Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

NiceGuy posted:

God I hated the loving Price deal when it was signed and I hate it even more now. Thank christ we finally blew our prospect load on another frontline pitcher in Sale or we'd be turbofucked right out of the gate. And truth be told it's not looking rosy after Sale and Porcello anyway.

On the other hand if there is a team that can support a ridiculously bad SP contract its probably the red sox. You just had several world series wins in the past 10 years, and right now you have one of the best cores of young, cost controlled position players in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Sad to see a Canadian player going out of the game, regardless of whether he was any good or not

Man the Athletics Lawrie/Donaldson trade looks so incredibly terrible. A's you dumb cheap bastards.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

There's still a ton of pervasive macho bullshit going on, though. Like, why should rookies be treated differently? If they do their job well, they do their job well.

Even Bouton called it out as being moronic in Ball Four, and that was almost fifty years ago.

Its true in baseball just like its true in life. Doesn't make it right, but I cant imagine much changing in our lifetimes. It's the same in policing/fire fighting , gently caress even salesmen all treat the newbies like poo poo and its accepted by the office.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Sydin posted:

I mean Tebow absolutely has the physical tools to play baseball, he's just completely loving clueless out there. A year or two in the minors could potentially change that though, and even if he never advances to a level beyond major league bench bat, a fourth OF who sells jerseys and fills seats isn't the worst thing in the world from an organizational standpoint.

Although I am doubtful he could actually have good enough D to ever be a 4th outfielder on a MLB team. What are the chances of him developing into that after 2 or even 3 years in the minors. 1%? 5%? And I think thats being generous.

But I still am kinda rooting for him. Something so cool to me about multi sport pros.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My names Mike Truk and im here to Fruk

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

cheesetriangles posted:

Hi I finally stopped paying attention to football and baseball is close. How are the red sox looking this year?

Probably the best or 2nd best AL team.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Poque posted:

Odor punched Bautista because he slid into his leg, not because he flipped a bat

Like a thousand people have slid into SS or 2nd baseman over the past 5 seasons. Thats the last punch I remember.

edit : Odor is an rear end in a top hat. You have to think the punch is atleast in part for Bautista being a really good hitter and the bat flip and his reputation. Odor slides like a bitch into players trying to hurt them all the time. He has no leg to stand on in this one. He's a hothead.

http://i.imgur.com/oliT4z6.gifv

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/650411563229310980/video/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5eZJWMELo

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 15, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Grittybeard posted:

You gotta admit it was a pretty beautiful punch as punches go in major sports though.

I'm still a little annoyed that Bautista claimed it was a sucker punch, there was a shove first after his dirty slide and he was obviously in a stance to throw a punch after that.

Its a sucker punch in the fact that like 99% of all baseball skirmishs involve a whole lot of posturing and dick waving and very rarely more than a shove. So it might have caught him off guard. He got smoked. But it was still a ridiculous over reaction by odor.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

tadashi posted:

Bautista is an rear end in a top hat, too. We just don't see it because it doesn't get caught on camera so much. I have heard multiple commentators say he is not well liked around baseball.

I put very little faith in the "not like around by other pros" or "clubhouse cancer" stuff. Often its media who aren't a fan of a players dealings with them ala Bonds, but often its just the greatest players are also really intense off the field and really focused type A's that come across that way. Just like Donaldson is such an ultimate gamer, but from the little I've seen of his personality I would not want to be friends with the guy at all.

Best not to think too much about their personalities away from the game, hell this forum politically is divergent with probably 95% of players, let alone religiously.

The Walrus posted:

Don't want to get into the reasons for this cause it's a can of worms but he's well liked by his teammates so that's all that should count.

Agreed.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Poque posted:

I wonder how many of his teammates knew he was a cocaine user and how many of them were/are using as well. I imagine many of them knew. I don't mean this to be callous. I hope that if he has teammates who are using, they are taking it as a wake-up call and have since reconsidered.

The sad reality is in most pro sports athletes think they can drink and drive, smoke and drive, coke and drive, whatever. The "never need a cab home" macho attitude is the absolute loving worst. Man, Jose's family is standing to lose like 100-250 million depending on how you look at things because of a DUI on a boat. Thats insane. Shows how little he was really thinking about the potential consequences of his actions.

And I say that as someone who was a huge fan of his. Buts its pretty hosed up how these super rich athletes cant get the maturity to hire a full time sober drive for their entourage.

Sydin posted:

Because it was a boat crash in the middle of the night where he ran into a jetty with multiple people on board the boat, it was framed as a tragic accident for a decent chunk of time

For anyone that knows anything about boating culture, miami, and being out at that time of night. it was very obvious that drugs or alcohol were likely involved. It was even mentioned in this thread while we all were shocked and memoralizing him.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 16, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Your Taint posted:

What a loving dumbass.

It's a tragedy that he's gone along with his 2 friends. The guy had Hall of Fame level talent, but the last thing he ever did was be a stupid loving dumbass. :( God dammit, Jose.

This was my whole point earlier of how we make up these personalities without really knowing a true thing about ballplayers besides what we see on the field. I bet the majority of our favourite players from the 30s up to the 70s were incredibly regular DUI'ers and wife beaters. Hard to seperate the man from the myth though. Its like the whole John Lennon thing.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Jays fans overall are very lucky with both amazing radio talent and very good TV talent. For some reason though, Rogers keeps letting their retarded little brother Mike Wilner call an inning or two per game on the radio and it just ruins it for me. You go from listening to champagne with Jerry Howarth to drinking piss by listening to Wilner. If I am in the car with satellite I will switch to the other teams announcers for those innings.

Also Gregg Zaun is a jackass who is trying to be the lovely baseball version of Don Cherry, only somehow more misinformed and hick even though he is 40 years younger.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 19, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Who wouldn't want to work construction with Joey bats

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Maybe its my Canadian upbringing which might be more European family style view towards drinking, but the fact Bryant hadn't ever had a drink even as a 20+ year old MLB pro seems really dorky and possibly creepy religious or sheltered. It would be very weird for a high school senior to not have an occasional drink or two here in Canada, even the nerds or dorks. I hope he's not saving himself for marriage too, haha.

edit : Is he Mormon or Jehovas' Witness?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

it's just that it's weird that he seems to fetishize it so much it's like "man when we win the world series I'm gonna have a drink!!!" like he's going all the way after prom. But then he chickens out even after having won a world series because for some reason taking a drink would literally change who he is as a person. I do drink sometimes and it seems to have less of a bearing on who I am as a person than this guy who doesnt drink

This.

Like I said, maybe the culture you guys have in USA is different where its so much more hammered drunk vs stone cold sober. In Canada its not a big deal for a 17 year old (or 20 or whatever) to have 1 or 3 beers at a social gathering. The same people who don't have a single beer by the time they are 20 are likely 1- super religious 2- super awkward (or autismo) or 3 - some combination of the above or possibly grew up with alcoholic parents or something.

Its the same way I'd assume a bit about someone if they told me they were a virgin at 21 or 25...

30% of americans not drinking probably includes like 5% of former alcoholics, 5% medical / old, 10% super religious, etc.

edit : That being said, of all the people to forgoe alcohol completely, a pro athlete is the one that has the most money riding on it , and makes the most sense. Just hard to imagine an average guy not having a single drink in college or whatever.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Y'all laughed when the Rangers catchphrase for 2016 was #NeverEverQuit and then we won all the one run games and never quit.

Well watch out. The 2017 Rangers have #LoneStarGrit

You've been warned

Not gonna lie Lone Star is a pretty great state nickname

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
i had a fever dream last night that Pearce was hitting .357 in late June and Bautista already had 19 HR. Morales was working out well and most of our starters were doing ok. Stroman got injured but we still were 1st in the AL. I woke up before the all star break. What does it mean?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

The Yankees will win the division.

It was really bizarre. Yankees were 5th of course because of their starters. Orioles 2nd. Red Sox 4th! I guess Price stays 2016 Price.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Inspector_666 posted:

The Rays will be in last place in the AL East again this year. I don't think the Yankees are 16 games worse, nor do I think Tampa has gotten 16 better.

Oh buddy, I don't agree with my fever dreams at all. I see Sox/Jays/Yankes/O's/Rays. But I dont make the fever dreams.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Berzerker posted:

The Jays are apparently not taking Upton Jr. to the roster in favor of Ryan Goins :what:

Wtf.. Taking Carerra over Upton who plays better defense, offense and baserunning...

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

I really don't get the plan for LF and the Jays. Clearly to me, regardless of the fact they need a 2nd utility infielder, Upton is the best player they have for the position. He has a much better body of work of hitting than Carerra, runs better, fields better, more power, etc. He is a much better than defender and baserunner than Pearce, who should be mostly at 1b anyways and keep Smoak away from the lineup. And even if we did sign Pagan, he is only marginally a better hitter then the .250 20 or so HR you can expect for Upton, and Pagan is a worse baserunner and defender.

I don't get it at all, unless there is injury at play or Upton has told management he doesn't want to remain in Toronto.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Twin Cinema posted:

I just don't understand why you'd want to keep Goins on this team when you already have a slight upgrade with Barney.

You gotta figure both Tulo and Travis will spend time together on the DL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Twin Cinema posted:

Goins could be the greatest glove of all-time, but I don't think that'd be enough to justify his sub-.200 average in the line-up.

I think the bigger issue isn't goins as the backup or 2nd backup IF, its carrera starting LF as a guy who historically isnt even an AAAA type LF. Also can't play CF or even LF/RF well.

• Locked thread