Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Professor SJW posted:

even the kiosk thing is bad. it still cuts a bunch of human jobs. and pretty soon the cooking end will be fully auto and each store will have just like 1 human working to monitor stuff. thathuman will have degrees and be highly skilled and it wont be a job a lot of people can get
Can't kill the demand for such services, though. The ability to place an order for pickup through a website or app does the same thing, and a certain percentage of people is always going to prefer the machine the same way a certain percentage is going to want friendly face-to-face service. I agree that the behind-the-counter stuff is the real threat. I find it kind of depressing to think that such a large portion of the population can't do more than repetitive tasks in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

What resources are so scarce that we couldn't support a global population of say 11b for hundreds of years at least?
Respect and human dignity

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

The entire point behind the bathroom stuff in the first place is bc trans people were and are getting hella bullied but that's neither here nor there I suppose right?
The bathroom stuff fell apart when people got upset that penises were in the women's room, but then they got more upset when vaginas were in the women's room, too, because they were the wrong kind of people.

They don't want those people in any bathrooms.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

what if the presence of a non passing tranwoman in the women's bathroom makes women coming in uncomfortable using it

that's bullying right there that innit
Is it? There are a lot of people who have to use a restroom that I'm not comfortable being around, that doesn't mean I get to kick them out based on appearance. Because even if we're enforcing some ridiculous genital checks, those people still aren't going to be happy with the results because they just don't want those people in their bathroom, no matter what genitals they have.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

what is this lol
Do you need me to explain it like you're a child? The people who get offended by transgenders using bathrooms always use the example of a penis being in the women's room. They don't want a penis in the women's room, it's only for vaginas. So they try to pass laws to make it so penises aren't allowed in the women's room, but wait, that's not good enough, either. They're also upset that a person with a vagina is in the women's bathroom. They say that person doesn't belong there, either. Wait, so it's not the penis or the vagina that they're upset about? What could it be?

They don't want transgender people with a penis in their bathrooms, nor do they want a transgender people with vaginas in their bathrooms. They just want them to go away.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Moridin is some wide eyed idealist and I'm the guy who's seen a single eyeball in the crack of the bathroom stall in the library watch me while I piss at the urinal and he moans and taps his feet
It's cool and good that you keep in touch with your local political representatives.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

iuvian posted:

I love how the "grass roots" (LOL) organized anti-trump bullshit all got together and tried to make a dead soldier a talking point only to have Trump bring his widow on stage and pray to Baby Jesus while everybody claps and cries.

Please get your poo poo together nobody wants 8 years of Trump for gently caress sake,
Be the change you want to see in the world

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Rights are God-given and inalienable

unless you're a foreigner

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Leftists Always Lie. (LAL) I wont hold you personally responsible for anything than posting propaganda, but their is a different video that shows what happened. you see a person physically charging and punching someone seemingly out of the blue getting shot. sorry you belief stupid lies so easily.
Laugh Out Loud (LOL). Reminder that afeelgoodpoop is a pizzagater.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

your friend a dog posted:

how retarded would you have to be to think that 'artisinal amateur explosives' is real
it says "artisanal amateur explosives" you goober

you goob

you loving goobster

what a goobroni

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You're a tech worker then. You're in the global empire camp. You don't care because illegal immigrants don't threaten your livelyhood or have a negative impact on your economic situation, in fact, they improve it by decreasing overall American wages.

Trump's cracking down on those H1b1 visas or whatever they are, meaning you're kind of in the same camp as illegals
Surprise, Spunky Psycho Ho doesn't like immigrants whether they came here legally or illegally.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

isn't it more that he didn't mention it at the confirmation hearing tho
It's not that he didn't mention it, he went out of his way to commit perjury. Why?

quote:

SEN. AL FRANKEN: "If there was any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this (2016) campaign, what would you do?," the Minnesota Democrat asked.
SESSIONS: "I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."
DATE: January 10
He basically got asked "If evidence came about that Trump's campaign stole 30 cakes what would you do as AG?" and his response was "I NEVER STOLE ANY CAKES!"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Tiny Deer posted:

I don't understand, I thought the alt-right liked being called the alt-right? Like it was their thing, they were to the right wing of politics but an alternative to the traditional GOP? I swear I've seen people describe themselves as alt-right before.
But those people are violating the first two rules of fight club.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Poetic Justice posted:

Have you read the full quote? It changes the context.

Franken: CNN just published a story alleging that the intelligence community provided documents to the president-elect last week, that included information that "Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump." These documents also allegedly say "there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government." Again, I'm telling you this as it's coming out, so you know. But if it's true, it's obviously extremely serious, and if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?"

Sessions: "Senator Franken, I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communicataions with the Russians, and I'm unable to comment on it."
I've seen that and it doesn't change any of the context.

Franken brought up allegations that Trump's campaign was exchanging information with intermediaries for the Russian government and asked what Sessions would do about it. Sessions response is that he did not communicate with the Russians.

...And then they said he did but didn't talk about the election.

...And then they said he did talk about the campaign but it was light.

...And now Trump has said that Sessions has his "full confidence" :rip:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Poetic Justice posted:

The context being of course he met the Russian ambassador, because that's part of his job, as a senator. He did not meet him in his function as a Trump surrogate.
Yeah, not buying it, and seeing how congressional Republicans are calling for him to recuse himself, I'd say that argument is something for frogmen to tell themselves as they rock back and forward worrying that things have begun mattering again.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

nigga crab pollock posted:

yeah lying under oath is basically a complete and direct confirmation of russian involvement in the election. don't you read the news?
We already have direct confirmation of russian involvement in the election. We monitored conversations of them arguing over how far to go with interfering with our elections and they were responsible for a campaign of cyber attacks on state electoral systems in September. There may be a Benghazi-like effect on the public where if you say "Russian election interference" everyone thinks we're talking about their own personal collection of rumors and half-truths ("they rigged the vote!"), but there is no real question as to whether Russia meddled with our elections. Even congressional Republicans accept that, and it's pretty funny that you're trying to paint that as a conspiracy theory while simultaneously arguing that 17 different intelligence agencies only came to that conclusion as a result of conspiracy. :tinfoil:

All this weird poo poo with Sessions, Flynn, Manafort, etc is just shady people being shady.

Fog Tripper posted:

McCain and Graham have done this at every turn and are the most rino of all rinos. gently caress them both.
I was talking about Portman, Issa, Heller, etc asking him to recuse himself. The list is growing.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Frijolero posted:

So proof? Can you please share the proof so we can start indicting people?
Indicting the Russians? Who do you think is going to be doing that?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/06/us/politics/document-russia-hacking-report-intelligence-agencies.html

Kjoery posted:

i mean, trump himself lied about being in contact with russia and putin. a bunch of times, im pretty sure.

so theres that too
Yeah, but I thought it went without saying that Trump is a pathological liar.

Fog Tripper posted:

Pleasantries and being social at government functions is horrid to you. My god the thought of it just puts you into an uncomfortable state.
Truly weird poo poo.
Huh? What government function? I was never at a government function, who said that? I've never been social, I've never been pleasant. I've never been uncomfortable.

What do you mean I'm acting shady?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Maya Fey posted:

The evidence is in this hat. No you can't look inside the hat.
We don't have access to first-hand sources of classified information held by top intelligence agencies. I understand why that will leave doubt and I can't ask you to believe it without any reservation, but I can say that it's an unwieldy standard to decide such information should be dismissed out of hand. No one on this forum can provide me direct proof showing Russia was responsible for the bombing of a UN convoy, but that doesn't mean I should take the Kremlin's word when they deny it, or claim the intelligence community conspired to fabricate it based on nothing.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

thathonkey posted:

gotta admire how anti hillary the frogmen still are even though she lost really badly and their man won
Meh, like Trump, they confused winning the election with earning everyone's respect, and are genuinely shocked and heartbroken that this was not the case.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

new phone who dis posted:

Both sides of the establishment hate him for not being one of them. The Russia thing is a bipartisan effort from the IC for that reason.
Why do you think the IC is more concerned with him "not being one of them," rather than being a narcissistic clown who ignores briefings over his fickle feelings and Fox & Friends bylines?

Personally, I think the "Trump isn't the establishment" narrative is bunk so long as he keeps putting elites in his cabinet and pushing anything from the GOP platform through. If people are looking for a champion who will fight for the people against the political class, they're pretty wrong to be backing the billionaire who dines with Guiliani and Sessions and writes off constituents at local town halls as "paid protesters." Same with the "voting for Trump is like rolling the dice" line, when he's been just as terrible as he's been promising he would be. These are patently false perspectives that benefit Trump.

Knight fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 3, 2017

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

There's a long tradition of presidents only being culled from certain circles and Trump threw that out the window completely. The IC knows he wasn't in bed with the Russians, but they're continuing to beat the drum regardless because not only is Trump not from their preferred circles, if the Russians really did hack Podesta it makes the IC look lovely there, too. It's an entire gaggle of losers throwing a huge fit because they all got beat.
Again, why do you think that is the deciding factor? So much that you keep steering the conversation in that direction to avoid the obvious: that he hates intelligent briefings and thinks he knows everything from watching cable news.

What kind of traditional circle did Barack Obama come from? How much mileage is Trump going to get out of the "This is a distraction because Hillary Clinton lost the election" tweets with you?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Obama came right out of the meat grinder that is Chicago Democrat politics. The intel community shouldn't be in the business of destabilizing and undermining elected officials it doesn't like. They work for the government, they shouldn't be holding them hostage.
And why would coming out of Chicago make the IC respect him as "one of them"? I really don't understand why you think that would impress them.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

He's been 100% produced and vetted by the established system. He's Ivy-League and a known commodity.
Can't say I didn't expect you to say that, but whatever you've gotta tell yourself. Trump is an elitist who hob-knobs with politicians and billionaires to line his pockets at the expense of the people, but he sells supporters and enablers the fantasy that he's a wildcard who the establishment is out to get in a bitter grudge because "they" lost the election! Meanwhile he keeps the system running as always, benefiting the rich and powerful at the expense of the common man, bombing foreign countries and putting his family and friends in positions of power. But you can keep defending his obvious lies and shady behavior, or any other of his dangerous faults, because the only real problem you'll talk about is that boogeyman over there! They're all in cahoots and sooo jealous, it's pathetic!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Trump killed an eight year old American girl his first week in office bruh
The woke 8 year olds said this would happen :tinfoil:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
more like lol trump's schumer's hosed, am i rite?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/837722869106880517

right? Couldn't find a picture of Hillary?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Do you know what that is code for when you go for "donuts and coffee" with someone, right?
No, I am horrifically vanilla. Please explain using Schumer and Putin as characters.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Lunixnerd posted:

Still not understanding how or why Russia is the bad guy again, can someone explain it to me?
The argument is that they want a President who will look the other way when they bomb UN convoys and invade other countries. Not a far walk from the last decade but it would be a bonus.

Wait, no, BOW BEFORE PUTIN OR NUCLEAR WAR WAR OR APPEASEMENT COMPUTE ERROR COMPUTE

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Really, it's not like everyone suddenly got afraid of Russia and think they're going to steal their children and eat them all of a sudden. Everyone has about the same unfavorable opinion about Russia as they did over the last 5 years...except for Republicans, who are suddenly more favorable towards Putin than they've ever been.

I can speculate on the reasons why, but ultimately this makes a lot of people suspicious. It makes people more suspicious when they start trying to influence our election in favor of a candidate who can't stop praising Putin, denying that he or his campaign has any dealings with Russia, and then having people in his campaign resign after their connections are discovered. This is a concern over the Trump administration in their honesty and openness about dealing with Russia more than Russia itself.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I think a lot of Republicans view Russia as a prospective ally in a cultural war against Islam. We're talking about a lot of different people, so their reasons may have broad range, from wanting to team up to stop ISIS (an admirable goal) with a foreign leader that is viewed as a more "brutal" authoritarian, to a more generalized battle to crush multiculturalism under the joined banner of either white supremacy or European culture/heritage. But I'm not a political scientist so don't take that to the bank and try to cash it.

Peace with Russia is still the ideal, the US has not been exactly virtuous in comparison.

Kjoery posted:

are there any other polls of favourability though? also, is that a reliable source?

vvvv oh ok, cool, thanks friend!
Here's another good one: http://www.gallup.com/poll/204191/putin-image-rises-mostly-among-republicans.aspx?g_source=position1&g_medium=related&g_campaign=tiles

Over the last 2 years there has been a dramatic change of opinion of Putin by party affiliation. Somehow when Americans, as a whole, have been more and more unfavorable towards Putin, the reaction among one group has swung dramatically in the opposite direction.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

lmao what the hell are you talking about? republicans that go on yougov to do polls are apparently also in on the russian conspiracy? do you reckon everybody who identifies as a republican becomes instantly aware of their role to serve the russian motherland lmfao?
The results were the same on Gallup and I already gave my opinion why I thought this happened and it was not "Republicans are sleeper agents working for the Kremlin!"

How do you explain this change?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

probably coincides with increase in frequency on how often russia and putin are covered in the american media so the average republican is more aware of putin and the tough man image that's designed to appeal to the likes of him/her, whereas before that people didn't really know who putin was and didn't give a poo poo?
That's the basic conclusion I came to 2 pages ago, so I guess we can agree instead of "lmao what the hell are you talking about?"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best part is the president has spent like half his time since becoming president not in dc.
Easy D get outta DC
Go to Mar-a-Lago
Gotta drink some pee

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The electoral college is a divisive thing for conservatives and liberals now because it is strongly influenced by our original founding as individual states that united under a small federal government, and for the most part retaining more independence on that level. As opposed to the liberal perspective that we are a nation of individual people, not states, under the federal government, who would prefer the popular vote to decide the Presidential election. It's an essential states rights vs federalism disagreement, and Democrats have seen their candidate win the popular vote but lose the election twice in the last 20 years.

Now let me tell you what cartoon frogs are good and which are bad

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Request to rename the Electoral College to "Affirmative Action for Rural States"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Cephalectomy posted:

Both sides cry about the college when its not on their side. Hillary was a poo poo candidate with a muddled platform and the only clear message most people got from her over the sound of frothing idiot identity politic pushers was "lol donald trump."
Has the GOP candidate ever won the popular vote but lost the EC?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
My approval ratings are higher

OWNED DRUMPF

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Trump is not making profit. He's barely staying afloat.

I wouldn't call it successful.
One of my old bosses, who is really enthusiastic about Trump, says he would kill for that kind of success. I mean, he's a guy who owns his own business that was handed down from his father, and blows all his money as quickly as he earns it then considers declaring bankruptcy to escape his crippling debt in the slow seasons, but I dunno, I've known him for decades and am willing to respect his viewpoint. Sure wouldn't vote for him, though. :shrug:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's actually more a commentary on how detractors have never attempted to do anything with their lives. They don't understand that for every 8 businesses only 1 succeeds. It's hard to do things in life. But you keep trying, no matter how much you fail.

And then one day, after much failure, you can become the president by just working hard day in day out.

But you're a little Canadian commie, so you don't get that.
Wait, are you the Fedex Manager?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mnoba posted:

the US is now a leading exporter of oil which has created god knows how many jobs and low energy prices for families and that is somehow bad?
Is it? Since when?

quote:

22. United States $8.7 billion 1.1%
http://www.worldstopexports.com/worlds-top-oil-exports-country/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

USSAr posted:

and not doing anything about cops shooting black people (lol he's even from chicago!)
Excuse me, but do you not remember Obama calling a press conference and telling us to kill all cops?

No?

Well, my friends who work as security guards all remember it.

• Locked thread