Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A bunch of the biggest sports legends of all time ever in America were baseball players, it isn't like there's something fundamental to the game that precludes superstardom. I think it is just a combination of ineffective marketing and hangover from McGwire/Bonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
He's hard to meme and even the ones that should be slam dunks are complete slap dash jobs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Oh come on guys, you don't think his fascination with weather patterns is cool?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Kris Bryant should be touted as the premier player in the league, mostly because he's an excellent player, plays in the third largest market, and he's amazingly handsome. The current generation's Jeter, minus the gift baskets and perhaps before a Chicago dynasty

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

As does the NBA, and the NHL, and pretty much any other major sport. Baseball is just terrible at marketing their players in general. And then when Harper tried to self promote himself last year, he got completely and utterly poo poo on from every direction. Guys like Kershaw/Harper/Trout/Bryant/etc should be plastered everywhere as the faces of the brand.

My roommate and I are going to drive down to see an Angel's game this year, the only reason being we realized that neither of us had ever seen Mike Trout in person and it was our duty as baseball fans to go at least once so we could say we saw one of the best players of all time in their prime.

The NBA is incredible at promoting its stars, what the hell?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bewbies posted:

A bunch of the biggest sports legends of all time ever in America were baseball players, it isn't like there's something fundamental to the game that precludes superstardom. I think it is just a combination of ineffective marketing and hangover from McGwire/Bonds.

I still think it's because he is just great at everything and not amazing at one thing. He's never hit 50 home runs, 200 hits, stolen a huge amount of bags. He is just great accross the board which is way harder to market than Bonds hitting a billion dingers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Oh come on guys, you don't think his fascination with weather patterns is cool?

I feel like some kind of campaign with him and Donaldson would be hilarious, but then again I love puns.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

He's agreeing with that statement.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Baseball in general is not a great outlet for showcasing how good of an athlete someone is. I mean, if you watch regularly, you'd know, but the opportunities to do something freakishly athletic come way less frequently than in football or basketball.

That's true, and especially for outfielders. Brandon Crawford makes a highlight reel play every night but OF don't get as many chances to get on Sportscenter.

If Trout could do this every day no one would be calling him a boring player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLmBwFRKkjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYi34HnHmc

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My dad hasn't watched basketball in 30 years and he knows Lebron and Steph Curry.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Luigi Thirty posted:

My dad hasn't watched basketball in 30 years and he knows Lebron and Steph Curry.

I mean you've got the finals matchups going there, hell my mom has never cared at all about any sport other than specifically Royals baseball and she was gushing about the NBA finals after checking out like game 5 one night when she didn't find something else to watch on TV (and then coming back for the rest of the series).

That isn't going to help a guy like Trout in the foreseeable future.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think you get major name recognition in the same way in baseball. You really have to be connected to the major markets to make it big, and even then I don't think of Bryant or Posey as being big recognizable media stars. Jeter's been the biggest "name" in baseball of the past 50 years. Bonds before 2000 was talked about in the same way as say Tony Gwynn.

Your Taint posted:

I knew Mike Trout has been good, but I didn't know he's been Mickey Mantle good over his first 6 years. Let's just hope he doesn't develop knee and drinking problems.

https://twitter.com/zabate/status/836953950964355072/photo/1
He's been better than Mantle.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There's also a big difference in the effect of star players between baseball and basketball, which is why Trout is stuck pumping up a hopeless team while LeBron James is assumed to make the finals every year regardless of supporting cast.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I also think part of the difference is that you see a LOT more ads with NBA players in them hawking various things than MLB guys. I'm sure there are MLB endorsements, but you mostly see them in baseball rags or during baseball games. If you're not already a fan, you're probably not aware.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's... what I was trying to say? Almost every other major sport besides the MLB is fantastic at promoting stars, even on teams that are otherwise not good.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

That's... what I was trying to say? Almost every other major sport besides the MLB is fantastic at promoting stars, even on teams that are otherwise not good.

My bad, sorry.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

NBA stars are a lot more marketable because they're on the court without pads, hats, sunglasses, or helmets, so you can see their faces. LeBron is on the court for 78% of the game on average, and he's one of only 5 players on his team on the court, so he gets a LOT of screen time, as do the other superstars from their respective teams. A player like Trout is only up to bat once every 2-3 innings and is only on camera in the field when he needs to field a ball hit to center. If it's a sunny day (usually the case in Southern California) he's wearing a hat, eye black, and sunglasses, all of which obscure his face. It's a lot harder to market someone like that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

NBA stars are a lot more marketable because they're on the court without pads, hats, sunglasses, or helmets, so you can see their faces. LeBron is on the court for 78% of the game on average, and he's one of only 5 players on his team on the court, so he gets a LOT of screen time, as do the other superstars from their respective teams. A player like Trout is only up to bat once every 2-3 innings and is only on camera in the field when he needs to field a ball hit to center. If it's a sunny day (usually the case in Southern California) he's wearing a hat, eye black, and sunglasses, all of which obscure his face. It's a lot harder to market someone like that.

The thing I notice about NBA or NFL marketing is that very frequently the advertising for a game is only about stars. When Miami played the Bucks a couple years back the advertising for the series was almost all about LeBron. Even in Milwaukee most of the posters and billboards were like "See LEBRON and the heat On <DATE>". With the NFL Packers games are constantly like "Can Aaron Rodgers do it again?"

These sports work very hard at linking specific names to the success of teams. Which might not be fair to the other talented players who support them, but it increases the viewership overall so it's good for everybody.

There's a lot of people who consider themselves football fans who could probably only name the QB and a couple other notable guys on their team. Most of the people I know who self-describe as baseball fans can name the whole 40-man roster and a shitload of top prospects too. Football has the super-obsessed fantasy guys, but they also have that casual fanbase by making a lot of it about personalities. Baseball just doesn't do that. Especially when someone who's too successful gets buried half the time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The NBA is covered like a soap opera, which is why it is so compelling. The NFL is propped up by gambling and fantasy. Baseball media is a bunch of Hat Guys who yell at everyone trying to be fun and baseball players actively attack fun dudes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A friend of a friend recruited me for his Fantasy Baseball league. I've never played fantasy sports before.

How big a mistake have I made?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Some Numbers posted:

A friend of a friend recruited me for his Fantasy Baseball league. I've never played fantasy sports before.

How big a mistake have I made?

Depends, how autistic are you?

Can you weaponize your autism?

(here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807762)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Hey buttheads

Go post your SAS dogs in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811369

Or if you don't wanna do that go vote for my dog Maggie, she's the best anyway.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Glad you were having Trout chat. I was thinking of making gifs/clips this season of the little things Trout does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk1sqSjxQWc

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
gently caress Mike Trout. And Altuve. And Kyle Seager. And Khris Davis.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I follow baseball.

I spend huge parts of my free time reading about it. And big parts of my evenings during the season watching games. I watch other teams, I still collect baseball cards. Mike Trout is a phenom talent and the best position player in the game, hands down for me.

That said if he was eating in a restaurant or walking around in street clothes I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What up spring training thread. I live in the middle of the grapefruit league so I'm super lucky this time of year, going to the Rays at Jays on Sunday, Rays at Pirates next Friday, then to the Rays vs. Twins the Friday after that. Pirates park is awesome and has a Jersey Mike's kiosk making Big Kahuna cheese steaks all game long :)

Baseball is cool.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tom Gorman posted:

That said if he was eating in a restaurant or walking around in street clothes I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd.

do you live on cardassia prime?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

From my understanding, Mike Trout only eats at Subway.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sydin posted:

And hey, one guys even has an actual personality!

I swear to god I'm not trying to burn anyone here, but I have to ask -- which one?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

From my understanding, Mike Trout only eats at Subway.

Nah, he likes super pretzels too:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
on the back it says something like "i remember eating pretzels when i was a kid. they are good."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tom Gorman posted:

I follow baseball.

I spend huge parts of my free time reading about it. And big parts of my evenings during the season watching games. I watch other teams, I still collect baseball cards. Mike Trout is a phenom talent and the best position player in the game, hands down for me.

The Yankees regularly posted pictures of various team members in street clothes checking out various NYC landmarks and even I couldn't recognize them half of the time. MLB players should be required to wear at least a cap at all times.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

The Yankees regularly posted pictures of various team members in street clothes checking out various NYC landmarks and even I couldn't recognize them half of the time. MLB players should be required to wear at least a cap at all times.

and their uniforms should have names as well as numbers.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

YeahTubaMike posted:

I swear to god I'm not trying to burn anyone here, but I have to ask -- which one?

The guy with the big goofy beard wearing the "Make Baseball Fun Again" hat, probably.

My favorite thing about Trout is how badly he owns some of the best AL West pitchers: Felix, Darvish, Keuchel, etc. (Just not Iwakuma)

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 2, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

and their uniforms should have names as well as numbers.

HELL NO gently caress OFF WITH THAT poo poo.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

cis autodrag posted:

on the back it says something like "i remember eating pretzels when i was a kid. they are good."

Guy is full of personality. He is also very interested in weather

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Trout is noticeable in a crowd just based on his ridiculous neck girth.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Trout is noticeable in a crowd just based on his ridiculous neck girth.

You see a guy in the crowd, he's not distinctive but you know you've seen him somewhere. You make your way closer, looking, trying to be inconspicuous while you try to place his face. You keep edging towards him, until you're within arms reach. Extending your hands, you gently try to get your fingers to touch around his neck, but cannot.

Then you are sure, this man is Mike Trout.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Inspector_666 posted:

That is one beefy farm hunk. He's is great shape, I bet he just got out of the military, or maybe even the marines and he's home visiting his family. What a great guy. Thank you for your service young man.

wait hang on he's puttin on a hat

holy fcuk thats MIKE TROUT

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I want to officially apologize for ridiculing people who said Trout would be as good as Mantle when he was a rookie. I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

YeahTubaMike posted:

Rizzo, albeit "has a personality" by MLB standards. Bryant has a huge passion for baseball and... not much else, so he comes off a a bit one note.

• Locked thread