Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

This is my biggest problem with Tebow Time right now. I enjoy watching him fail at the game, it's hilarious to me that the loving Mets thought this was a good/necessary signing in order to drum up ticket sales and revenue. But why the gently caress are the MLB official outlets covering it so much? The man is never gonna get above rookie ball on merit.

They were promoting it on the MLB.com homepage which is just absurd. It's not like he's playing for charity or something noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Remember when some of us thought the Rockies were the dark horse to make a wild card game? Those were some times...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

I popped in just to see if anyone was talking about Odor's bat flip :v: so allow me to be the one to broach that subject here.

The flip was excellent. It's too bad he isn't very bright. I can't wait to see Jays fans frame a screen capture of that and bring it to Rangers-Jays games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't think losing their 4th or 5th best starter and a couple months of Ian Desmond changes that much, TBH. I still have Colorado as the 3rd best team in the West. If Gray and/or Hoffman take a step forward I think they're right there with the Mets and Cards for a WC spot.

Tom Murphy broke his forearm. It's only going to keep him out 4-6 weeks but you have to worry how arm injuries can linger with hitters.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

You gotta admit it was a pretty beautiful punch as punches go in major sports though.

I'm still a little annoyed that Bautista claimed it was a sucker punch, there was a shove first after his dirty slide and he was obviously in a stance to throw a punch after that.

Bautista is an rear end in a top hat, too. We just don't see it because it doesn't get caught on camera so much. I have heard multiple commentators say he is not well liked around baseball.

N: Cubs are 6-8 in ST so far.

V: Time to panic

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 15, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

Yadier Molina is awesome and good and I have always liked him, this is a Hot Take from forums poster Tom Gorman.

I expect backlash but these are my true feelings SAS.

He's awesome but that was the dumbest steal I've seen in a long time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

Maddon really didn't trust anybody but Chapman or Montgomery out of the pen, huh? Guess it makes sense giving Rondon/Strop never fully came back from injury, Grimm was inconsistent, and Wood's arm had fallen off by that point. Not going to complain too much since a) we won, and b) the Indians were infinitely more beat up/injured, but our bullpen was a mess come the postseason.

He recently said it was the injuries Rondon and Strop were fighting with. I was glad it wasn't just him losing faith in them over nothing. I think the whole team was pretty tight-lipped during the post-season because :ssh:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

And it had nothing to do with Bud Selig's daughter owning the territorial rival Milwaukee Brewers.

Nope! Not a thing. *whistles*

It was also convenient that he removed his colluding stain from the ownership pool by getting that promotion to be commissioner.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If you're going to read that, might as well get this one out of the way, too.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18898859

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Speaking of the Marlins

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18931693

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Walrus posted:

back back back is bad and yet at the same time "up up up and there she goes yes sir she's gone" is great, baseball truly is a game of subtleties

The way he delivers back back back is a prime example of the flaw in American speech in which yelling a thing repeatedly with no variation in volume or tone = emphasis.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The best is when Len's voice cracks when screaming "GONE!" :allears:

"It could be. It might be. It is... A Home Run!" From Harry was a pretty good call. He varied the different parts of the call for emotion/effect and it's still stuck in my brain almost 20 years later.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does Bonds count as a prodigal son since he got fired and has taken one hell of a beating in the press since he played his last season in SF?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Tim Anderson is a better player than Javier Baez. Not as interesting to watch, though.

The hottest of takes.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Dan Duquette reveals why he didn't try to sign Joey Bats:

Should have signed them both.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Machado's made it pretty clear that he fully intends to hit free agency running after the 2018 season.

Of course, if Duquette's still around, maybe he'll get all twisted up and pay him some ridiculous amount of money, like he did with Chris Davis (Scott Boras convinced Duquette that there was a ~mystery team~ out there that was willing to beat the Orioles' 7 / 154 offer, and so Duquette negotiated against himself and wound up coughing up an extra seven million bucks).

I want to go back in time and argue in this thread that Manny Machado won't make it as a shortstop but also he will probably get as much or more money in free agency as Bryce Harper.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ice To Meet You posted:

If you needed any more confirmation that the Cubs are the villains,

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/844899752349253632

The pope is the mortal head of an organization that oversees 1.7 billion members whose allegiance determines daily, weekly and/or seasonal rituals for its members. Not that impressive, I guess.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Nope, he's making pretty good work of the rest of the Cubs lineup. Arrieta's just good at hitting meatballs.

Swing as hard as you can in case you hit something is a good tactic for a pitcher. Javier Baez, on the other hand, could maybe back off every once in a while.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Arm_Fruit posted:

"Javier Baez is the most exciting player to watch in baseball!"...

Sure, when he's not infuriatingly swinging at three straight high heaters.

More like:

Fans: "JAVY: EVERYBODY WATCHING THIS GAME KNOWS A SLIDER AWAY IS COMING!"

Javy: Swings through at a strike three slider thrown out of the zone

Cubs trying to suppress his workload.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This article just makes me fear that a Kris Bryant career-derailing injury is imminent.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2017/03/21/kris-bryant-chicago-cubs-born-win

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I actually have legitimate worries about MLB getting bonus baby players into the country from the DR if the immigration is going to tighten their buttholes about every little details.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

They should really teach players about Zoilo Versalles, who played in a very different era, but also had no financial restraint and ended up broke and dead at 55.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Is Dylan Cozens going to be good or was that a fluke year.

That home ballpark also led to Darin Ruf hype.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I guess the exciting thing about Mookie Betts is his ability to do the grapevine while tracking down routine fly balls?

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/846402698467512321

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

I would like the Orioles to keep breaking fangraphs.

I really enjoy this. But I feel really bad for teams like the Rays who catch the repercussions of this and end up with 69 wins instead of the 80 or so they deserved.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

He's going to get massively booed and also throw an incredibly terrible pitch, I'm looking forward to it.

That's really cool. I like how the A's have really embraced being the Oakland team.

Susan Slusser mentioned in an interview that a fan suggested the A's build a ballpark on a floating island that they can just move wherever they want it. I cannot wait for Flotilla Park.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He could definitely have a 2nd career as some kind of game show host.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The White House declined the Nats' invitation for Trump to throw out the first pitch.

I wish some brave soul would attempt to convince Trump that the MLB anti-trust exemption should be over turned because baseball is a failing sport and it needs free market intervention to save it. It's up to Congress but they could see it as something they can actually work together on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If Moises Alou is to be believed, that piss may have made Chipper a better hitter. So you're welcome, Larry.

I really hope, when Chipper gets elected to the Hall, that someone takes the opportunity to talk to players from the mid-90s about what Chipper was like as a young player. Was he an arrogant prick or did he keep his head down and just follow along with the more veteran players?

• Locked thread