPG shooter in maze-like rooms with puzzles and a high-tech, isolated feel). It also came with a (at the time unique) weapon upgrade system and political commentary on liberterianism and objectivism. It hasn't aged great, but it's still a good game. You got an ending that asked questions about player agency in a way that AAA games tend not to do. The sequel was solid as well, being slightly superior in gameplay and slightly inferior in story. The games haven't aged great, but they're still good.

Infinite throws all that away, and glues half-baked ponderances about infinity onto Borderlands-quality gameplay. Instead of political commentary, you have characters throwing around extinct racial slurs. It's a very weak sequel, and for some reason it's more popular than the original.

bioshock 1 has aged just fine. jeez people are picky these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

Agreed, but I only played 1-4.

I bought a PS2 for GT4, and I ended up hating GT4. (But loving the PS2)

Forza games on Xbox were pretty good, until they figured out DLC.

DLC is the worst, it has ruined video games. i remember when games had points you could earn to unlock features and bonus content, but thats now 100% money. i used to like unlocking stuff :(