Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

A misanthrope posted:

just wait until automation starts taking more middle class office jobs

i'd say everyone will be working at mcdonalds but robots will have those jobs too

Blockchain technology is already putting tons of accountants out of work and I've worked at two different companies in the last five years that automated most of the HR department.

It's only a matter of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Woden posted:

For real though, what does the US manufacture that average people actually buy?

I don't remember buying anything with a made in the USA sticker on it since the 90's.

mostly textiles, iirc, and a lot of those are made in places like Guam, lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Oscar Wild posted:

If you keep humping this narrative it'll make a baby you can't abort. Bring back artesian iPhones, bring back manufacturing to the working class.

*doesn't want to work for a secondary degree, feels entitled to a living wage.

your iphone was made by a robot and it still costs 700 dollars

how much do you think your made in the USA iphone is going to cost, and without raising the minimum wage or implementing GMI, how is anyone going to be able to afford it?

if your answer is "all those high paying manufacturing jobs", well, there still won't be enough jobs to employ everybody (because even foreign workers are getting hedged out with productivity improvements) and when nobody in America can afford to buy poo poo, the jobs that are there will dry up pretty quick

quote:

Bring back artesian iPhones

iphones have never sprung water from the ground and even if they had they were never built in the USA and never could be

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

KomodoWagon posted:

This unironically is the solution, but Wall Street goes insane when the idea of giving poor people money pops up, so it will never gain political traction

you'd think wall street would be going nuts for the opportunity to eliminate all the make-busy work their companies are paying for, but I'm pretty sure everybody rich in this country knows the empire is falling and they're just cashing in while they can.

none of these people care if their company exists and employs people after they're gone, they're just interested in getting paid and insulating themselves further from the decline

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You think Americans are ideologically opposed to "Communism" this is incorrect they are realistically opposed to college educated pseudo-intellectuals trying to take their stuff that they worked for away from them

hey spunky psycho ho, what do you do for a living? just curious as to what vitally important role you serve society

in before middle management in accounting

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It feels better to be able to work hard and prosper than to lay around asking for more, this is my life lesson I impart to you

answer the question, you hard worker, you

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Oscar Wild posted:

They could be cheaper if there was less emphasis on profit margins. Right now stock is just wealth transfer to the wealthy. A diversification of oligarchs. Apple just needs to accept that in this presidency, the costs of relocating American factory jobs is ultimately a losing gamr. Ameicans putting screws and soldering parts in phones is the future. Same as coal energy.

ahhhahhaha you almost got me until that last line

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Middle management at a delivery company

So you have a job that is completely useless

Thanks for your contribution to the thread

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

If you want to gussy up my title it's Operation Manager at a Logistics company

Moving things from one place to another is useless?

Yeah here's the thing, chief, you don't do that

Your employees do

Their timecards are probably already being managed by a piece of software, do you really think they couldn't just replace all the managers in your company with one guy who rubber stamps time cards and sorts schedules all day? Operations management is pretty much the most automatable middle management job. You are doing nothing that couldn't be done better with a piece of software

Your job is essentially welfare, it's just being subsidized through service and goods costs instead of taxpayer money. Hiring you comes at the expense of the employees under you, the ones who are doing the actual, real work, you lousy bum.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I wouldn't say better, I do organize and problem solve all day. Computers can do it faster and more brutally. It would be worse for the employees.

:laffo:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

No poo poo, that's why I would like there to be more jobs.

of course somebody who does a make-busy do-nothing job for a living thinks the solution is more jobs and not just a cut-to-the-chase GMI

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

This is Uber, which people do not like working for.

you work the most replaceable middle management job in one of the leading drivers of the death of traditional employment, lol, i cannot believe anyone can really be this thick

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I work non-stop, and also I make sure that my employees are taken care of in best way I can. I often battle management and take the side of the employees

you really don't

you would know this if you'd ever actually done one of these coal, manufacturing, or warehousing jobs you seem to think really need saving

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I've worked in a warehouse and worked off conveyor belts, yes

Sure you have, your vast experience at the frito-lays plant when you were a teenager really has made you qualified to comment on the erosion of middle class manufacturing jobs

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

No, it means Uber is the future (unless there is regulation put into place) but people do not want to work for Uber

People mainly don't want to work for Uber because the wages are inconsistent and it's hard to cover the base expenses of the job and all your bills on the money you make

A GMI would make the gig economy actually make sense.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I don't get what the problem is. I'm like a liberal arts major that had to work lovely jobs because I loving hated trying to go into advertising or marketing and it's not so bad. I want there to be more people working and more opportunities for everyone

1. Look up the phrase "Full Employment"
2. Even if that wasn't a thing, opportunities will continue to dry up unless we take an aggressively luddite stance on new productivity developments

Even if you banned full automation of job responsibilities on the federal level, people would still be finding ways to improve processes so they can cut the HR or Accounting department down a few more heads. Jobs that used to take hundreds of people to do can now be done with a team of ten people, and those jobs aren't going to be around for much longer either.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Full employment is bad. You cannot have it. It leads to hyper inflation.

The guy who handles scheduling and approves timecards for a delivery company has some pretty serious opinions on extremely complicated economic concepts

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

That means we have to have factories here! Trump!

:cripes:

Just FYI, we are starting to manufacture things in the USA again, for the same reason we were able to keep auto manufacturing in the US in the first place - robots! Do you think they're putting humans on the assembly lines in all these battery factories popping up everywhere?

Why would anyone build a factory overseas, and then ship goods across the ocean, when they could just build the poo poo local with a machine factory and only have to hire maintenance technicians and essential administrative personnel?

We will manufacture in the states again, but we won't do it with American workers, because American workers expect to be paid more than their labor is worth relative to a machine or foreign worker. You're not going to save the manufacturing jobs without banning both, and if you ban both you better believe people will give up on the US market. Higher taxes will drive some companies out, but most will stay because our market is still going to be lucrative. Force companies to take an operating loss for the sake of maintaining a tradition that's not even 200 years old and watch how fast they flee.

"Full Time Employment" made the industrial revolution work, but we don't need it anymore and it's loving dumb that we keep coming up with excuses to keep everyone working around the clock. We don't need more operations managers!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 15, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

tenspott posted:

Your posts read like a kid in a community college econ course.

let me guess: you work in payroll

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

And you are a college student? I answered bud

I'm 32, didn't go to college

I work in the IT department in a position that actually occasionally gets up and does work that can't be accomplished with 19 y/o excel expert's macro collection

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's also routing, problem solving, interactions with clients, training new staff. It's a job all right. Should I be ashamed to work?

"Well, carl is going on vacation next week, so I'd better click approve on his request, and then send an email to our DL asking somebody to fill in for him with a link right to the internal company system that handles scheduling. I'll CC the client on it so they know Carl won't be the one they're talking to. This is a very hard and demanding job."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Okay you're ragging on me, and you work in IT, "DID YOU TRY RESETTING"

i don't primarily answer phone calls for a living and resetting people's computers is a lot harder than checking my email for contractor extensions and hitting an "approve" button a couple of times a day

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lmao, I route 350+ orders in real time a day while I argue with an IT guy

there are programs that do your job automatically already and they've been paying dispatchers 7.50 an hour to do it ever since the last minimum wage increase :ssh:

I'm sure you have something smug to add about how you're a "production" department and don't care what some "cost center" thinks

we laugh every time your department gets downsized due to a hot new script btw

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

But did you try resetting? Power off the modem, and then wait 10 seconds.

i bet you call the helpdesk every time the cord on your monitor comes a little loose

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

scrubs season six posted:

That doesn't really sound like middle management.

nah, that's totally middle management. most middle managers end up doing bullshit clerical work to fill their time. they could absolutely pay a guy minimum wage to do it, but they already pay this guy to hit approve a few times a day and reply to emails so he might as well add the dispatching to his list of responsibilities

Poetic Justice posted:

I thought a lot of IT jobs were getting taken over by cheap Indian/Asian IT workers?

They are, and automation is replacing a lot of them too

I am not in one of those jobs, though

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

This definitely happened but I can't remember what thread it was in. I want to say the "talk about your coworkers" thread

it's happened more than once and made national news. I want to say it happened at Yahoo in 2009 or 2010 and again at Verizon Enterprise Services in 2013. Very senior engineer in both cases getting paid 250k+ and they were outsourcing all of their work to teams in china

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

honestly I find it kind of funny that they fired him because he wasn't doing anything different than a team manager for an IT coding department does and he was making about the same amount of money, too

you'd think they'd have praised him for his ingenuity, really, if he was "the best developer in the building"

edit: half-jokes aside though I recall the reason they fired him was the RSA token, I used to work for VES (a few years before this) and they had an absurd number of government contracts, and they had to be handled in a very particular way. They did not gently caress around with network access.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 15, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sorry, you think every single person has the time, knowledge, and access necessary to rely on primary sources?

I don't understand why they don't just go to the white house and read the dossier like the rest of us :smug:

Poetic Justice posted:

We began this conversation because according to you Trump didn't fire Flynn immediately and was just using him as some sort of plausible deniability chip. Perhaps Trump wanted some investigation done seriously and diligently before making that decision?

this is a pretty big jump in logic to make about the guy who turned his country club into a situation room when a potential nuclear crisis was developing

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
just a tip: if you think Donald Trump is thinking something through real carefully before he does it, think again

i would think this would be obvious after the last two years but somehow...

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Poetic Justice posted:

Apparently there are no jobs in America so what the hell else are they doing!?

with a straw man this big we're certain to please the harvest gods this year

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Poetic Justice posted:

Yes. Thirsty Girl said Trump was briefed months ago about Flynn. My beginning point and first post that started this was we don't know what Trump was briefed with, and I personally won't judge Trump for not immediately firing Flynn because without knowing what sort of information was shown, it's not something I'd feel qualified making a judgement on.

get ready for the next four years, where half the country pretends to not know what inference is

"How can we make snap judgements about Trump if we aren't interacting with Donald Trump on a day to day basis, in person, in an advisory capacity? We don't have all the facts!!!!!!!"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Poetic Justice posted:

I think we should wait for more information before jumping to conclusions, yes.

OK, but the information we already has looks very, very bad for the administration to the point where his own party are opening multiple investigations

What's going to have to happen to meet your demanding litmus test? Is he gonna have to get up on the podium and say "Yep, the Ruskies put me here and I didn't fire my buddy Flynn because Putin wanted him in office"?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The platform I would've really wanted to see in 2016 would've been "Revitalizing the American Economy Through 100% Legalized Drugs"

well, good thing you elected Trump, the person most likely to roll back all progress on the drug war and start jailing marijuana users again

in before "Well, actually, Trump said he was pro drug in..." while ignoring he picked Jeff Sessions as his AG (and we knew it was either going to be sessions or christie back in like loving september dude)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Toadvine posted:

Shut the gently caress up, good lord.

There are probably two real Trump supporters itt and one is prorat which could go either way. Besides, Clinton supporters did more to elect Trump than salty Bernouts like myself

I wasn't talking to you???

Spunky Psycho Ho has been pretty upfront about voting for Trump, lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shayl posted:

So uh...I help write software that automates/simplifies the process of goods transportation. I think I might be one of the bad guys.

you're one of the good guys, you're one of the best guys, because you're contributing to the final cleanup phase of the industrial revolution. Thank you for being on the forefront of progress.

Now if only the rest of the country would figure out the industrial revolution was over

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shayl posted:

I mean to be fair if you learn to code there are lots of jobs. We can't find enough people to fill the roles we have. Don't even have to go to college to learn it.

lol yep

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Ah ha! Low level technocrat shows his true stripes

I'm sorry for feeling a little resentment over the obligation to work 5 days a week when the productivity tools to halve that already exist and our economy has ample excess cash to handle the decrease in productivity per dollar per laborer if the work week was shortened or reduced.

you don't have to be a technocrat to know that we don't need to pay a department to approve timecards when we already have team managers and an auditing department that goes through the records every quarter

we don't need everybody to have a job and we don't need everybody to spend a third of every weekday at a jobsite. The money to do this already exists in the economy, at the top of it. A GMI would simply distribute that wealth more evenly across all income brackets. It would be good for the economy to actually have people spending the money we are printing.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 15, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

a bone to pick posted:

ugh they'd just find a loophole to take advantage of the tax break without actually doing any work, that's what they always do.

they'll find a worker willing to do the community service for them for 1 or 2% of the money they get from the tax break

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

fyodor posted:

Yes Woody Allen's Captain Planet with his free rainbow services for everyone forever was definitely going to get elected that is not at all a loving dumbfuck thing to think!

populism got trump elected, don't be retarded

rezatahs posted:

there is a shitload on these forums hiding out in their little echo chamber known as c-spam

i hear tell they will probate you for mentioning bernie could've won :slick:

bernie could have won but he lost his primary entirely on his own failings by the time super tuesday 2 rolled around so mentioning it is kind of pointless

pick a different hill to die on because bernie's lovely campaign strategy in the primary prevented him from ever being a contender in the first place

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Knight posted:

I dunno man

Hillary Clinton is in jail?

Obamacare's swift, day 1 repeal also definitely happened

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

rezatahs posted:

yeah on his own failings. not on collusion by the dnc and media to tank his chances because it was "her turn" :grin:

yeah sorry he lost way before that ever became a real issue

the campaign was fully over by the time the nevada primary controversy came up. the superdelegates may have had an impact, but they're not why he lost the entire south and half the states he absolutely needed to win on Super Tuesday 2

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

feelix posted:

yes because "dnc and the media" means "only superdelegates and nothing else"

no wonder you weren't smart enough to go to college or vote for the correct candidate (trump)

media collusion did not cause bernie sanders to pull all campaign staff and advertising dollars from the half of the country he perceived as too black to vote for him

Tad Devine and or Jeff Weaver were responsible for that decision and they are the ones you should be mad at

our failure to hold these people accountable insures we will see them both in left politics for years to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

EorayMel posted:

Bernie probably would have been the best canidate out of this election but if you seriously thought he would become president you're heavily misguided. Emphasis on probably because we will never truly know because that guy is now forever out of the action.

Also what was up with that goon naming his child after him?

we were pretty close to 100% sure that they just filled out a blank form as a goof

• Locked thread