Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tom Gorman posted:

That is so loving awful about Reyes.

Save us Florp Grobnar.

Do the Cardinals factor name in when they're scouting a player?

"Ok, we have 2 potential players we could take with our next pick. Both are essentially the same player. Who should we take? Joe Williams, or Lipstock Garahannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Kris Bryant got pranked.

He thinks he's taking BP off a sound guy. Turns out the sound guy is Greg Maddux.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/greg-maddux-pranks-kris-bryant/#xOCL4vWDL1YMc3Kx.97

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

It's not a balk because it is his "...natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter".

They could change the rule but he's not technically doing anything wrong according to the rules.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/56955/carter-capps-delivery-is-strange-and-apparently-legal

The thing he was called out on in AAA was for over-elevating in his delivery (too much hop). I think he's changed that to more of a slide motion.

Ok so under that rule he could theoretically hop a few more times and deliver the pitch from the grass and it would be ok.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I still love Dex, but being a rational and decent human being is going to make his time in st Louis Hell. I hope he can get traded somewhere cool.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

smaller strike zone is poo poo, but I'd be ok with the rest.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spoeank posted:

I swear to fuckin God if Manfred implements that stupid loving runner on second rule imma lose my poo poo

This should only be implemented after the 15th inning or something, not right away in the 10th.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grittybeard posted:

This is the disconnect between the discussion and what they're thinking. They don't care about the fans they have now, we're stuck and probably going to stay around anyway. They're spitballing ideas to try to get new fans.

Whether these ideas will do anything about that is pretty damned arguable, but that's the aim. Something about millennials goes here.

The thing that would help them the most is starting postseason games an hour or so earlier so the people who have to go to work the next morning can stay up and watch the whole thing live.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

They're already starting games at like noon central time...

They could have the games overlap. Sure, it would take away from the "10 hours of baseball omg fapfapfapfap" excitement that we all have had (myself included), but it would assure that fans of each team would be able to watch the entire game and be able to go to work or school and be able to function the next morning.

I'm mainly talking the LCS and World Series games. Not much you can do in the divisional round.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

corn on the cop posted:

i don't really understand the purpose of this rule, aside from being a massive benefit to the pitcher for not jacking their rhythm after intentional walks.

you have the negative of a man on base, but without the pitcher actually working to get him there. kind of silly.

Does it really throw a pitcher's rhythm off that much? It's a small change, but is there really any benefit to the viewer to watch the pitcher and catcher play catch for 4 pitches?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
:siren:39 DAYS TIL OPENING DAY!!!:siren:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ego symphonic posted:

Agreed. I don't care that once every 10 years something mildly interesting happens during an IBB attempt, but it also doesn't do anything to speed up the game. It's nothing. Nothing has happened. There are no changes.

Agreed. It will have zero effect on pace of play. They just removed a minor annoyance.

I'd be completely in favor of a pitch clock and only limiting one time stepping out of the box or off the mound per AB, because that poo poo's annoying. I loved me some Nomar, but the batting glove thing he did between every single pitch drove me batty.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That would explain why Francona decided to walk Rizzo to get to Zobrist :v:

haha

but seriously, without the benefit of hindsight, I'd have done the same thing if I were Francona. Zobrist was only hitting .1something during the WS compared to Rizzo's hot stick. Not that Zob is by any measure a bad hitter but he was the lesser of evils.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That episode always reminds me that Steve Sax used to be a thing.

It's a good thing his murdering rear end is locked up. The monster.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheChaosPath posted:

That still sounds like a lot of days, man

It is fewer days than before. Don't crap on it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

bawfuls posted:

The least intrusive way to enforce pace of play rules is to do so very stringently at the minor league level and thus ingrain habits as players develop.

That would probably be better long term. Set a date for a few years in the future for it to take place in the majors, but institute it in the minors immediately, and that would give players in the low minors years to acclimate before the rule takes place at the Majors level.

Popete posted:

Giving minor leaguers saltine crackers should be enough of an incentive.

What the hell else to they want? I mean, they get a bus to their next city and don't have to walk. The greedy bastards....

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Pussy Boss posted:

I think baseball's pretty good already. hell, I wish I could watch some right now

I've been watching Cubs playoff victories since Xmas.....

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

YeahTubaMike posted:

I like to think that there is beauty in everyone, but this picture makes me feel vaguely ill.

If you pay minor leaguers too much, Matt Paré's Homeless Minor Leaguer sketches will be rendered obsolete! :ohdear:

Who will mow the lawns of the potential host families before the games???

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Leadoff Schwarbomb? :circlefap:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

cebrail posted:

I'm pretty sure it's proven that steroids help you grow muscles and that muscles help you hit dingers?

They do, but people around here don't like to admit it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

N: Cubs sign Strop to an extension through 2018, with a team option for 2019. $5.85m in 2018, $6.25m if the option is picked up in 2019 with a $500k buyout.

V: I am okay with this.

Hopefully Maddon can regain confidence in him and Rondon. We actually could have a top shelf bullpen this year. Maybe not top-to-bottom the best in the game, but certainly top 5.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

Grimm's still there, who was also pretty bad last season, but Duensing has potential and if Montgomery ends up in the pen he is an excellent option.

Montgomery or Anderson (whichever doesn't make the rotation), Duensing, Strop, CJ, Davis, Rondon, Zastryzsny (sp?), Grimm....

Got some good options there.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Scenario 1: Davis remains healthy for the full season which gives the Cubs one of the most elite closers in the game. Strop and Rondon bounce back from their injuries and are an elite pair of setup men to put in front of Davis. Meanwhile Edwards continues to develop and be a high impact arm, Uehara posts yet another super low WHIP, and Anderson actually stays healthy for once which means Montgomery spends the bulk of the season in the pen. In this case the Cubs arguably have one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Scenario 2: Davis' elbow issues resurface and he needs to be shut down. Strop and/or Rondon continue to struggle and can't find their footing. Edwards BB/9 issues that plagued him so much in the minors finally resurface and he takes a step backwards. Uehara's extreme flyball tendencies get him beat up in the very hitter friendly confines of Wrigley. Anderson dies like he always does and Montgomery has to take the bulk of fifth starter duties, leaving the lefty bullpen work to Duensing. In this case the Cubs arguably have one of the worst bullpens in baseball.

Obviously these are extremes, but the point is that the Cubs bullpen is built on a lot of risk and while there's a very high ceiling, there's also a very, very low floor.

I don't disagree, but I figured I'd try this "optimism" thing I've heard so much about.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
That's going to be kind of an awkward tat if Baez ever plays for another team.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Awww gently caress. My family was going to go to a game this year. :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Javy is cool and good and is only going to get cooler and gooder. :colbert:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Geez and I thought *I* was a pessimist.....

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Baez tried to squeeze bunt in the 9th inning of Game 7 and struck out on a foul bunt. He also made two errors in that game. But he is a goddamn demon defensively.

To be fair he also homered in Game 7 so credit where it's due.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

God drat. :smith:

I mean, congrats to his fiance and everything for the birth of a beautiful and healthy baby girl, but it's gotta be awful knowing she'll never meet her daddy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tom Gorman posted:

1) Definitely not
2) I thought that was Carl Everett, but if Sheffield doesn't believe in dinosaurs either I'm gonna have to switch stances. Something more normal, like Jim Leyritz or Tony Batista.

Go with the Julio Franco or the Craig Counsell.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
God dammit have we had a Schwarbomb yet? We haven't had one since spring training of last year when he was breaking windshields.

I feel like a junkie. I need some Beefy Lad homers.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Pussy Boss posted:

Watching the Mets game yesterday, I was shocked to see that David Wright is still alive and playing baseball.

Wellllllp:
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/836581112839294977

There must have been a stiff breeze.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rand alPaul posted:

A pool for the Dodgers to jump in when they clinch. How thoughtful.

Am I the only one who wants a floating baseball so a game could be played in that?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

IcePhoenix posted:

Baseballs float

It would get waterlogged eventually.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I knew Mike Trout has been good, but I didn't know he's been Mickey Mantle good over his first 6 years. Let's just hope he doesn't develop knee and drinking problems.

https://twitter.com/zabate/status/836953950964355072/photo/1

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

beejay posted:

Maybe it's because I'm an NL/Cubs fan but it seems like people don't talk about Mike Trout enough. I suspect if he didn't play for the Angels and maybe had a cooler last name than "Trout" he would be more well-known. I mean right there, "Mickey Mantle" vs. "Mike Trout" c'mon.

It's mainly because MLB is poo poo at promoting its stars.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

TMMadman posted:

Rizzo is ridiculously adorable and his 'antics' in the dugout and games during the playoffs are why I ended up buying his jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlk5ffRSCY

Rizzo is also my wife's favorite player, but it's because she thinks he's "cute." For some reason she doesn't think Bryant is "all that handsome." Perhaps this is why she has seen me naked and not vomited violently??

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
:siren:ONE MONTH TIL OPENING DAY!!!:siren:

:circlefap:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
You don't see Dr. Andrews unless there's suspicion it's something bad.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
What does that "no markers on the field for reference to fielders" thing mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

^
e. Yes it was the Dodgers. I remember because it came up when the manager of the other team noticed it and threw a big sad over technology ruining the game and giving an unfair advantage. It was still in the news cycle when the Dodgers came to Wrigley to play the Cubs, and when they asked Joe about it expecting him to add fuel to the fire, he was just kind of like "uh... who cares? Sounds pretty smart, actually." and then the media (mostly) shut up about it.

Weren't they only doing it before games as part of pre-game drills though? Is the rule targeted towards that, or is it only saying you can't use markers during the course of play? Because the latter makes total sense while the former is dumb as hell.

Prior's mechanics were touted by scouts as being "the perfect delivery" and being absolutely effortless. Then as soon as he got injured Actual DoctorsTM pointed out he was actually torquing the every loving poo poo out of his pitching elbow.

Well that, plus staying in the game after taking that liner off his pitching elbow, and the collision at 2b with Marcus Giles didn't help matters either.

• Locked thread