Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I like how Bryant didn't even want to let him throw at first and then like two seconds later 'this sound guy's got a pretty good curve.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's easy to stop working out like a professional athlete. It's not easy to stop eating like a professional athlete.

Not generally a problem in baseball but it can work the other way too for guys who aren't naturally big but play sports where being big is important. Nick Hardwick is one of the more striking examples, he went from this:

to this in like 7 freaking months:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was a tee ball pitcher. I made sure to religiously look runners back to the bag before fake throwing. I'd even do it when no one was on base.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey, someone has to play the position :colbert:

I went on to be an actual pitcher for a while but I think my true glory days were standing on the mound at five years old, staring down the batter without a ball in my hand.

vv--I honestly didn't know there was another way to do it, I haven't been to a tee ball game maybe since I was playing in one

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 17, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oops actually after looking it up/remembering backyard baseball it wasn't pitcher's hand rules. My job was literally to stand there and fake like I was throwing a pitch to let the batter know the defense was ready?

Hell I don't know, things were weird in the 80s.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

I wish my little-league coach had been cool but instead he was a hyper-competitive jackass who regularly poo poo on seven year-olds for not being naturally talented as baseball. Unfortunately I fell into this category and after failing to instantly perform at any position I was relegated to LF and never given any form of instruction on anything until I finally quit. Also the only hit I ever got was a weak infield dribbler and after the inning was over coach came up to me and called it a "pussy hit".

Manhattan, IL was and probably still is a terrible place.

If it's anything like my experience he probably didn't know poo poo about baseball either. Growing up my dad knew more about baseball than any of my actual coaches (he didn't have the time to coach because of work) and he didn't know all that much. In high school we were lucky enough to have an old minor league guy and it was like night and day. Just like, the concept of soft toss was new to all of us and that's the easiest thing in the world to do. All you need is two guys, a bat and a ball. Maybe a chain link fence if you don't have people to shag and just want to work on your swing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Lol if your little league wasn't in the Reagan administration. Just lol.

:negative:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NiceGuy posted:

Ah yes, get that man with the 107 OPS+ a ten year deal stat!

You don't understand, he's an excellent defensive first baseman.

I'm actually curious to see what he ends up getting, I'm sure he values himself a lot higher than the market will but I don't know just how much more.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Is this a thing people believe, or is it just something the Royals are pushing? Because he's bad according to literally every defensive metric there is. He's also a bad baserunner, which is only going to get worse with time.

He's got thee gold gloves so someone once believed it. The Royals definitely push it constantly though, like way past the point of believability.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Is pace of play really an issue for so many fans that we need a play clock, and substitution limits, and college football style overtime rules, and no more September callups, and all these radical rule changes? Are there that many people who would watch baseball, if only the games were ten minutes shorter?

This is the disconnect between the discussion and what they're thinking. They don't care about the fans they have now, we're stuck and probably going to stay around anyway. They're spitballing ideas to try to get new fans.

Whether these ideas will do anything about that is pretty damned arguable, but that's the aim. Something about millennials goes here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I honestly don't even know what an argument against a non-instant intentional walk is, other than that cool thing Miggy did once.

Pitchers get the yips sometimes throwing at a catchers glove held out to the side and it's hilarious when it happens every few years.

More to your point an intentional walk doesn't really slow the game down much so, sure, whatever. Change it. It just isn't the problem.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

An actual, for real, neckbeard in the wild. And not on an Amish man. Impressive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, honestly surprised Mike Trout only did that once (and it was his rookie year). He's been running less recently but was one homer off of doing it again last year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Timby posted:

career .289 OBP lol

Yeah he sucks. I'll give you Whit Merrifield for him since I'm in a good mood.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Players with a worse BB/K ratio than Baez in 2016, minumum 400PA:

1 Tim Anderson
2 Paulo Orlando

He's a below-average offensive player, and if he doesn't improve his plate discipline he'll continue to be so. He's clearly good defensively, but if he doesn't keep putting up 2 dWAR a season his overall value is going to be minimal.

Sounds like a Royal to me. The Whit Merrifield trade is on the table, just call me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

:hfive:

I'm 2 for 2 on picking Yankees prospects who then immediately leave the team.

This is why I've stuck with a dead coach (and sadly now dead link) for years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Luigi Thirty posted:

My dad hasn't watched basketball in 30 years and he knows Lebron and Steph Curry.

I mean you've got the finals matchups going there, hell my mom has never cared at all about any sport other than specifically Royals baseball and she was gushing about the NBA finals after checking out like game 5 one night when she didn't find something else to watch on TV (and then coming back for the rest of the series).

That isn't going to help a guy like Trout in the foreseeable future.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man he'll never get drafted with all that time away from football if he can't go through the drills.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Good Dog posted:

Everyone touted Matt Moore at having perfect mechanics and free and easy mid 90s fastballs and he got TJS. I don't know how much I still by in to pitching mechanics for injuries. Maybe for repeatability and stuff but not for TJS.

Didn't people drool over Mark Prior's mechanics too before Dusty Baker killed him? Maybe it wasn't Prior, I remember hearing a lot about it with one of the guys in those Baker Cubs rotations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

:lol: "disrespect the pitcher"

A bat flip is a pretty mild celebration of an on-field accomplishment. Professional pitchers should be able to handle the indignity of seeing their opponent toss their equipment away with a slight flourish.

What if the batter crosses the mound on their way to the dugout after making an out? Can we throw at them then?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

And if he has to go on the DL after one of them I bet the first thing out of your mouth won't be "ah well, just part of the game".

I was reading that the other way, as in once Rizzo gets hit half the Cubs fans here will be out for blood.

Popete posted:

If you can get hit by a 20 MPH pitch than you absolutely deserve it.

Is it possible to throw a 20mph ball that makes it to the plate? I guess it probably is, but I kind of imagine little leaguers throwing at 30-40 or so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hand Knit posted:

Is this discussion going anywhere good?

In less than a month there will be baseball, so until then it's this or BSOHL chat.

I guess we could talk about Israel of all teams being a near lock for the next round in the WBC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bob James posted:

I'm fine with beaning as long as you can do this to the pitcher.

It's always the catchers who pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2uGROwr-rY

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ego symphonic posted:

I don't think anyone is as fast as Hamilton

Terrance Gore :colbert: Just a shame he doesn't have any other baseball related skill.

Haha, I just looked it up and he has more than double the stolen bases as he does MLB plate appearances. 19 SBs, 9 PAs. 0 Hits, 0 Walks 2 HBP. 23 SB if we include the postseason. What a weird career.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 8, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

Are good and cool, both players are consenting and aware of the fight.

Eh, they're pretty bad. Just for what it does to guys brains, some of those enforcers end up just as punch drunk as if they were boxers. For an overall benefit to the health of players I'd rather see fighting in hockey banned than throwing at players banned.

Not that it matters, hockey will never change it. And I suppose the majority of the guys who fight a lot probably wouldn't be NHL players if they didn't fight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tadashi posted:

Also, just to point out, doesn't the rest of the world play without body checking or did I misunderstand that?

As far as I know the only competitive (as in, like professional or semi-pro) leagues that don't have body checking are the women's leagues. Well, roller hockey if you count that I guess.

e: Checking's in the NCAA's rules too, although they're more likely to penalize for lesser infractions.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hahaha, bases loaded with no one out for Tebow.

e: grounded weakly to second for a double play. Crowd goes wild. Not joking about that, crowd actually loudly cheering.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 8, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't want to sound like a crumbum, but gently caress this Tebow poo poo.

It's ridiculous and dumb and in theory I guess he's taking playing time away from some actual prospect. But it's still pretty fun to laugh at, I mean celebrity spring training invites have probably had more business being there in past years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your Taint posted:

So it's hockey's version of the DH?

Yeah I went there.

Most DH's would still be MLB players and below average defensive guys, most John Scott's wouldn't ever sniff the NHL and then become all star game MVPs.

Since I guess I'm leaving this stupid game on in the background while I work Tebow HBP, then doubled off of first base on a lineout. Would have been safe if he'd slid back into the base.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

Tim Tebow was a good college football player who washed out of the NFL and is only playing baseball because the Mets are a loving joke of an organization yet MLB are eating it up.

I don't like him any more than anyone else but I will point out that he was a great college football player. Like, worthy of at least being in the discussion with the best college football players ever. It's not just because he's an outspoken good Christian guy that he has so many ridiculous fans.

Also just to make the Tebow updates for the day complete he struck out on 3 pitches in his last at bat swinging at none of them. Also complained about all of them. But I'm sure he did it in a nice way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why are they dragging out this extremely stupid fake "experiment"? Ugh.

Your best hope is he decides he doesn't like minor league life and quits. He's definitely around for spring training until they start sending guys to their minor league assignments.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Personally I don't think the Mets are looking at Tebow just as a way of selling tickets and jerseys (though they're doing as much of that as they can, of course) but as an extremely low-probability lottery ticket. While he's almost certainly never going to get into the majors (or even triple A), if he does they've got a bona fide star ready to go, and he's not exactly costing them much.

So if he makes it to the majors he'll sell even more tickets and jerseys you're saying? It's not like he's an amazing prospect or something that if everything works out will be a perennial all star.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean I'm just saying....

Julio Cruz posted:

Personally I don't think the Mets are looking at Tebow just as a way of selling tickets and jerseys

They're kind of hoping for this as the best case scenario, just a hell of a lot bigger. And I do agree if it should ever somehow come to pass (which would be more amazing than that year with the Broncos making the playoffs and beating the Steelers) it would absolutely loving ridiculous in the media on a level not seen since Re2pect.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 9, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Abel Wingnut posted:

if you guys don't want to hear about tebow then stop talking about tebow?

This is our revenge for Cubs posting.

You'll probably never have to hear about it again in a month or so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your Taint posted:

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???

You saying Jesus couldn't hit a curve slide?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

New Concept Hole posted:

Makes sense; You don't wanna get hit by a stray bullet from some rear end in a top hat shooting up his garage.

Alternately you want your car to be safe when you shoot up your own garage.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your Taint posted:

You'd think if anyone knew how to throw something it would be Tim Tebow.

I....don't get it.

Although I am wondering now if he has a weird rear end wind up when throwing a baseball too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cheering for Anatoli Smorin. Baseball Almanac tells me there have only been 7 Russian born MLB players and only one since 1932.

Go get 'em fighting baseball video game man.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

cis autodrag posted:

Can you explain this part to me? I've boxed and this is counter-intuitive to me because a punch is way more powerful if you "sit down" on it to drive with your back leg and get a lot of rotation going. Is it that his ready stance is too on the back leg so it's hard for him to poo poo onto it and begin the drive during his swing?

It's not that he's starting off too far back necessarily. You know that thing where you drive with the back leg? That's what he's not doing, there's no shifting his weight to put his body into the swing, it's all arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tom Gorman posted:

Man, I'd really have to rethink "Fighting Dogs" as a name for my baseball team if I was running that organization.

I was wondering if maybe dog fighting wasn't a cultural thing in Japan and it might just be like us calling a team the Bulldogs but noooope.

wiki posted:

Dog fighting evolved in Kōchi to a form that is called tōken (闘犬?). Under modern rules, dogs fight in a fenced ring until one of the dogs barks, yelps, or loses the will to fight. Owners are allowed to throw in the towel, and matches are stopped if a doctor judges if is too dangerous. Draws usually occur when both dogs will not fight or both dogs fight until the time limit. There are various other rules, including one that specifies that a dog will lose if it attempts to copulate. Champion dogs are called yokozuna, as in sumo. Dog fighting is not banned at a nationwide level, but the prefectures of Tokyo, Kanagawa, Fukui, Ishikawa, Toyama and Hokkaidō all ban the practice.[22] Currently, most fighting dogs in Japan are of the Tosa breed which is native to Kōchi.

Just proud of their dogfighting heritage and it's still going on today. It does seem at least slightly closer to humane than what we think of it as in the states I guess.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread