Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's only in retrospect that I realize I could've colored its back sprites' wool orange and I seriously regret not doing so.

Let's Play Pokemon Uranium: No EXP Recieved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

silversatyr posted:

There was also Baadler, but that reused the joke. Yeah, it's pretty dumb. XD

Needs to be immune to witchesFairy types to really work. :v:

Ace of Aces posted:

I've heard people reference the "It was written by children!" thing before but I've never seen an actual source for it in a Pokemon game, so I've always assumed it was just fanon people were taking as truth.

It's a cheap, off-the-cuff explanation as to why pokedex entries can be contradictory or downright violate every known law of physics.

In other words, it's people overthinking the lore and expecting it to be coherent.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Quantum Toast posted:

Same reason you can't capture Cut trees or long grass. :shrug:

Because it's not sentient or self-mobile?

Oh, wait.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's a memory thing in both the case of "why does Sun/Moon chug" and "why is SNES VC only on new 3DS". Virtual Console prides itself on being as close to machine-level emulation as possible, and that eats up a lot of RAM. Likewise, Sun/Moon's battle algorithms were designed with that higher output in mind so things like the battle animations aren't as optimized as they could be.

Sun/Moon is perfectly playable on the oldschool 3DS, as are most games - the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Xenoblade and Binding of Isaac Rebirth (I'm sure there's a handful of others, but it's still the outlier as opposed to the expectation.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

YggiDee posted:

Fairy only exists because Scrafty was too amazing to exist without a double weakness.

Also Hydreigon and Kingdra. Also also, Garchomp was fast enough that the only thing that scared it was either another Garchomp or a Weavile. After Gen 6, though, a bulky flying/fairy type (hi, Togekiss!) no-sells at least 75% of a Garchomp's potential moveset, leaving it only with the inaccurate Stone Edge to fall back on.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 9, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Commander Keene posted:

As other people have said, it's more the fact that two of the starters got a STAB move and one only got a Normal-type attack that's the problem. I don't think anyone would be complaining nearly as hard if they hadn't seemingly deliberately neutered one of the starters.

I believe Gen 4. IIRC, Sinnoh was based upon northern Japan. Then came NYC/New Jersey in Gen 5, France in Gen 6, and Hawaii in Gen 7.

Yeah. Kanto/Johto were the Tokyo environs (more or less), Hoenn was the southern islands, and Sinnoh was Hokkaido.

For spinoff games, Orre is supposed to be Arizona/Nevada, somewhere in the Death Valley area at least, Almia (the region from the Ranger game where Uranium's Moody Dad comes from) is the southern tip of SinnohHokkaido, the other two Ranger regions are just Generic JRPG Land.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Game Freak has been careful not to step on anyone's toes since stuff like the Game Corner became illegal in Europe. It's also a gigantic brand name so they would have to be very careful not to tarnish it with stuff like racism. (If there was stuff like that, I would imagine the localizers would catch that at the very least.)

Jynx went from blackface to "purpleface", so there's still some :raise: to be ironed out.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 9, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Or at least take it to the general Pokemon thread if it's not about Garlikid's stunning four-pack or arranging PUSSYMASHER's funeral.

Chop up some of Farfetch'd's leek and crush up a garlikid, we'll have a nice roast PUSSYMASHER for dinner.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Added Space posted:

So, for non poke maniacs, why is speed so good to have when attacks are always locked one-to-one?

If you kill your enemy in a single hit, then they won't do anything to you, barring fringe abilities.

It may be locked one-to-one, but it's a blitzkrieg nonetheless.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WrightOfWay posted:

You could, but the Dratini line is pretty terrible in game thanks to evolving super late and Dragonite being kind of unimpressive in Gen 1.

I mean, in Gen 1 the only Dragon-type move was Dragon Rage, so while Dragonite still was decent defensively (as long as you avoided Ice Beams) you literally did not have a STAB option, nor did you have the usual neutral-effectiveness fallback move that Dragons love to exploit.

Then again, if you killed an enemy with Hyper Beam, there was no recharge turn, and base 134 attack is nothing to laugh at. With that, it's potentially on par with Snorlax for Gen 1 beam spam, except it evolves way too drat late.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lord Koth posted:

Stage 1 dragons are not very good, even with the neat typing on that one.

Bagon was perfectly serviceable in Ruby/Sapphire, the problem was that Ruby/Sapphire did weird things with evolutions like making Shelgon stupidly weak and not tanky enough to make up for it, or making Vigoroth better than its evolved form just because Slaking's ability is literal dead weight.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aerdan posted:

Also grimer, muk, trubbish, and garbodor...all pokémon that are sentient pollution.

That's actually a bit of a grey area in the "manmade" vs "natural" argument, given how heavily Pokémon bases things off Japanese mythology. Depending on the depiction, literally anything that has existed for a long enough time can gain a spirit of its own and become a tsukumogami, and while Japan itself has been cleaning up a lot in the past 30 or 40 years, its pollution issues were bad. Like, China or metropolitan USA levels of bad. It might be depressing to think "this pile of sludge/this garbage heap has been around for over a century and has attained sentience" but I think it's honestly the underlying design decision behind them.

Koffing and Weezing too, really.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dabir posted:

Dusk are the most useful my man. They're just as powerful as quick balls but on every turn.

Only in 4th Gen. In B/W they changed the catch rate on them. Now it's:

Dusk Ball - 3.5x in "dark" areas (caves, outdoors at nighttime), 1x otherwise (Unchanged from Gen 4)
Quick Ball - 5x when used as the opening (first-turn) move, 1x otherwise. (In Gen 4: 4x on first turn)

One could argue that the 1.5x bonus only "makes up" for the inability to hit a wild pokemon with a status/wear it down before trying to catch it, and the .5x bonus in Gen 4 certainly is that way, but numerically they're not actually quite as strong.

:goonsay:

Also, since this is Pokemon Uranium, I fully expect both Dusk and Quick Balls to be postgame-only.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vorpal Cat posted:

The new hotness is keeping normal pokemon in beastballs, waisting millions of pokedollars each.

Plural, since normal pokeballs are ten times more effective at catching any non-UB pokemon than Beast Balls are.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Forer posted:

MEGAWEAPON's not a question of if your opponent is going to use it, it's how to stop it when it appears.

"A fast and/or adequately tanky pokemon with Earthquake or Brick Break". Dragon/Steel is an amazing defensive combination, but being weak to ground and fighting still - two of the most common offensive types out there - doesn't do it favors. The tricks, then, are finding something that can take a STAB'd Dragon Claw/Iron Head without trouble, and who is strong enough to ideally OHKO or 2HKO it. Not helping matters is that Steel natively resists both its STABs, and it doesn't really have good options to deal with Steel at all, at least in its level up moves (and assuming that I heard right that it can't TM Earthquake).

Even if it could, Skarmory would be a brick wall for it. What's it gonna do, HP Fire off a base-50 Special Attack? :flaccid: That's not the only one, but it's the most obvious. (Of course, that's assuming Skarmory is in the game. For all I know, in Uranium, MEGAWEAPON could potentially have no hard counters because of the way the game's pokedex isn't sure if it wants to have normal 'mon in it or not.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 12, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PMush Perfect posted:

If they're just running off the pre-built scripts, why did it take a full team two years to make?

Two? Nine was the number I heard.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

Between the not Shadow Pokemon and the prominence of Pokemon Rangers, the creators seem to have a real boner for the B and C list spinoffs.

The B and C list spinoffs often include the kind of plot beats that edgelords love, stuff that's only horrifying if you overthink it like being frozen in time for centuries or getting corrupted by evil so hard you can't love any more or being turned into a statue and your soul going to actual hell.

It only makes sense that a plot like this would adore them. They're not like the main series's "wussy kid games" for "casuals" about fighting through gyms and becoming champion and the power of friendship.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inthesto posted:

Not only is the Shining Force 2 soundtrack great, but this is easily one of the best tracks in the entire game

I'm glad I wasn't the only one looking to defend the early Shining series honor. The soundtrack has its duds but seriously, listen to the symphonic version some time, the soundtrack works a whole hell of a lot better when it's not restricted to the Genesis PCM chip.

On-topic,

Nevileen posted:

...Then again, that feels pretty appropriate - this game seems to just barely get what makes pokemon great and so beloved, but fall short in massive ways.

Isn't the whole point of "what makes Pokémon great" the fact that it appeals to a huge swath of the population, casual and hardcore alike, new and old? In general narrowing your demographic (like you would with a fangame) is going to make some or all of it fall flat for everybody but who you're catering to.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I thought I saw a reference to a Hero type in the last update?

I think that was a Sonic Adventure joke since the options were "hero" and "dark".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

freshlybaked posted:

Well that's not fair. Gen V was filled with anime-faced horses

Well, three of them were some variant of deer (and none of them had legs that worked like any equine) but yeah. It takes a lot more than "cartoon magic horse" to pin down something as a brony thing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ZeroCount posted:

Some people just don't like object pokemon and that's okay.

:agreed: Like, as long as you don't ascribe it to "this only happened in newer gens", it's okay if not every pokémon tickles your fancy.

However, even the unpopular ones are polished and gone over in design again and again, in modern games, designed and redesigned and yes, in a lot of cases, overdesigned. They probably would have done that in Gen 1 if they expected the game to sell, at that, but they were held back pretty strictly by their technology then anyway.

I want to know how many redesigns and/or revisions Garlikid went through; I bet it's less than five. They thought "garlic" + "superhero" and then just threw something together they thought fit that. In turn we got One Punch Meditite.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Reimou posted:

So much for that Bealbeach difficulty curve. I'm still not sure what other players were getting at here.

OFS has basically told grinding for EXP to go gently caress itself and is keeping up with the level curve via rare candies.

The biggest part of the Bealbeach difficulty curve is that you've got little to no way to levelgrind comfortably any more. If you're behind the curve, you're going to suffer. If you're on the curve, you're going to fall behind, and suffer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MadScientistWorking posted:

On top of that too the reason why TieTuesday thought the Pokemon had perfect IVs was that even if you are five or six levels higher with a STAB move your Pokemon could just be one shoted. Is there any particular reason why as to why that occurred because that seemed the most infuriating part of the game? Leveling doesn't work the way it should.

Tie was explicitly playing a version with a borderline gamebreaking bug. That bug was that any time a pokemon had a held item, they took double damage from everything. Tie, being a Reasonable Player Of Pokemon, put hold items on his crew, which made an already uphill struggle far worse.

On top of that, while I don't have a good memory on what his team looked like at that point, the stat discrepancies between evolution tiers is starting to show up now, and they're a lot more stark than most official pokemon.

Compare to OFS which has a low-tier fully evolved (Buttplug), a single stage dragon-type shitwrecker (MEGAWEAPON), two mid-tiers fully evolved (Lotadio and Dumbledore), and a couple pieces of filler. Tie might have still been trying to use the starter at this point, the starters are terrible.

EDIT: While I couldn't tell you without digging in the guts of an ancient version, it's entirely possible that hold items just halved a pokemon's stats altogether, which would make a lot more sense than just "2x damage" because damage in pokemon is calculated on a curve, not a line. Note that high-end competitive play is either "chipping away forever at an unbreakable wall" or "rocket tag", no middle ground.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 20, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DTaeKim posted:

I'm more perplexed by its weight. What Ghost-types weigh that much?

Giratina says hi.

Then again, Giratina is basically the living embodiment of dark matter and/or antimatter, so weight is kind of an odd thing to consider there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Genocyber posted:

The soundtrack is as bad as that second evolution :laffo:

There are a few good tracks but most of them are just way too...busy? Like there's way too much going on in them, even the more easy-going themes.

Bells aren't supposed to pitch-shift, that's not how bells work :negative:

Like, I can kind of see what they were going for with some of it but it just hits this sort of musical uncanny valley for me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dabir posted:

Yawn, then.

The reason why I have never managed to commit to competitive play for any length of time: Yawn exists.

The reason why I would never get past the first gym here in Uranium: identical.

gently caress Yawn, is what I'm saying.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah kinda, tho team skull literally took over a town and that's a bit more then just being some delinquents imo

Technically, the town they "took over" was essentially the slums of Hawaii.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Barudak posted:

I beat Heart Gold with my starter and two HM slaves who never saw battle. Let me tell you, even at level 99 typhlosion takes some real damage from the elite 4 rematch.

That's because even if Typhlosion is The Best Pokemon, it's also a fire-type that wasn't built to be a tank so anything with Water or Ground (or Rock) type moves that looks at it funny will be able to gently caress it up.

Fire is a really bad type, defensively, despite only having three weaknesses - entirely because those three weaknesses are super common filler with strong, accurate moves (EQ and Surf, mostly) on almost everything. It doesn't help that its resistances are far less common overall - only Grass 'mon (or Sunnybeamers) run grass moves, only Bug-types (or Psychic killers) run Bug moves, nobody pre-gen 6 ran Steel moves.

WrightOfWay posted:

If you don't use the experience share at all in X/Y you end up super underleveled towards the end of the game. Like lower leveled than wild pokemon so repels don't even work. You kind of have to micromanage the experience share if you want to keep from being significantly over or underleveled.

X/Y has a renewable source of Trainer battle EXP. It's kind of expensive to use, but it pays for itself with the Amulet Coin.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 25, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

mandatory lesbian posted:

metagross and scizor both ran steel moves in gen 5 tyvm

you will know the pain of meteor mash and bullet punch

--I absolutely forgot about the hell that is Technician'd Bullet Punch. I didn't play in Gen 5 competitive. :shobon: But even then, that puts it in the same place as Megahorn or Energy Ball - it's being run by something that will already get melted by a Fire-type anyway.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

XavierGenisi posted:

Am I the only one who thinks of the Ragnarok Online dungeon known as Anthell when looking at this game and it's stupid-rear end decision to name their cave dungeon Anthell?

No, you aren't.

I also hope and pray there's no naked bug girls at the end of this one, or... whatever the hell Phreeoni was. A flat Lickitung?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr. Fetus posted:

With STAB and Acceleration, Flame Impact reaches 146.25 BP. This is almost as strong as a STAB Earthquake.

A STAB Earthquake with ExtremeSpeed priority, off of something with 100 base Attack.

Also Fire is an incredibly good attacking type (even if it sucks defensively) considering how much coverage it has - only Dragon/Fire/Rock/Water resist it, and of those, only Rock walls ExtremeSpeed too.

What's that? It also has Earthquake and base 150 speed? :unsmigghh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Moxie and 565 BST means that Harptera is basically an Ultra Beast. It doesn't even need Gale Wings with that speed

Gale Wings Is The Less Broken Ability Choice - Let's Play Pokemon Uranium

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hammurabi posted:

If the series were a bit less idealized Pokemon would be the most terrifying setting.

Come to think of it I kind of want to see that.

Congratulations, that's the sort of mindset that gives us "Nuclear Pokemon".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like people say "this time you're the rival" every new pokemon game these days.

This was about a page back, but I think it's more "this time you're getting in the way of other characters' goals". When it was Gen 1 and everyone had the personality of wet cardboard, Gary was a roadblock because that was his characterization. He was your biggest obstacle to "beating the game", which at the time was the big goal since Pokemon was new and unexplored. This culminated in him being the champion for five minutes before you stomp him into the dirt.

As the series goes on, and as players start wanting to do things other than "battle gyms, defeat champion, watch credits", there's also a simultaneous fleshing out of characters that aren't the protagonist, giving them motives and (admittedly flimsy) characterization. Suddenly they want to do things and you have to beat them up because there is no option in pokemon that is not monster-induced ultraviolence.

It's most blatant in X/Y where honestly most players I've talked with don't even care about the whole megastone plot and would be happy to let Calem/Serena just take the drat bracelet so they could go on with the game. But nope, Victory Is The Only Option.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Speaking of Pokemon stories, what's everyone's opinion on the Pokemon special manga? When I read it, I really liked how each protag had distinct personalities (my favorite is Diamond. He's a chill dude who wants to make kids laugh) but in hindsight it had some edgy things that the guys who made Uranium would eat up (evil gym leaders and elite 4, death, etc)

Pokemon Special/Pokemon Adventures is incredibly tryhard and it's magical for that. Everything about that manga is just so over the top that I can't not chin-hands at it. :allears:

That said, you better believe 9 out of 10 edgelords would openly bring up the Red/Green plot at the beginning of the series as "evidence" that Pokemon should be edgy and grimdark because hey they just cut an Arbok in half and there's a creepypasta :psyduck: skeleton and half the gym leaders (and all of the Elite Four) are secretly in cahoots with Team Rocket and and and

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It calms down a bit after that first two arcs when they start doing things in line with the games.

Even then you get things like Ruby/Brendan's dad (Norman) being openly abusive and the entire clusterfuck that was the FR/LG/Emerald arcs.

Basically, any time they deviate from the games at all, it takes a sharp left into :magical:, for better or worse.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm just glad we got a definite timeline for the core series games now

Okay but which timeline is the one where the Hero of Time is defeated?

Everyone has their breaking point. We've found one for a few more goons with each passing update, now.

How does this poo poo keep getting worse? Will we be worse than Major\Minor by the end? :psyduck:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It remains coherent, without violently shifting the narrative every time the writer gets a new idea. Dick Solomon has a goal (be the best, like no one ever was) and is constantly progressing towards it.

And if nothing else most of its content is a mediocre Pokemon game instead of gallons of text. It's not very good but it's not abysmal by any means.

Well, that's a point in its favor, then. :shobon:

It's just that it's trying so hard to be offensive and edgy that it's just getting more and more like, say, South Park than Pokemon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've always been curious what would happen if a human ate a TM. Would he breath fire once, gently caress up his throat and just go "This was a REALLY BAD IDEA :supaburn:

Not even pokemon eat TMs, they're like CDs except if we trust 3rd Gen you teach moves with them by slamming them onto your pokemon's forehead.

But I mean, humans just aren't compatible with any TMs. We're like Unown that way.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dexie posted:

The counterpart to that is 'why are Ghosts physical'?

No, I think that's literally the justification for Dark being Special in gens 2/3.

"Bugs and Ghosts are already physical so now Psychic needs a hard special counter too"

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

Z-Moves are just so much of a better mechanic in basically every way that it's embarrassing.

Can't transfer Z-Crystals between games. I now am obligated by blood to never reset my copy of Pokemon Moon or else I lose that Snorlium and Mewnium forever. That just ain't kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iospace posted:

Neither of those have any competitive use, to be fair. They're a trinket that just exists, like the Mewtwo mega stones.

Exactly. Some of us just want to play the single player like filthy casuals and also get shiny neat things. :saddowns: Being forced to choose between "lose your neat things forever" and "stop playing single player because you're all out of game" is something that just grates really hard on me.

• Locked thread