Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque and I went to Spring Training last year and it was magical. :allears:

This has been the mildest Winter in Chicago's history, so it doesn't even feel like baseball season should be close yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mike_V posted:

I thought Mad Dog was wearing a belly prosthetic but I guess he's embraced the dad bod.

It's easy to stop working out like a professional athlete. It's not easy to stop eating like a professional athlete.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Meanwhile I play hockey 3 days a week and I still gain weight if I eat more than 1,400 calories a day. :argh:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

It did give us the Cory. Lidle thread, which remains the best moment in SAS history

:allears:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Fowler well on his way to being the first Cardinals player to be consistently booed at Busch and applauded at Wrigley.

Fowler will be the first batter the Cubs face in the 2017 season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

The sign to IBB somebody should be something innocuous and easy to do by accident, and make sure there are no take-backsies. I want an endless parade of walks because managers keep loving up the sign.

That would explain why Francona decided to walk Rizzo to get to Zobrist :v:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The Simpsons episode Homer At The Bat will be 25 years old in May. The HOF is recognizing it

https://www.facebook.com/baseballhall/photos/a.392432467203.180493.58620617203/10154173468182204/?type=3&theater

That episode always reminds me that Steve Sax used to be a thing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

This happened on the same day that Manfred got rid of the 4-pitch intentional walk.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm not crying! YOU'RE CRYING! :cry:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

At this point I'm like 99% sure Maddon posts in SAS

Groovy, man :cool:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

32 CS in 95 attempts from 2008-2010. I never understood how someone so fast could be so bad at stealing bases.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

They have more than a hundred thousand people on their season ticket waiting list.

That's after raising ticket prices by like 19 percent a few months ago.

Ticket prices went up 19.5% this year, but regular season tickets on the secondary market in 2016 went for an average of 96% above face value on StubHub and postseason tickets averaged 670% above face value, so Cubs fans' willingness to shell out the dough for games shouldn't be surprising.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

How many season seats do the Cubs sell? Presumably it isn't the full 42,000 or whatever capacity is. I know the Dodgers cap at something like 32k of the 56k total.

I don't think any team ever releases the exact number of seats that are owned by season ticket holders.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I've gone to the home opener 3 of the last 4 years, I'm not gonna make it this year.

Looking at ticket prices, looks like I'll be watching a lot baseball on MLB.tv this year!

I really hope the one home opener you missed wasn't the only good home opener in the last 4 years (2016).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Were you at the pisscups game?

I was! But the troughs at Wrigley are my own personal hell, so I always make sure to go to games with an empty bladder.

I've been to the last 3 home openers with Poque and will also go to this year's home opener. The worst one was in 2014 when it was 38 degrees out, we both had the flu, and the Cubs lost 7-2 to the Phillies.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Javy's probably not going to be a starter at the beginning of the season, but he's a perfect late-game defensive replacement, especially for an older guy like Zobrist, he can play 3B, SS, and 2B extremely well, and he's a solid bench bat.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Jose Fernandez's daughter was born yesterday. Her name is Penelope.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Joey Freshwater posted:

and like everyone I've ever had as my avatar, expect Dansby to immediately start sucking or get traded.

My previous avatars include Corey Patterson, Matt Murton, and Devin Hester, so welcome to the club! :hfive:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TMMadman posted:

Why couldn't Corey be good?

Because I bought his jersey after his rookie season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

NBA stars are a lot more marketable because they're on the court without pads, hats, sunglasses, or helmets, so you can see their faces. LeBron is on the court for 78% of the game on average, and he's one of only 5 players on his team on the court, so he gets a LOT of screen time, as do the other superstars from their respective teams. A player like Trout is only up to bat once every 2-3 innings and is only on camera in the field when he needs to field a ball hit to center. If it's a sunny day (usually the case in Southern California) he's wearing a hat, eye black, and sunglasses, all of which obscure his face. It's a lot harder to market someone like that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

From my understanding, Mike Trout only eats at Subway.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

Jason Heyward "New Swing" Spring Training Statistics:

0/8, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K, .000/.111/.000

E: now 0/11 after this afternoon's game

Yeah but that speech during the rain delay tho

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The team record in Spring Training means nothing. The Cubs went 11-19 last year in Spring Training.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

Jason Heyward is basically the worst baseball player in the history of the game.

He hit a home run in today's game, so his swing is completely, 100% fixed. He'll be gunning for the MVP in 2017.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wanna see a batter steal 2nd, 3rd, and home on 3 straight pitches after eating a retaliation pitch

Then he taunts the pitcher a second time

Funnily enough, Jake Arrieta stole second in the 2015 WC Game immediately after being intentionally beaned.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Looking through his Twitter John Baker seems like a cool dude I would wanna drink beers and go to the batting cage with.

If you ever get the chance to go to a batting cage with him, make sure you shout "WELCOME TO THE BAKERY!" every time he crushes one.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thrown Out On The Basepaths Like Atheist Nonbelievers

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I don't know if it's still the case, but back in September, Tebow jerseys were #3 in sales behind Kris Bryant and David Ortiz.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In the big inning...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thoroughly enjoying finally being the powerful team everyone hates for once.

That's Cub.

(That's also Blackhawk)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

That has to be the hottest 16 ABs of all time right? At that rate he should be easily hitting 80 HRs guaranteed.

Kris Bryant 2015 Spring Training (40 AB): .425/.477/1.175

1.652 OPS for the entirety of Spring Training. :eyepop:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Glenallen Hill is the reason why steroid use should be encouraged in this sport.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

The Italian and Dutch hats are rad as heck.

If I saw someone wearing the one for the Netherlands, I'd think he was a Peugeot fan.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Capt. Sticl posted:

Introducing #ChurroDog 2.0 - everything you love about the original but now with Oreo cookie crumbs and strawberry topping. 😋 #DbacksEats

Would

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

I love the resignation in Stone's voice, like, "... why did I leave the Cubs?"

Pretty sure it wasn't Stoney's choice

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

BasicFunk posted:

I never really understood the Chip Caray hate. I'm not saying he's good, but I think he's tolerable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RHcGWHuThE

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Manny hit a double off the wall in his first AB in Japan

https://twitter.com/SalaDeportivaRD/status/842434567051087872

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Explosionface posted:

Pat Hughes's "It's got a chaaaance...GONE!" works pretty well. I also like that Len Kasper doesn't have a set call, though they're usually punctuated by "Gone!" or "Outta here!"

The best is when Len's voice cracks when screaming "GONE!" :allears:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Has this been posted? It's Grandpa dancing in a bedazzled cubs uniform.

I suck at phone posting too

"Is Grandpa Sexy?" :dong::corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I want my baseball players to be someone I can sit down and have a beer with.

Someone make a team of Travis Woods

• Locked thread