Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the best Wolfenstein and the new ones are boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

probably not very unpopular on this forum, but selling keys to open randomized crates is a shameful practice and a black mark on the industry.

this opinion is really only "unpopular" with publishers and certain developers. most people hate that poo poo, not just here but in general

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

I mean, it's wildly successful

because publishers realized they could cram the model into a bunch of already wildly popular game franchises that people are going to buy anyway.

people aren't buying those titles for the loot crate poo poo, the loot crate poo poo is in there because a large enough percentage of people will keep buying those titles - even while complaining about the loot crates - that its profitable. or was, maybe that's finally starting to turn around a little bit

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

by the 2025 tens of thousands of people will be employed as full time NPC's

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't this basically service jobs

i mean literal npc's within video game worlds

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ecco the dolphin is one of the most influential religious texts authored in the late 20th century

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i play chess on my phone and the phone kicks my rear end just like a computer or any human opponent over the age of 10 does so i think mobile games are doing just fine thanks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Elex is the best contemporary post-apocalyptic open world rpg

yes the voice acting is poo poo and its got some wonky combat but its still way better than fallout or any of those zombie/survival games

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw. Only for losers. If you see someone with a switch in public, you turn 360 and walk the other way.

thats dumb they are perfect for planes

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

internet celebrity posted:

My coworkers are all really into Sea of Thieves. No idea if it's good but it sounds fun the way they talk about it.

i played it not long after it came out and it was very boring. i heard they added some stuff to do more recently though. but black flag is definitely a better pirate game

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Generation Zero is a pretty good game

i kind of get why it was poorly reviewed because there are some annoying bugs and it certainly has that "unfinished" feel but there is a lot to like about it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I still don't know how blizzard managed to get away with blatantly stealing and filing the serial numbers off of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k.

the same way warhammer and dungeons and dragons got away with blatantly stealing a whole bunch of poo poo straight out of tolkein and other fantasy and scifi novels

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Good sound design that, among other things, made the monsters you're about to kill seem alive.

there was plenty of good sound design in gaming well before halo

obviously there were technical limitations in earlier phases of video game history but "good sound design" is not remotely something that halo invented or introduced to the world

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont have particularly strong opinions about link's awakening because i did not play the original but i have to say am getting pretty tired of the Tilt Shift aesthetic

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

BotW, otoh, I'd rank 4th worst or worst in the series. Depending. 4th worst in that it isn't plain bad like SS, PH or ST. But worst in that as a Zelda game, it fails miserably. It's the only Zelda game that doesn't feel like a Zelda game. Change out Link and Zelda and Ganon and swap them with Larry, Zoe and Gary and it's just an open world game that is done really well. The open world shines. The Zelda aspects are total garbage.

i dont really get what you mean by this. "a zelda game" is a game about a little dude named link who runs around chopping up enemies with swords and exploring stuff and thats exactly what botw was? the only other zelda games ive played are the very first one and link to the past, and botw just felt like a more modern (tech wise and world design wise) version of those games. where is the failure?

i mean its also true of the very first zelda game that you could swap the characters out with larry, zoe, and gary and its an open world game (circa 1986) done very well. and i wouldnt call zelda a failure as a zelda game since it kind of invented the whole thing.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 18, 2019

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

I can't get over how bad Rage 2 is in nearly every aspect except the way the guns feel. The objectives, the driving, the open world, the voice acting, the enemy design, the enemy AI, the loot and progression system, it might be the worst video game that I've played in years, it feels like a weak effort for the 360 era even.

i used to be a big fan of the just cause series but avalanche really hosed that one up lately so i knew not to bother with rage2 even though the trailers looked kind of cool

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you guys seem to forget that actual children exist and also love zelda in spite of the fact that they didnt play the old zelda games 20 years ago

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kingdom come is pretty decent now but i liked mount and blade a lot better. they were supposedly working on a new one and had some cool screenshots but that was years and years ago i guess it never happened

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

But this is like, the developer directly and unambiguously lied about objective things like "the game has multiplayer".

wait what? i dont remember the kingdom come devs ever saying that, i only remember it being talked about as a single player rpg even in early days.

there were some broken quests at launch and a few people lost save data but i think saying "thousands of people were hosed" is a bit of a stretch

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

I thought we were talking about No Man's Sky.

oh my bad if so that was a very different situation

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont mind rockstar style controls that much it just takes some getting used to. i actually liked the driving in gtav

i just started playing a game called american fugitive which is basically a modern take on the original, top down gta but set in the deep south in the 80's, its pretty great so far

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

burial posted:

How good is AF? I have fond memories of GTA2 and definitely could use a distraction at the moment, but $ is going to be tight for awhile so I gotta be picky.

im enjoying it. i dont know what system you have but its currently on sale on the switch for like $16 and i'd say it's worth that

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The goon consensus on Papers, Please is that it's good and worth it right? I've had it on my list forever but I keep passing it over. I've got some free time coming up this week and I'm looking for something to get me through it.

yes its good. granted there's not a lot of it, but for a $10 game its interesting and pretty unique

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Which games can you count on your audience having heard of? With movies and popular music, the audience isn't terribly fragmented, but the audience for video games is much less concentrated in the top sellers. That makes criticism at more than a superficial level very hard.

the audience for popular music is extremely fragmented and to the point where definitions of "popular music" are themselves inconsistent and divisive

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok i think i have an actual unpopular opinion:

sony deserves more of the blame for the No Mans Sky debacle than hello games

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lambert posted:

So you think Sony is to blame for the developer getting carried away and lying about what features the game has in interviews?

i suspect sony strongly pressured them to release the game way earlier than they intended and quite likely pushed them to lie about what features were going to be ready to ship with the game. if the game had been released as a $20 "early access" title where it was clear that a lot of features like that were still in progress, none of that mess would have happened. or at least way, way less of it

Lodin posted:

If Sony had let Sean whatshisname say that the game was in early access there wouldn't have been half as much brouhaha. Just say that multiplayer is coming at a later point and most gamers would have understood. Obviously that would have let to less sales at launch but it would have saved face.
Either way, NMS these days is a great game and more or less what they promised during the announcement.

yeah this... except i wouldnt really agree that its a "great game". theyve added many interesting things including most of what was promised, but its still a "mile wide/inch deep" kind of experience and imo once youve seen a handful of planets theres not much point exploring the billions of others because they all look more or less the same

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Reloading was excellently does in realistic simulation game Mount and Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars.

10/10

i love M&B but im starting to fear that Bannerlord has gone the way of Star Citizen

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They haven't sold horse armor for thousands of dollars (yet).

i meant more in the "is it ever actually coming out" sense but your right at least they arent selling poo poo like that, they seem like good people from the little i know about them

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Duh I'm just saying that guy is gonna be there and he's gonna give y'all way more poo poo than you deserve.

one of those problems that would be solved if developers simply never ever read any kind of games forums or commentary

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

another sadly unpopular opinion:

The World Needs Console Ports of European Truck Driver 2 and American Truck Driver

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Completionism in video games is a mild form of mental illness and belays an attitude that games are simply collections of tasks which completely undermines any attempt to make games actually more enjoyable

lol

some people find completing tasks enjoyable, and i dont think thats an "illness" in any sense at all since the result, outside of video games, is poo poo getting done.

i enjoy games that are vaguely job like, such as the aforementioned Truck Driving simulators, except without the stress of real world consquences when you gently caress up by crashing the truck or whatever

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Completely agree with this but also think that spending 40 hours in an rpg to fulfil that urge easily qualifies as ‘mental illness’ without argument

depends on whether those 40 hours are consecutive or not

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Imagine if you spent 40 hours digging holes in your backyard for no real reason, they’d lock you up

lol no they wouldnt. i dont know what country you live in but america you are entirely free to go dig a bunch of holes in your backyard for no real reason without fear of imprisonment.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

That’s not actually true you could really hurt yourself just digging holes like a crackhead for that long, I can accept blindly checking off achievements in shadow of war is probably less self destructive than digging holes for 40 hours

again if you are talking 40 hours in a row of course thats insane whether you are talking about games or digging holes but goon poopsock stereotypes notwithstanding i dont think thats how most people actually play video games

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about how we spent literally tens of thousands of years exclusively exchanging our culture verbally via rote memorisation and now that part of my brain is pretty much entirely made up of Simpson’s quotes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Burns,_a_Post-Electric_Play

quote:

Shortly after an unspecified apocalyptic event, a group of survivors gather together and begin to attempt to recount the episode "Cape Feare" of the television show The Simpsons. The second act picks up with the same group seven years later, who have now formed a theatrical troupe that specializes in performing Simpsons episodes, with commercials and all. The final act is set an additional 75 years in the future. The same episode of The Simpsons, now a familiar myth, has been reworked into a musical pageant, with the story, characters, and morals repurposed to fit the artistic and dramatic needs of a culture still reeling from destruction of civilization and the near-extinction of humanity decades earlier.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

someone should make a game for xbox 1 that is a flight simulator where you just fly around google earth with all of the 3d buildings etc that are in google earth

i know google earth itself, on the computer, has a super basic lovely "flight simulator" thrown into it but thats not what i mean. i mean something like the latest ms flight simulator, but with just google earth at its highest res instead of having to patch together a bunch of scenery packs and all that crap. and on the xbox 1.

thank you

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lambert posted:

You're not going to get that, modding and having reasonable input options with plenty of keys are a very integral part of the sim scene. It's PC or bust.

i know. this is the unpopular videogame opinions thread. my ideal flight sim is basically 100% the opposite of what "the sim scene" wants and im well aware of that.

i just want to fly around on a very detailed earth on a big screen. i really dont need to simulate an instruments only landing in cessna during a thunderstorm, though that would be a plus but im happy to attempt it with an xbox controller

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

normally i understand why things get popular and i enjoy many extremely popular games and franchises but i cannot wrap my head around the animal crossing hype it looks boring and the art style is super uninspired. admittedly i have never played it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i didnt grow up on the mgs games and dont know much about them but i thought death stranding was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive never tried vr personally and most of the vr-specific ive seen look dumb conceptually, but the idea of playing forza horizon in vr sounds incredibly awesome and if it were possible and affordable to do so i totally would. or euro truck for that matter.

seems like it would be terrible for fps games and im not into the kind of puzzle games that seem popular for the medium, but for driving games and flight sims it seems like it could be great