Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Yeah I only had one goon ask about joining my group but I decided to not even get an mlb.tv account this year. I think I watched 1-2 games on it. I barely have time for Angels games and I can't use that for them anyways. Maybe if they lift the blackouts or if they let me enter my TWC information I'd get it again, but meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Carter Capps and Jordan Walden both do that whole "jump 1 foot closer to the plate" thing on their deliveries and have been cleared by MLB to do that because they do it every time and thus its not deceiving the batter or runners. If anyone else wants to try and jump even further forward (while beginning on the rubber) and do so every time, go for it.

Walden throws (or used to anyways) 100 and Capps throws pretty hard too I think? There was a study about "effective velocity" and because of his delivery mechanics putting him closer to the plate, he ends up throwing harder than Chapman.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Padres signed Jered Weaver to a 1yr/3M deal. He's good to eat some innings at least, I guess.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I realized I never looked at this year's schedule and who the Angels play (like vs NL). The Angels have four Mike Trout bobblehead giveaways this year. 3 different regular ones, and a double headed MVP. And.... Nolan Ryan.

Sounds like the Angels are due to spend a ton of money on a lovely player next off season. Hosmer for 100M+ sounds about right.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tony Phillips posted:

When you collide with Ichiro in the outfield, you find signs on your locker.

That is cool and he should get it framed.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I don't understand this forum's reluctance to believe that steroids have any effect on a baseball players abilities. I understand people being unwilling to make claims as to how much a player might benefit from steroids, because that is impossible to quantify, but to claim that they don't have any benefits at all is insane. There is more to baseball than just socking dingers. Big muscular guys can suck at it and thin dudes can have power, sure. Speed on the basepaths and in the outfield could be improved. Being able to deal with the grind of playing 6+ games a week for 5 months and the fatigue it puts on your body.

Just because there isn't a study saying "steroids will give you a 5% increase on batted ball speed which will increase home runs by 10% and you'll pick up 5% more running speed which will lead to 20% more stolen bases" doesn't mean there isn't any benefits.

cis autodrag posted:

But do they help you see a fast-moving ball and hit it precisely? Because just having big muscles doesn't mean you can hit a ball.

Well yes, actually. There are steroids that can improve your vision. Maybe you can practice more and take more BP if you aren't tired because you recover faster, leading to better hand-eye coordination and swing path.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I got to watch the Angels' hopes of a winning season end on the second game of the season last year. I don't have plans to go to the opening series just yet but will probably start thinking about it once it gets closer to the season. Home opener being so much more expensive sucks.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Yeah today (and yesterday) was pretty light in comparison. Last week there was some pretty torrential downpours, and we've had many heavy rainstorms this year.

Danny Espinosa's beard is loving fantastic.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

Technically atoms never touch so can one truly ever be "out"?

The ball is never in the glove, but the runner is never on the base.

Going to replay could change the outcome so the call stands.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

YeahTubaMike posted:

I swear to god I'm not trying to burn anyone here, but I have to ask -- which one?

The guy with the big goofy beard wearing the "Make Baseball Fun Again" hat, probably.

My favorite thing about Trout is how badly he owns some of the best AL West pitchers: Felix, Darvish, Keuchel, etc. (Just not Iwakuma)

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 2, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

David Prices mechanics look like the videos they show you at baseball camps. Its like a work of art

IF HE ISNT SAFE THEN NO ONE IS SAFE

Everyone touted Matt Moore at having perfect mechanics and free and easy mid 90s fastballs and he got TJS. I don't know how much I still by in to pitching mechanics for injuries. Maybe for repeatability and stuff but not for TJS.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Pancakes posted:

Wasn't there some team, I want to say the Royals, that was marking different fielder alignments with paint in the outfield last year?

It was the Dodgers I think. They were using a laser range finder in pregame drills and then leaving markers.

Now teams will just have to make divots in the grass.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I feel like Capps' and Walden's deliveries should be grandfathered in. Brutal to expect them to alter their mechanics several years into their big league careers.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
That Donaldson trade was so bad at first and has gotten worse over time.

Angels are like 7-0 in spring training with a ton of 1 run wins, setting up for an 8-20 start in April like they usually do.

+11 run differential with several walkoffs

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 4, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Well then you should be happy to know that Danny Espinosa shaved his beard.

RIP the dream.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Seems like a distraction to me.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

YeahTubaMike posted:

I want to say I've heard worse, but I can't think of any examples and I'm not sure that Berman's "BACK BACK BACK"-ing counts as a call, per se.

"Touch 'em all time" is the worst call in baseball.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Troy Queef posted:

The Cards are doing something actually kinda cool this year: for $30 a month, you get an SRO ticket delivered via At Bat to every game except Opening Day, with guaranteed access to any giveaways. (Plus, the ushers at Busch don't really mind if you take over an open seat after a few innings.)

$30/mo for SRO? Thats insane. I went to a random Cubs game the one tuesday night I was in Chicago and spent like $70 for an SRO ticket. I think it was against the Cards but it wasn't an Arrieta start.

I'd probably take that if the Angels offered it, getting a seat is no problem at all even on busy nights. My friend only buys the cheapo $5 tickets and always ends up field level.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

Wasn't there another Cuban player who came over and did the same thing? Was it Yoenis?

http://deadspin.com/aroldis-chapman...dium=socialflow

If those are anything like what you can get at Portos in LA area, I could definitely power down a dozen and then feel really really lovely the rest of the day.

Also, got tickets from my boss for Angels/Dodgers this Thursday. Not sure if I'm going to get tickets for real games right away, haven't looked in to getting any just yet.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

tadashi posted:

Susan Slusser mentioned in an interview that a fan suggested the A's build a ballpark on a floating island that they can just move wherever they want it. I cannot wait for Flotilla Park.

If they move the ballpark to a different city every year and also trade away all their players and start each season with a completely different roster, are they even the same team anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
^^^ Also that time he did that to the Angels at the end of the 8th (4 out save) and then promptly gave up the win in the 9th.

kensei posted:

Signed, every Angels fan

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 3, 2017

• Locked thread