Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I took batting practice for the first time since October and now I'm sore. It's definitely spring training!

BSOHL stories, bring em on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Poque and I went to Spring Training last year and it was magical. :allears:

This has been the mildest Winter in Chicago's history, so it doesn't even feel like baseball season should be close yet.

I just got an email that we are heaving a team practice outdoors this saturday... It's February and it's going to be 62.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bartolo actually looks like he lost a little weight in that photo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bryant getting progressively more frustrated that he can't hit a BP curve ball is fantastic.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

Somebody's Cubs Chat is in the BSOHL

2016 was a candle compared to the nuclear meltdowns I'm prepared to have in 2017.

Best Posting of My Life

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Little league is the only time were it's acceptable and cool as hell to slide into 1st.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I only played 1 year of baseball in high school and I was on the JV team. We were absolutely terrible, a bunch of us just signed up to play cause we were bored and thought it would be funny. The coach was our math teacher who had never coached before. We won only a single game all year and usually we got mercy ruled by the 3rd inning. It was really fun though and it's what made me want to get back into playing after college.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Stick to your job and let the professionals (people with Twitter accounts) handle the politics. Alright?

It's especially dumb because his wife is Iranian and they can't go visit her family, so it literally directly effects him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I would absolutely have Szczur over La Stella but we already have a bajillion outfielders so it's likely not gonna happen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

This is awesome:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/741771...dbpr=3058150694

Home movie footage of Ted Williams coaching a young Mike Piazza on hitting.

Ted Williams is my favourite player to listen to talk about hitting, he was so ahead of the curve for his time and really laid the foundation for more modern hitting analysis.

If you haven't read his short book "The Science of Hitting" I highly recommending it even if you don't play. There is ton's of good information in that book about being an educated and thoughtful hitter.

The end of that video is pretty funny when the 3rd guy is talking about how he met Tony Gwynn and the advice he gave him was "take the knob to the ball" which is a classic hitting cliche that is total garbage. He even says how after talking with Gwynn he went to the cage and tried "knob to the ball" and fowled 9 balls straight up into the air haha. Lesson is not every great hitter is a great teacher.

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 21, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Teaser is out for Prince Fielders new cooking show titled "Fielders Choice".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl56-99Kweo

It appears to just be Prince Fielder eating food on camera.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

will_colorado posted:

doing away with the 4 pitch intentional walk does diddly-poo poo about any real pace of play issues.

You're getting 10's of seconds of your life back each year!

Yeah I agree some of this stuff is just dumb and changing poo poo just for the sake of changing poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

A coworker's friend is starting a vintage baseball team (apparently Wisconsin has a pretty active vintage league) and I'm thinking of joining. It sounds pretty fun. Have any of you done something like that? They play with late-1800s period equipment and uniforms so I'm guessing I'll have to bat Brooks Conrad style to keep my hands from getting torn up.

Just remember to stand up perfectly straight with your legs about 6 inches apart and hold the bat at hip height and completely horizontal as if you can barely hold the weight of your bat, you'll be %95 of the way there.

We had a SAS Baseball Players thread but it fell into archives over the winter break unfortunately :( I've had no one to show all the stupid poo poo I bought over winter in an effort to stave of insanity of no baseball.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also no player would actually be incentivized by that. If anything a bunch of players would probably slow down and step out of the box more as a middle finger to the league. Players are already superstitious enough, if you try to take away their rituals they'll inevitably blame their poor performance on the MLB attempting to make the speed up the game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Giving minor leaguers saltine crackers should be enough of an incentive.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not pictured a gun pointed at his head just out of frame.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let's chat about pointless baseball games.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811273

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Players who have greasy hair and scraggly beards are great, they embrace the fact they've made it in life. They are being paid millions of dollars to play baseball and don't have to give a poo poo about how they look and I think it's fantastic. Colby Rasmus should be looked up to in this regard, more mullets well we're at it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've gone to the home opener 3 of the last 4 years, I'm not gonna make it this year.

Looking at ticket prices, looks like I'll be watching a lot baseball on MLB.tv this year!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I really hope the one home opener you missed wasn't the only good home opener in the last 4 years (2016).

I was there for that, it was an awesome game! Opening day is a ton of fun but it's also a total crapshoot if it's gonna be nice and 50 degrees or sleeting and 32.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Were you at the pisscups game?

That's the one I missed :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He has steadily improved in the free-swinging strikeout department so there is hope he can become a disciplined hitter. He has the swing to be a Stanton he just needs to learn how to manage it.

He makes a lot of bone headed plays that somehow turn out in his favour in the wackiest fashion.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm so desperate for baseball I'm watching a rerun of the Cubs spring training game that ended 1-1 from earlier today. It's something atleast.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Learn this one simple swing technique to improve your OPS 900 points! Pitchers hate him!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

"retooling your swing" works as a survivor's bias. We only remember the times it worked and the times it didn't are lost to the annals

Yeah basically this. Making tweaks to your swing/stride whatever can help some players but it won't magically fix your timing or help you identify breaking balls. By the time you make it to the majors you probably have a pretty solid fundamental swing from a mechanics standpoint.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You're not hitting .300 in beer league softball? The mendoza line is like .430.

With a 1.000 SLG

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Was there a typhoon or was the field designed for absolutely no drainage?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

If anything, testicles get in the way of regular sporting activities way more than breasts would.

A ground ball to the nuts is a much more likely scenario.

We have a woman playing on one of my baseball teams, wife of one of the players. She got tired of softball and decided to try baseball and it's worked out well. People are dumb.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

All this is going to do is lead to fewer overturned calls, including plenty of cases where the evidence is fairly clear but the Umps in NYC can't convince themselves because of whatever dumb minutia.

Technically atoms never touch so can one truly ever be "out"?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh come on guys, you don't think his fascination with weather patterns is cool?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah all those "time saving" rule changes are doing absolutely nothing. Just implement the pitch clock and get it over with.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Imagine coming this close to making it in the big leagues and MLB creates a rule specifically to gently caress you over, lol.

I mean it definitely should be against the rules because it's obviously a big advantage for the pitcher. You'd think one of his coaches along the way would have sat him and down and tried to convince him to move to a more regular pitching style just in case this sort of thing happened. Like there was no way he was gonna get away with it forever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SlumPrince posted:

Could the way the Cards often mow the Arch onto the grass be considered a marker on the field? If so, gently caress that.

I highly doubt they would go that far. It would also apply to a lot of other teams too if that was the case.

It's really just to stop blatant cases.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I highly doubt that this was the first time his delivery was ever shown in slow motion. And his delivery was explicitly approved by MLB until now.

He'd been challenged before in the minors though. Same thing needs to happen with Urias "pick off".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Cardinals offered him more money than the Cubs (without an opt-out). Also it's 11 ABs in spring training so I wouldn't quite jump the gun on declaring Heyward a lost cause.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

stop listening to that idiot. seriously, ignoring him and the other three or four awful cubs fans made this thread at least checkable

So like 90% of the posts in these threads are blank for you?

Oh poo poo, maybe you can't see this...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
God I'm so ready for baseball to start. I've been phone recording my own swing in the apartment because it's too cold to hit off a tee outside. The pseudo spring we had in Chicago the past month has made this recent cold unbearable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I still have this 3/4 long sleeve I wear too practice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jason Heyward can go sit on Montrose beach for the next 7 years. Mission Accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Injury correlating to performance? That's just confirmation bias, I'm not gonna fall into the SABER nerds trap.

Clearly on field performance is a direct reflection of a players innate grit and hustle and no fancy numbers gonna change my mind.

• Locked thread