Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

will_colorado posted:

Mark Reynolds turned down a $3 million offer from a Korean team; received multiple minor league offers and chose to re-sign with Colorado.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/14/mark-reynolds-turned-down-3-million-return-to-rockies/

Mark Reynolds, you are officially a cool fuckin' dude.

he probably couldn't see any reason to go with another team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
it seems like a dumb delivery anyway. his back foot is not planted enough to provide a lot of force into the ball. he'd probably be throwing in the 100s with a more traditional delivery.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
when i did tee ball in like 1st grade was the tallest kid in my grade by a good 7" and the school only had 1 non-adjustable tee so the dad who was in charge of the team just kept a couple cinder blocks at the school diamond to put the tee on for me. then he'd go scrambling in after every time i made contact to pull the cinderblocks out of the way before anyone ran into them. a funny sight but a good dad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i have seen little kid teeball leagues where they play pitcher's hand rules so you have to have a kid standing there to play the position.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Explosionface posted:

At the low end of the Babe Ruth league we had as a kid, they used a pitching machine and a kid had to man a position around it as "pitcher". We also center left and center right fielders. Those days were fun because I was a singles/doubles monster.

our school's diamond didn't have a fence and nobody ever thought to draw a line or anything, so technically i hit probably 100 inside-the-park home runs in my tee ball career.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
One of the Brewers blogs has been conjecturing of late that the Brewers may just eat Garza's contract and not put him on the 25 man roster. He's not even their 7th best starting pitcher anymore, he's made clear that he will refuse a bullpen assignment, and he can't keep his loving mouth shut. He thinks they would be smart to cut their losses with him because all he does is hog a spot a promising young pitcher could use to develop.

It's a pretty good dream scenario, but I don't really trust Mark Attanasio not to be a victim of the sunk costs fallacy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

How can he refuse a bullpen assignment? Does his contract specifically stipulate a starting role?

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/09/06/matt-garza-refused-to-pitch-out-of-the-bullpen/

Basically they told him he was going to pitch out of the bullpen and he threw such a baby shitfit that they just sent him home early and he didn't play the rest of the season. I don't think it was ever reported how his contract came into things. But the guy will only start and he sucks at it and takes space that new pitchers could be using to learn the big leagues so gently caress him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Is this even on a network or is Prince just going to webcast "now watch me eat 40 pizza rolls"?

It's on Netflix

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bawfuls posted:

on the other hand, they already start at 4 or 5pm for those of us on the west coast

The real problem with playoffs is that to keep them close to a month you have to watch 4 games a day and then 2 games a day for the first couple weeks. It's too much.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
A coworker's friend is starting a vintage baseball team (apparently Wisconsin has a pretty active vintage league) and I'm thinking of joining. It sounds pretty fun. Have any of you done something like that? They play with late-1800s period equipment and uniforms so I'm guessing I'll have to bat Brooks Conrad style to keep my hands from getting torn up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

Wouldn't this have been right in the middle of his steroid scandal?

Yeah. 2012 was the peak of Ryan's huge sexy thighs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cebrail posted:

No, it's about cheating. Like when you get caught cheating in a test it's completely irrelevant how good the rest of your test was. I don't agree with those people but they're argument isn't as ridiculous as you're portraying it.

Well right, but they just said "steroids are cheating" without proving that steroids cause the specific things that he was good at that let him cheat. It would be like accusing someone of cheating on a test because they had a textbook on the desk, but the textbook is for a different subject so it's not actually relevant. You have to prove that steroids make you better at baseball in the specific ways they state they do.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cebrail posted:

I'm pretty sure it's proven that steroids help you grow muscles and that muscles help you hit dingers?

But do they help you see a fast-moving ball and hit it precisely? Because just having big muscles doesn't mean you can hit a ball.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Timby has bad brainthoughts in all areas of life, don't worry about him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The vintage baseball league fell through. I was the only female sign-up and the manager started by asking if my tits would interfere with baserunning. gently caress that. Hopefully I can get on a rec softball team this summer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

My last wiffle ball team ended in the final four of the season with the opposing team's captain getting ejected for complaining about literally every play to the refs. Then our captain got ejected with about a minute left for throwing her bat at the opposing pitcher and screaming that she shouldn't be allowed to pitch anymore because she was throwing overhand and too fast. We lost and our entire team stayed for the title game to cheer against the team that beat us. They lost and it was basically as good as winning.

Would highly recommend.

this sounds great, especially if i am allowed to drink at the same time.

i am going to be in chicago for the lady gaga concert at wrigely this year, we should have a goonmeet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Boom. Done

and like everyone I've ever had as my avatar, expect Dansby to immediately start sucking or get traded.

There's a reason I haven't gone back to garzatars. I just want that motherfucker to go away forever.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

One of my teammates used a wiffle bat as a beer bong sooooo

does your teammate have mouth herpes now? i cant even bring myself to share a soda can with a friend, im so grossed out now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

NBA stars are a lot more marketable because they're on the court without pads, hats, sunglasses, or helmets, so you can see their faces. LeBron is on the court for 78% of the game on average, and he's one of only 5 players on his team on the court, so he gets a LOT of screen time, as do the other superstars from their respective teams. A player like Trout is only up to bat once every 2-3 innings and is only on camera in the field when he needs to field a ball hit to center. If it's a sunny day (usually the case in Southern California) he's wearing a hat, eye black, and sunglasses, all of which obscure his face. It's a lot harder to market someone like that.

The thing I notice about NBA or NFL marketing is that very frequently the advertising for a game is only about stars. When Miami played the Bucks a couple years back the advertising for the series was almost all about LeBron. Even in Milwaukee most of the posters and billboards were like "See LEBRON and the heat On <DATE>". With the NFL Packers games are constantly like "Can Aaron Rodgers do it again?"

These sports work very hard at linking specific names to the success of teams. Which might not be fair to the other talented players who support them, but it increases the viewership overall so it's good for everybody.

There's a lot of people who consider themselves football fans who could probably only name the QB and a couple other notable guys on their team. Most of the people I know who self-describe as baseball fans can name the whole 40-man roster and a shitload of top prospects too. Football has the super-obsessed fantasy guys, but they also have that casual fanbase by making a lot of it about personalities. Baseball just doesn't do that. Especially when someone who's too successful gets buried half the time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tom Gorman posted:

That said if he was eating in a restaurant or walking around in street clothes I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd.

do you live on cardassia prime?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

From my understanding, Mike Trout only eats at Subway.

Nah, he likes super pretzels too:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
on the back it says something like "i remember eating pretzels when i was a kid. they are good."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Taint posted:

Rizzo is also my wife's favorite player, but it's because she thinks he's "cute." For some reason she doesn't think Bryant is "all that handsome." Perhaps this is why she has seen me naked and not vomited violently??

You needed to exercise a shorter hook on sentence count here.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

I highly doubt they would go that far. It would also apply to a lot of other teams too if that was the case.

It's really just to stop blatant cases.

Yeah. Just about everybody kicks some divots into the outfield grass while they're out there and if it's too loose a rule your going to end up penalizing guys who do it when they're bored along with guys who have a divot for every guy in the batting order.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Are good and cool, both players are consenting and aware of the fight. A pitcher throwing at a guy is entirely one sided and the hitter usually isn't aware it's about to happen.

Additionally, most hockey fights I've seen involve guys mostly grabbing jerseys and throwing really weak punches. I doubt guys come out with so much as a black eye half the time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

IcePhoenix posted:

they're stupid and keep players who otherwise have no business being in the league employed

OTOH, it led to this which is cool and good: http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/01/19/john-scott-nhl-all-star-game-fan-vote-trade-explainer

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

seiferguy posted:

Apparently ARod and JLo are dating. This news is more appealing to me than Tebow-mania.

*in a very donald trump voice* those babies are going to grow up to be very sexy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is it just me or does Lucroy's chest plate in this game look a little confederate?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I know next-to-nothing about hitting but that swing looks extremely awkward to me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

seiferguy posted:

He puts too much weight on his back foot

Can you explain this part to me? I've boxed and this is counter-intuitive to me because a punch is way more powerful if you "sit down" on it to drive with your back leg and get a lot of rotation going. Is it that his ready stance is too on the back leg so it's hard for him to poo poo onto it and begin the drive during his swing?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rand alPaul posted:

You want to have all your momentum pushing forward, like a golf swing. If it's on the back foot you just sapped all your power and your hips are doing nothing.

OK gotcha. You still want to drive with the back leg, but he's starting with all his weight on it so he can't do that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grittybeard posted:

I was wondering if maybe dog fighting wasn't a cultural thing in Japan and it might just be like us calling a team the Bulldogs but noooope.

Just proud of their dogfighting heritage and it's still going on today. It does seem at least slightly closer to humane than what we think of it as in the states at least I guess.

If barking or yelping lost you the fight my pitbull would lose every match before he even got into the ring. He just gets so drat excited when he sees new friends to play with.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tom Gorman posted:

Yadier Molina is awesome and good and I have always liked him, this is a Hot Take from forums poster Tom Gorman.

I expect backlash but these are my true feelings SAS.

I just wish he weren't a St Louis Cardinal.

My father-in-law's hot take is that Molina is bad and always has been and just gets credit for normal catcher poo poo because he's a mainstay on a popular team :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I REALLY want to spend an week in an alternate universe where Molina plays for, not an arch enemy like the Cubs, but someone like the Brewers just to see how the BFIB react to the demonstrative brown guy with the neck tattoos kicking their rear end.

He really is good and I'm glad things like the WBC exist so I can watch him with less jaundiced eyes.

no one would know who he is or care about him, just like jon lucroy. which is as it should be.

• Locked thread