Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

Hey look free idea: Discworld 3. Fuckin' Discworld 1 and 2 were great do it again.

did you never play the third Discworld game? It was really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I did not, in fact, regret cutting back on funding.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Skeleton King posted:

It isn't too bad but I will concede that the original doom had infinitely better music.

Quake II has the best soundtrack to any FPS ever

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

all final fantasy games are bad

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

bag em and tag em posted:

The death of the space flight sim genre is a tragedy. X-Wing and Descent: Freespace were kicking rad and we need more of that in our lives.

The x-wing thing on PS VR was really good for a free, short tech demo.
If they made it a full game that was more of the same with a bit of polish and a storyline, maybe multiplayer dogfights, everyone that bought the vr helmet would buy it and people on the fence about vr might be persuaded to buy a helmet.

But it seems like disney hate money or something else they would've released the original star wars films on blu ray with a bit of cleaning up and better audio tracks already.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Every single Doom has a better written and more interesting plot than half life or half life 2

This includes the novelisations, comic books and that one strategy guide that says "shoot it until it dies"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mortal Kombat games are pretty much the only good fighting games ever because you can just mash buttons when drunk and hilarious gory poo poo happens

Unreal Tournament 2004 was the last good (non co-op) multiplayer FPS

Witcher 3 combat is good unless you're terrible at video games or really autistic and can only play games where you have to memorise patterns

Almost all mods are completely terrible, and most of the good ones are basically just cheat codes

Roguelike, Metroidvania and anything boasting pixel art as a feature are just codewords for poo poo games. 99.9% of things calling themselves indie also apply here

The new Doom and Wolfenstein games are awesome when there's stuff to shoot and really bad when there's nothing to shoot and you're just farting around finding a platform to jump to or whatever

I have no problem with paying a subscription fee for PS+ because the fun I get from the odd not-indie game easily outweighs the £2 a month it costs

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

I almost beat one of those Marvel vs. Capcom games on one token in the arcade by just open-palm slamming every button at once. Like 10% left on the last fight.

Oh poo poo yeah I had Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the original Xbox. I only played it twice with the same friend. We were really drunk/high and had no idea what was going on except mashing a bunch of buttons made it go all epileptic crazy flashing lights and it was kind of cool I guess.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DXHR had the best cover system animations of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Destiny 2 is a fun game to chill with your bros and shoot things while chatting

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

If videogames are art then how come the Games forum is under 'Discussion' and not 'The Finer Arts'?

QED

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fable heroes was the best fable game

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alan wake was really good and it's a shame remedy are stuck making poo poo games for Microsoft instead of more games like Max Payne or Alan wake

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DogonCrook posted:

Cancelling fight night is actually the most unforgivable thing ea has ever done.

:agreed:

I bought UFC 2 for a tenner hoping it would scratch the fight night itch but it's just really bad. Maybe if there are custom matches where you can turn off grappling and submissions it might be slightly better because those dumb minigames are terrible.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Das Butterbrot posted:

unpopular but true: playing console causes brain AIDS

and playing pc causes you to become a virgin (in the unlikely event you weren't one already)

in conclusion don't play video games

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It's a travesty that no other game used die by the sword's freestyle sword combat

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Eternal darkness was the last good Nintendo exclusive that wasn't a sequel or remake

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I bought Doom on ps4 for £10 and because the £ is worthless thanks to Brexit that's probably like 25 cents now or something

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

how do you play games with a controller behind your knee

like are you squatting down and holding the controller under your butt as if to poop on it?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I don't mind trophies/achievements, don't really go out of my way for them generally unless the task to acquire one sounds fun, but wish developers did more interesting things with them.

Like in Mass Effect you got an achievement for killing enough stuff with certain powers/weapons and it meant that you could use that power/weapon on a class that wouldn't normally be allowed to use it, which made it much more replayable. iirc loads of the achievements gave an actual in-game bonus.

Guitar Hero 2 had a zero-point achievement for failing a song on easy, so you have a permanent mark of shame (thanks a lot, former housemate).

Lollipop Chainsaw has one called "I did it by accident, I swear!" that you get if you look up your character's skirt. As much as I swear that I genuinely did it by accident when doing a platforming bit and trying to see where to go next, nobody will ever believe me (which is fair enough).

I swear there was also a game where the names/descriptions of hidden achievements changed dynamically depending on your choices. Like, there was only one achievement but its name could change. One of the Fable games, maybe? Don't think I ever saw it outside of one game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ChazTurbo posted:

Botw and gow are both good games but people praising them to high heaven confuses the poo poo out of me. Especially botw.

I have both and I really enjoyed god of war apart from the dumb grindy collectible stuff, because I hate that in every game.

BOTW I played for a few hours and beat whoever the boss is after you fart about with that mermaid dude shooting ice crystals and haven't touched it since. It's ugly as gently caress and it's a big open world for no reason because there's nothing in it except the optional puzzle dungeons (Which are really fun, to be fair)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ChazTurbo posted:

Also the combat sucks.

It really does

I do like the sense of wonder and imagination behind BOTW but it just kinda sucks outside of the puzzles (and the puzzles that use motion controls are a great idea let down by horrible graphics/camera and insensitive controls)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

a bone to pick posted:

This M+K vs. Controller debate is funny because it's being played out right now in Fortnite. It's cross-platform with PC, at least on Xbone, and there have been quite a few complaints because M+K has a huuuuge advantage when it comes to aiming and building things.

Ohhhhhh

I'm not great at console shooters but I'm not exactly terrible and I couldn't figure out why I was dying to a headshot from a mile off while my teammates seemed able to build barricades really quickly.

It was also a really loving ugly and boring game. I miss UT99/2004; they were the last online fps games I actually enjoyed.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jeza posted:

You can't prove it because it's patently obvious that the average KB+M player will literally demolish the average controller player in an FPS. Pretty sure Microsoft dropped its grand scheme for Xbox and PC cross-platforming for that exact reason.

was fun being accused of hacking when playing quake 3 on dreamcast. I just plugged in a mouse and keyboard.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The dualshock 3 had convex sticks and bad triggers, is that what you're thinking of? The 4 has a convex lump inside a concave outer section and I find it grips really well.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

fruit on the bottom posted:

My controllers keep comically slipping out of my hands every few seconds. I don’t know if I’m using too much crisco or what

I want to see an infomercial where you keep squeezing the controller and it pops up in the air, and your character dies. Exasperated, you yell "There must be a better way!" and then someone comes along with the original xbox controller.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

List of good japanese games on the ps4 that aren't remakes or re-releases:

Resident Evil VII
Yakuza 6

If you include remakes and re-releases I guess you can add Rez and EDF in.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

signalnoise posted:

What about Yakuza Zero though

and they also got Hokuto Ga Gotoku

true i haven't played Yakuza 0, I should probably give it ago but I'm guessing it's much jankier than 6

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

Also Persona 5 and Monhun

Persona 5 is bad sorry
Monster Hunter was pretty good for a while so that can go in my list of good japanese games, bringing the total up to 3 (maybe 4 if Yakuza 0 is good like 6 is)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

all zelda games are basically the same game apart from the second one

I played breath of the wild up to the first boss after the bit where you're farting around in the water with that merman guy and you shoot all the freezing mines and stuff and haven't gone back to it since because it was boring. the little shrine dungeon puzzles were good, shame about everything else.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

Who the hell has played Yakuza 6 but not 0.

I bought 6 on a whim because it looked interesting and ended up really enjoying it. I think the only trophies I haven't got are for completing it on hard and getting all stats to 300 but I'll do that in a ng+ sometime. I very, very rarely like a game enough to play it that much.

I've been reluctant to play the older ones because they all look really shonky gameplay wise in comparison.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

In terms of releases 0 was sort of the breakthrough game for Yakuza in the West, it just came out early last year so its not super old. Its not on the same engine as Yakuza 6 but its not running on software meant for a PS3 either. Theres a LOT to do in that game, more than in 6. Its worth looking at.

Yaks 4 and 5 were PS3 games though and probably do have the shokniess youre talkin about.

I'll probably buy it when it's on sale

I'm playing through Divinity: Original Sin on PS4 entirely in co-op mode and it's a blast. It's really surprising how well the controls work on the gamepad. Trying to target AOE abilities is sometimes a bit fussy but otherwise it's pretty solid. I wish there were more co-op RPGs (actual RPGs, not Diablo and stuff, as much as I enjoy things like that). D:OS2 says it has 4 player online and splitscreen co-op which sounds amazing, though i can't imagine it being playable with 4 people on one TV.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: you gave up right before the first big puzzle dungeon.

Does the game get less ugly and does the combat get less tedious?

I still have it, just haven't played it (or the switch) in six months because there are good games to play instead.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

IDONTPOST posted:

I'm struggling to think of one playable Sega game outside Sonic, which is also unplayable

I have fond memories of streets of rage and golden axe co op

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

IDONTPOST posted:

Red Steel was good. Wii was good.

Red Steel was bad.

Godfather Wii was the best version of that game and it was real good.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I played Fortnite for about 20 minutes then quit because it was bad. It seems like minecraft with shooting? everyone on my team was farting about building stuff then some guy came along and killed my team. I killed him but then I got shot and died. I started another game and this went pretty much the same way so I uninstalled it.

UT2004 was the last good multiplayer fps.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

heffsay posted:

Fight Night Round 3 is the only game ever made that is worth playing.

Fight Night in general was loving amazing and it's a drat shame the people responsible now just do terrible games where 90% of the fight involves hugging each other

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Every time I try to play Champion I just end up going back to Round 3. I prefer actually telling my guy what to do.

4 was probably my favourite because you could still have the good controls of 3 but it had better graphics and you could create your own dudes using the camera

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ChazTurbo posted:

I can vouch. Haymakers were mad stupid in FN3

Yeah I think 4 made them better because if you whiffed one you'd use up a huge chunk of stamina and basically be useless for a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

If your character is constantly saying and doing things you'd never choose to say or do as that character, they should have just made a movie.

This is all video games where you play as a character