Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm pretty bad but I make up for it with scrap, hustle and sliding into 1st.

I'm the Nick Punto of softball.

This is an important role to play on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IMB posted:

to be fair sexual harassment is pretty accurate for that era

I was going to say it sounds like that manager is just taking the era too seriously.

(For real gently caress that guy.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ego symphonic posted:

Goddamn Espinosa's facial hair is glorious.

I am so loving jealous of his moustache. I can grow a beard to compete with any of these guys but that loving 'stache is a thing of beauty.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

At least it's not sewage!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

will_colorado posted:

it's floodwater, some of it probably is.

Well it's still not Coliseum-grade in any case.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

Alright so I've narrowed it down to these two pictures:

and

I really like the first one but he's not #2 anymore. I like the glove hat thing he does but can't come up with anything clever. Best I've got so far is: "Please don't kill Dansby, he's so young and innocent"

I feel like there's a clear "glovework" joke to be made here but I can't put my finger on it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

These three could be something good....Caught me a Dansbae? Dansbae caught me like....? What do the kids say these days?

Dansbae got me catching feelings

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

Boom. Done

and like everyone I've ever had as my avatar, expect Dansby to immediately start sucking or get traded.

:hfive:

I'm 2 for 2 on picking Yankees prospects who then immediately leave the team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TMMadman posted:

So will you be getting a Gleyber Torres avatar?

Well so far it's been Slade and Gamel, so I usually dwell in the lower end of the top 30 lists.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

beejay posted:

Maybe it's because I'm an NL/Cubs fan but it seems like people don't talk about Mike Trout enough. I suspect if he didn't play for the Angels and maybe had a cooler last name than "Trout" he would be more well-known. I mean right there, "Mickey Mantle" vs. "Mike Trout" c'mon.

MLB does a terrible job of marketing him in the least. It's ridiculous. The Angels as a team don't help things, but still, the NFL has stars on lovely teams.

Omne posted:

My wife is letting me convert the bonus room to a bit of a man cave, and I want to watch baseball there. For those of you who use the MLB.TV apps, what are your thoughts on it? Any devices in particular that are better, or does it not matter between Apple TV/Chromecast/Amazon Fire/Roku?

I always recommend Chromecast because you can stream anything that will open in a web browser to it, you don't have to worry about a native app or anything.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Actaully Ted Berg just wrote an article about Trout's relative obscurity that does a good job of pointing out that it's a logical outcome which stems from a few causes, some dumb but some just intrinsic to the game.

It also includes a fun activity idea for all of us

quote:

I happen to believe that it’s every baseball fan’s solemn responsibility to do everything in his or her power to spread the gospel of Mike Trout’s greatness, and that everyone currently reading this article should put down his phone or step away from her computer and begin shouting “Mike Trout!” repeatedly until the name “Mike Trout” itself becomes the world’s most recognizable phrase, as a salutation and an exclamation and an interjection.

Also in this vein, I asked my non-baseball-fan friend to name 5 active players and she said:
  • Bartolo Colon
  • Manny Texieria
  • Bryce (he has a beard)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 1, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

It's mainly because MLB is poo poo at promoting its stars.

It's two pronged:

Baseball culture intentionally subdues personalities. We all agree this is stupid and counterproductive, but even if you're boring you can be a star that transcends the sport, like Derek Jeter did. However...

If you don't win, nobody gives a gently caress about you. Jeter was dry toast, but he has a ring for every finger on one hand. The NFL even has this in Tom Brady.

Sydin posted:

As does the NBA, and the NHL, and pretty much any other major sport. Baseball is just terrible at marketing their players in general. And then when Harper tried to self promote himself last year, he got completely and utterly poo poo on from every direction. Guys like Kershaw/Harper/Trout/Bryant/etc should be plastered everywhere as the faces of the brand.

MLB is pushing Rizzo and Bryant pretty hard, which I think is good since they're young handsome fellas who clearly have fun playing the game. Maybe they're learning?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Oh come on guys, you don't think his fascination with weather patterns is cool?

I feel like some kind of campaign with him and Donaldson would be hilarious, but then again I love puns.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The NBA is incredible at promoting its stars, what the hell?

He's agreeing with that statement.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tom Gorman posted:

I follow baseball.

I spend huge parts of my free time reading about it. And big parts of my evenings during the season watching games. I watch other teams, I still collect baseball cards. Mike Trout is a phenom talent and the best position player in the game, hands down for me.

That said if he was eating in a restaurant or walking around in street clothes I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd.

The Yankees regularly posted pictures of various team members in street clothes checking out various NYC landmarks and even I couldn't recognize them half of the time. MLB players should be required to wear at least a cap at all times.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

and their uniforms should have names as well as numbers.

HELL NO gently caress OFF WITH THAT poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Trout is noticeable in a crowd just based on his ridiculous neck girth.

You see a guy in the crowd, he's not distinctive but you know you've seen him somewhere. You make your way closer, looking, trying to be inconspicuous while you try to place his face. You keep edging towards him, until you're within arms reach. Extending your hands, you gently try to get your fingers to touch around his neck, but cannot.

Then you are sure, this man is Mike Trout.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So apparently David Price has forearm soreness, got an elbow MRI and is now going in for a second opinion.

Sucks for him (maybe) but also eff tha sox (maybe)

EDIT: Oh my, not just a second opinion, a second opinion from Dr James Andrews.

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/837314242957160449

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It means that hill in center field for the Astros is finally illegal like God intended.

They already bulldozed it out of existence, dude.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

Everyone touted Matt Moore at having perfect mechanics and free and easy mid 90s fastballs and he got TJS. I don't know how much I still by in to pitching mechanics for injuries. Maybe for repeatability and stuff but not for TJS.

At this point I don't think mechanics mean dick-all for TJS stuff or you'd see some kind of correlations happening. This is not a small or under-examined data set.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

Pretty much. The fact of the matter is that pitching is an inherently unnatural and violent motion, and things are going to break.

The actual overhand throw isn't unnatural at all, really. Throwing a baseball at 98mph 90 times in a row gets there, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol has a persons entire career been effectively ended by a rule change before? The odds of this fringe reliever dude relearning his delivery from scratch seems extremely low.

I was going to say spitballers but even they were grandfathered in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

Sure they've known about it, but having his own team post how illegal it is in graphic detail is an impressive move on their part.

I highly doubt that this was the first time his delivery was ever shown in slow motion. And his delivery was explicitly approved by MLB until now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: Greg Bird hit a 2-run shot entirely out of the stadium in Tampa today.

V: I think his shoulder is feeling pretty good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

And defense stats that don't rely on human observers, like UZR and DRS do, and are way more precise.

Pleeeeeease I want this so bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chilihead posted:

Ops+ of 114 across 5 seasons of a player everybody knew was gonna break the bank(He did BTW). LOL!!!!!. OK stat boy you take your 114 and 4 whole gold gloves and 1 all star award. Listen, i like the guy and was so hopeful after 2010, but i'm glad the Braves didn't pony up for him. I'm just having fun, we loved J-Hey but it was soooooo obvious he wasn't gonna be worth the money. As a reminder at first people just said this guy is huge, why can't he hit home runs. Now it's why can't he hit.

cite your quotes

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N:
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/839191301576871938
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/839191733170802688

V:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wanna see a batter steal 2nd, 3rd, and home on 3 straight pitches after eating a retaliation pitch

Then he taunts the pitcher a second time

It's a walk-off steal, he throws his helmet directly into the pitcher's dick.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thor is cool and good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

Bruce Chen pitched in the WBC wearing dress shoes.

Baseball is awesome.

The whole Chinese team looks like they're wearing some sweet Florida-retiree orthopedic spikes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The trade that sent Turner to Washington is still one that makes me laugh (mainly at Tampa.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

New Concept Hole posted:

I know it's terrible of me but I really want him to launch one just to keep this circus going for a while longer.

I've talked so much poo poo about him leading up to today he's going to hit for the cycle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
...he also had words for the ump.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Huh, turns out this Tim Tebow guy isn't very good at baseball!

His stance looks pretty awful, too. On the last pitch he was practically squatting on his back leg.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

That he's getting so much attention from the media/fans is proof at how absolutely garbage the MLB is at marketing their actual stars. Tim Tebow, minor league scrub, has more name recognition to the casual sports fan than opposing pitcher Rick Porcello, reigning AL Cy Young winner.

This is my biggest problem with Tebow Time right now. I enjoy watching him fail at the game, it's hilarious to me that the loving Mets thought this was a good/necessary signing in order to drum up ticket sales and revenue. But why the gently caress are the MLB official outlets covering it so much? The man is never gonna get above rookie ball on merit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

They were promoting it on the MLB.com homepage which is just absurd. It's not like he's playing for charity or something noble.

It's insane. He's not Michael Jordan or Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders. Tim Tebow was a good generational college football player who washed out of the NFL and is only playing baseball because the Mets are a loving joke of an organization yet MLB are eating it up.

EDIT: Credit where it's due.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 8, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This is me in loving high school.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

one of the WBC announcers just compared bogaerts to jeter by talking about how calm his eyes are

They're also comping Israel's 2B to Carlos Beltran a lot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

:stare:

e: this dude is pitching against 6'8" Nate Freiman, possibly the tallest baseball matchup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

the WBC is a ludicrous baseball freak show and it owns so much

The best the MLB can currently offer would be a combined 4" shorter, so yeah, WBC supremacy.

• Locked thread