Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Helf-Life's focus on story-telling and scripted cinematic sequences gave birth to the generation of walking simulators and non-game games we are suffering through right now, it has been rightfully reevaluated as a terrible moment in gaming.

source of half-life being re-evaluated as terrible please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

i knew somebody would say this, its obviously different when something has cultural significance and history and also a large amount of competition and prestige and money to be made

your right being a starcraft champion in korea is a pretty big deal agreed

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

but the fastest glitch allowed run of castlevania bloodlines is not a big deal and is something that a healthy mind wouldn't want to do

Caesar Saladin posted:

obviously poker and chess are more legitimate pastimes than super wario land 2 for the gameboy at top speed no glitches

you seem to know quite a bit about this hobby only broke brain people occupy their time with

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah i've got a bit of a general curiosity about things and read and look at stuff occasionally to see what the deal is, after looking at the information available i came to the brokebrain conclusion, it took a whole lot less time than the act of learning speedrunning any game ever

i don't think they are losers, or that its wrong or whatever or anything like that, it can be fun to watch and agdq is cool, I just legitimately think that if you actually engage in speedrunning and practice speedrunning you probably have aspergers or some kind of autism spectrum disorder because the act of learning to speedrun can't be done by somebody with a regular brain, its impossible

yeah not trying to pick a bone or start a fight, completely agree that most people who are heavily invested in the speed running scene most likely have a few screws loose but i don't think they deserve all the negativity that a lot of people here give them

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

like if you're super good at a game and the only way you've ever been able to make friends is being good at a game then go for it, make some friends and be as happy as you can be

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Celeste is a great platformer.

It is not a great story.

im about 3/4 of the way through and really enjoying the whole 'climbing a mountain is a metaphor for dealing with your own personal issues' vibe, does it fall apart later on? like everything starts goinng wrong for her after she first looks in to a mirror, i thought that was great

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Cyberpope v2 posted:

That's because he finally got smart enough to realize chess sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mghCz-tmNqs

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

the invoker combos are still seared in to my brain even tho i haven't played in like 5 years, blinking in then tornado > meteor > deafening blast > refresher > meteor > deafening blast was the tits

e: and by combos i mean the actual key binds, can't remember the name of a band or song nowadays but still remember eew meteor wwq tornado qwe def blast eee sunstrike etc gently caress

razamataza fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 7, 2022

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Dark Souls is basically an old school RPG done in 3d. It's not anything special by that metric. It's just that so many others failed in trying to implement that old style in 3d. They all tried to make things more video gamey and fun. Fromsoft said gently caress having fun. Take Dark Souls, lay it out on a grid with random encounters and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from an old Ultima style game.

strong 'didn't get past the undead burg' vibes here

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I finished it and the DLC. DS2 is a dumpster fire, though.

no arguments there, it went through development hell which is plain to see

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

Glad we agree theres an entire new category of trash that I have to when I pick up sort out if its trash or actually does something worth investigating.

yeah so you can basically ignore them just like prosthetic upgrades in sekiro and move on or just fixate on them for some reason

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

You can only invade people that are playing co-op unless you find someone who has used the 'taunter's tongue' which allows people to invade you while playing solo

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

Almost done Sekiro and I cant shake this messy unfinished and rushed feeling to the game. Combat remains just tremendously not my bag and what Im doing in battle feels wrong since it is successfully winning me fights with bosses but not really engaging and I can't fathom the intention was to make boring combat.

what exactly are you doing in battle that feels wrong?

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

That makes sense, was struggling to imagine a non-engaging way of fighting the bosses but what you describe sounds awful

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

!Klams posted:

It's kind of related to cheating, but my unpopular opinion is that, custom maps where you get, like infinite oil Derricks right by your base in red alert, or like the map is just sniper corridors in counterstrike, aren't fun. And that they aren't fun for anyone, even the people who think they're fun.

Those kinds of things are systems. Like, having to gather resources to be able to build tanks is a system, that's in a balance. The naive way to see it is that the tank is the reward for the work of the resource gathering. Or that the good sniper spot is the reward for finding and getting to the sniper spot without dying.

But that fundamentally misrepresents what the system is. Its not a cost with a reward, like buying sweets, where the more sweets you get the better. Its a game, and the bit you're skipping is the game part, to get straight to the part where you score the goal.

But if you unilaterally remove the game part, then it just reduces the game. It's like If you took a soccer game, reduced both teams to one player, and you both just stood in front of open goals, kicking the ball in the net. Scoring the goal becomes the boring "work" part, and the reward becomes 'scoring the most goals'. Which is super dull.

Spamming the most expensive tank in RA becomes the only strategy. It mostly comes down to RNG. Counterstrike becomes a game of Microsoft Windows with the victory condition being "who's got the fastest Internet". Its just "less" game, not more of the good stuff. The good stuff is only good because its earnt.

It totally works for stuff like GTA though, because that game is mostly a sandbox. The restrictions there give you creative options, but removing them really is just giving you different creative options. There isn't really the same sense of 'goal', just a sense of 'play'.

what the actual gently caress does any of this mean? some people are having fun incorrectly? they are tricking themselves into believing they are having fun because you don't enjoy said thing?

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean, is it really? Trying to understand other people will drive you insane, there's way too much poo poo there and way too many people to comprehend the range of human opinion.

The problem is its just not that interesting to hear people say things like "I played the first 3 hours of Breath of the Wild, it was alright" or "call of duty games are fun, i like them", it's loving boring, yeah folk on here might be overly indulgent on over the top videogame opinions but what else would you rather read? people getting angry about politics? gently caress that

no i would be quite happy to read more long posts about not understanding the concept of fun it was fuckin funny

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

technically no because a lot of the funding goes towards yachts or w/e and not the development of the game itself

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

PookBear posted:

disco elysium has a great OST for setting the mood.

Yeah not often a game gets me in to a new band but I'm a big fan of Sea Power now.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

There weren't a lot of options back then. I still fondly remember playing Jedi Knight on the MSN Internet Gaming Zone though

Oh man, that was my first online gaming experience back on 56k. Playing Mysteries of the Sith with a 400 ping on the MSN gaming zone. Joining a clan and hanging out with everyone in the chat and having our own forum blew my 15 yo mind it was the best

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

so what kind of indie game are you capable of making that would sell billions? loving weird comparison lol

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

hadn't played Octopath Traveller1 so can't compare but the soundtrack in 2 is fantastic and worth playing even just for that

e: changing audio to jap also improved the experience immensely

razamataza fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 5, 2023

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

George posted:

Sorry for sincere posting, but can you outline what about the game has you interested? I'm still genuinely puzzled and want to understand.

Some of the highlights for me:

- It's visually spectacular even in performance mode
- Soken's composing is beautiful and the soundtrack slaps
- First two hours alone have some emotionally charged and brutal moments obviously Joshua getting covered head to toe in his father's blood, chocobos being brutally maimed, etc
- Voice acting is decent

Admittedly, the combat so far is pretty simple and it's not yet clear how much fun the abilities will be down the road, they have clearly made the game with accessibility in mind. I do also think the bosses so far are a little bit too spongey HP-wise with the fights being a little drawn out but we're at the very start of the game so just need to wait and see. I thoroughly enjoyed the Dragoon's appearance and executing well timed parries is fun.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

George posted:

to be clear, everquest is total dogshit but it also has a sense of mystery and I understand why people play(ed) it. I tried WoW and FFXIV and they're just the same thing but everything is spelled out for you and literally nothing is fun.

grouping up with a team of random adventurers to take on the Deadmines back in 2004 was a lot of fun at the time imo mostly because it was most peoples first MMO and youtube didn't exist so there was actually sense of mystery and exploration

can't imagine playing WoW ityool 2023 though lol

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Not having wonky hit boxes, mostly shite boss fights, and iframes tied to a stat does put Lies of P above Dark Souls 2 but that's a pretty low bar lol

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Dark Souls 2 tried some interesting things and even though it's my least favourite game in the series I think it has some of the most interesting story threads and really like the overall vibe and mood. It introduced power stancing, had a huge build variety, and undoubtedly the best covenants and online play in any souls game.

It's really a shame that it went through development hell, with Tanimura himself stating that ideally they would have rebuilt the game from the ground up after Shibuya was kicked off of the project but they only had 15 months to ship it so instead had to repurpose all of the existing assets and were not able to fix all of the god awful hit box and AI pathing bugs. No doubt a lot of people jump on the bandwagon to slam Dark Souls 2 because it's trendy but it's also just very obvious that it suffers from more technical issues and baffling design choices than the other games as a result of it's troubled development.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

I can't really be mad at The Last Guardian for being merely "ok" but like, goddamn, Shadow of the Colossus was genuinely great.

I'm playing through Shadow of the Colossus remaster for the first time and am absolutely loving it. I'm only on the second boss but what a mood the game has.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Yeah well maybe if From would loving port Bloodborne to PC already we wouldn't have to settle.

Pretty sure that it's not up to From as Sony owns the IP. But yeah a PC port or Bluepoint remake/remaster or even just a 60fps patch would make me happy.

e: This is a pretty interesting video by Lance McDonald on the frame rate constraints in BB and how he was able to modify the engine to run at 60 fps on a hacked playstation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0tqppZDYxw

razamataza fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 16, 2023

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Have fun William Henry Hairytaint. One of the good things about Elden Ring is if you get stuck you can generally go explore or fight something else. It's a big world! So big in fact that despite enjoying my initial play through I cannot be bothered going through it another time.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

people say video games are sports because they think it adds some kind of extra legitimacy to them but it doesn't, there's nothing that wrong with being a game and it doesn't make it any less valid than a sport. Like their dad is disappointed in them for not playing a sport but shut up dad, counterstrike is a sport, i'm basically a jock

are you ok m8?

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

I was going to buy RE4 Remake last night but think I'll wait until it's on sale, didn't realise it was 50 quid. I did buy the MGS remastered collection tho because I haven't played MGS since owning my original playstation and missed out on playing 2 and 3 despite absolutely loving 1 at the time.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Yeah that's spot on and I found the same in Dark Souls 1: On my first play through I spent a good while unsuccessfully trying to bulldoze my way through the graveyard/catacombs from Firelink before realising there was an alternate path leading to the Undead Burg with much easier mobs which suddenly made more sense.

Even though it's not actually open world the number of different routes that branch in to much larger areas you can travel between straight away (esp if you took the master key starting item) gives it an almost open world feel.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Occasionally it's nice to lie back on a big comfy sofa playing the PS5 on a massive TV imo

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You misspelled PC

Hey if people have a setup where they can play PC games while reclining on a couch then fair enough. My gaming PC is in another room so it's consoles in the living room for me

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I started replaying Sekiro because I started to wonder whether I maybe only remembered it as easy because I was on Adderall when I played it, but lmao no this game is way easier than even Dark Souls. Kind of running out of steam after killing Lady Butterfly so I probably won't keep going but at least it was fun the first time through

i mean lady butterfly is super early in the game and going to be a walk in the park if you have already beat the full game so kind of a weird benchmark, maybe if you had wiped the floor with genichiro at the very start instead

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Nice Van My Man posted:

Clowning on Genichiro right at the start is one of the highlights of any Sekiro replay.

Yep agreed!

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

had (still having) so much fun with Elden Ring that I picked up Dark Souls Remastered, Dark Souls III, and Sekiro from the Steam sale. Just trying out the first Dark Souls now, going in completely blind again. Haven't left the tutorial place yet because there's areas I can't seem to get to but I wanna see if I can find a way before I leave.

It feels quite familiar coming from Elden Ring, and not as janky as I'd feared it might be because it was an early entry. There's some jank for sure, but it's not unpleasant, and some of it is probably from the momentum and camera movement being just subtly different enough from Elden Ring to throw me off.

I am far more wrinkly than the character I made during creation though, lol. Gonna guess this Humanity stuff the boss dropped has something to do with that. I picked the Deprived starter class and it's kinda fun being a zombie with purple hair running around in my underwear clubbing dudes. Almost makes me not wanna equip armor when I find some.

I'm always happy to hear when someone starts playing DS1 for the first time! It definitely shows it's age and the combat is a bit slower than later games but I reckon you'll have a blast exploring Lordran since imo it has the best world design in the series.

One tip with regards to humanity since it's not explained in game is that in human form you can spend one humanity to kindle bonfires (requires another to reverse hollowing if hollow), this will increase the number of estus charges gained when resting at that bonfire. So that can be handy if you're really struggling in an area, humanity can also be used to restore your health too in a pinch but it's pretty sparse in the early game and can't be farmed until later so would only keep that as a last desperate option.

E: Keep us updated with your travels!

razamataza fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2023

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

The Kiln is a poo poo area and I think it's in the game only because the designers hate their player base and wanted them to have a pointless runback to try Gwyn again. Five Black Knights, the most backstabable enemies in the game, in very open areas isn't a challenge, it's just a waste of my loving time.

You could have just ran straight past the black knights rather than fight them every time, even the one on the narrow pathway. Itakes about 1 minute to sprint to Gwyn.

The entire game pounds into your head that combat is slow and methodical and does absolutely nothing to prepare a player to face a PCP Elemental with a flaming sword that has probably the longest reach of any weapon in the game.

It teaches you how to parry in the first 5 minutes lol tho tbf parrying Gwyn isn't immediately obvious since no other bosses can be parried.

razamataza fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 14, 2023

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Yeah it is a pretty annoying boss run tbf. Are you going on to Dark Souls 2 now?

E: Also it's a shame that you missed out on the DLC, you should definitely go back for that at some point because it has some of the best boss fights in the game

razamataza fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 14, 2023

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The thing that sucks about DS2 is

Nah what sucks is the shite boss fights, bad enemy AI, dodgy hit boxes, and snap point movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Khanstant posted:

They probably could've skipped 2 and 3 and just done Elden Ring as 2 and 3 are pretty much just more of the same with diminishing returns

Although 3 is overall pretty mid it does have some of the best boss fights/music in the series imo